Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 5th January 2009, 13:17   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani View Post
Yesterday I test drove Icon. As mentioned in earlier posts, the ride is stiff but handling is decent. The power delivery is not comparable to even my Palio D. Palio has more linear power delivery. May be i am comparing with a generation old engine, but still i felt Palio is better than Icon. The Icon comes with no extras and costs 23K more than fully loaded Vista Anniversary edition.

My father-in-law stays in a village and the ford service closest to his place is started recently. Tata has a well established network.

It is almost Vista now. Thank you for all the recommendations.
Which Icon did you test drive? If it's Icon Diesel, I think the engine is one of the best ones - same is being used in Fiesta as well.
manish7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2009, 14:06   #17
BHPian

If you planning to keep the car for more than 3 years then the Vista is the obivious choice. Probability of Ikon being on its last leg is really high.
Maverick1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2009, 15:03   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manish7 View Post
Which Icon did you test drive? If it's Icon Diesel, I think the engine is one of the best ones - same is being used in Fiesta as well.
I drove the new Icon DSL with Fiesta engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
If you planning to keep the car for more than 3 years then the Vista is the obivious choice. Probability of Ikon being on its last leg is really high.
We are goi8ng to keep this car for minimum 4 years.
satish_appasani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2009, 15:14   #19
BHPian

Incase the new car is going to be chauffeur driven,then the Ikon has one of the best back seats in its segment.
zen91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2009, 15:18   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen91 View Post
Incase the new car is going to be chauffeur driven,then the Ikon has one of the best back seats in its segment.

How would you know that?
himanshugoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2009, 15:25   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
How would you know that?

Very rare that you sit in the back seat of your own car, however sat there once and liked this place also.
zen91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2009, 15:28   #22
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
I'd go with the Ikon. The vista is a Tata afterall, which equals to constant niggles and problems, which i think he can do without!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
+1 to this. At least the Ikon would be reliable !!

On the contrary, Fords are also known for their niggles and problems, for the price they charge for the car and also those huge service bills.

Ikon is nothing but new wine on the old bottle. Its already on its last leg of its journey, let apart the beautiful Fiesta engine.

Vista any day scores miles ahead of the Ikon in few points.
1) Better engine
2) Better Service network
3) Better styling
4) Better head and legroom compared to the cramped Ikon.
5) Better FE
6) Better VFM

I can go on and on. A TD would anyday clear all the doubts.

Best of Luck

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 5th January 2009 at 15:30.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2009, 16:20   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Vista any day scores miles ahead of the Ikon in few points.
4) Better head and legroom compared to the cramped Ikon.
This had better be a joke, brcause there were many who went to check out the Vista and came back saying how miserly the shoulder room in the Vista was. Or wait, were they Dutch by any chance?!
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2009, 18:24   #24
BHPian

Here is something you might not have thought of. See if your FIL is comfortable getting in and out of the Ford. The seating is too low. I noticed this when my father was recently in town and I was driving him around in my Fiesta and everytime he had to get in and out, he cursed the car like no tomorrow. At the same time he praised the Matiz that had available parellely and the Santro.

This can be a major problem for older people which we overlook and even they would have unless they experience it. Vista is a winner here.

Technically I would rate them equal or Ford a bit better, but the FIAT powertrain and drivetrain are not less than fords if FIL want to drive.
abhi1309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2009, 20:30   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
...there were many who went to check out the Vista and came back saying how miserly the shoulder room in the Vista was.
now, that ^^^ is a joke! introduce them to us, so that we can have a good laugh together!
CtrlAltDel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2009, 21:21   #26
BHPian

I beg to differ. I am driving a Tata Indica V2 DLS for the last six years (December 2002) model. I have clocked 82k so far and gives trouble free performance.

My Indica (KL 01 Z 7341)
Indica Vista Anniversary Edition Vs Ford Icon?-dsc09701.jpg
What I lack is only power, but being a seasoned driver, getting best use of clutch and gear, I used to drive pretty fast in Kerala's highways as well as now in Bangalore city roads. And now with the Turbos, DICORs and Quadrajets, power is also not an issue for Indica.

I used to drive IKON 1.3 back in Trivandrum as my office car. (KL 01 AB 2930)

Indica Vista Anniversary Edition Vs Ford Icon?-dsc06491.jpg

Getting in and out of IKON as well as the crouched driving position was always an issue for me. Otherwise the car was OK. But as others have pointed out, IKON maintenance expenses are high as well as poor mileage. But with TDCI engine, mileage would be ok, but no idea about the maintenance.

VISTA is powerful, roomier than IKON. Moreover it have novelty value as well as modern design. Resale value would also be more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
I'd go with the Ikon. The vista is a Tata afterall, which equals to constant niggles and problems, which i think he can do without!
sudheeshnairs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2009, 22:06   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

^
I am one. You want a picture of the headroom in the rear of the Vista? And I'm only 5'11.

It is a fact. Vista has alot of legroom but NOT headroom. Those things are different.

If you sit fully back, then the head touches the top of the roof. uncomfortable as well as unsafe in an accident. i've commuted over 20 times in Ikon D/Flair cabs. Less leg space but well contoured seat.

PS: We all love our cars but there's no point raising indefensible arguments.

@Ben - head room, not shoulder room.

@Kadam ji. Lovely points from a tata fan.
1. Multijet is good. However, being the cynical skeptic I am, would just say that let the cars run till 100k and beyond before we claim anything like that. The mill is from Fiat but partly made by Tata too (so my journo friends claim). We've already seen a "sedimentation" issue. The jury's still out on this one.
2. Interesting. I fail to understand how you can, courtesy the internet, judge the service networks. It is ALWAYS a franchise dependent experience.
3. Last I heard, that was an individual choice. But yes, Ikon is dated in some ways.
4. replied above
5. True.
6. Debatable. Getting a Ford sedan almost at the price of a tata hatchback ain't too bad either. But yeah, only the long term owners can well comment on the costs part.

@abhi - yes the seating is a bit lower, no doubt. But not as much as say, Esteem.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2009, 22:44   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

and hey - who am I to say anything - here's juny's own post: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ica-vista.html (Got my Indica Vista!)

Its generous, but definitely NOT more than the Ikon from my experience.

That aside - can anyone so far post a REAL pic of the limited edition vista? Sick of seeing the brochures/ads of the PS version only!!

PS: couldnt edit so double posted!
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2009, 22:56   #29
Team-BHP Support

Thanks phamilyman. IIRC, even shankar balan's review on the Vista had mentioned the same issue with the headroom at the rear. Actually, too lazy to fish out those posts, now that the thread starter has already finalized on the Vista for his FIL.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2009, 09:36   #30
Senior - BHPian

My vote goes to Indica Vista Anniv Edition, looks hot

Latheesh is offline   Reply With Quote