Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 6th January 2009, 11:08   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
benbsb29 : IIRC, even shankar balan's review on the Vista had mentioned the same issue with the headroom at the rear.
@Satish, Check the pics I had posted in the Indica Vista thread about this, and also the seats. I feel it would be good to warn your FiL about those points.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2009, 11:34   #32
Senior - BHPian

Everyone has goven pro and con of both Vista and Ikon one point from my personal observation , Ford body rusts a lot I have seen a lot of Icons with
lower portions of door rusted so that may be an issue if you are staying at a humid location.
Ofcourse I may be wrong as it can be an issue with how owners maintain the Car exterior as well.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2009, 11:46   #33
BHPian

Have never driven an Ikon so, can't comment. But my 2P on the current Indica. Driving it for 4 years and 58K, haven't spent anything till date other than servicing (oil and filter change every 5k) and normal wear and tear. The good side:
+ Built strong, I had a few encounter with other cars and in most of the cases the other side was ruined and that includes a Kolkata Taxi (amby) as well.
+ Maintenance is cheap
+ Gives me 16+ Km for each litre of diesel
+ Decent ride quality
+ Ample space

Given the Vista is miles ahead of the current Indica, it will (probably) give you a trouble free ownership.
VooDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2009, 21:49   #34
BHPian

Here are a few not-so-well taken pics of the Indica Vista Anniversary Edition. But this was all i could manage as i got an emergency call and had to go.
Attached Thumbnails
Indica Vista Anniversary Edition Vs Ford Icon?-03012009559.jpg  

Indica Vista Anniversary Edition Vs Ford Icon?-03012009560.jpg  

Indica Vista Anniversary Edition Vs Ford Icon?-03012009561.jpg  

Indica Vista Anniversary Edition Vs Ford Icon?-03012009562.jpg  

Indica Vista Anniversary Edition Vs Ford Icon?-03012009563.jpg  

BloodHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2009, 00:14   #35
BHPian

Thanks for the pictures. Feeling nostalgic to see Kulathunkal Motors of Trivandrum. I had bought my Indica from their small showroom near SMV School.
sudheeshnairs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2009, 13:06   #36
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Except for a boot and an edge in handling, the Vista beats the Ikon in pretty much all areas : Freshness, better engine, larger interiors, far better ride quality, equipment level, refinement...the list just goes on. The Ikon diesel by itself is fantastic value. But if you don't need a sedan, the Vista makes a stronger case for itself.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2009, 15:07   #37
BHPian

I look at it like this...

1.) Tata spares are cheaper and much widely available

2.) Ford and GM are into deep financial trouble right now and They might even sell some plants, discontinue unprofitable brands/models etc.

So for now, I cant suggest Ford....

Rajeev
rajismine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2009, 16:22   #38
Senior - BHPian

Agree on everything with GTO and a bit disagree on handling part. TD Vista and Ikon Tdci same day and i found Vista's handling much better than Ikon. Yes Ikon's advantage is the boot and people who do not want a boot and budget is 5 lac will strongly recommend Vista.
Though i wish it had ABS and airbags as well to make it complete.
harry10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2009, 22:49   #39
Senior - BHPian

My FIL booked Vista Anniversary edition. It is costing 5.66 - 5.7 on road and has a waiting period of 1 month. The showrooms are provided with only the display cars. The cars for sale are yet to be arrived at the dealerships.

For people who check this thread in the future, there is nothing bad about Icon. Infact it has decent power and good handling. It is the freshness of Vista is what sold me.
satish_appasani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2009, 23:38   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani View Post
For people who check this thread in the future, there is nothing bad about Icon. Infact it has decent power and good handling. It is the freshness of Vista is what sold me.
Now that's well-said, Satish.

So long as the requirements you seek from one car are met by it, thats all there is to it.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2009, 12:35   #41
BHPian

Do you guys know that Airbags is the Secondary Safety Feature. Seat Belt is the primary and most important safety feature.
sushantr5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2009, 18:56   #42
BHPian

Icon is a good car. Two of my friends are using it for more than four years and have clocked more that 40k kms. I never heard anything about maintenance from them. Icon is also pleasure to drive and specially steering feels very good to hold. But I am not sure comfort of lower sitting on long drives.

While Vista is in hatchback segment and will be good for driving due to it's higher sitting position.
sushantr5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2009, 14:15   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushantr5 View Post
Icon is a good car. Two of my friends are using it for more than four years and have clocked more that 40k kms. I never heard anything about maintenance from them. Icon is also pleasure to drive and specially steering feels very good to hold. But I am not sure comfort of lower sitting on long drives.
Just for the record, since the decision on this thread has already been made, the seating position on the Ikon is not as low as say the old Zen or Esteem or even the Accent for that matter.

For rear seat comfort, the Ikon really scores and has been recommended by many on the forum as well.
Old 15th January 2009, 16:26   #44
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
This had better be a joke, brcause there were many who went to check out the Vista and came back saying how miserly the shoulder room in the Vista was. Or wait, were they Dutch by any chance?!
, who are those many who's seen the new Vista. were they referring to the Ikon as miserable.

Compare the Ikon and Vista head on and you'll know where technology and Design has changed from the older Ikon days to the present Vista.

Why dont you test drive the Vista, you would also change your thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
^
I am one. You want a picture of the headroom in the rear of the Vista? And I'm only 5'11.

It is a fact. Vista has alot of legroom but NOT headroom. Those things are different.

If you sit fully back, then the head touches the top of the roof. uncomfortable as well as unsafe in an accident. i've commuted over 20 times in Ikon D/Flair cabs. Less leg space but well contoured seat.

PS: We all love our cars but there's no point raising indefensible arguments.

@Ben - head room, not shoulder room.

@Kadam ji. Lovely points from a tata fan.
1. Multijet is good. However, being the cynical skeptic I am, would just say that let the cars run till 100k and beyond before we claim anything like that. The mill is from Fiat but partly made by Tata too (so my journo friends claim). We've already seen a "sedimentation" issue. The jury's still out on this one.
2. Interesting. I fail to understand how you can, courtesy the internet, judge the service networks. It is ALWAYS a franchise dependent experience.
3. Last I heard, that was an individual choice. But yes, Ikon is dated in some ways.
4. replied above
5. True.
6. Debatable. Getting a Ford sedan almost at the price of a tata hatchback ain't too bad either. But yeah, only the long term owners can well comment on the costs part.

@abhi - yes the seating is a bit lower, no doubt. But not as much as say, Esteem.
Sirji, the thread starter has already confirmed booking a vista, Lets end this wishing him best for his new buy.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2009, 12:06   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
, who are those many who's seen the new Vista. were they referring to the Ikon as miserable.

Compare the Ikon and Vista head on and you'll know where technology and Design has changed from the older Ikon days to the present Vista.

Why dont you test drive the Vista, you would also change your thinking.
Thanks for the offer, which i shall consider.
Meanwhile, i still stick by what i have said, when i mentioned the space in the rear of the ikon is any day better than that of the Vista.

So, did you even check out the initial threads where people mentioned the poor headroom in the Vista? Guess you didnt.

As far as modern design is concerned, if centre mounted consoles are the new design direction, then i would prefer the retro days.