Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 24th August 2009, 21:44   #16

Hi Everyone,

Despite the common suggestion for the optra i recently bought an Elnatra GLS silver color 34K done nice condition, got it evaluated from vericar. I just went ahead with my heart i have always loved the elantra despite of its not so widely appreciated front. Now i need help reagrding following points:

I have driven it for around a week drives Ok, however i feel like going for a service and get the Engine oil , brake oil , air filters etc etc changed, could you please advice a few things which i shud take care during the service so that the car is completely fit to be taken for a long drive, though it still is.

Suggest a good engine oil please, synthetic preferably, if you guys suggest otherwise i wll go for it no problems, i was looking at shell or castrol.

I am facing a weird issue need you to coment on this one, my car has an OEM music player the problem with it is it does not switch on even wen the car is running but wen i switch on the AC the music comes on in say another 15 20 seconds and if i do not switch on the AC it does not comes on at all, wat could this be, anyone else heard about this before.

Suggest me a good service centre where i can get the service done.

please respond at your convenience people and d
zmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2009, 23:37   #17
BHPian

I really don't know much about the Hyundai service and cost of spares but I can tell you about the Chevrolet Service - they treat you like a King, I got my power steering oil seal replaced for Rs 25000/- and they told me it was a luxury car so the cost. But no guarantee that the other car will cost less to maintain, like we never know until we buy a car, my mechanic was telling me that the Engine in my Chevrolet Optra is the same as that of a Cielo.This will help you decide- the cars maintained by General Motors viz Chevrolet, Opel and Mithushibishi are fast fading out and so is the sale of the cars in India. In general my finding is that if one cannot afford a brand new car and wants a car with some resale value and will serve its purpose one should limit the search to a TATA, Maruti or a Mahindra in addition to some of Hyundai Cars, so think again before you decide and let me know what you decide, Good Luck.
venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2009, 23:47   #18
BHPian

In addition to the above most of the Chevrolet Optra are used as taxi in star hotels and later converted for resale by paying tax.The km reading is also tampered and this is obvious by the fact that you mention the car has different make tyres.These cars are great for the first 60 to 70 thousand kilometres and then there are minor problems that keep cropping up and and prompt the sale.One more reason to beware you can check this by going into the past history.
venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2009, 16:17   #19
Senior - BHPian

zmagic : hows the ride experience and FE?
wanderernomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2009, 16:31   #20
Senior - BHPian

if residual value is a consideration then just stick to the tried and tested badges. Honda City 2005
Hyundai Elantra 2005 Crdi (quite rare)
Accent
even a Baleno

But dont go for a GM car because theyve got very poor residual values
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2009, 17:50   #21
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Optra is a better bet, more widely available parts are likely as it sold in decent numbers, try for the Royal trim version
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote