Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 20th January 2009, 23:29   #1
BHPian

Default Fiat Linea Emotion or Ford Fiesta Sxi

Dear Friends -
This is my first post here. I was following Team-BHP for a while and it has become more of an addiction now.

Like many of you I was also keenly waiting for the Linea launch and was following the threads closely. But due to some reason when I visited the showroom and saw her in flesh it was more like a disappointment (May be I expected more..my mistake). I TD'd Fiesta couple of months back and I feel it has better dimensions and interiors compared to Linea. May be Fiesta may not have all that gizmos, but just wondering how much of those gizmos are really a must have? Do any of you feel there is a solid reason to opt for Linea compared to Fiesta. Am referring to Petrol models ONLY.

Personally, I disliked the following in Linea at the first sight.

1. Too bulky for me, I don't need such a huge boot
2. I couldn't find a good driving seat position
3. I felt like visibilty may be a problem
4. Interiors are not to my taste (very subjective)
5. Rear seat comfort/leg room is less for such a huge car

Considering the price is going to be more or less for Fiesta Sxi and Linea Emotion, (guess it will be 8.02 OTR and 8.0 OTR respectively in Bangalore) just wondering which would be a better choice?

Interestingly, I couldn't see many comparisons of Linea and Fiesta, everybody is comparing Linea with Honda City only. Any idea why?

Thanks
marathp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2009, 01:28   #2
BHPian

you are the first person on this forum who hasnt liked the lineas interiors!
but as you say looks are subjective.
please test drive the linea petrol before you make a decision but yes the fiesta will be more fun to drive than the linea
shantyrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2009, 02:32   #3
BHPian

When you dislike it so much, why are you even considering it? Go ahead with the Fiesta.
gr8guzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2009, 03:00   #4
Senior - BHPian

I have seen the Linea so my post may not have much weightage but I have heard that Linea is supposedly more comfortable and spacious than the fiesta and has more features too.

But Fiesta scores on pure fun to drive factor.

Decide your priorities. And yes, DO take a test drive.

I would vote for the Fiesta 1.6S only.
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2009, 03:16   #5
BANNED

To be very frank, after my experience with it, I feel Linea is too much hyped out of a car (in India) than what exactly it is. It is a good car for sure and has lots of features built into it but not a final word in it's class nor a leader. The price is too tasty now and the honeymoon period is yet to settle down.

Regarding the interiors, it is a typical Fiat car where the interior space utilisation is not very good. It leaves a bit of a tight feeling in the mind. The rear headroom was always a problem in many modern Fiat cars and Linea is no different here. Legspace also follows the same principle. You are very correct regarding the interiors though it's a personal thingy. Some like the wrap up feeling in these cars while many feels it to be claustrophobic. Maybe you and I are from the latter group of human race. LoL!

Fiat sedans which came to India always had big boots due to their hatchback origins. The addon boots in these kinda cars always happens to be bigger. But it is a very big plus point if you want to move an apartment or so. If you don't like it, then one of the biggest plus points of Linea is gone for a toss (no use for you).

The biggest benefit I see in the Fiesta 1.6 is the sheer fun to drive factor. It's a car which still maintains the WoooAHH factor in the engine department.
Another factor which tips the scales in Fiesta's favour by a big margin is the A.S.S backup of Ford. It is atleast an earth better than FiAT's.

If the drive is more important for you than the destination, then it's the Fiesta you should park in your porch. Period!
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2009, 08:06   #6
BHPian

I liked the linea very much for the looks and the features like two airbags, abs, digital meters, etc. Its build quality is excellent and it's body lines are european design so you might or might not like it.
Though I feel the linea to be little underpowered it is a great deal for the price they are offering. But you always go by how you feel after TDing both.
zaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2009, 08:26   #7
Senior - BHPian

If you are not able to find comfortable driving position, if you are not comfortable with the way interiors are, and the list, then I dont see any reason for buying the Linea. Already the car is overweight, and I am sure 1.6 Fiesta will be better and more pleasurable to drive that Linea.
Linea steering wheel is a bit too near for short drivers. May be thats why you are not able to find a good position.

Linea also does not have the same amount of interior space as the exteriors suggest. Look from front three quarter view and you will easily realize that the car was not designed with the boot in mind, it was addon and its very large.

Your arguments :
Quote:
1. Too bulky for me, I don't need such a huge boot
2. I couldn't find a good driving seat position
3. I felt like visibilty may be a problem
4. Interiors are not to my taste (very subjective)
5. Rear seat comfort/leg room is less for such a huge car
make it very clear that you are not comfortable to drive the car from point 2 and 3. And also you dont like many other points. So there is no point in zeroing in for this.

Go for Fiesta 1.6, and you wont regret your decision. Ford A.S & S. is not the best, but IMO, its better than Fiat any given day.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2009, 09:24   #8
Team-BHP Support

Well, between the Linea and the Fiesta 1.6S, it HAS to be the Fiesta 1.6S, if you are a enthu driver.

Would agree with Zak that though Linea is a very good car but it is being Hyped a bit too much (And mind you, I have a PALIO 1.6 S10)
khan_sultan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2009, 09:52   #9
Senior - BHPian

Right now Linea Petrol aint available for TD. If its Linea P vs Fiesta P . I would suggest the Fiesta 1.6 S - its one of the best drivers car within 9 lacs! If Linea interiors , driving position didnt satisfy you i guess you can go with the Fiesta 1.6 S.

P.S.: Kindly wait for sometime before booking the Fiesta , since i expect some more discounts after Linea launch.
karanraheja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2009, 11:18   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by marathp View Post
everybody is comparing Linea with Honda City only. Any idea why?
Because neither of them possess the FTD (Fun to Drive) factor

Just kiddin'. As far as your choices are concerned, if you want a car that gives you sheer driving pleasure with one heck of an engine, it can only be the Fiesta! And I would suggest the 1.6S (even though it doesn't have leather seats, it has the 15 inchers & an improved suspension) over the SXI. I'm guessing the 1.6S also comes with ABS & Airbags?
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2009, 11:34   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Driver? Love petrol? Petrol head? Get the Fiesta.

The way things are going , it maybe a Fiat Fiesta one day
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2009, 11:39   #12
Team-BHP Support

Marath, the Fiesta is a wonderful choice, specially since you have made your expectations and requirements quite clear with respect to what you are looking for in your car.

Two months down the line after the TD, if the Fiesta still evokes these emotions from you, it sure is the one your heart wants. Go Fida!
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2009, 13:09   #13
BHPian

Many of you have mentioned to go for Fiesta S. Any specific reason to this compared to Fiesta Sxi? If I add alloys to Sxi will it be comparable to S? I heard mileage is also less in Fiesta S compared to Sxi. More over though I like powerful cars, not too keen on an extra powerful one.

BTW, I got a call from concorde motors on Linea petrol, as per them it is 7.93 OTR including extended warranty. It is an offer which can't be refused . Just waiting for Petrol linea and a detailed test drive, will go and do a TD for Fiesta as well in the mean time.
marathp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2009, 13:17   #14
Team-BHP Support

my friend, you need to answer this simple question:

1. Do you enjoy driving and aspects like handling/control etc..
or
2. Will the car be a point A -B transport mechanism.

If '1', then it HAS to be the 1.6S (between Ford Fiesta/Linea)

If '2' then anything else will do -- even the Linea petrol/Sxi etc etc..

Cheers,
khan_sultan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2009, 13:19   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by marathp View Post
Many of you have mentioned to go for Fiesta S. Any specific reason to this compared to Fiesta Sxi? If I add alloys to Sxi will it be comparable to S? I heard mileage is also less in Fiesta S compared to Sxi. More over though I like powerful cars, not too keen on an extra powerful one.
The S has 15 inch alloys as opposed to the SXI's 14 inch. The suspension is also supposed to have been tweaked to deliver better road holding etc. The S comes in a gorgeous shade of Blue that you won't find on the SXI. Doesn't have leather though (which the SXI has) and IIRC, they've stinged on the music system on the S. Not sure about the ABS & Airbags, I think they're available on the S as well.

Both the 1.6 SXI & the S share the same engine specifications so I don't see why the S would be extra powerful. As I said, if you are going to be burning a lot of rubber & taking the roads by storm, go for the S. Else, go with the SXI.

Last edited by suman : 21st January 2009 at 13:20.
suman is offline   Reply With Quote