Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 10th February 2009, 13:59   #16
BHPian

I typed in to advice against it -But realised you have already gone for it - Good Luck!

Last edited by car'zy : 10th February 2009 at 14:15. Reason: Advice no longer relevent!
car'zy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2009, 14:32   #17
BHPian

My dear friends,

What is the problem with the Ikon? I plan to get the new TCDI and am getting a bit scared looking at the comments here.

Do the problems start after 50k KMs or are there niggles like the Indixx?
Proxima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2009, 14:51   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima
What is the problem with the Ikon? I plan to get the new TCDI and am getting a bit scared looking at the comments here.
@Proxima, I had mentioned this aspect of Ford ownership in another thread alongside the +ves of the Ikon-TDCi that you were considering. I don't think the Fords have any niggles - atleast not on the likes of the Indixxx. But they do have costly maintenance compared to their peers and for the petrols FE is also lesser than those in their segment. With the Ikon-D, FE should not be an issue, but maintenance costs could be a concern. It would be useful to check with people you know (on and off the forum) about this aspect.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2009, 14:55   #19

Hey , I had a very bad experience with my Ikon 1.6 maintanence. It is fun to drive , you should have a fat vallet to keep the fun on..
r_subbiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2009, 14:58   #20
BHPian

Cool, should not be a major issue then. I'll get the max. extended warranty possible to counter some of the high service and spare costs.
Proxima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2009, 14:58   #21
BHPian

@Proxima: I used to own an Ikon 1.6 Zxi from 2002 to 2006. I never had any major issue. But I do agree with most that maintenance is little on the higher side. I would assume that spare and maintenance costs should be coming down for Ikon as its a pretty old model and manufactured completely in India.

With respect to the TDCi engine, I have driven the Fiesta which has the same engine as Ikon TDCi and I must say its pretty refined and smooth to drive. May be a little less on power, but nevertheless, there is pleasure of driving.

To conclude, if you are ready to bear the maintenance cost, go ahead and pick one.
Ardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2009, 15:43   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardy
I have driven the Fiesta which has the same engine as Ikon TDCi and I must say its pretty refined and smooth to drive. May be a little less on power, but nevertheless, there is pleasure of driving.
With just 68bhp on tap, I am yet to see anyone seriously complain about lack of power with the Fiesta. Unlike the new entrant Linea with close to 90bhp IIRC and everyone feeling it to be lacking power. And that is something to say about the TDCI engine.

P.S. : During one of the weekly Chennai WTPT meets, there was this 'spirited' discussion between 2 tbhp-ians about which of their cars would be quicker - the Fiesta-D or the Safari-Dicor 2.2.
At that point of time, I bet on the Safari, though I am not really sure anymore.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2009, 15:52   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by syedhafeez View Post
He has seen a Ikon 2000 model well maintained but the color is little faded.
The owner of the car gave him an offer of 1.4L but some how he convinced the owner for 1.2L. The car has run about 56000 Km.
Is it worth buying the Ikon of 2000 model at 1.2L..??
His budget is around 1.5L.
Are you sure its done only 56k kms and not 156k kms? I sold my 2001 1.6ZXI in Jan 2007 & I'd completed 140 k kms already (though mine used to do a lot of running) - it was in very good condition but I got only 1.2 lacs, that too after a lot of searching around for an enthusiast. Buying a 2000 model for even 1.2 lacs, to my mind, would be a No-no!

One hell of a car to drive but 9 years old & out of warranty - no way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
Hey Proxima, don't worry - you're going for a brand new TDCI - get extended warranty or the Total Maintenance Plan & you're good to go for at least the next 4 to 5 years..........

Last edited by suman : 10th February 2009 at 15:55.
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2009, 16:36   #24
Senior - BHPian

Like the rest i was about to advice you againsst buying that car, but now since you have bought it. enjoy the machine. my 2000 1.6 was bought for 1.25L about a year back. heavy on maintanance and havent yet been able to get a proper CAI or an FFE which i always wanted due to the constant attention that this car requires. enjoy the beast
govigov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2009, 23:03   #25
BHPian

Hey guys can he put an LPG kit in it
Its a 1.3 clxi model
hey and by the way govigov what is CAI and FFE

Last edited by syedhafeez : 10th February 2009 at 23:04.
syedhafeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2009, 11:47   #26
BHPian

Quote:
My dear friends,

Exactly my problem as well. I was considering Ford Diesel as well, but after reading comments here, I have decided to not to buy it and considering Swift D or waiting for GP. I am also considering waiting for 6-7 months more and then buying a Linea - I have fallen in love with Linea's looks!!

- Manish
manish7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2009, 11:53   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by syedhafeez View Post
Hey guys can he put an LPG kit in it
Its a 1.3 clxi model
hey and by the way govigov what is CAI and FFE
CAI - Cold Air Intake

FFE - Free Flow Exhaust
Ardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2009, 14:03   #28
BHPian

Quote:
My dear friends,

Since we have another prospective buyer considering the car - here you go, I wouldnt advice against a new car if you are planning to keep it only for 2-3 years or thereabouts! Its a great car, suits an enthusiasts needs at its price point- all these pro's are well documented here and elsewhere.

But then, my specimen gave me immense problems once it went past the 50K mark - too many niggles, too many fixes with a PCM breakdown being the crowning glory! So, I would strongly advice against an used Ikon buy unless you can really 'afford' it!
car'zy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2009, 15:49   #29

Default what about the 1.3 2003 - onward Ikons

guys, i am planing to buy a used Ikon and found quitea few in the 1.5lac range.
any info about the maintenance of the 1.3 model will be great help ?? is it as expensive to maintain as the 1.6 ?
also does it start giving trouble after the 50 k mark is crossed on the odo.

thanks in advance ..
bama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2009, 16:24   #30
BHPian

@ Bama:

If you have a option of buying cars from an authorized dealer (like Maruti True Value) then I would suggest that you go for the said route in buying a used car. Atleast Maruti true value cars have a warranty attached to them.
Gautam Misra is offline   Reply With Quote