Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 6th February 2015, 20:03   #46

Default Re: Used Civic for 8 lacs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
I'm not sure about the B'lore price, but here in Chennai similar aged Civic is available for around 5.5L (Single owner with less than 60k on odo)

When you look for value-add (over the other sedans that you mentioned)
- Civic is a segment apart
- Better seating comfort
- Better / powerful engine
- Dynamics
- Spacious cabin

Some negatives
- Low FE
- Pay a little extra for insurance premium (>1.5L engine)
- Pricey spares
The one I'm being offered is Oct-2010 48K driven SMT. Tyres replaced 750 Kms ago and a single owner's car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
I have a used Civic.Some parts do take time, for eg a oil seal for the gear box took 2-3 days to arrive at Hass.Also the parts are frighteningly expensive.

Eg Fuel filter cost 4.5K.A shocker on each side costs 8K approx.Fact is this is a expensive car to maintain if things go wrong and believe they do go wrong so don't go under the impression of Honda reliability etc.

If it must be a Honda for you , you could try out the arrow shaped City in used form.It would do 70% of whatever the Civic does at a much lower cost.

Good Luck.
How much do you think the average maintenance cost would come around to for a 4-5 years old civic. I am good with spending little higher (10K per year may be) for a civic but if becomes exorbitantly expensive to maintain that would be a problem. My running would be mostly monthly outstation trip and not so much in city so low fuel efficiency might not be a problem. Most likely <=10000KMs in a year.

I'm not particular to Honda so if you could recommend some other good vehicle that'd be great. 3-4 years city <=40K on odo also seems to be at a similar price range (Approx 5.5 Lakhs). Vento I'm looking at is 37K driven Mar-2011 Highline Petrol and costing me 5.25 Lakhs. I'll have to change the tyres on this car so it will also come around to approx 5.5. For an additional 1 Lakh I get luxury and comfort of Civic and hence it looks tempting.

In your opinion should I wait for a good deal on Honda City or go for civic or alternatively may be expand my search and look for good deal on used T-Jet/Corolla etc.

The most I'd like to spend on the car is 6.5Lakhs.
sandeeprawat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2015, 14:15   #47
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Used Civic for 8 lacs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeeprawat View Post
The one I'm being offered is Oct-2010 48K driven SMT. Tyres replaced 750 Kms ago and a single owner's car.

How much do you think the average maintenance cost would come around to for a 4-5 years old civic. I am good with spending little higher (10K per year may be) for a civic but if becomes exorbitantly expensive to maintain that would be a problem. My running would be mostly monthly outstation trip and not so much in city so low fuel efficiency might not be a problem. Most likely <=10000KMs in a year.

I'm not particular to Honda so if you could recommend some other good vehicle that'd be great. 3-4 years city <=40K on odo also seems to be at a similar price range (Approx 5.5 Lakhs). Vento I'm looking at is 37K driven Mar-2011 Highline Petrol and costing me 5.25 Lakhs. I'll have to change the tyres on this car so it will also come around to approx 5.5. For an additional 1 Lakh I get luxury and comfort of Civic and hence it looks tempting.

In your opinion should I wait for a good deal on Honda City or go for civic or alternatively may be expand my search and look for good deal on used T-Jet/Corolla etc.

The most I'd like to spend on the car is 6.5Lakhs.
As ac overhaul cost me 12k "outside" HASS. A engine mount outside cost 5K with labor , at Honda it costs 9k. Civic is notorious for mount failure.A power steering overhaul would cost 5K outside Honda , at the A.S.S it would cost 10K. Steering rack leaked cost 12K at Honda to fix.Wheel bearings cost 12K at Honda.Brake pads at Honda cost around 6k for front set, the disc rotors around 6-7K.If the ignition coil goes kaput it costs 4.5K each and there are 4 coils.I am not trying to scare you away from buying a Civic but these figures are facts.

If you have a 6.6 lac budget.Try to get a single owner car for around 5.25 lacs maximum , leave the rest of the money for fixing things if they do fail.Once some of the common components like ac cooling coil, engine mount etc are replaced you can expect a reliable performance from the Civic.Some of the components do fail and as i have pointed out are expensive to replace.Also try to get a 2010 and above model if possible as it has some better features like cruise control etc.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 7th February 2015 at 14:21.
sumeethaldankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2015, 09:38   #48
BHPian

Default Used Car only for Family Drives !

Hello,

I currently own a Mahindra Thar which is going to be one year old next month with ODO at 11000 kms. This is the car I drive everyday as I do not have another one. When I bought my Thar, I wanted funds and I parted with my Ford Fiesta SXI 1.6 Duratech Petrol with a heavy heart. But, no regrets as I was only then able to lay my hands on a new Thar.

Now, one year is gone and my family adapted to my Thar and they were Ok with using this as our only car and infact we made couple of long distance trips to Ooty and then to Thanjavur etc., Honestly there were no big complaints.

Even though it is very rare that my parents come with me, couple of times, they also managed in my Thar. But, now, after one year (after saving some amount), I want to buy a good used car just for family purposes to make them comfortable when we go together. I will use the car only when I want to take my family whether on City trips or Outstanding long drives. Day to day, I will continue to use only my Thar as I love it.

I am budgeting a maximum of Rs. 350000 for a good used car.
I am OK with a 8 year old car i.e., a 2007/2008 model is fine for me if the condition is good and maintained well
I want a car (C or D beginning segments) and it can be Petrol as the usage is going to be limited
Based on my experience with Fiesta 1.6 petrol, I would like to have a car which is fun to drive and a DRIVER's car

Based on the above, with my limited knowledge and reading many used car threads, a Honda Civic MT would be a good deal or a SKODA Octavia which I may probably get in that range. I thought of a Toyota Corolla, but not sure whether I will get one in that range

Are these choices good ? Can you suggest any other car I should look into ?

I look forward to your suggestions and when you give your suggestion, please also let me know what I should be watching out for in that car which will help me. Kind of pros & cons.

Thanks

Swami

Last edited by swami69 : 27th July 2015 at 09:48.
swami69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2015, 09:48   #49
BHPian

Default Re: Used Car only for Family Drives !

If you are comfortable with an 8 year old car,then IMO the Corolla should be the best bet. It's not the most exciting thing ever but it is very durable and reliable like any other toyota. What's more, its also pretty comfortable, something which your family will appreciate. A 2007 top of the line model comes with all the bells and whistles that you will need. I am not recommending a civic because it scrapes every where and Honda's parts are more expensive than toyota's. You should easily find a Corolla in your budget in good condition. The skoda on the other hand will be a diesel and to me,a much better car but again the spares will be expensive.
Doge is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2015, 10:04   #50
Senior - BHPian

I agree with @Doge, get a 2006-2007 Corolla. This will satisfy all your criteria.
The car is fully loaded in most of the variants and is very reliable. Easy to maintain and does offer a surprisingly good FE.
Avoid Skoda Octavia as the maintenance will be quite high compared to Corolla.
speedmiester is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2015, 10:14   #51
Senior - BHPian

Few choices,
1) Honda Civic:
+ More Fun to drive
+ Good looking (my opinion)
- Poor Low end torque
- Low GC (but once you get used to it, nothing to worry)

2) Toyota Corolla
+ Reliable work horse
+ High GC (Compared with Civic)
+ Better FR (Compared with Civic)
+ Interior quality
- Not Fun to drive

3) Mitsubishi Cedia
+ Bigger NA engine of the lot
+ Fun to Drive
- Spare parts availability
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2015, 10:37   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

The Civic while a good choice may not be apt for the purpose you want it for (family ride for longer trips). The under body clearance may be an issue and if I am not mistaken, the Civic boot space is on the lower side which may become a problem for those long family trips.

The City is also a good option, primarily because you can get a newer model at the budget you are looking at.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2015, 10:53   #53
BHPian

Not really great to drive but felt the SX4 should be considered as well for part availability and space and ease of older folks getting in. On carwale I see a couple of diesels also available for under 4L for 6 year old cars while petrols are even more recent. I also see a couple of Etios petrol available for under 4 L for a 4 year old single owner. Would say go for a spacious vehicle with good GC and do the spirited driving on your Thar as with family you will anyway have to drive even more calmly than you do otherwise.
sjcherian is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2015, 10:56   #54
Senior - BHPian

Why not a used Sunny? I traveled in one recently and was impressed with the NVH (for a diesel). Plus its really spacious at the back.

With the limited sale, the resale value can't be too good. You may get a good piece for a bargain. Yes, the service and upkeep could be an issue as Nissan dealers are limited in numbers.
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2015, 11:33   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Why not a used Sunny? I traveled in one recently and was impressed with the NVH (for a diesel). Plus its really spacious at the back.
Sunny is good for City use (more than sufficient low end torque) but on highways it is neither Fun to drive not stable (compared with Vento / Rapid / Civic / Fiesta / Linea)
Mr.Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2015, 12:12   #56
Senior - BHPian

Since it is for highway run, I am assuming there would be some luggage and 5-6 people occasionally. So why not look for a used petrol Ertiga? It will be quite spacious and comfortable ingress/egress for your parents too. For a sedan, SX4, City and Corolla come to mind.
ashis89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2015, 12:17   #57
Senior - BHPian

Honestly, after driving the Fiesta - a Corolla will not come close to the driving pleasure of the Fiesta.
The Cedia and Skoda will have you running around for parts, so would not recommend either of those two options. The Skoda - though a wonderful machine with the 1.8 TSi, just doesn't inspire confidence in terms of A.S.S.

An interesting option might the Accord V6 if you are able to get your hands on one - supremely confortable, quick, but brought down by soft suspension and slow gearbox. Another option as already mentioned before, is the Civic.
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2015, 12:36   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
used petrol Ertiga?
I doubt it may not fit in the said budget (3.5L)
Also IMO for long drive with 5+ people his current vehicle (Thar) is far better than Ertiga
Mr.Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2015, 13:42   #59
BHPian

Thanks very much all of you for guiding me. Great suggestions.

While I want to give the comfort of a good car to my family, I do not want a dull car either. If i had not owned a Fiesta Petrol, I might not have even known what a Driver's car would be. But, after having driven it, it will be very difficult to drive a car which does not match some of its characteristics. i.e., Handling, Steering feedback and that speeding up on pushing the pedal without any strain.

But, I know, I can't get everything. That is the reason, I thought a Civic will be good and probably a Corolla is a balanced one, but will not have that feel. Skoda would be a great one, but driving an old Diesel and with its other woes, I might not look into that.

On Civic, while GC is a problem, there is another issue, which is that the car is dis-continued and I need inputs on whether the spares will be available or does a good garage can continue to service it.

I have never driven a Civic or a Corolla, let me do that at the earliest which will probably help in tilting towards one or the other.

Thanks for helping me and i continue to look forward to your suggestions & comments.

Swami
swami69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2015, 13:59   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami69 View Post
Thanks very much all of you for guiding me. Great suggestions.
On Civic, while GC is a problem, there is another issue, which is that the car is dis-continued and I need inputs on whether the spares will be available or does a good garage can continue to service it.

I have never driven a Civic or a Corolla, let me do that at the earliest which will probably help in tilting towards one or the other.

Thanks for helping me and i continue to look forward to your suggestions & comments.

Swami
Regarding spares: Honda will support with spares for the Civic for 10-15 years form the date they stopped production.

Regarding the Skoda: Since you are open to diesel - you can think about an Octavia if you get an immaculately maintained vehicle. The Octavia was a simpler machine compared to the Laura and new Octavia, and will not give you many headaches. However, spares will be pricey and you will have to wait for parts.

As an ex-fiesta owner, trust me nothing will come close to the driving pleasure of a Fiesta, except for a newer fiesta. The steering and ride/handling balance were truly something else!
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote