Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 27th July 2015, 14:16   #61
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Used Car only for Family Drives !

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami69 View Post
On Civic, while GC is a problem, there is another issue, which is that the car is dis-continued and I need inputs on whether the spares will be available or does a good garage can continue to service it.
We have a 2007 Civic at home with over 1.7L km on odo. Parts are durable and till date Honda A.S.S is able to support without any issues.
Mr.Boss is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2015, 15:35   #62
BHPian

The hunt has started !

While I remind myself again and again to be extremely patient in selecting the car I like, with many options available, I think I have to spend a considerable amount of time visiting and inspecting vehicles. To start with, I am going to visit two places tomorrow for the following and both of them are Civic V MT.

Civic, Single Owner, 2006, Silver, 64000 kms - around 3.75 L, service records, did not ask on phone
Civic, Single Owner, 2008, Silver, approx 100000 kms around 4.0 L, Company maintained service records available

This is what they quote and both says "negotiable". Both say it is in "Immaculate" condition.

Looking at it positively, if it proves that it is "immaculate" from all aspects, what should I offer for these cars ? I know immaculate could mean many things and I will anyway have to keep 50K for any eventualities. Please advise

Swami
swami69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2015, 11:36   #63
BANNED

Why not consider a LINEA in that case. You coming from a Fiesta will definitely love driving around a linea and also can get some couple of very good deals on the car.

For highway trips it will be the perfect match you could even consider the petrol version and will fit perfectly in your budget as well.

Another option could be Honda city ZX model if you hunt around you may get a very well maintained one. But since your criteria is a drivers car I would suggest to try out a Linea which will be the best bet for you.

Last edited by sheldon9588 : 28th July 2015 at 11:40. Reason: Typing mistake
sheldon9588 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2015, 02:58   #64
Senior - BHPian

Corolla
+ Good motor with strong creamy power delivery
+ Most comfy ride quality
+ Rugged and reliable
+ Will last really long
- Not quite fun to drive

Civic
+ Better to drive than a Corolla
+ VTEC
+ Looks awesome
- Low GC coupled with extremely soft rear dampers
- Poor low-end response from its motor
- Nervous at high speeds

Cedia
+ The best of the lot to drive
+ Rugged
+ Highest displacement naturally aspirated motor which is extremely tractable
+ Looks
- Poor A.S.S.

Overall, the Corolla is the easiest of the lot to live with, and if you know a good garage and are willing to source parts yourself (which is never too difficult to do for a Japanese car), then the Cedia is the most rewarding . Civic really does not make much of a case for itself apart from being a good car to pose in.

Another sensible option would be an SX4 the car is a Maruti and if taken care of well, will give you years and years of niggle free ownership. The 2006-08 M16a models without VVT were also quite fun to drive (the company ruined the dynamic nature of the car later on by adding height to the already healthy ground clearance, and giving the car softer spring rates)
IshaanIan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2015, 03:48   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks very much all of you for guiding me. Great suggestions.
While I want to give the comfort of a good car to my family, I do not want a dull car either.
But, I know, I can't get everything. That is the reason, I thought a Civic will be good and probably a Corolla is a balanced one,
Swami
Hi Swami,

I think Civic maybe the most obvious option, but IMO It is certainly not the quintessential drivers' car despite good driving dynamics due to to two reasons:

- Low torque in low gears and a frustrating Clumsy drive at low speeds
- Messed up rear suspension & Low GC

If you can mod your car then Civic can be really turned into a work of art, but if you prefer stock cars then I say look around for other examples

Corolla is nice to drive but its somehow feels like a car made for old people with Seas of grey inside. Not very tasteful, and definitely a dull car.

Linea sounds like a good option if you can live with it.

My honest suggestion to you is to also look at a 2007 Honda Accord (one with triangular tail lamps). Lots of good examples with usually low mileage specimens run around 50k and available at around 4 lakhs. Your family will love you for the acres of space & comfort. The quality of materials is very nice and the spares and maintenance is really not a problem at all. Also, though not being a very driver oriented car but it is certainly pleasurable to drive, has its own stately character and handles pretty decently for its size.

I speak from experience since I have owned one since 2007 and have not even changed a bulb in the car. Regular service / oil changes costs 3-4 k. Spares in the local market are not that expensive too. Pretty much similar maintenance to a swift diesel.

All the best in finding your Pre-worshipped Family car!
Distant Second is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2015, 09:14   #66
BHPian

Default Re: Used Civic for 8 lacs?

Considering various suggestions from TBHP and other friends who are car lovers, I have slowly drifted away from Honda Civic. I drove few Civics in the past few days where they all had one issue or the other being an used car, i still liked the looks and good interiors. One thing I did not like is getting in & out of the seats which I imagine is going to be a big trouble for my family especially for my elderly parents. The most recommended car for my Purpose is the Toyota Corolla which may not look great as civic, but I guess is a very reputed car.

I drove couple of them and instantly liked the driving position, getting in and out, descent interiors and the brand Toyota. I am close to finalizing a Corolla H2 2003 at 83000 kms, genuine mileage, service history checked thoroughly, small little hits on the fenders, lights, bumpers etc., over a period of 12 years and totally replaced by the owner. The interiors are just like out of showroom and I really loved that during the test drive. My known technical friend also gave an OK even though he pointed out few things like paint touch ups etc.,

The service history is clean and everything repaired and replaced as and when required and every year it has been serviced at Lanson Toyota. The current run is 83000 kms.

I know 12 years is too long, but for my very limited use, I am getting it at a budget and also a clean car without any big anticipated problems. I can keep it for few years and see how it goes. I may not even run 400 kms per month on an average in that car and I do not want to pump in too much money. But whenever i use it, I think it will be nice and comfortable and will not give much headaches.

I think I am pretty happy with that and Once I pay and get posession of the car, I will share more details with you all.

Thanks for all the help.

Swami
Old 3rd August 2015, 09:27   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One thing I did not like is getting in & out of the seats which I imagine is going to be a big trouble for my family especially for my elderly parents. The most recommended car for my Purpose is the Toyota Corolla which may not look great as civic, but I guess is a very reputed car.

Corolla seating posture is more suitable for elders. Also the rear seat is more comfortable than Civic IMO
Quote:
I am close to finalizing a Corolla H2 2003 at 83000 kms, I think I am pretty happy with that and Once I pay and get posession of the car, I will share more details with you all.
Congratulations. Awaiting your Ownership review.
Mr.Boss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2015, 08:58   #68
BHPian

Default I bought my pre-owned Toyota Corolla

I got my pre-owned Toyota Corolla H2 a couple of weeks back. I had to immediately travel overseas after that and could not take much pictures for a review which I will post soon. Things I did after taking delivery..
  • Changed all four tyres to Yokohama Earth 1
  • Did a Check up service with Lanson Toyota
Two points they noted were
a. The rear brake discs are little bit out of tolerance and needs to be replaced. But suggested that I can bring it at the next service if I do not see any problem
b. One of the drive shaft boot needs to be replaced

One issue I am trying to address is the left head light which gets condensation. It could be because of some crack and when I drive, the air enters / pierces through that and condensation occurs and this is what my guess is. I think I need to replace it totally. Now, I am hunting for a good after market replacement in GP Road. If any of you know a good shop, please suggest.

Overall it is excellent to drive and so comfortable. The A/C is a chiller and everything else seems OK.

swami
swami69 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2015, 04:59   #69
BHPian

Can anyone explain me whether there was any difference in GC of pre 2010 models and the newer 2010-13 models. Also the issue of low end torque got sorted out in 2010-13 models or is it the same ?

I am looking for used civics and have seen 2012 models. Just not sure about it.
Metallicar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2015, 08:49   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallicar View Post
Can anyone explain me whether there was any difference in GC of pre 2010 models and the newer 2010-13 models. Also the issue of low end torque got sorted out in 2010-13 models or is it the same ?

I am looking for used civics and have seen 2012 models. Just not sure about it.
Nope no difference in GC but rear dampers were stiffened in the facelift 2009- thus the car did not sag as much when loaded with friends. Low-end torque was always lacking. Might I suggest a Mitsubishi Cedia unless you are looking for an auto? The car handles better, can take some abuse with good GC and rally pedigree, has a more tractable engine and quite spacious interiors
Old 1st September 2015, 21:54   #71
BHPian

Even I'm looking for used Civic in Chennai but reading the above posts, I guess I need to stay away as I can get better cars for the same price.

@IshaanIan, talking about Cedia, any problems with the parts availability, maintenance costs etc?
Astonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2015, 22:29   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astonite View Post
@IshaanIan, talking about Cedia, any problems with the parts availability, maintenance costs etc?
Check with dealers in your city and even if there are issues with availability here, any reputed independent garage should easily be able to source parts if not import them for a Cedia. One thing one must keep in mind is that sourcing parts for Japanese cars even if they need to be imported, is easier and cheaper than you may think.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 1st September 2015 at 22:32.
Old 7th September 2015, 10:55   #73
BHPian

Friends, after being on this thread, I eventually bought a used Toyota Corolla and I have posted the review in the forum (Why did I buy a 12 Year old Toyota Corolla - My experience). Have a look if interested. Thanks.

Swami

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 8th September 2015 at 12:12. Reason: Inserted URL for the thread.
Old 8th September 2015, 11:10   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Nope no difference in GC but rear dampers were stiffened in the facelift 2009- thus the car did not sag as much when loaded with friends. Low-end torque was always lacking. Might I suggest a Mitsubishi Cedia unless you are looking for an auto? The car handles better, can take some abuse with good GC and rally pedigree, has a more tractable engine and quite spacious interiors

I am looking for options. Started with Civic because of its looks. It was my favorite when I was young. I had thought of making my childhood dream true. But may be not. Low GC, low mileage and low end torque is going to keep me away. Also the model is discontinued for 2 years now and I don't see it coming back as of now.

I looked for Cedia too but all the ones available for sale are heavy on odometer and are quite old.

Now I am looking for Jetta and Octavia (2013) models. Jettas are available for 9-10L depending on models. Petrol Jettas of 2011-2015 models are available at relatively lesser price but I am thinking of going diesel because of its higher BHP and mileage. Will take TD for some and then decide. I am not able to find Octavias in this range.

It feels so good to post without waiting for a moderator to approve my post.

Last edited by Metallicar : 8th September 2015 at 11:12. Reason: Additional Comment
Metallicar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2017, 15:53   #75
BHPian

2012 Jan Civic V MT
50000 kms
2nd owner
Full service history @ Sundaram Motors
Tyres changed at 40000 kms
No known/upcoming issues/remarks from dealer as pointed by the seller

I have not seen the car.

What would be a fair price to offer in Chennai ? Kindly assist so that I get an idea to benchmark for this and any future finds. Thanks.

Swami