Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 12th March 2009, 12:14   #16
Default OHC config

honda city 1.5 exi(yr 2000.) in excellent condition. kms run 82000.
*color-heather mist/light gold
*black leather interior
*15'' alloy wheels imported
*205/50/15 tubeless impoted tyres
*mp3-USB-CD player- 4 speakers(F/R)
*2 X 12''subwoofers + amp(2)
*performance branded air intake and exhaust system

is it worth buying it for 2.5L ???

Thread MERGED. Please use the search feature before creating a new thread on a topic that might already exist. Please continue your discussion in an existing thread. This will keep all the relevant information in one place and make it easier for readers in the future.

Post EDITED since it contained various [FONT], [COLOR] and [SIZE] tags.
Posting with such text formatting should be avoided on Team-BHP as it is inconvenient for members to read post.
Kindly go through Announcements section before proceeding.

Thanking You for your anticipated co-operation

The Team-BHP Support

Last edited by Jaggu : 12th March 2009 at 12:41. Reason: Search before opening new thread. Thanks
Old 18th July 2009, 01:29   #17
Default Suggestion for used Car for 8-10 months

I am looking for a car for next 8-10 months time. as I must sell it within a year, so not looking for a new car right now. Budget is not fixed as such, but thinking of something in the range of 2-3L.

I have driven a Palio Sports in past and recently was driving a SAAB 9-3 while I was in UK. Currently looking at something like

Mitsubishi Lancer
Fiat Petra/Adventure
Ford Ikon 1.6
Accent Viva 1.6 or CRDi
-- --- --

Can increase the budget by 1L if getting a real good deal on a relatively newer/better car. Is it advisable to look for a Tata Safari/Scorpio for ~4L ? can I get a decent SUV in that budget ?

Could you please suggest me some more options that I can look at. Please note that I am currently not considering any hatchbacks. And no Esteem / Indigo / Logan as I don't like these.. (my personal opinion).

Do you guys think that this is a workable plan/budget. Need a reliable car, with a bit of punch. Not much concerned about best in class FE.. if it is average, I am fine with that. because the daily run is not going to be much (20-25KM). Will be used mostly for home-office commuting and some weekend driving in around the city.

Kindly suggest.

mittal_v2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2009, 19:44   #18
Team-BHP Support

If you want to buy a car for only 8 - 10 months of use, best to choose a model that suffers from massive depreciation, has already depreciated or one that will hold its residuals well.

With the Lancer, Petra & Baleno, you are pretty much on the right track. I'd include a Y2001 - 2003 Honda City in that list too. Look for the newest / best maintained / lowest mileage example of any of these cars. Once you see something you like, don't hesitate. Shop smart and you could end up with a years ownership for free (resale at the same price).
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2009, 20:11   #19

Id suggest stay away from a second hand Safari (reliability woes - IMO). If you could up your budget to 4-4.25L you could lay your hands on a NHC or a Corolla. Id strongly recommend either of these over any others - due to the peace of mind factor associated with them.
Zensi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2009, 20:14   #20
Senior - BHPian

I suggest you Baleno and Lancer. Problem with lancer is that most of the cars are heavily modified or some changes are done. This is not what you want.
I suggest you look at baleno. We have one and I can say its better than Lancer. Its a nice car to drive, good FE and is very very reliable. No issues so far.

Lancer, you can take a plunge, but only if the car is not worked upon. Generally the work on the cars is carried out by those who are not professionals and works are often shoddy.
aaggoswami is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2009, 23:54   #21

I would say try for a 2001- 2002 ish Honda City it is a nice reliable car and in your budget also.
Also you wont have any issues selling it an year later
Bailee_Jatt_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2009, 10:51   #22

Thanks for your valuable comments. I too was looking for a 2002/3 VTec OHC but have not come across any decent car so far.

However, currently I am considering a Lancer 1.5 GLxi (Manufactured Jan 2003, Registered Apr 2003). I drove the car and it felt nice, I felt this a bit underpowered, but that could be the hangover of driving a 185BHP car for last couple of years..

Owner does not have the manual of the Lancer, seems he has misplaced that. Could someone please tell me the standard specifications of the car. I am not able to find these details on the internet.

Also, what mileage (Km/L) shoud I expect from this car ? Are there any particular things to check in the car. It has done 72K KM. Are there any major services/replacements scheduled for the car at this age/mileage?

Kindly suggest.

mittal_v2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2009, 12:28   #23
Senior - BHPian

You will find difficult in maintaining the lancer without proper A.S.S.better stay away from it.
Its always better to play safe and go for Baleno or OHC,were you get nice service backup & doesn't require a deep pocket it maintain these breeds.
Absolutely suitable for the price u r looking for.
Ramsagar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2009, 15:15   #24
Default 1.3 exi

Originally Posted by loving_alaap View Post
Get the 2002-03 OHC, and you will love the car.

Many used car dealers are even offering the buyback plan also.

So, take advantage of those plans & give your car back to the dealer.

After a year, you can sale it to a BHPian also, you may try to put the car in classified section. I am sure there are many OHC lovers here, including myself.

Its been long time I was in search and trying to get hold of OHC type II (2000 -2003 models). My wish list

included Heather Mist color (best color per me for OHC), single owner, preferably driven less than 50k,

that's it.

Finally have come across a Single owner 1.3 Exi OHC/2002 June model/25k km driven/comp insure -June

2010/Heather Mist color/bangalore registration.

Its in stock condition, even the casette stereo player is still there.

Car I felt and per se I believe is geniune 25k km run, since the brake while I felt firm for that km, and

tyres also said so. Anyway that I will confirm from a mechanic, if possible Honda guy only and rest all

including suspension, if any thing hit from bottom or hit on gearbox and oil sump.

No body dents and blemishes, except a small dot on left front door caused by some two wheeler and little

paint touch required on left portion of front bumper.

Now coming to most juicy part, money matters.

Owner has been mostly abroad, so only the less km driven. Asking price was 4 lakh, and now as a final

offer is 3.5 lakh, else he plans to take it to mumbai.

I initially quoted 2.75 lakh, now he has given me one more chance to bid the final offer. My mind says

nothing more than 2.90 lakh or max of 2.95 lakh in case some negotiation goes on.

Honda lovers, admirers, exclusive and proud honda owners, I don't know its been a craze to get a OHC from

the time I knew about honda engines, rev's, 90 -100 bhp at your disposal, I been madly in love for OHC.

I prank for my mad towards Honda, rather thank T BHP for all that information I got regarding Honda.

So let me know what should be a right offer assuming that 25k km is genuine, which I will confirm this

weekend. Before that appreciate your valuable suggestions, comments and the correct offer I can make to

this guy.

Additional Info needed :

1. Can we retro fit body colored side beeding on the door. Its black on 1.3 OHC models. Body colored looks

2. Can we change the door handles to body color, it enhances the look.

3. Chrome beeding on the door frames (seen only on 1.5 OHC and Vtecs'), can we fit this into 1.3 OHC's.

prsnck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2009, 15:19   #25

4L! Way too costly! I bought a 2002 OHC, Heather Mist, 1.5 Exi AT, 135K kms run, for 2.2L. (Had to spend about 30K Needed some work to bring it to shipshape). So the landed cost is 2.5L.
Since the car you are looking at is has run a lot less, add 25K, So your price of 2.75L is good. Rest is premium for owning a Honda!

dipydoo is offline   Reply With Quote