Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 3rd March 2009, 11:53   #1
BHPian

Default Need car for an year, should I get myself an OHC?

Hi Guys, This has been an interesting decision to say the least. This is the situation. I recently moved to Mumbai from Pune in November and will be here for an year and then head to the US for a longish stint. I need a car for Mumbai for a year at least.

When the ANHC got launched I was nearly certain I was going to get it untill a mix of family objections commiting to 9 lakhs when I am leaving next year, being underwhelmed somewhat by its interiors and equipment levels, and the deteriorating economic climate tempered my enthusiasm somewhat and led me to conclude it didn't make sense to spend 9 lakhs plus which translates to 17k per month for the AHNC with my requirements in mind.

Next I looked at the i20 and since it is far more affordable than the AHNC, around 11k per month, and is loaded thought might get the needed family approval but then after a test drive was disappointed with the power and won't have fun owning or driving this. But its still an option for my needs at the moment which is a decent car. So out of the blue while I was reading the forum yesterday it occured to me I could go for a second hand car and get myself an OHC at that, a car I like and this forums favourite.

It fits in perfectly with my plans. I don't have to go through the hassles of loans, emi's and can leave at will without thinking too much about the car. I am thinking a budget tof 2-2.5 lakhs might suffice for a decent condition OHC that will give trouble free service.

What do you guys think, should I go for the OHC, and more importantly since it going to take significant time and effort to locate a decent condition one can anyone in Mumbai or Pune help me get hold of one? The only worry when buying a second hand car is being stuck with a lemon and squandering tons of time, effort and money on getting it going.
raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2009, 15:03   #2
BHPian

Wise Decision. For that kinda money OHC is a fantastic deal, provided you get yourself a well maintained one. Stretch your budget a bit and go for 02-03 model. IF power is something you want( as you were disappointed by i20, i would suggest Vtec, a pure enjoyment machine.

Cant help with Mumbai, but you could check out the used car sections on various websites, or to be on the safer side Visit a Auto-Terrace (Honda's Authorised Used Cars) at any Honda Dealer.
ScorpMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2009, 16:35   #3
BHPian

Get the 2002-03 OHC, and you will love the car.

Many used car dealers are even offering the buyback plan also.

So, take advantage of those plans & give your car back to the dealer.

After a year, you can sale it to a BHPian also, you may try to put the car in classified section. I am sure there are many OHC lovers here, including myself.
loving_alaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2009, 17:31   #4
BHPian

Thanks for the encouraging replies, the more I think about it the more sense it makes.

However not keen to spend more than 2.5 tops for the OHC, unless folks here feel that for 3 is a more ideal price get a decent car. More than 3 is out of the question because I don't have the money. Won't a 2003-2003 1.5 exi fit that budget?

I checked out the classifieds here and at Carwale, Automart and Sulekha. None available here, most of the cars at the other sites seem to be suspiciously low mileage for their age. How does one get in touch with auto terrace, didn't find any numbers on the Honda site.
Old 3rd March 2009, 18:11   #5
BHPian

Getting a 1.5 in decent condition for the price you've mentioned is quite unlikely. But, still give it try and search the market, U never know..

And, you need to visit any of the Honda showrooms to find a no. of used OHC.
ScorpMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2009, 19:43   #6
Senior - BHPian

Raul - Also look at a 2000-2002 Lancer, 2 lakhs should fetch you a mint piece & you can sell it for nearly the same amount once it's time to leave.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2009, 01:32   #7
Senior - BHPian

Agree with Iraghava:
check the lancer. It won't be as fast, but is a much better all rounder than the OHC.
Try getting the 2001 lancers as they are more reliable and better built.
lamborghini is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2009, 02:35   #8
Senior - BHPian

The Lancer & OHC are definitely cars to look at. I'm sure a good Baleno might do the trick too,but thats if you like the car. An OHC sure sounds the best of the lot!
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2009, 12:01   #9
BHPian

I had not considered Lancer honestly, don't know much about it. Isn't the Lancer is bit of a guzzler, what about maintenance costs?

Currently I am doing around 40-50km a day from home at Goregaon to office at Andheri East with around 4 trips to Pune from Bbay a month. But if the Lancer is available at similar prices it's definitely something to look out for. Could be a good deal.

The only problem buying a second hand car is the sheer effort required. Does anyone have any contacts, recommendations for Pune/Mumbai because so far in 2 days of searching I have drawn a blank.
Old 4th March 2009, 12:12   #10
Senior - BHPian

@raul: Actually, I was amazed by the FE of our lancer. under hard driving it gave me 9 in the city, 50km/day. Under proper driving, it was always 10+. I am sure you will get a better average.
Also, with the lancer, there is a lot of things you can do to the car aftermarket.
BTW, with 50km/day, look at the lancer diesel as well. not as fast, but still FTD. Look for ownership reviews here.
And maintainance should be better as prices have reduced.

check New Cars, Used Cars, Buy Cars, Sell Cars, New Car Prices, Used Car Prices - CarWale.com for deals. I saw a few out there.
lamborghini is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2009, 20:17   #11
BHPian

That's encouraging to hear, the hunt is on, hoping for quick results, have already located around 4 OHC's in Pune through friends, the ones in Bbay I have found are dealers and the kms look suspiciously low. Found a 2003 VTEC 59000km with a dealer here in Mumbai, haven't seen it yet, asking for 310000 which is a bit much imho.
Old 4th March 2009, 20:28   #12
BHPian

OHC is a good bet for your requirments, I just find it a little less on space campared to a Lancer. You my want to try Boleno as well.
musicmanaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2009, 21:47   #13
BHPian

Update on my car hunt. I have seen 4 OHCs, all single owner in Mumbai so far. The first was a 2001 Vtec at 240000, was not in good shape and engine sounded pretty stressed and at 54000km very obviously tampered meters. Next saw a 2003 1.5 maroon exi at 325000 in just about ok shape but passed due to the price and a 2002 1.5 exi which again was in poor condition.

Finally saw a pretty decent, infact quite good spotless grey 2003 1.5 EXI, but the dealer is asking for 295000 which I feel is high. The car has been recently painted by the dealer which might explain its spotless condition and which raises some alarms, the km says 54000 but the Michelin tyres which are obviously not OEM are pretty worn out so raises questions about the km reading. This car is decent shape but I would not pay more than 260 and the dealer is unlikely to budge. Any thoughts on this. Also is there any way to tell the real km reading, can the honda folks do it?

Found a number of cars in Pune too which I will check out in the weekend, apparently in the second hand market cars from Pune are rated better than cars from Mumbai. We will see.

Last edited by raul : 8th March 2009 at 21:52.
Old 9th March 2009, 00:40   #14
Senior - BHPian

Raul - Did you check by which Honda dealer the car was originally sold by ? If yes then with the registration number, call that dealer & tell him you don't remember when your car number XXXX was serviced last & would like to know the same so you can send it for service if needed. Should get you the information you need if it was maintained in the official circle otherwise at worst it'll get you the last service mileage at that dealership.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2009, 11:07   #15
BHPian

No Iraghava, Just looked at the car and took a short test drive. Got a good feeling about the car the moment I saw it. The painting thing and odo reading thanks to the worn out Michelin is a concern though. But that's a good idea, will try to find that out, the dealer and service record should hopefully give a more accurate odo reading. The car is a single owner and was owned by a pretty well known pharmaceutical company based in Worli.

Am going to try to get him down to 260 today but skeptical, he's one of those take it or leave it types. Anyway have lined up around 8 cars to see in Pune, and will only take this forward once I see those.

Last edited by raul : 9th March 2009 at 11:10.