Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 5th March 2009, 20:07   #16
Senior - BHPian

I would be hesitant to get a car thats been around for that long too. Are you sure it hasnt been used as a demo car or anything ? At least if the price was low , it would have been worth considering. At 4.3 lacs you might as well top up and get a brand new palio stile at least.
bottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2009, 20:15   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Cars donot become lemons by virtue of just standing. And on reliability front FIATs are anyday much ahead of any TATA car and thats why the SWIFT and Indica Vista use FIAT MJD engines.

Hence request you to stop bad mouthing cars without actually having owned them.

@ neo: Petra is a absolutely faboulous car. The price quoted by the dealer may be slightly high. You need to check the tyres and rubber parts/belt and if you feel they show signs of crack get them replaced before taking delivery. If the car is for keeps and you are going to drive yourself, then this definitely the car to buy.
I am not badmouthing fiat. I'm just badmouthing the average tata, heck, why single them out, Indian dealer. I wouldnt touch a car that has been more than a month in the garage. When taking delivery of my car, i pointed out a defective rear parcel tray, which was swapped with one from a car lying in stock. I can only imagine what else these cars might have undergone.
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2009, 21:16   #18
BHPian

Thumbs up Decided - Not Till Fiat relaunches the Petra

Thanks Guys, I guess I am dropping the plan of the Petra, may go for a 2nd hand sedan or even the original love, the Fiat Adventure, the decider has been the exp by green horn "When taking delivery of my car, i pointed out a defective rear parcel tray, which was swapped with one from a car lying in stock. I can only imagine what else these cars might have undergone."

Thanks for your input guys. I still love the build and room of the Fiat cars, I guess when you have a great product, you'd expect it to fly of the shelf. But life aint perfect,wish the fiat guys would take that in account and get a maverick as their Sales and Marketing Head and support him/her to the hilt. The perception of Fiat does not deserve to be where it is right now. For a car that give so much in terms of space, comfort and the whole package, Hyundai and Maruti don;t even come close except for brand perception, but that's for another thread.
neofromcapone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2009, 22:53   #19
Senior - BHPian

I think used would be the better way to go. at least you'll be dealing with a known set of problems , and you'll be enjoying the benefits of the killer depreciation which plagues these otherwise terrific cars, instead of being at the receiving end
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2009, 08:37   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofromcapone View Post
But life aint perfect,wish the fiat guys would take that in account and get a maverick as their Sales and Marketing Head and support him/her to the hilt.
I'm willing to take up that job so if you know anyone please put in a word
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2009, 09:11   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
Petra, even though a good car has been out of the market for long. Spares would be more difficult compared to Palio.
Spares,perse, are not a problem as Petra shares the parts with its 1.6 hatchback sibling which is still in production.

But I agree,its better to stay away from a car thats with the dealer for long.

By the way,neofromcapone,if you dont mind can you please share the details of this car.Spoke to Mangesh yesterday and he denied any 1.6 Petra's existing in their stock.Fiat does have 1.9D's which are being used by their executives and they could come cleared off by fiat in the future
jraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2009, 10:17   #22
BANNED

Neo go with the car with the kind of discounts you are getting on it, also make sure that the car will carry 1yrs warranty from the date of purchase.

See to that the RC book also shows the recent date and see that it is not registered earlier, Petra is a very good car the only disadvantage in the car was the back looks other than that it is a one very good vehicle.

No need to worry about the service and spares.
gowda79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2009, 15:41   #23
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Neo go with the car with the kind of discounts you are getting on it, also make sure that the car will carry 1yrs warranty from the date of purchase.
You are kidding right? Cars are built to run; this petra has in all probability been stationary for 2 years, if not 3. Actually, ignored is a better term. Thus, its electrical system would have detereorated, some panels rusted and rubber parts gone rotten.

Then, there is also the chance of a dealer using the dead inventory for parts, for the maintenance of his customer cars. Or the car could have been used as a test-drive vehicle.

This car is a dud, neofromcapone. Me & Rt were tempted on buying an old stock Palio 1.6 from Shaman in 04 - 05, but (sensibly) walked away.

Quote:
No need to worry about the service and spares.
Some fiat spares aren't easily available.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2009, 15:46   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have no issues with the resale price. I am looking a it for keeps, hence I want to ensure the ownership costs are not too high.

I am getting it around 4.3L And I believe this one was abt 5.5L when it was in production. What should be a good price.
@ Deepak, what is the running cost to expect.
4.3 L for how many Petras. If it is three, then go for it. Keep the other 2 for parts replacement.
vasudeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2009, 15:56   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Some fiat spares aren't easily available.
Totally agree.

I recall seeing a Petra on sale in our classifieds section. I think it was a member from Thane who wanted to sell his Petra. Seemed to be well kept. Check it out.
iceman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2009, 00:47   #26
BHPian

@GTO I am not buying it as soon as GreenHorn pointed out that such cars could be used as a parts bin. @Vasudeva you raised the most hilarious point, I agree with you. @Iceman7, just got in touch with the gentleman in Thane for his petra, And guess waht, I just saw a black adventure in malad up for grabs. Lets see if that works as I would love the adventure of owning an adventure
Old 8th March 2009, 22:28   #27
Senior - BHPian

The price is very steep. Stay away unless you are sure the car has been stored properly (very unlikely).
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2009, 22:38   #28
BHPian

@Bottle, I would love to see your signature materialize on the road. Petra is closed and shut, I will look at shantyRocks petra and there is a black adventure Nov 2006 20K odd kms, what shuld be a good price? Its a clean car
Old 23rd March 2009, 14:04   #29

Hello,
Instead of opening a new thread I would like to continue in this one... because of the similarities with my query anyway..
I have been a long time reader of Team BHP just to get knowledge about the cars around from the experts here..

Recently some transportation situations around me has compelled me to think about geting a car for my family of three(me and my parents) for a twice a month commute to around 200 km each trip... and once in an year a very long trip..(both mostly restricted to highways, not much city driving)
Also I like Fiat as a brand and was thinking of petra which is available on carwale.com second hand for about 2lakhs.(fitted with an LPG kit, 2005 EL PS model)
Why petra, cause one of my relatives has one and the riding experience (not driving - i dont know driving yet :P) was awesome.

Plus I am a very budget bounded customer and I HATE hatchbacks..
yea a very self negating statement.
So is petra a still good second hand car? or is my fate restricted to some hatchback?

Thanks in advance..
Cheers!
x3qt0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2009, 15:18   #30
BHPian

Quote:
@Bottle, I would love to see your signature materialize on the road. Petra is closed and shut, I will look at shantyRocks petra and there is a black adventure Nov 2006 20K odd kms, what shuld be a good price? Its a clean car
Hey Neo,

I recently helped a Banglore guy to buy a excellent piece of Adventure Black 1.6 which had done hardly 10k from direct owner!

That guy did mentioned there are other Adventures available with dealers! Probably one of those you have looked on.

Anything less than 3.5k would be a good price for a decent maintained Adventure 1.6!!

But..be very cautious buying from a Dealer. Look for in and outs of the car and first try to find a problem before you sign it off!

Also please share the details of the dealer who has the last piece of Petra with him!

Cheers~
rudrah is online now   Reply With Quote