Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 1st April 2009, 15:49   #16
BHPian

Yup lots of 2006 civics available at carwale at 7-7.25, I even saw a 2007 smt done 10500km for 7 at another site. Now that's a sweetheart deal if its in perfect condition. Perhaps this economic climate is the best time to lookout for good deals.
raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009, 16:43   #17
BHPian

@reignofchaos: Although the cedia is a really good car, im not considering it because comfort is a priority.The Embera comes with rear a/c ducts, not to mention the actres of legspace and the good ride(although handling is altogether a different story). Also I do not plan to go around the racetracks with this car and occasional highway drives are more in order with reasonable acceleration characteristics.I beleive AFTER SALES SERVICE is one area where YOU JUST CANNOT PICK FAULT with the Hyundai brand.

Cheers.
octane1002 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009, 17:40   #18
BHPian

octane i must say sonata embera sounds like an intelligent choice. Though i'm a big fan of accord and its high revving engine but sonata sounds like such a steal of a deal. And as someone already mentioned, you can use the rest of the money to do couple of modifications.
ashish22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009, 17:48   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane1002 View Post
@reignofchaos: Although the cedia is a really good car, im not considering it because comfort is a priority.The Embera comes with rear a/c ducts, not to mention the actres of legspace and the good ride(although handling is altogether a different story). Also I do not plan to go around the racetracks with this car and occasional highway drives are more in order with reasonable acceleration characteristics.I beleive AFTER SALES SERVICE is one area where YOU JUST CANNOT PICK FAULT with the Hyundai brand.

Cheers.
Well you mentioned performance as a primary criteria and hence the suggestion. If ride comfort and rear legroom is the primary reason to buy the car, you can't go wrong with the Embera. It has better ride quality than Accord and since resale is rock bottom, you'd get a good deal on a used one.

Cheers!
reignofchaos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009, 22:29   #20
BHPian

@reignofchaos: but then whats a good price for it?
Old 2nd April 2009, 10:49   #21
Senior - BHPian

5-5.5 is a good price. Any more is not worth it. Do be aware the embera petrol has very poor FE. Expect 5-6 in the city.
reignofchaos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2009, 11:02   #22
BHPian

Carwale price

CarWale CarValue : 2005 Hyundai Sonata Embera MT(Fabric) in Kolkata

If you are buying a car

Individual Value
Car Condition Excellent Good Fair Car Value (Rs.) 7,44,500 7,15,800 6,69,000

Dealer Value*
Car Condition Excellent Good Fair Car Value (Rs.) 7,74,500 7,30,500 6,76,000

so, your quote is reasonable (according to carwale)

MAx stretch around 5.25-5.5.

This kind of car (3 year old sonata, with excellent condition, with unbelievably done only 14K km) is very rare to find.

Don't let it go. Grab the opportunity.

Last edited by loving_alaap : 2nd April 2009 at 11:06.
loving_alaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2009, 11:06   #23
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Though I like the Sonata, it is the diesel that is impressive. The petrol is a very uninspiring drive.

In this case : Undoubtedly the Accord:

1. Previous gen was a superb car in its own right. Great interiors and more driver-oriented than the current Accord.

2. The Accord petrol is infinitely better to drive than the Sonata.

3. The price difference is only 1.5 lakhs! Don't bother about the mileage. Accords are good for 2 - 3 lakh kms.

You might want to consider 2006 - 2007 Civics as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
The civic was available in 2006?
Sure was. '06 was the year of introduction.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2009, 11:09   #24
Senior - BHPian

Carwale.com prices are usually on higher side.
ashthedivx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2009, 21:30   #25
BHPian

The Accord is in good condition.

But its no match to the spotless(TRUST ME WHEN I SAY SPOTLESS) deep pearl blue(IMHO its better than the BMW blue even.....My colleague who's absolutely in love with his black Honda City exclaimed -"Black is so.....passe"...its that good) Sonata.

You(I??) DONT/WONT get any cleaner cars than this....company maintained car.....saw the insurance certificate....its got a NO-CLAIM BONUS OF 65%(isnt that the max??)

Should there be any doubts in my mind now???????

Last price for the car is 5.25.He is
not willing to budge any more considering the condition it is in.What do I do?

Friends please help me out...What would you do in this situation?
Old 2nd April 2009, 22:16   #26
Senior - BHPian

Seems like you have set your mind on the sonata. It is not a bad car in any way, the accord is definitely more fun to drive but if you like the sonata then go ahead and buy it, you cannot go wrong with a hyundai.
The accord is slightly more FE than the sonata. But the sonata costs a lot less than the accord.
I would not consider a civic as it is a much smaller car than the accord and embera and is obviously not as luxurious.
Your best buy would be a diesel sonata embera if you can find one.
cooldude1988765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2009, 22:21   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Now the most interesting used driver's car would probably be a Petrol Ford Mondeo. However it would cost quite a bit to maintain. If you are okay with that, look for used ones.

Hey is it me or the prices you've mentioned for those cars really really good deals?

IMHO I would go in for the Accord. The Sonata might feel really good deal now but you shouldnt regret later that you didnt go in for the Accord.
quickdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2009, 22:43   #28
BHPian

Let me put it in a better way. as i said earlier performance is a criteria.

@QUICKDRAW:But not that im goin to attack corners or something with my ride.

Call me boring but short bursts of acceleration on a highway will bring a huge grin on my face. And in a straight line the Sonata more or less will keep up with the Accord.
I really have my doubts if the Accord can hold a light to the Sonata's comfort.

Also Hyundai spare parts are any day cheaper than Honda...and thats an understatement if you know what i mean. FE is not a criteria for me.

@cooldudeiesel is out of question look at my monthly running and you'll understand for me it just doesnt make sense to pay a premium of around a lakh and a half for the Embera Crdi when the petrol is more refined and powerful(torque figures are meaningless since its outright acceleration that im looking at and not mile munching abilities.Hope the picture is clearer now)
Old 2nd April 2009, 23:47   #29
Senior - BHPian

I never mentioned anything pertaining performance. I was talking more on the lines of desire, droolworthyness etc.
quickdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2009, 01:20   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane1002 View Post

Call me boring but short bursts of acceleration on a highway will bring a huge grin on my face.

a premium of around a lakh and a half for the Embera Crdi when the petrol is more refined and powerful(torque figures are meaningless since its outright acceleration that im looking at and not mile munching abilities.
Sorry - But you have just contradicted yourself!

Outright acceleration is one thing, and in-gear acceleration is quite something else!

I dont know if you have driven the diesel - if you have not then I recommend that you take a test drive and you'd be surprised. The diesel Embera will run circles around the petrol one any day!

Torque figures are EVERYTHING - esp for what YOU say you want the car to do!

All the best !

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
I was talking more on the lines of desire, droolworthyness etc.
Both are highly subjective... wouldn't you say so??

Last edited by kb100 : 3rd April 2009 at 01:23.
kb100 is offline   Reply With Quote