Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2014, 22:02   #61
BHPian
 
nikhilj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Delhi
Posts: 44
Thanked: 8 Times
Smile Re: Does a 2006 Sonata Embera Petrol make any sense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-c...ol-manual.html

Someone else is also interested in Sonatas...
Thanks a lot for the link. Will definitely add exposure to the post


Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
I have been on the lookout for a used Honda Accord... ...
You should be able to get a decent Sonata Embera (2005-07) for under 3lac, and same for a Accord (2004-06).

If its a *big car* you're looking for, the Accord and the Sonata, sure are the best (and only) choices for this budget. And, I wouldn't, for a second, believe any random reading shown on the Odo, unless its backed by service records, etc.

Also, while the Accord's low-ground clearance would certainly be a pain in the rear, it's engine is ought to be MUCH more peppy and fun-to-drive, than the VERY bland and snail-like Sonata. (Experience : Driven Petrol Transform, Civic, and been in 2009 Accord, 2001 OHC)

Also, I'm a newbie member, so can't message you. But if you can PM me your email/number, I'm sure both of us can be of each other's use
nikhilj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2015, 00:47   #62
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 8
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Used Sonata Embera Or Used Honda Accord

Can anyone help!
I'm getting a 2010 Honda Accord 2.4 AT for 6 lakhs
The car is CNG fitted and just driven 26,000kms
I drove the car today but it didn't feel that great ,I haven't ever driven the accord !
I want a good suggestion of I should go for it or not(I will be asking him to come down to 5.50L ) ,Considering there's work to be done !
and also what all do I need to check ?
acejash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2015, 10:04   #63
BHPian
 
yogeshnagpal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 190
Thanked: 78 Times
Default Re: Used Sonata Embera Or Used Honda Accord

Accord and CNG, please do not, my personal preference. You're just ruining the fun with such a beautiful engine.

2010 accord for 5.5 - 6 is a decent price, minus the CNG.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 24th November 2015 at 10:45. Reason: pls > please. Please refrain from using SMS lingo while posting on the forums. Thanks!
yogeshnagpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2015, 11:24   #64
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 104
Thanked: 65 Times
Default Re: Used Sonata Embera Or Used Honda Accord

Please don't go for used Honda Accords fitted with CNG since they come pre-owned as well as pre abused (personal experience). Rather, go for a well maintained, petrol only fed Accord and you can get a good one for 5.5L to 6L. Also, look out for the service history and get it verified from a trusted mechanic.
carfreak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2015, 12:04   #65
Senior - BHPian
 
sumeethaldankar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 2,672
Thanked: 1,021 Times
Default Re: Used Sonata Embera Or Used Honda Accord

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejash View Post
Can anyone help!
I'm getting a 2010 Honda Accord 2.4 AT for 6 lakhs
The car is CNG fitted and just driven 26,000kms
I drove the car today but it didn't feel that great ,I haven't ever driven the accord !
I want a good suggestion of I should go for it or not(I will be asking him to come down to 5.50L ) ,Considering there's work to be done !
and also what all do I need to check ?
Cng and run only 26k kms is too good to be true. Call Honda and verify the entire service history. If possible you better off with a City as the Accord will come with expensive spare parts and upkeep.
sumeethaldankar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2017, 00:46   #66
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,099
Thanked: 157 Times
Default Re: Used Sonata Embera Or Used Honda Accord

Dear All,
I stumbled across a 6 year old 2011 model 2.4 automatic accord that has done 1 lakh kilometers. The car is in fair condition.
What should be the price to quote in hyderabad
Buffetfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2017, 01:11   #67
BHPian
 
goingout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 217
Thanked: 188 Times
Default Re: Used Sonata Embera Or Used Honda Accord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan View Post
Dear All,
I stumbled across a 6 year old 2011 model 2.4 automatic accord that has done 1 lakh kilometers. The car is in fair condition.
What should be the price to quote in hyderabad
I would say stay away. I have an Accord. One by one everything will start failing after 100k kms. Like steering, AC, sensors etc.

You won't find out these things right away as the car ages really well externally.

It's tough to find cars below 60k kms but keep trying. Otherwise keep a budget of ~ Rs 2 lacs for maintaining the car over the next 3 years.

Last edited by goingout : 24th July 2017 at 01:24.
goingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2017, 08:55   #68
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,099
Thanked: 157 Times
Default Re: Used Sonata Embera Or Used Honda Accord

Quote:
Originally Posted by goingout View Post
I would say stay away. I have an Accord. One by one everything will start failing after 100k kms. Like steering, AC, sensors etc.

You won't find out these things right away as the car ages really well externally.

It's tough to find cars below 60k kms but keep trying. Otherwise keep a budget of ~ Rs 2 lacs for maintaining the car over the next 3 years.
Thanks
I got the car checked and got about INR 1.8 lakh price reduction so that will come in handy against the 2 lakh you suggested to keep!
Car drives pretty well - seems like a decent piece

Last edited by Buffetfan : 20th August 2017 at 08:57.
Buffetfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2017, 02:33   #69
BHPian
 
goingout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 217
Thanked: 188 Times
Default Re: Used Sonata Embera Or Used Honda Accord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan View Post
Thanks
I got the car checked and got about INR 1.8 lakh price reduction so that will come in handy against the 2 lakh you suggested to keep!
Car drives pretty well - seems like a decent piece
Brilliant! The car is solid otherwise. Here are a few things to get checked/fixed/replaced before they go bad:

- O2 sensors
- TPS
- Power steering unit

The car is a tank and unlike the EU cars it'll drive on even with everything broken haha.

Wish you all the best! Do post photos when it arrives.
goingout is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2017, 07:42   #70
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Dombivli
Posts: 2,626
Thanked: 1,191 Times
Default Re: Used Sonata Embera Or Used Honda Accord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan View Post
Dear All,
I stumbled across a 6 year old 2011 model 2.4 automatic accord that has done 1 lakh kilometers. The car is in fair condition.
What should be the price to quote in hyderabad
Apart from what goingout has posted, be prepared to shell out money when things go wrong. Although you may have bought it cheap, it's still a premium car and parts will be expensive and sometimes hard to find.

That two lakh rupees will be spent within a year to bring the car back to fully running condition, so prioritize the spends and focus more on getting the mechanical and electrical problems sorted out before going for cosmetics like seats and paintwork.

Please also go through the TBHP checklist on buying a used car and follow it to the T. Especially get all the fluids replaced as soon as you get the car in your possession. Check for power steering oil leakage - it might indicate a possible rack replacement. Other items to watch out for will be electricals such as power window motors. Small but costly and a pain in the ass when they don't work.

Get hold of a good, knowledgeable and trusted mechanic to maintain the car. Note all three qualities are mandatory.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2017, 01:16   #71
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,099
Thanked: 157 Times
Default Re: Used Sonata Embera Or Used Honda Accord

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Apart from what goingout has posted, be prepared to shell out money when things go wrong. Although you may have bought it cheap, it's still a premium car and parts will be expensive and sometimes hard to find.

That two lakh rupees will be spent within a year to bring the car back to fully running condition, so prioritize the spends and focus more on getting the mechanical and electrical problems sorted out before going for cosmetics like seats and paintwork.
That I am prepared - my original plan was to purchase one of the three Germans (possibly a 5 or an E) so maintenance is something I had braced for.

Quote:
Please also go through the TBHP checklist on buying a used car and follow it to the T. Especially get all the fluids replaced as soon as you get the car in your possession. Check for power steering oil leakage - it might indicate a possible rack replacement. Other items to watch out for will be electricals such as power window motors. Small but costly and a pain in the ass when they don't work.
Thanks I purchased the car a month ago - I have used that checklist as much as humanly possible. In addition, pre purchase, I actually paid about INR 3k to a Honda dealership for a detailed 140 point checkup. My understanding is that there is some power steering fluid leakage(Though I havent seen a drop in my parking over last month) and some suspension work that will come up - the car has a complete service history available and has apparently been always serviced at a dealership. So obviously I will use up a couple of lakhs this year to get the car in prim shape. Note all this does not show up when I drive the car - the car seems balanced, nimble and there is no power steering whine

There are other minor niggles like the drive side door central lock switch does not work - though central locking works and the AC recirculation mode still seems to continue in fresh air mode.

Quote:
Get hold of a good, knowledgeable and trusted mechanic to maintain the car. Note all three qualities are mandatory.
This is generally hard to find and I normally prefer company showrooms for all my cars - even at prices that are higher. Case in point - there was a cut on the driver seat and the car dealer gave the car to someone to repair - the gentleman in question unscrewed the entire car seat and dropped the seat on the door trim - causing nearly 10 nasty marks on it. In addition he removed the weight sensor harness and as a result the car airbag light has come on..all because I was trying to save a few dollars. And there is no recourse to these kind of jobs

Talking to which - Of the three Japanese cars I have, Toyota (Innova), Suzuki (Baleno) and Honda (Accord) - I believe the Toyota and Suzuki score significantly higher than Honda as far as customer centricity goes. I have had a few interactions with Honda and have not liked the take it or leave it approach at all..maybe too early to decide!

Last edited by Buffetfan : 27th August 2017 at 01:19.
Buffetfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2017, 14:18   #72
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Dombivli
Posts: 2,626
Thanked: 1,191 Times
Default Re: Used Sonata Embera Or Used Honda Accord

The power steering fluid leakage may not be visible. Watch out for the whine and top up the fluid as soon as you hear the whine. Cheapest alternative to getting the rack replaced. I have been told the rack repairs don't generally work, and replacement should be to the tune of 15 to 20k.

The only problem with authorized service centres is they will generally replace whole assemblies rather than individual parts or repairs. Too much cost.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Used Hyundai Sonata Embera hps aulakh Luxury, Imports & Niche 93 13th August 2014 05:21
Need Advice: Used Honda Accord 2.3 or Used Hyundai Sonata 2.7 V6 abhijeetveer Sedans 17 27th August 2010 19:25
Embera CRDi booked, Canceled, New Embera launch? rohitrk Sedans 31 12th September 2008 19:09
Hyundai Sonata Embera 2005! (vs. the Accord) Insane Devil Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 66 26th May 2007 20:57


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 14:24.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks