Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 12th April 2009, 22:01   #16
BHPian

Well, I would at this point not like to categorize Linea as a hit or a flop. Every car has a honeymoon period when it is launched and currently Linea is in that phase. Wait for 6 months for the right picture to emerge. To Linea's credit it has all the features and looks to bring FIAT out of RED. Since it is selling 1500+ units for the past 3 months, it means that people have still not dumped FIAT and are ready to give FIAT a chance. A lot will depend on how FIAT handles it pre and post sales with respect to customer satisfaction
malgudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2009, 22:23   #17
BHPian

I agree that as far as ride quality, fit/finish and VFM go LINEA is top notch and is easily comparable to the best. Might not have a very powerful engine right now but does not bother me as I'm not looking to clock 0~100 in 4.8 seconds very often. As a daily city commuter is does very well and the MJD is quite easy on the pocket delivering a killer 16 kpl on Bangalore roads.
FIAT has had its fare share of troubles, it will take a while before they get over it and build up a confidence level is the customer, atleast all the pointers are in that direction and they are making an effort.
luky_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2009, 22:24   #18
BHPian

I think the Linea is placed in the wrong segment.
With already established players like Verna, Fiesta, City, SX4, Optra in the segment.

Normally Indians use the Engine capacity to determine the class of a car. Linea being a 1.3 Diesel and 1.4 Petrol doesn't really fit into this segment.

Its more of Indigo, Logan, Dezire, Aveo segment car and should have been priced and placed in this segment and it would have been Hit.
Underpowered small cars like Palio 1.1, Getz 1.1 and Vista Saffire are ok in the under 5 lacs segment, because they come really cheap due to excise duty benefits
But if you are shelling out 8 lacs plus, why settle for an underpowered car you are not getting any excise duty benefits being passed on.
But the Linea is a Fiat isn't it? How can they ever get it right in India

Cheers,
Nitin

Last edited by revhappy : 12th April 2009 at 22:29.
revhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2009, 22:45   #19
BHPian

In this honeymoon period, it may appear all well and good which is normal with any flopped car.

The bad service and insufficient customer satisfactory status will only make things worse ahead. Sorry Fiat, there're hoards and loads of work to make any of your products a success in India.[/quote]

Good that we have a clear and strong Verdict here from someone ! btw do "HIT" cars have a "poor" Honeymoon period ???!!!!
FastLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2009, 23:41   #20
Senior - BHPian

Default Decent car - do not think it is underpowered

I see some Lineas in action on the roads and they are definitely not slow coaches in the city. One took the steep grade between the two Taj Hotels very neatly.

I had the benefit of following a TBHPians linea on a TBHP drive. It was brand new and our member was not revving it. The car trotted along easily at about 80 kmph and sped onto about 120 when needed, to overtake, all this with our member showing great restraint and staying well away from the red-line. The car handled the road very well and seemed solidly planted at all times. It was poised even over broken tarmac. The road manners of the car are impressive.

When people mention underpowered - I wonder - in comparison to what? Incidentally today's cars do not get their power from displacement alone so the 1.3 or 1.4 are no indicators of the torque or power.

Cheers,
Ravveendrra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2009, 23:54   #21
Senior - BHPian

I think Linea is a hit considering tat im seeing quite a few on the road.
Looks wise,VFM..its great.
Power wise..1.3L is nothing.
hillram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2009, 00:29   #22
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switch View Post
The car is selling slowly due to various reasons.
1. Recession
2. Underpowered for the size.
3. Bad image of FIAT A.S.S.

Things going in for the car:

1. Looks
2. Features
3. VFM
+1 to that. however, am not sure on point -2 of underpower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms001 View Post
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-analysis.html (Indian Car Sales Figures and Analysis)

Please refer to this thread for detailed sales figures , since launch.
that thread will enlighten revhappy.
by his logic even the earlier NHC with 77 bhp & Fiesta with 68 bhp is to be placed in Indigo, Logan, Dezire, Aveo segment (as Normally Indians use the Engine capacity to determine the class of a car) .
Or by the same logic would Indians put Palio 1.6, i20, Getz, Swift,Fabia in entry level C segment alongwith Indigo, Ikon, Logan, Dezire, Aveo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prash View Post
As compared with the cars within the price range of 6 to 10 lakhs Linea is the second largest selling car in this segment behind Honda City beating other all.

Sales in past months
DEC - 08 = 180
JAN - 09 = 1650
FEB - 09 = 1250
MARCH 09 = 1600
These are approximate figures and not the actual. But 50 + or -.
NOW ITS UPTO YOU TO DECIDE LINEA IS A FLOP OR HIT SALES WISE.
While 1600 no.s in MArch seems impressive when we take into account SX4 no.s, the March effect & the new car hype effet dilutes it a bit. however, the start is very good when its from fiat considering the position it is in in terms of A.S.S. & network.

See, we've heard so many times that fiat's strategy of alliance with tata is wrong from a long term perspective. i still feel that is the best thing to do right now. Fiat has a horrible history. whats the reason for such a history? For any business, its the topmost accountability of the principles to ensure that their Associates/ Trade Partners/ Dealers earn a healthy Returns on Investment. After Maruti800 success, Fiat got into problems & its sales dwindled so much so that its difficult for dealers to breakeven. That would have prompted/ forced dealers to resort to adverse tactics. imagine with 100-200 or even 300 palio's sold across the country, what is the no. of cars sold per dealer on an average (when fiat had its full-fledged network)? 3, 4 or 5? how can a dealer survive?

On the other hand, for Fiat to be successful with Linea (or any other model), topmost priority is to improve A.S.S. Now A.S.S. can be improved only thro' an extensive & very strong dealer network which can only be built over a period of time. Which good dealer will stand with Fiat when it was in such a position? For fiat, the best way was to tie up with a mfr which has extensive network, ensure that mfr gives good A.S.S. & ride on its network & investment.

Having said that, this was best for only Fiat considering the position it was in at that time. There is no alternative to a strong & extensive dealer network.
VahanPujari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2009, 00:36   #23
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Well i do see Linea around a couple everyday in Delhi and most of them are diesel top variant so it is definitely not a flop .And i pray it never be.Especially with the much talked about bigger multijets it will give sleepless nights to most competitors .As i have read here the A.S.S is being taken with urgency here and it is starting to show .
So yes Linea is going to be a hit in the long run.
Trust_In_Thrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2009, 08:13   #24
BHPian

Quote:
The car itself ain't that great to make it a huge success or even a hit by it's own virtues. It's just a decent looking car with some fancy features, badly designed interiors, a very underpowered engine, bad brand image and horrible A.S.S backup which is still begging to be improved.
i request the user not to make generalised statement . do u own a linea?.how many times have u suffered from a.s.s for linea?. on what yard stick did u measure to say badly designed interiors?

things are much much better now when compared to earlier days mate!!. a.s.s for linea has been improved to topnotch. gone are those days where there used to be huge demand for spares and its costly pricing and agonising wait. now fiat has the extensive network next only to maruti with their joint venture with tata.. the quality of interiors is much better than the newly launched anhc which costs 9.5l and gives u nothing but a hole in pocket. and it has great bells and whistles too which gives u great value for money. we are definitely going to see a few upgrades from other manufacturers as well due to linea ( just like what anhc did after the launch of sx4)

and regarding the underpowered- i agree but how many michael schumachers are here ??. a decent driver would definitely rev up the car only in a highway and on long trips. not many people drive like maniacs inside the city endangering their life and others as well. and for normal people i think linea would definitely suffice.
drashkum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2009, 09:27   #25
BHPian

I think its sellin around 1600 which is pretty decent if not setting the sales chart on fire.

Yes,its selling much less than when SX4 was introduced but considering its a FIAT,its doing well.

A worrying thing is even though its fresh,its selling around 500 cars less than the 2 yr old SX4
joy_swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2009, 09:59   #26
BHPian

@Nitin,

Just like you, I have been following the test drives and all other reports on,Linea. I bought an Alto in December so you can see that I neither am the target segment for Linea nor am I going to sell off the car now and buy a new Linea. To that extent, I feel my views are unbiased.

In all the threads, TV reports, magazine reviews, I have never seen a bad word mentioned about the car. THe only crib people have come up with is that it is underpowered. Underpowered is always in comparison to some other vehicle. But when you drive this, as I have during a test drive, you will find that it is slow when you are taking off - from a signal or while starting up - but once you change gears, you tend to forget about the power part at all. It comfortably keeps up with all other cars and can easily beat any car if pushed. And it has a tremendous road presence. I noticed poeple gave way to the car when they saw it (and also found them staring at it!)

I also drovev my friend's Ikon Diesel and found the same thing with that car also. It was also slow when you pick it up from 1st gear.

As for the after sales, I recently saw an ad about the FIAT after sales service. It seems they are serious and every showroom person is standing on his head to prove that this issue has been rectified. Even in the showroom, the odd treatment given earlier to Fiat prospects is gone now and the staff is more responsive. But the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

In case you are planning a new purchase, my take is you can go for the Linea. I do not have much knowledge on the technicalities and I come from a user stand point who is just fond of driving comfortably and safely.

Everyone wants that at the end of the day, isn't it?
travelwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2009, 10:00   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revhappy View Post
I think the Linea is placed in the wrong segment.
With already established players like Verna, Fiesta, City, SX4, Optra in the segment.

Normally Indians use the Engine capacity to determine the class of a car. Linea being a 1.3 Diesel and 1.4 Petrol doesn't really fit into this segment.

Its more of Indigo, Logan, Dezire, Aveo segment car and should have been priced and placed in this segment and it would have been Hit.
Underpowered small cars like Palio 1.1, Getz 1.1 and Vista Saffire are ok in the under 5 lacs segment, because they come really cheap due to excise duty benefits
But if you are shelling out 8 lacs plus, why settle for an underpowered car you are not getting any excise duty benefits being passed on.
But the Linea is a Fiat isn't it? How can they ever get it right in India

Cheers,
Nitin
This has got to be one of the dumbest analogies I have ever read on this forum. And Indian car buyers are usually also pretty dumb when it comes to choosing cars. Bang on Nitin, you're one of them.
Red Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2009, 10:52   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revhappy View Post

Cheers,
Nitin
And i am sure lot of people would have preferred to price it in Alto Segment. Heck, i think a C class should be ideally in the Corolla segment, and would have been a major hit

The looks,build quality and features and size of this car is a much higher class than cars like Indigo & Dezire. Comparing Linea to Dezire or an Indigo is like .

Last edited by SkyWalker : 13th April 2009 at 10:54.
SkyWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2009, 11:02   #29
BHPian

seen quite a few recently here (mumbai), i guess they are delivering the cars quite swiftly, but still its a matter of heart over mind, considering the fab looks of the car and fiats reputation for a.s.s.
TRANSAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2009, 11:03   #30
BHPian

Considering fiat's horrible A.S.S and experience for past years I am wondering how come anybody can buy Fiat car. But guess what I am seeing couple of linea on daily basis all over pune.

It's surely not a flop.
hrishig is offline   Reply With Quote