Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2009, 11:16   #1
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 345
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Replacement for Fiesta TDCi

Hi Experts,

I am planning to replace my 20 months old Fiesta TDCi with a decent car in sedan category. Let me give my comments on Fiesta first and my expectations at the last for a new car. (preferably Diesel)

Fiesta TDCi

1) Engine Refinement and Mileage
2) Lack of low end torque especially in 2nd gear.
3) No ABS, Air bags
4) No technology (No Auto windows roll ups, Mirror re tractors, etc.. )
5) Very very bad ground clearance (Car hits the bump when loaded with 4-5 people)

Expectations

1) Sturdy, no bump hitting when loaded
2) Decent Technology
3) Good FE
4) Decent Boot space
5) Good resale value (Since i would like to change it after 2-3 yrs)

I can spend up to 12 Lakhs and i am a diesel fan

Thanks
funda2max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2009, 12:33   #2
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 262
Thanked: 36 Times
Default

The only diesel car that you can look around is Skoda Octavia Tdi. However, there have been many issues faced by customers of Skoda.

Also for your need, i.e. the car should not hit the bump, I would mostly suggest a Scorpio mHawk. It will be well within your budget and a Diesel too, though not a car.
anup7649 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2009, 12:47   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
karanraheja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 1,915
Thanked: 233 Times
Default

There are not many options within your budget and since resale is your priority. I would have recommended you the Magum TDCI. The resale might not be very good after 2-3 years. But its one heck of a car!! Other car you can watch out for is Chevrolet Cruze coming in 3-4 months (hopefully). That car will be in 12-13 lacs range and worth waiting.
karanraheja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2009, 13:53   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
SkyWalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,531
Thanked: 122 Times
Default

If you can hold on to it - wait for the Cruze. Else decide between Magnum or Verna. Linea would be good - provided you handle the speed breaker issue with a tire upgrade.

Skoda Octavia would be a car in this range too (13L+ in Bangalore) - but i would stay away from a Skoda due to service issues and costly spares.

How much do you clock in 3 years? It would be difficult to gain the extra paid for a diesel in 3 years of use. you can also consider ANHC or Civic/Altis.

Last edited by SkyWalker : 15th April 2009 at 14:04.
SkyWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2009, 13:53   #5
BHPian
 
loving_alaap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 808
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Looking to your needs, my choices are,

Skoda: though a nice car, because of controversy, and for the betterment for the future, you can support Team BHP by not purchasing the car.

Optra magnum:
Meets all your demands (except resale?)

Scorpio & Safari: meets all your demands (except being an SUV)
Follow your brain and go for Scorpio, follow your heart and go for Safari

OR increase your budget and go for Diesel Sonata Transform (though resale is quite low)

Or else spend less and select between Linea / Verna (though its not a logical upgrade from fiesta)
Follow your brain and go for Verna, follow your heart and go for Linea

So, funda2max: here are the options you have. You have to compromise any one of your demand. So, give up the demand that has least priority.

Best of luck.

Last edited by loving_alaap : 15th April 2009 at 13:57.
loving_alaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2009, 14:36   #6
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 345
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anup7649 View Post
The only diesel car that you can look around is Skoda Octavia Tdi. However, there have been many issues faced by customers of Skoda.

Also for your need, i.e. the car should not hit the bump, I would mostly suggest a Scorpio mHawk. It will be well within your budget and a Diesel too, though not a car.
Thanks Anup. But, I don't like Scorpio since it's rear bench is not comfortable and reminds you that you are sitting in a wooden bench. I won't buy Skoda Octavia or Laura since i am a true BHPian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
There are not many options within your budget and since resale is your priority. I would have recommended you the Magum TDCI. The resale might not be very good after 2-3 years. But its one heck of a car!! Other car you can watch out for is Chevrolet Cruze coming in 3-4 months (hopefully). That car will be in 12-13 lacs range and worth waiting.

Thanks Karan. I can wait for 3-4 months to wait and see Cruze if it launches on time in India. But, I am worried about GM's future globally and it's resale value in India. However, i must admit that Magnum is a gem of a Diesel car available in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
If you can hold on to it - wait for the Cruze. Else decide between Magnum or Verna. Linea would be good - provided you handle the speed breaker issue with a tire upgrade.

Skoda Octavia would be a car in this range too (13L+ in Bangalore) - but i would stay away from a Skoda due to service issues and costly spares.

How much do you clock in 3 years? It would be difficult to gain the extra paid for a diesel in 3 years of use. you can also consider ANHC or Civic/Altis.
Thanks Skywalker. I generally clock around 1000Kms per month and go for long drives to Native and other spots. I test drove ANHC Automatic, didn't like it's interior colors. Although it has good engine, it lacks good interiors, alloy wheels, etc.. I need to think of Civic and Altis. Thanks for suggesting though.


Quote:
Originally Posted by loving_alaap View Post
Looking to your needs, my choices are,

Skoda: though a nice car, because of controversy, and for the betterment for the future, you can support Team BHP by not purchasing the car.

Optra magnum:
Meets all your demands (except resale?)

Scorpio & Safari: meets all your demands (except being an SUV)
Follow your brain and go for Scorpio, follow your heart and go for Safari

OR increase your budget and go for Diesel Sonata Transform (though resale is quite low)

Or else spend less and select between Linea / Verna (though its not a logical upgrade from fiesta)
Follow your brain and go for Verna, follow your heart and go for Linea

So, funda2max: here are the options you have. You have to compromise any one of your demand. So, give up the demand that has least priority.

Best of luck.
I have decided not to buy any Skodas' including Laura to support TeamBHP. As i said, I am worried about GM's future and it's resale value. Thanks for suggesting Scorpio and Safari...
funda2max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2009, 14:52   #7
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 388
Thanked: 19 Times
Default

Wonder why nobody suggested Innova? It satisfies almost all the needs mentioned except that it is not a sedan. It is the best in terms of resale value.
Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2009, 14:53   #8
BHPian
 
loving_alaap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 808
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

1000Kms monthly running, 12 Lacs budget, change in 2-3 years (good resale), good GC, good FE, good reliability..!!!

Do we have any other choice????

It has to be COROLLA ALTIS.

3 cheers to that.
loving_alaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2009, 14:58   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,717
Thanked: 425 Times
Default

Quote:
Skoda: you can support Team BHP by not purchasing the car.
Quote:
I won't buy Skoda Octavia or Laura since i am a true BHPian.
Quote:
I have decided not to buy any Skodas' including Laura to support TeamBHP.
That's not the right way to think and go. Team-bhp is not against Skoda. How can an automotive forum be against any thing that's automotive!?

You are fully aware of Skoda's after sales problems, but if it satisfies your requirement's and you like the product, then go for it.
amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2009, 15:06   #10
Senior - BHPian
 
karanraheja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 1,915
Thanked: 233 Times
Default

As mentioned by Jeep , Innova too seems a good option. I think you better settle with Altis. As per your running even a petrol would do.
karanraheja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2009, 15:22   #11
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 345
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
That's not the right way to think and go. Team-bhp is not against Skoda. How can an automotive forum be against any thing that's automotive!?

You are fully aware of Skoda's after sales problems, but if it satisfies your requirement's and you like the product, then go for it.
Agreed Amit, I read horror stories about Skoda's after sales issues in forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
As mentioned by Jeep , Innova too seems a good option. I think you better settle with Altis. As per your running even a petrol would do.
Autocar says Altis diesel will be out this year in India. I am eager to see the engine specs of Diesel Altis. Innova is a good option, but it is too big for me since my parking area is limited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loving_alaap View Post
1000Kms monthly running, 12 Lacs budget, change in 2-3 years (good resale), good GC, good FE, good reliability..!!!

Do we have any other choice????

It has to be COROLLA ALTIS.

3 cheers to that.
Yes, But i will wait for Altis diesel which is due this year with Yaris engine?

Last edited by F50 : 15th April 2009 at 16:47.
funda2max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2009, 15:31   #12
Senior - BHPian
 
SkyWalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,531
Thanked: 122 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by loving_alaap View Post
1000Kms monthly running, 12 Lacs budget, change in 2-3 years (good resale), good GC, good FE, good reliability..!!!

Do we have any other choice????

It has to be COROLLA ALTIS.

3 cheers to that.
+1 . Altis is the best option under these circumstances.
SkyWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2009, 15:49   #13
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 345
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
+1 . Altis is the best option under these circumstances.
Do you know the on-road price of Altis in Bangalore for Manual Transmission?
funda2max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2009, 15:59   #14
BHPian
 
AirWind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 809
Thanked: 76 Times
Default

funda2max - Look no further, Innova suits all your requirements to a T
AirWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2009, 16:06   #15
BHPian
 
loving_alaap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 808
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
That's not the right way to think and go. Team-bhp is not against Skoda. How can an automotive forum be against any thing that's automotive!?

You are fully aware of Skoda's after sales problems, but if it satisfies your requirement's and you like the product, then go for it.

We just want to protest temporarily, until Harish get the justice & we the "poor" Indians get the good *** from Skoda.

Perhaps this is the only way, one can protest against these giants, and one has every right to do so.
loving_alaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCi ZXi 60,000 kms. review / Still fida over the fiesta Sugeeta Long-Term Ownership Reviews 60 29th September 2015 12:18
Replacement for the Fiesta TDCi lamborghini Sedans 93 15th November 2011 14:57
1.4 Fiesta EXI TDCi or Swift VDi EDIT - Booked Fiesta ZXi iamkapilb What Car? 28 6th March 2010 08:26
Ford Fiesta 1.4D ZXi Ownership Woes. EDIT : REPLACEMENT FIESTA. Pics on Pg. 5 Mad Monkey Long-Term Ownership Reviews 105 3rd March 2010 15:26
Fiesta ZXi TDCi or Fusion TDCi ?? ajkail Sedans 20 28th August 2007 07:03


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 15:35.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks