Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2009, 18:24   #16
Senior - BHPian
 
vnabhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DC -> DC
Posts: 5,272
Thanked: 1,236 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
How many pillars & posts have you run through? All spares of Fiat are available at the dealers. Some uncommonly replaced parts are not stocked, but they can get it for you. I didn't get the radiator fan for my 1.6. Dealer said it will be there by the weekend.
I'm 5'10" too. I found the headroom OK.
To answer your question---4 pillars and 4 posts . I have a colleague's Palio for the past 3 months as he is off for an onsite assignment. When he gave me his car, it was without the inner fuel cap, and fuel was evaporating mighty fast. It took me a dozen phone calls to 4 different dealers and a wait of nearly 2 weeks to get it.
To elucidate things a bit more, each phone call is attended by someone who knows only Tata parts. He asks me to wait till he transfers the call to the Palio parts section. Most of the time that guy takes a long time to answer the call, and when he does, he says 'saar , not in stock, please try after a week'. This apart, each dealer gave a different price for it---ranging from Rs 300 to Rs 500. I got if finally for Rs 150 at Concord Motors after 10 days or so.
I even chatted with the owner on messenger, and he confirmed that he always had to face indefinite delays for getting spare parts for the Palio.

Despite all this, I think Palio is a lovely car---if only Fiat got its A.** right, then it would have sold really well.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2009, 18:43   #17
Senior - BHPian
 
rkbharat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Gurgaon/New Delhi
Posts: 1,590
Thanked: 608 Times
Default

I think Linea is the best choice, but if you have any specific questions/confusion for SX4, I/other SX4 owner can answer.
rkbharat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2009, 21:00   #18
BHPian
 
pedrolourenco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Margao, Goa
Posts: 758
Thanked: 450 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
To answer your question---4 pillars and 4 posts . I have a colleague's Palio for the past 3 months as he is off for an onsite assignment. When he gave me his car, it was without the inner fuel cap, and fuel was evaporating mighty fast. It took me a dozen phone calls to 4 different dealers and a wait of nearly 2 weeks to get it.
To elucidate things a bit more, each phone call is attended by someone who knows only Tata parts. He asks me to wait till he transfers the call to the Palio parts section. Most of the time that guy takes a long time to answer the call, and when he does, he says 'saar , not in stock, please try after a week'. This apart, each dealer gave a different price for it---ranging from Rs 300 to Rs 500. I got if finally for Rs 150 at Concord Motors after 10 days or so.
I even chatted with the owner on messenger, and he confirmed that he always had to face indefinite delays for getting spare parts for the Palio.

Despite all this, I think Palio is a lovely car---if only Fiat got its A.** right, then it would have sold really well.
Well it's much better to walk in to the service center and ask for the part you want. Fiat parts are stored separate from TATA parts and they find them quite easily.
pedrolourenco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2009, 21:22   #19
BHPian
 
teknophobia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 319
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

I have only one thing to say, Italian cars have soul :P
teknophobia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2009, 21:28   #20
Senior - BHPian
 
vnabhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DC -> DC
Posts: 5,272
Thanked: 1,236 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
Well it's much better to walk in to the service center and ask for the part you want. Fiat parts are stored separate from TATA parts and they find them quite easily.
I did---Concord Motors is just 2 kms away from my home. But they did not have stock.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2009, 23:29   #21
Senior - BHPian
 
finneyp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,619
Thanked: 160 Times
Default

Well, I didn't have any issues getting spares for my Palio during my 5 years of ownership.

And for new launches like Linea, Fiat-Tata is making doubly sure that spares are readily available.
finneyp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2009, 01:03   #22
Senior - BHPian
 
Amartya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Evanston
Posts: 1,699
Thanked: 376 Times
Default Tough Choice

I recently drove the Fiesta 1.6S. Having driven the earlier version (the 1.4l version) for a fair amount of time, I would say that the 1.6 S handles a couple of notches better than the cars with the stock suspensions.
However, as far as your priority for the ride and handling balance is concerned, I would rate the Fiesta higher (than the Linea). To me it strikes the better balance.
If your family members are not too tall, the Fiesta has enough space for four people and their luggage. Like you mentioned in your personal note, the Fiesta scores better than the SX4 in this regard. Hence, it's not as half bad as reported frequently (I find the rear backrest the most ergonomic among the three as well). However, the Linea has the edge when it comes to the numbers as far as legroom is concerned.
The Linea looks fabulous, it's coupe like roof-line and beautiful design details have had people waxing eloquent about it, well honestly, it does look good. I prefer the Fiesta (the 1.6S, with side skirts and that blue colour makes me drool), I somehow find it more proportionate, with a design that wouldn't age easily.
Fiesta for me (I read on tbhp that there are some cut price sweet deals on the Fiesta, do ask the Ford dealer in your place).
Amartya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2009, 14:04   #23
Senior - BHPian
 
geeash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,513
Thanked: 129 Times
Default Your post says the verdict. Linea is a winner

Just check this out. I was in the same dilemma and fell for linea emotion pack.
geeash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2009, 17:34   #24
BHPian
 
marlinspike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 193
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

I might have considered the Linea as a car once they plonk a 1.6 engine especially Diesel.
True it's a lot of car for the price and I would like it to revive fiat in India for competition sake and to give them to room and incentive to get the 1.6 engines.

Till then I'm happy revving my Fiesta S and looking at the odd Linea that rolls along, its cute, doesn't put up a fight and is content becoming a dot on the rear view mirror.

In its current form I'm happy that I did not wait till they launched it.
marlinspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2009, 17:56   #25
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,309
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinspike View Post
I might have considered the Linea as a car once they plonk a 1.6 engine especially Diesel.
True it's a lot of car for the price and I would like it to revive fiat in India for competition sake and to give them to room and incentive to get the 1.6 engines.

Till then I'm happy revving my Fiesta S and looking at the odd Linea that rolls along, its cute, doesn't put up a fight and is content becoming a dot on the rear view mirror.

In its current form I'm happy that I did not wait till they launched it.
Well You're not in Mumbai else I would have called you for a race with my Linea in Mumbai city traffic. Probably then you would have liked to reconsider your statement of she being content
VahanPujari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2009, 18:24   #26
BHPian
 
centaur's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: --
Posts: 721
Thanked: 757 Times
Default

linea is underpowered compared to its competitiors. But to cover it up its loaded with features. Not worth a buy if you are power hungry and the best buy if you are looking to pamper yourself once inside
centaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2009, 18:55   #27
BHPian
 
marlinspike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 193
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VahanPujari View Post
Well You're not in Mumbai else I would have called you for a race with my Linea in Mumbai city traffic. Probably then you would have liked to reconsider your statement of she being content
If you have seen on Blr traffic, then you wouldn't say that. Linea cant be more drivable in city, low end torque may have been handled by shorter gears there is the turning radius issue that needs to be addressed and a extra long car with a puny engine is not my idea of a Car. Sure it looks great and you like it, so you bought it. I'm happy for you and for Fiat.

Well on the racing thing not on straights either as it would be unfair to the Linea, may be on a twisty.
Too bad we can't do it right now as you are not in Blr either.
If you do travel to some place like Coorg, let me know we can have some fun in the Ghats.

Last edited by marlinspike : 26th May 2009 at 19:06.
marlinspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2009, 22:48   #28
Senior - BHPian
 
vnabhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DC -> DC
Posts: 5,272
Thanked: 1,236 Times
Default

Does Linea have a turning radius issue? I am asking because I've never driven one. I know for sure that the Palio has this issue, moreso because I drive the one with me every Sunday. It can't take a sharp turn like the Fiesta in my parking lot, and I have to reverse at least once to get into the slot.
One thing I fail to understand is that when the Palio has wipers and turn indicators on the correct side like Maruti cars, why does the Linea have it the other way round? I know that Ford has it that way, but all Fords have it that way in India. Why can't Fiat be consistent in its India models?
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2009, 23:05   #29
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: karwar
Posts: 79
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

I am also looking for a new car and the same dilemma. But i am not looking for Fiesta1.6S but 1.6 Zxi. Yet to test drive a Linea and need to check the turning radius myself
Tell me the offer oyu got for1.6S. For Zxi they are giving insurance free plus 10000 corporate discount.
From the reviews posted here i am assuming that the ride will be smoother in Zxi than a 1.6S Right?
gksunil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2009, 08:59   #30
JVH
Senior - BHPian
 
JVH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,021
Thanked: 148 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Does Linea have a turning radius issue? I am asking because I've never driven one. I know for sure that the Palio has this issue, moreso because I drive the one with me every Sunday.

On paper, the turning radius is big but believe me I never felt that number during my test drive of the linea. In fact I felt it is much better than my Palio.

Others who have driven the palio and linea - please comment
JVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sx4 Zxi or Linea Petrol Emotion pk - Which is VFM? drashkum Sedans 183 31st May 2009 14:50


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:37.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks