Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 12th June 2010, 15:15   #91
Senior - BHPian

Default Which Car to Buy SX4 Vs Linea

Hi, I am planning to buy a sedan but am unable to decide between SX4 & Linea.

I am fin with Petrol / Diesel, apart from the basics my requirements are

1. ABS
2. Alloy wheels

And cost under 8.5 lacs.

Request valuable inputs
m_upreti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2010, 15:25   #92
BHPian

I was in the same dilemma a while ago! I chose the sx ZXi due to high GC and the tension free Zuki badge! Mileage isnt anything to write home about and neither is the low end torque. But the GC + 16inch wheels sealed the deal!
james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2010, 15:48   #93
Senior - BHPian

that really is a tough one- I was in teh same dilemma about a year ago when I bought my SX4.

since there is no diesel in SX4, lets have a look at the petrol variants.

Looks: Subjective, but most people would agree that the Linea looks better, and more premium than SX4

Build quality- Linea is more robustly built but the quality of materials used is better in the SX4. Since the SX4 was jointly developed by Fiat and Suzuki, there is some really solid engineering that has gone into this car.

Features- the Linea has a slight edge here since it comes with Blue and Me and a trip computer in addition to what the SX4 has.

Interior comfort- The SX4 scores here- better seats, higher seating position, better ergonomics.

Driving Dynamics- this is a real toughie- the SX4 has a quasi SUV stance and by all reckoning should be a lousy handler-BUT, the massive wheels and stiff springs compensate for the high GC and this car is a superb handler (i guess the FIAT DNA shows up here). I took a couple of long sweepers at >120 KPH on a recent highway drive and the car felt really well planted.

The Linea is also a brilliant handling machine with very well sorted out driving dynamics. What lets it down is the insipid performance from its petrol engine. The SX4 engine is far more grunty in comparison and emits a lovely growl when the revs cross 4K RPM

F.E.- should be the same for both (between 9-10 in the city with AC and about 14-15 on the h/w)

A.S.S.- this is where it gets interesting- the general perception is that Maruti A.S.S. is unmatched in the country (if not the world) but i would disagree- their dealers are generally cocky and have a carefree attitude. what is good though is that an escalation to the company has them scurrying about like rabbits and bending over backwards to ensure that your issues are looked into. So that reflects well on Maruti but the fact is that it should not need an escalation in the first place (as a reference point, look at Hyundai and Toyota dealers- the best in the country IMHO)

A.S.S. for Fiat is a mixed bag- it has improved by leaps and bounds in terms of availability of dealers now but the attitude of dealers is pathetic. they give Fiat cars a step child treatment and escalations to the company have little effect. So the SX4 definitely scores here.

VFM- both are neck and neck and there are some good discount schemes going on for both cars (about 40K for the SX4 in MUmbai)

In the end, I picked the SX4 over the linea purely on account of the after sales factor since I had had enough of Tata dealers with my Safari and shuddered to think of my experence when I went into a Tata dealership in a Fiat.

Just my 2 cents, hope it helps. do let us know what you finally bought.

P.S. Get Fiat to launch the T-Jet in the same price bracket and all bets are off- I would buy that car over any sedan south of 15 lakhs, bad A.S.S. notwithstanding!

Last edited by himanshugoswami : 12th June 2010 at 15:55.
himanshugoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2010, 15:48   #94
Senior - BHPian

Many have commented about Linea's poor interior quality. SX4 looks tobe a straight winner. But, under 8.5L you have plenty of better choices. Check Manza an excellent VFM vehicle and Honda City.
mercedised is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2010, 16:12   #95
Senior - BHPian

Thanks James for your inputs.

Thanks mercedised, for your advise, I am not too comfortable with Tata vehicles, you can call it a mind block or something. I find ANHC overprised ann I dont want to go over my fixed budget.

Thanks Himanshu for the detailed reply, my thoughts in bold below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
that really is a tough one- I was in teh same dilemma about a year ago when I bought my SX4.

since there is no diesel in SX4, lets have a look at the petrol variants.

Even I would have preferred a diesel in SX4, but there is no firm news on the launch as yet.

Looks: Subjective, but most people would agree that the Linea looks better, and more premium than SX4

You are right Linea has much better looks.

Build quality- Linea is more robustly built but the quality of materials used is better in the SX4. Since the SX4 was jointly developed by Fiat and Suzuki, there is some really solid engineering that has gone into this car.

I have not had a look at the Linea till now, but definately quality of materials in the SX4 is definately not up to the mark.

Features- the Linea has a slight edge here since it comes with Blue and Me and a trip computer in addition to what the SX4 has.

Ditto, plus the drive information etc.

Interior comfort- The SX4 scores here- better seats, higher seating position, better ergonomics.

Correct

Driving Dynamics- this is a real toughie- the SX4 has a quasi SUV stance and by all reckoning should be a lousy handler-BUT, the massive wheels and stiff springs compensate for the high GC and this car is a superb handler (i guess the FIAT DNA shows up here). I took a couple of long sweepers at >120 KPH on a recent highway drive and the car felt really well planted.

I have been driving a Scorpio for the last 2 years so, and taken it to + 150 KmH whereever the road permitted so handling should not be an issue.

The Linea is also a brilliant handling machine with very well sorted out driving dynamics. What lets it down is the insipid performance from its petrol engine. The SX4 engine is far more grunty in comparison and emits a lovely growl when the revs cross 4K RPM

Need to do a TD of Linea, SX4 seems to respond well, even though the gears are a bit stiff (may be the TD vehicle)

F.E.- should be the same for both (between 9-10 in the city with AC and about 14-15 on the h/w)

This is acceptable

A.S.S.- this is where it gets interesting- the general perception is that Maruti A.S.S. is unmatched in the country (if not the world) but i would disagree- their dealers are generally cocky and have a carefree attitude. what is good though is that an escalation to the company has them scurrying about like rabbits and bending over backwards to ensure that your issues are looked into. So that reflects well on Maruti but the fact is that it should not need an escalation in the first place (as a reference point, look at Hyundai and Toyota dealers- the best in the country IMHO)

A.S.S. for Fiat is a mixed bag- it has improved by leaps and bounds in terms of availability of dealers now but the attitude of dealers is pathetic. they give Fiat cars a step child treatment and escalations to the company have little effect. So the SX4 definitely scores here.

I have owned a Wagon R in its original avatar for over 5 yrs, I only needed to go to the A.S.S. for routine servicing only, and that too was forgotton in the final 2 years of ownership since I was moving around too much. But that car never did give me any trouble.

VFM- both are neck and neck and there are some good discount schemes going on for both cars (about 40K for the SX4 in MUmbai)

Both have offered me the following discounts in Navi Mumbai, may be I will unleash my better half to haggle for more.

SX4: Dealer Discount: 30 K + Corporate Disc: 4 K
Acc.: Mattings, Teflon & Under body coating
I am trying to get the reverse sensor & white head lamps thrown in.

Linea: Dealer Discount: 30 K + Free extended warrenty 7.5 K
Will discuss further if I decide to go for it

In the end, I picked the SX4 over the linea purely on account of the after sales factor since I had had enough of Tata dealers with my Safari and shuddered to think of my experence when I went into a Tata dealership in a Fiat.

Same experience here when I went to see the Linea after the launch. Maruti guys on the other hand are a pleasure to deal with.

Just my 2 cents, hope it helps. do let us know what you finally bought.

Sure will do.

P.S. Get Fiat to launch the T-Jet in the same price bracket and all bets are off- I would buy that car over any sedan south of 15 lakhs, bad A.S.S. notwithstanding!
I can't wait, since I am getting a good price for my Scorpio now

Last edited by m_upreti : 12th June 2010 at 16:16.
Old 12th June 2010, 17:17   #96
Senior - BHPian

Well, if you're in a real hurry I guess the options are limited but we have the Vento (Polo sedan) launch in August & that would be a good option at this price point.

I knocked the Linea off my list 'cos I felt claustrophobic when I took a few rides in the rear seat (not that I would be in the rear seat too often but nevertheless) - maybe its something to do with the sloping roof. Again, if you could wait, I would still say the Linea T-Jet over the SX4.

If its an immediate purchase, go for the SX4 - I presume you would be looking at the top end variant?

Oh, and before I sign off, why not the Fiesta 1.6S???
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2010, 18:38   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post

@Himamshu - A very different Maruti *** feedback. Definitely my first on the forum.

I just wanted to chime in on the escalation technique. Given the Tata Fiat arrangement, a simple email to service@fiapl.com works wonders. I think right now, its typical for all Fiat owners to keep in the loop of issues and they make sure you are satisfied.

Fiat customer relationship experience is by far working out very very well.

I have only TDed the Linea once and never TDed the SX4. Both were in my consideration but soon dropped for my beloved Punto.
SX4: no diesel option (was very attractive at ~7.5lacs)
Linea: Loved the car but MJD E+ went out of budget. Settled for the Punto MJD E+ and not regretting the decision at all.
aarenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2010, 18:48   #98
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I own Fiat Linea Emotion Pack 1.4 FIRE. Previously, I had owned Maruti Suzuki Omni/Versa for about 18 years. I feel, the after sale service provided by Tata-Fiat is as good or bad as Maruti Suzuki. The feed-back survey results of after sale service provided by these two companies in Team BHP vouch for this staement.

Last year, during August/September, I had TD of Honda City [once], MS SX4 [twice] and Fiat Linea [thrice]. Only MS SX4 gives spare alloy wheel and has the highest GC with 16" wheels. But, the latest gadgetry and umpteen number of features in Fiat Linea tilted my decision in its favour.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 12th June 2010 at 18:53.
J.Ravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2010, 19:56   #99
BHPian

Hi upreti. Since you have been driving a Maruti for a long time, it will be better to stick with the brand you are used to.
Just to clarify on Linea misconception; I own Linea 1.4 E+ for last nine months and absolutely no issues. I get a mileage of 12-13 kmpl in city and 18-19kmpl on highway with ACC. In my opinion, A.S.S for Fiat has just become a dead horse and people tend to comment upon it without personally verifying the fact. I had recently met with a minor accident and the whole service effort including the workmanship shown by Concorde was excellent.
NutsNBolts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2010, 12:30   #100
Senior - BHPian

Thanks All,

TD'd the Linea & SX4 yesterday with family.

Linea Petrol Emotion:

Pros: Excellent looks, and add on's for 7.68 lacs onroad for Linea Petrol Emotion (Navi Mumbai), the dealer offered mats and mudflaps and a discount on Teflon & anti-rust coating.
Excellent reception at the dealership, the Sales person took a lot of time explaining each detail and had a lot of supporting surveys for after sales supprot etc. so quiet bit of apprehension was takn off regarding after sales support.

Cons:
1. Lack of power, the car literally had to be coaxed to move, the sales person sensed my discomfort and asked me to take the car up to 50 put in 5th and try climbing a flyover with my foot off the accelerator, the car dropped to 25 KMH yet climbed and descended, but still I did not feel that pep that car of this size should have. (My Scorpio climbs a 45 degree ramp to the parking at 1st gear without accelarator from dead stop - unfair comparison though).
2. The head room at the back seat is a bit of a concern, my father being 6ft 2 couldn't sit straight without cramping his neck.
3. Lot of noise entering the cabin and tyre noise.
4. Low driving position & GC

SX4 Zxi
8.13 Lacs on road (Navi Mumbai)
Free Matting, Teflon & Underbody coating

Pros:
1. Excellent GC
2. Excellent pick up and response
3. Good interiors

Cons:
1. Low FE
2. Hard suspension
3. Lot of noise entering the cabin and tyre noise.

In both these cars I felt that the reverse sensors should be a part of the standard offering, specially the SX4 with a high boot impeds reversing.

Verdict:

After spending nearly half a day both the cars were vetoed by the family and so far the decision is to be with the Scorpio for some more time and wait for VW to come out with the Vento, another consideration is a 3-4 weeks delivery period in the rainy season with out a car would be a pain since the buyer for the Scorpio want urgent delivery.

Thanks for all the support BHPians

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Well, if you're in a real hurry I guess the options are limited but we have the Vento (Polo sedan) launch in August & that would be a good option at this price point.
I knocked the Linea off my list 'cos I felt claustrophobic when I took a few rides in the rear seat (not that I would be in the rear seat too often but nevertheless) - maybe its something to do with the sloping roof. Again, if you could wait, I would still say the Linea T-Jet over the SX4.
If its an immediate purchase, go for the SX4 - I presume you would be looking at the top end variant?
Oh, and before I sign off, why not the Fiesta 1.6S???
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarenes View Post
@Himamshu - A very different Maruti *** feedback. Definitely my first on the forum.
I just wanted to chime in on the escalation technique. Given the Tata Fiat arrangement, a simple email to service@fiapl.com works wonders. I think right now, its typical for all Fiat owners to keep in the loop of issues and they make sure you are satisfied.
Fiat customer relationship experience is by far working out very very well.
I have only TDed the Linea once and never TDed the SX4. Both were in my consideration but soon dropped for my beloved Punto.
SX4: no diesel option (was very attractive at ~7.5lacs)
Linea: Loved the car but MJD E+ went out of budget. Settled for the Punto MJD E+ and not regretting the decision at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
I own Fiat Linea Emotion Pack 1.4 FIRE. Previously, I had owned Maruti Suzuki Omni/Versa for about 18 years. I feel, the after sale service provided by Tata-Fiat is as good or bad as Maruti Suzuki. The feed-back survey results of after sale service provided by these two companies in Team BHP vouch for this staement.

Last year, during August/September, I had TD of Honda City [once], MS SX4 [twice] and Fiat Linea [thrice]. Only MS SX4 gives spare alloy wheel and has the highest GC with 16" wheels. But, the latest gadgetry and umpteen number of features in Fiat Linea tilted my decision in its favour.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NutsNBolts View Post
Hi upreti. Since you have been driving a Maruti for a long time, it will be better to stick with the brand you are used to.
Just to clarify on Linea misconception; I own Linea 1.4 E+ for last nine months and absolutely no issues. I get a mileage of 12-13 kmpl in city and 18-19kmpl on highway with ACC. In my opinion, A.S.S for Fiat has just become a dead horse and people tend to comment upon it without personally verifying the fact. I had recently met with a minor accident and the whole service effort including the workmanship shown by Concorde was excellent.

Last edited by m_upreti : 14th June 2010 at 12:32.
Old 14th June 2010, 12:37   #101
Senior - BHPian

I vote for Linea as one of my friend own a linea and he is very happy with it. but if you want more comfortable on service then no doubt it is Maruti and SX4!
nairrk is offline   Reply With Quote