Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 2nd June 2009, 20:23   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpMan View Post
Hey Doc, are you sure about the 1.5L spent on a 3yr+ car. Isnt that high for a Corolla, since it has a service intervals of 10k or 1 year. How much has your car done?
My family has 2 AT Corollas, not sure what H designation they are (There is only 1 AT model. They were bloody expensive to begin with pre-altis, pre-facelift.)

1 Car has now done 69,xxx, and the other 70,xxx

1.5L = regular maintainance, got my discs and pads changed every 25-30K KMs, and some odd denting here and there without insurance claim. Oh and one of my power windows messed up, the entire assembly was bent, that alone cost 8K to repair.

Last edited by DocG : 2nd June 2009 at 20:25.
DocG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2009, 10:14   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocG View Post
My family has 2 AT Corollas, not sure what H designation they are (There is only 1 AT model. They were bloody expensive to begin with pre-altis, pre-facelift.)

1 Car has now done 69,xxx, and the other 70,xxx

1.5L = regular maintainance, got my discs and pads changed every 25-30K KMs, and some odd denting here and there without insurance claim. Oh and one of my power windows messed up, the entire assembly was bent, that alone cost 8K to repair.
hmm, still in 3 yrs approx 75k per car, am too considering a corolla AT, given the advantage of AT and Corolla, I think I wont mind something around 30 exluding denting etc repairs.
tanwaramit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2009, 10:46   #18
BHPian

75k on maintainance looks a little on the higher side, but then accidents and related repairs are not part of the regular maintainance. The service cost and the break pads are and that seems reasonable.

On the outside mirror damage, the place where these gets knocked down most of the time is in the safe parking of the apartment where kids zoom on they cycles and care a damn for the scratch and denting and bending mirrors. I had a shock of my life when one day i saw four kids sitting on the bonnet of my OHC

I will take the car this weekend and will update the post
weejai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2009, 18:44   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
hmm, still in 3 yrs approx 75k per car, am too considering a corolla AT, given the advantage of AT and Corolla, I think I wont mind something around 30 exluding denting etc repairs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by weejai View Post
75k on maintainance looks a little on the higher side, but then accidents and related repairs are not part of the regular maintainance. The service cost and the break pads are and that seems reasonable.
No don't get me wrong, the prices are definitely reasonable. Sorry if I offend anyone, but I consider that pretty cheap, considering how anal my family is. Cars HAVE to be DENTLESS! Not a single dent allowed especially on my dad's cars as he uses them for work. I am sadly the 'malik' of only 1 of the cars, so I don't erratically fix dents and get random body work done (Comes out of my allowance)

The "high" cost is due to the meticulous effort taken to keep the cars pristine. I must warn you though, if your corolla comes with factory leather, please painstakingly maintain it. Don't park in the sun too long. The leather on my old Corolla (No windshield VKool) is in a sorry state, and we're coming up on a karcha of 30-55K for new Stanley leather. So another major cost to add to the list
Old 4th June 2009, 10:18   #20
Senior - BHPian

hmm always thought so, Corolla best to keep car. coming soon at my garage (timelines not known)
Old 8th June 2009, 12:02   #21
BHPian

Picked up the Corolla
Did a Mumbai - Bhimashankar trip and I'm very happy at the way the car handled itself. Will share my experience later this week.
Attached Thumbnails
getting a Corolla H2 1.8E and letting go of OHC 1.3 EXi-p6060004.jpg  

weejai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2009, 12:14   #22
Senior - BHPian

I have driven ~40K on my Corolla AT H4 and so far except for routine maintenance and brake pads replacement, no other compulsory costs. The car still drives well, is kept clean.

Build a service record with a dealer, get to know the service advisor (one visit is enough), and that will be hugely beneficial. Should change tyres to tubeless (I think pre-2005 Corollas came with tube type). Because of my relationship with one dealer over the last 2 years, they are willing to go the extra miles (literally). They come to my home, have coffee/tea, and really take care of my car.
vasudeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2009, 18:57   #23
BHPian

Congrats Weejai. The car looks really immaculate for 50k.
ScorpMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2009, 19:00   #24
BHPian

Hey Vasudeva. Which Dealer are you using in Delhi? What is the avg service cost? Do you have any info on this Smile Care program
ScorpMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2009, 19:06   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpMan View Post
Hey Vasudeva. Which Dealer are you using in Delhi? What is the avg service cost? Do you have any info on this Smile Care program
Galaxy MotiNagar. They are perhaps the best in NCR. Excellent service, and post service resolution (if you are not happy with some aspect or want more). Have pick up and drop (I think they charge 350). Do PM me for service advisor name (he knows me, as do others at this dealer). Knowing someone (not thru family ties) at a dealer removes a lot of fears and uncertainties. I think Smile is for the 1st year. Service cost for 40K was around 3.2K, same for 30K. Smile covered my service till 20K at a total cost of 2.2K.
Old 8th June 2009, 19:32   #26
Senior - BHPian

[quote=DocG;1331621])

The "high" cost is due to the meticulous effort taken to keep the cars pristine. I must warn you though, if your corolla comes with factory leather, please painstakingly maintain it. Don't park in the sun too long. The leather on my old Corolla (No windshield VKool) is in a sorry state, and we're coming up on a karcha of 30-55K for new Stanley leather.

There is the compulsory cost element to Corolla (service, parts) which I think reasonable absolutely and also relatively for a 12L+ car. Then there is the optional cost on cleaning and denting. I consider that also essential since I find it difficult to drive a dirty car. Even denting/painting is not vastly more expensive. I get it done on some panel or the other every 3-4 mth or so (also perhaps 1 claim a year for 3-4 consolidated). The denting/painting even at Toyota can be `managed' at around Rs. 3-4K (total cost with tax per panel excl. bonnet). Just a question of relationship with no under-hand deals.
Old 8th June 2009, 20:14   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
There is the compulsory cost element to Corolla (service, parts) which I think reasonable absolutely and also relatively for a 12L+ car. Then there is the optional cost on cleaning and denting. I consider that also essential since I find it difficult to drive a dirty car. Even denting/painting is not vastly more expensive. I get it done on some panel or the other every 3-4 mth or so (also perhaps 1 claim a year for 3-4 consolidated). The denting/painting even at Toyota can be `managed' at around Rs. 3-4K (total cost with tax per panel excl. bonnet). Just a question of relationship with no under-hand deals.
No I absolutely agree. But at the same time, please notice that I mentioned that was the cost for 2 cars, and I avail a lot of the convenience facilities. Anything that can be fixed at my residence is done as such, and there is an obvious cost associated with that. My cars probably see the service station at least 8 times a year for various things. Mostly denting, but over the last couple of months I've noticed some erratic electricals in one car.

This is always a weird experience, as both the cars are the exact same, interiors, colour, tyres etc, and the reg no. is sequential. We call them the twins, but it's always interesting to see how one car develops some issue, while the other doesn't, even though they're pretty much treated the same.

My dad's assistant deals with the service guys, and we have a great relationship with them too, in addition to the twins we also have a top of the line petrol Innova. So yeah, 3 Toyotas in the family means that they take care not to hurt our sentiments.

DocG
Old 9th June 2009, 09:53   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by weejai View Post
Picked up the Corolla
Did a Mumbai - Bhimashankar trip and I'm very happy at the way the car handled itself. Will share my experience later this week.
Congrats for taking delivery of the car. An awesome machinery, quite suited for Indian roads.

Share some interior pics as well.
Old 16th June 2009, 17:34   #29
BHPian

Weejai,
Just curious, how much did you pay for your car?
battada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2009, 09:48   #30
Senior - BHPian

Me too,curious to know the price of the car.Atleast PM the price.
what is the mileage you get on city/long drives.

Gurus:any reason why didn't Toyota release diesel version in corolla segment like the Qualis & Innova.
Ramsagar is offline   Reply With Quote