Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 10th June 2009, 17:10   #1

Default Need help in deciding on upgrade from Honda Civic 1.8S MT to mid size AT sedan

Hi,

I currently own a 2006 Honda Civic 1.8S MT which has done about 35K. I am looking to replace the same - while I love the driver orientation of the Civic - the manual tranny and the low seating means that it is getting a little long in the tooth.

I have checked with a few dealers/buyers and think that i can get about 7.5L for the car - I think I could probably spend another 5-7L on the upgrade - as far as I can tell my options are as follows:

Toyota Corolla Altis - hate the fact it only has a 4-speed AT
Scorpio AT - not sure about an AT Mahindra
Chevy Cruze - unsure if this will come in AT
VW Jetta 1.9TDI DSG - Stretches the budget - but is it as low as the Civic - in which case out - i know in terms of GC its slightly lower but is the seating squab higher and is it easy enough to get into

My back problems - require me to have a car that is easier to get in and out of - any advice/suggestions would be most welcome.
jaidevmurti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2009, 17:30   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaidevmurti View Post

I have checked with a few dealers/buyers and think that i can get about 7.5L for the car - I think I could probably spend another 5-7L on the upgrade - as far as I can tell my options are as follows:

Toyota Corolla Altis - hate the fact it only has a 4-speed AT
Scorpio AT - not sure about an AT Mahindra
Chevy Cruze - unsure if this will come in AT
VW Jetta 1.9TDI DSG - Stretches the budget - but is it as low as the Civic - in which case out - i know in terms of GC its slightly lower but is the seating squab higher and is it easy enough to get into

My back problems - require me to have a car that is easier to get in and out of - any advice/suggestions would be most welcome.
1) What is the max Budget ?
2) Manual Transmission or Automatic Transmission is your preference ?

If you are not planning to buy in an AT, Altis is a very practical buy. Good seating position, good engine response, good FE and no GC issues.

How the car is going to be used ? Moreover, is that you are looking at SUV ?

As you have involved Scorpio, I would suggest that you have a look at Innova.
Innova has high seating, is comfortable, refined and suspension is better than what sedans offer. Its a very comfortable car.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2009, 19:31   #3

Has to be a AT - very tired of driving around Delhi constantly changing gears - not completely impressed with Honda A.S.S and therefore not really keen on the ANHC AT.

Max budget has to be less than around 18L

In terms of usage - will be self driven with about 1000km/month - about 800 km is work commute on the Gurgaon Delhi expressway - which is fast becoming like driving in the city - and 200km of actual city travel

Had listed Scorpio as it meets the budget - not convinced about AT reliability

Hope the clarifications help - and thanks for input so far!!
Old 10th June 2009, 19:58   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have a better idea : How about retaining the Civic for weekends / joy rides / highways / special occasions, and buying an i10 automatic with the 5 - 7 lakhs spare? The i10 is one of the best small hatchbacks one can buy today. And the higher stance makes ingress / egress easy.

Keep the Civic She's a joy to high-revv. Work days = i10 auto. Fun days = Civic!

If not, then I will suggest an ANHC automatic to you as a replacement.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2009, 21:45   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1) Has to be a AT
2) not completely impressed with Honda A.S.S and therefore not really keen on the ANHC AT.
3) Max budget has to be less than around 18L
4) In terms of usage - will be self driven with about 1000km/month - about 800 km is work commute on the Gurgaon Delhi expressway - which is fast becoming like driving in the city - and 200km of actual city travel
Considering all the above points, specially the usage of around 1K kms. did you consider Verna diesel. Its dynamics is not great but will be cheaper to run and will take stress away from driving.

My preference would be :

Petrol.
1) Toyota Corolla Altis : Very reliable, practical and A.S & S. is not an issue.
2) As GTO mentioned, keep Civic, buy i10 1.2 AT. A small car to move around in city, less parking hassle, etc. For out of station trips with family, you have Civic.

Diesel.
1) Hyundai Verna diesel automatic.
2) VW Jetta, but it might be a stretch.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2009, 22:55   #6

Thanks for the replies people:

In response to some of your comments - have New Toyota Camry as a second car which serves the purpose of comfortable big car for weekend drives - so really this car is more for my own use during the work week in the city.

On the i10 AT - have heard that the mileage is not that great - and while I would personally love a hatch - would prefer if it were i20, polo, jazz size - but preferably with a larger engine and the AT - none of them seem to have it - maybe VW but probably not initially.

I was also leaning towards the Altis AT - only thing bothering me was FE given the 4 gears - also does anyone have a take on the Cruze - have read enough about the Daewoo Lacetti on which it is based but was unsure if people knew if the Diesel version would be launched as an AT. Maybe worth waiting till Sept to find out...not sure

also PS - GTO enjoyed your review of the Jazz - just one question is the GC better than the ANHC as that is better than the Civic
Old 11th June 2009, 00:48   #7
BHPian

toyota corolla AT is the best bet.

but if I will be there in your situation, i will prefer Sonata Transform diesel AT.

A super and all rounder car which is a segment above than Civic / corolla with a few penny more.
loving_alaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2009, 01:01   #8
Senior - BHPian

I agree with GTO's suggestion but if you are not game to keeping two cars, then how about buying the Laura DSG. Skoda service may not be amongst the top but it will definitely fit in to your budget and you'll get the diesel economy as well.
Else you have the Jetta / Pssat
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2009, 12:44   #9
Senior - BHPian

I second GTO.don’t like to sell the CIVIC (a sheer driver’s car, perfect for weekend night drives)
My pick would be Verna CDRi AT (or) Laura-DSG or VW (*** for both Skoda & VW sucks).
AFAIK Verna’s AT worst city mileage would be 10+kmpl
Ramsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2009, 19:36   #10
BHPian

How about Skoda Octavia 1.8 TD Automatic (Rider) version?
rishi_kapoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2009, 20:07   #11
BHPian

The city AT is your best bet. Also altis AT, did you TD the 4 speed at?

If you want a diesel and a fun car but don't really care about outdated looks, get the verna CRDi AT

If you don't care what people think then the sonata transform is VFM, great engine, spacious interiors, AT, and most importantly one segment higher

Forget the scorpio, like seriously, handling is bad and when you look at choices, mahindra is...mreh
Gagan.js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2009, 22:49   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

The mileage of the old Corolla was fantastic despite the 4-speed A/T. Honestly, I doubt it's about the number of cogs when the difference is just one. Might be speaking like a dunce here, but the Civic drinks more despite it's extra cog. Get in touch with member Vasudeva regarding his experiences with the Corolla. Going by this logic, considering engine and transmission are the same in the Altis, the 4-speed unit should really not affect you that much. Atleast take a TD. It's a far more practical car and the sales numbers have now begun to reflect so.

And about the Scorpio, most of the people who say it's crap have never driven it. If you want a better understanding, iraghava has taken a TD. He wasn't too happy with it, but atleast you could get genuine feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi_kapoor View Post
How about Skoda Octavia 1.8 TD Automatic (Rider) version?
Out of production. Even if sold, not recommended.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 14th June 2009 at 22:54.
FlyingSpur is offline   Reply With Quote