Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2009, 12:33   #16
BHPian
 
akhilesh51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Jaipur, RAJ
Posts: 628
Thanked: 321 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLS_55_AMG View Post
Hi Akhil,

I was in exactly the same situation a few weeks ago as you are right now. On the same budget and with the same cars on mind. I did extensive research on both cars but finally closed in on the VW Jetta. I did take a look at both cars closely and im glad ( looking at most of the responses being in favour of the Jetta ) that I took the decision.
Thanks Gautam, Your comments have made me almost finalise on the car, and no guesses as to which one of the two. Also, could you elaborate on the deal you had if you do not mind and what colour did you finalise. I am leaning towards Platinum Grey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishant_kingpin View Post
Cars are mostly bought keeping convenience in mind and lesser the worries the better it is. If you already have had some problems with the Octavia and Safari, you may be better off with lesser issues in the new purchase.
With Safari, I wouldn't say I have had problems, It's more like gf-bf relationship. She makes life a little difficult but she makes life worthwhile too.


Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
Is the Sonata Transform a complete no-no? Same price bracket, far more comfortable car. Yes, the A/T is cranky but if you can live with the 6-speed M/T, you have an underrated but fantastic sedan for a choice. If the A/T is a priority, then I agree with everyone here on the Jetta, the DSG is unbelievably good.
Huge depreciation on re-sale value, dwindling retail numbers, and Hyundai badge in an upmarket sedan, all go against Sonata.

Personally, I quite like Sonata as a car but in current situation, I don't know how long Hyundai is capable of keeping this car.
akhilesh51 is offline  
Old 18th June 2009, 14:36   #17
BHPian
 
CLS_55_AMG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Cuffe Parade, BOMBAY
Posts: 146
Thanked: 35 Times
Default

Hey Akhil,

In terms of the deal, there was not much I could do as it is an outright purchase. The scheme for the month is free insurance. However, the reason I am waiting to take delivery is that the price of the car is likely to drop if the budget brings favourable reductions on ecxise duty etc.

The colour I have finalised is White with beige leather. I am a big fan of white and with the beige leather it looks beautiful. Platinum Grey would have been my second choice. It really makes the chrome in front stand out.

Cheers,

Gautam.
CLS_55_AMG is offline  
Old 18th June 2009, 14:48   #18
Distinguished - BHPian
 
FlyingSpur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 3,937
Thanked: 1,331 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh51 View Post
Huge depreciation on re-sale value, dwindling retail numbers, and Hyundai badge in an upmarket sedan, all go against Sonata.
Depreciation won't matter a whole lot if you're going to keep the car for more than five years. I've never judged a car by how much or how little it sells. And I have huge regard for the Hyundai badge, and little for the Honda badge in comparision, so....

Anyway, your heart seems set on the Jetta, go for it man !! I second your color choice, it'll look great.
FlyingSpur is offline  
Old 18th June 2009, 16:03   #19
BHPian
 
akhilesh51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Jaipur, RAJ
Posts: 628
Thanked: 321 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLS_55_AMG View Post
Hey Akhil,

In terms of the deal, there was not much I could do as it is an outright purchase. The scheme for the month is free insurance. However, the reason I am waiting to take delivery is that the price of the car is likely to drop if the budget brings favourable reductions on ecxise duty etc.

The colour I have finalised is White with beige leather. I am a big fan of white and with the beige leather it looks beautiful. Platinum Grey would have been my second choice. It really makes the chrome in front stand out.

Cheers,

Gautam.
Yup, Even I am hoping that something good comes out of the budget. It is estimated that the extra duty on cars above 1500cc will be scrapped bringing relief to the tune 15K-40K to cars in this range.

I am myself a huge fan of colour white. My Safari, Vista Anniversary, and outgoing Skoda are all in different shades of white. But I felt the chrome lines were a little subdued in White Jetta hence the choice of Platinum Grey.
akhilesh51 is offline  
Old 22nd June 2009, 13:53   #20
BHPian
 
akhilesh51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Jaipur, RAJ
Posts: 628
Thanked: 321 Times
Default

Hello people,

We have made a decision and going by the consensus, It is Volkswagen Jetta 1.9 TDi A/T, in Platinum Grey Colour. So a new chapter in my automotive life begins with the first automatic in the family. I couldn't be more excited.

Tentative delivery date is Wednesday, 24th June 2009 by god's grace, I must add. I have been conveyed a delivery time of 10 AM in the morning which suits me fine to do all preliminary checks and carry out Team-BHP PDi checklist.

That brings me to next query. There are so many things to do. I want to get Underbody coating done and maybe even window tinting if natural tinting is ineffective in Jaipur heat. What else should be done and by which company ?

Also how successful are parking sensors ? Are they really worth the effort ?

Thanks in advance and hope to have a ownership review by the end of the week.
akhilesh51 is offline  
Old 22nd June 2009, 20:40   #21
Senior - BHPian
 
ImmortalZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 2,133
Thanked: 139 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh51 View Post
That brings me to next query. There are so many things to do. I want to get Underbody coating done and maybe even window tinting if natural tinting is ineffective in Jaipur heat. What else should be done and by which company ?
In my experience, new cars already come with their underbody coated. You need to get a second application when the first wears off (which is quite soon with my car, considering it scrapes everywhere ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh51 View Post
Also how successful are parking sensors ? Are they really worth the effort ?
They are a good guideline. But you should never trust them alone or you'll end up scraping stuff. I guide my car into slots myself and then look at the sensors to know when I've backed enough. Most are ineffective at ranges less than ten to twenty centimeters. They also do not see outside their cone of visibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh51 View Post
Thanks in advance and hope to have a ownership review by the end of the week.
'gratz on the car.
ImmortalZ is offline  
Old 22nd June 2009, 22:48   #22
Senior - BHPian
 
Ravveendrra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,391
Thanked: 405 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh51 View Post
Hello people,

We have made a decision and going by the consensus, It is Volkswagen Jetta 1.9 TDi A/T, in Platinum Grey Colour. So a new chapter in my automotive life begins with the first automatic in the family. I couldn't be more excited.

Tentative delivery date is Wednesday, 24th June 2009 by god's grace, I must add. I have been conveyed a delivery time of 10 AM in the morning which suits me fine to do all preliminary checks and carry out Team-BHP PDi checklist.

That brings me to next query. There are so many things to do. I want to get Underbody coating done and maybe even window tinting if natural tinting is ineffective in Jaipur heat. What else should be done and by which company ?

Also how successful are parking sensors ? Are they really worth the effort ?

Thanks in advance and hope to have a ownership review by the end of the week.
First, Congratulations and the car looks hot in that Plat Grey.

New cars do not need underbody coating besides, I think the VW has a 'clean' underbody.

I personally do not like film on windows as it cuts down night time vision particularly when it is raining. They however do help the A/c. in summer.

The parking sensors, at least the OE stuff on the Skoda Laura are excellent, I am sure they are as good, if not better on the VW.

Cheers,
Ravveendrra is offline  
Old 23rd June 2009, 11:13   #23
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,453
Thanked: 955 Times
Default

Hpe you are taking benifit of the Free insurance + 3 year/45,000 KM free maintenance pkg I saw in the papers today (I think this is in addition of the 4 year warrantee).

Congrats and Good Luck!
anandpadhye is offline  
Old 28th June 2009, 09:49   #24
Senior - BHPian
 
aseem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,737
Thanked: 416 Times
Default

One thing worth considering would be that a new Jetta is on the cards (facelift)... however the Laura has just been updated. Keep that in mind when taking a decision, I for one wouldnt want to invest in a car which is going to be upgraded soon!
aseem is offline  
Old 1st July 2009, 13:30   #25
BHPian
 
akhilesh51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Jaipur, RAJ
Posts: 628
Thanked: 321 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Hpe you are taking benifit of the Free insurance + 3 year/45,000 KM free maintenance pkg I saw in the papers today (I think this is in addition of the 4 year warrantee).

Congrats and Good Luck!
I am getting all as you mentioned and more. I have been offered 0% Finance option and a corporate discount. Plus, VW OEM Floor Mats and Body Cover. I don't know if these are standard accessories, but the quality is very nice.


Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
One thing worth considering would be that a new Jetta is on the cards (facelift)... however the Laura has just been updated. Keep that in mind when taking a decision, I for one wouldnt want to invest in a car which is going to be upgraded soon!
They have had minor features update in past few months and new Jetta is on cards in European Markets, which I don't think (and seriously hope!) will trickle down to India anytime soon, atleast in next one year.
akhilesh51 is offline  
Old 1st July 2009, 16:04   #26
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 47,726
Thanked: 89,196 Times
Default

Congrats! You made the smarter choice. 4 year factory warranty = piece of the mind. VW has better service (actually, how much lower can any brand go than Skoda). Plus, the Jetta is better looking as well. Been seeing atleast 2 - 3 Jetta's on the way to work in the morning.

Do keep us updated in an ownership review thread, with pictures & service experiences.
GTO is offline  
Old 1st July 2009, 16:30   #27
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 769
Thanked: 376 Times
Default

Congrats Akhilesh:

Look forward to the pics and the A*S*S experience you get - I would love it if VW takes some extra money but provides superior service. I want to own a German machine within my means and I am looking forward to the launch of Polo.

Cheers,
diffsoft is offline  
Old 14th July 2009, 18:20   #28
BHPian
 
akhilesh51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Jaipur, RAJ
Posts: 628
Thanked: 321 Times
Default

Picture and Initial Ownership report now up at - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-das-auto.html
akhilesh51 is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Skoda Laura Ambiente MT TDI. EDIT: A poor experience with Giriraj Motors Behemoth Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 110 16th September 2017 17:10
2011 i10 Asta A/T - its Korean, its new, its fast, its red, and its coming. nirupesh Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 1 8th January 2011 10:45


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 16:43.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks