Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 22nd June 2005, 22:23   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default help requried in choosing between 2 sonata models.

hi guys

checked out 2 sonatas today ,these are the only ones in the market currently

1)the models

2002 sonata gold : black colour, fancy no 1, kms done :51,000 kms.feb month, has pioneer deck and 2 cd changers instead of the original ones.
price expected : 6 lacs neg. car belongs/used to belong to a famous film star. currently with a very reputed broker.

2005 sonata s20: white colour, un registered, kms done : 4900 kms. jan month.no extra fittings, has the seat plastic covers intact. with the original owner.
price expected : 9 lacs.

2) how much to quote?/new sonata pricing :

i am getting a brand new sonata s20 for 9.43 lacs and sonata v6 for 12 lacs on road.

so based on that how much should i quote.

i have planned to give an offer of 5 lacs for the black one and 6 to 6.5 for the white one.

3)advantages/disadvantages:

2005 white sonata s20:
the advantages :

unregisted, can choose my no,low kms,2005 model, white colour (my dad always likes white or silver)

the disadvantages :

car is a s20,need to put up atleast another 50k for good leather and alloys.

2002 black sonata gold:

the advantages:

it's a gold, so has features like leather,fatc,alloys,air purifier,trip computer,
black in colour (very rare in hyd), fancy no.

the disadvantages:

done 50 k kms, lack of orginal deck,since it used to belong/belongs to a famous film star everyone regonises it.

logic behind a sonata:
many people may be wondering why i am behind a sonata.well here's the logic

my original intention was to sell my safari and get a skoda rider or elegance.
but since my dad doesnt fit into it,the plan was dropped

now that we are not selling my safari we are looking for a show car for abt 7 lacs and not more than that.

due to the prevoius experiences with sonatas and the fact that it looks stunning and has low service costs,we decided to pick one up.

other options:
we looked up at old mercedes 250d/220 ( the rect light one),dad was tempeted but dropped the idea.
the old accord is out of the question.any other suggestions would be helpful.

Last edited by aadix : 22nd June 2005 at 22:30.
aadix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2005, 01:25   #2
Senior - BHPian

hey aadix,
i think uve decided to quote the right amount for the cars. bear in mind that the black sonata s done 51k which if done with care is nothing in a car like this but u know how filmi types abuse their cars. secondly, sonata spares are REALLY expensive. after about 40k the suspension starts to act funny and you better have a loaded wallwt to cope wiyh that. so your best bet is to go for the S20.
for about 6.5 - 7 lacs ull geta great E220 124series complete with leather.Whatever you say, one cant compare with a merc. ive had mine since 95 (E220) done only 60k and runs like a dream.hardly requires parts and is cheaper to maintain and repir than a sonata or even an accord and lets face it ure in a merc no matter what year it was manufactured.
if i was u id go in for a merc, coz of what its worth. Imagine someone actually paid 25lacs for it sometime.
for 7 lacs u cant ignore the german build quality that ure getting.dont let anyone fool you into believing that a merc is astronomical to service or repair as its not..remember , get all your work done in the authorised workshop and insist on getting your ols parts back...then enjoy german engineering for kingdom come.whatever you do dont not drive it coz if u just keep it parked and hardly use it, tahts whern problems creep in.
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2005, 09:45   #3
Senior - BHPian

thx v16 for the advice

we saw a w124 merc e250d, but my dad doesnt wants to use a second hand merc.his plan is when things are going great he will pick up a brand new one.

in merc the other option was my dad's old s-class a 1986 w126 300 sd, but the present owner is asking way tooo much for it, he's asking abt 5 lacs for it.

i had two sonata's in past , and imo the servicing is cheaper than (for example) my honda crv.

i had pmed many guys abt the avaibiltiy of a good w140 or a w124, but havent gotten any reply. any help in this route would be helpful.
Old 23rd June 2005, 10:10   #4
BHPian

Old cannot beat the new. I am sure if you manage the white within 6 to 6.5 its a great deal to just miss out on. The old one though a gold is an old model and will only grow older with time
nishant_kingpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2005, 11:55   #5
Senior - BHPian

So aadix, back to Sonata?

BTW some off-topic, who owned the Black Sonata? Is it Chiranjeevi? He is the one who is always over grand looking cars and if i remember right, all his cars are 1.
satish_appasani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2005, 12:45   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadix
the old accord is out of the question.
Hey Addix

Just wanted to know why the old accord is out of the question.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2005, 14:59   #7
BANNED

Dude, your dad doesn't fit into a Skoda?
Boom Shiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2005, 15:11   #8
Senior - BHPian

Really why Honda Accord is out of question?

well the problems I see here is
1. Old 2002 model = old car, done 51k belonged to film star
enough said & you are saying it is currently with reputed stock broker
so you are getting a third hand car which was produced 3 years ago

Don't go for it

2. 2005 S20 model :
UNREGISTERED, DONE 4900KM
you must be joking even considering this car
there must definetly something wrong somewhere
otherwise who would not register their car for 5000Km
& also who would sell 5/6 months old car?

Do you really want a car in higher segment
since you are saying you even looked at Skoda
then why don't you go for new Elantra/Optra/Corolla or may be even NHC
you will get a NEW car
adya33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2005, 18:07   #9
Senior - BHPian

i agree with adya...but one point...adya, the car is with a broker that does not mean its 3rd hand...90% of teh brokers do not register cars they "display" it for potential customers.
now back to the topic:

1. he is askin 9 for unregistered. who will pay all necessary charges????
also new is 9.43 he is quoting 9 which is ridiculuous it has to be 20% cheaper due to that being the depreciation value.

2. if he is quoting 9 how can he give it for 6-6.5?????????? man thats 30% less u buying a car or...................

3. how do u know that the car is genuine??? there has to be some reason why he/she is selling it.
4. why would someone buy a car not register it and still end up using it for 5000 kms
iceman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2005, 18:19   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
=iceman914. why would someone buy a car not register it and still end up using it for 5000 kms
Is this possible? Iam under the impression that vehicles will not be delivered without getting it registered with RTO. If that can be done, you need to double verify why it has not been registered.
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2005, 18:25   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

That unregistered car could be a dealer test drive vehicle : Bad news. Too many hands driving it recklessly.

GTO
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2005, 18:44   #12
Senior - BHPian

hi guys
here's the answer to all ur questions:

Quote:
Just wanted to know why the old accord is out of the question
the old accord is out mainly because of it looks and lack of availbilty in hyd 2nd hand car market.

Quote:
Dude, your dad doesn't fit into a Skoda?
my dad's pretty huge,when he sat in the skoda's front seat, his knees were touching the airbag logo on the dash, even with the seat fully backed up.

Quote:
Do you really want a car in higher segment
since you are saying you even looked at Skoda
then why don't you go for new Elantra/Optra/Corolla or may be even NHC
you will get a NEW car
the thing is we were looking at the skoda in the view point that the safari would be sold.
now that it isnt being sold, dad's looking at 2nd hand cars with 7 lac range.

Quote:
1. he is askin 9 for unregistered. who will pay all necessary charges????
also new is 9.43 he is quoting 9 which is ridiculuous it has to be 20% cheaper due to that being the depreciation value.

2. if he is quoting 9 how can he give it for 6-6.5?????????? man thats 30% less u buying a car or...................

3. how do u know that the car is genuine??? there has to be some reason why he/she is selling it.
4. why would someone buy a car not register it and still end up using it for 5000 kms
well dear ice, altough the car is with the original owner i am dealing with a broker here.
once u sit on the nego table here, they come down by lacs.
case in point my honda crv which was bought for close to 11 lacs.the guy began his quote at 15 lacs.

i got both the cars checked at the hyundai service station,both were fine.

the white was was on t/r till now with the guy waiting for a fancy no for cheap.
in ap u can run the car in t/r for three months ,then continue it by paying a 3- month fine and so on...

dunno if the car is a test vehicle,also the reason for selling.
lets see how the things work out.gave my offers today.

satish bro pming u the owner's name.and the car is with a reputed car broker .

thx

aadix
Old 23rd June 2005, 18:47   #13
Senior - BHPian

ok...well then all you got to do is decide what you like and what you can afford.....white the advantage is the car is new compared to black.....also the usuals which you mentioned in your first thread...so now gotta decide which one!!!!
iceman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2005, 18:48   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman91
Taxi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wind the clock
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2005, 19:20   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman91
.....white the advantage is the car is new compared to black.....
Isnt the black a 2.7 litre V6 (since its 'gold' ?) compared to the 2 litre 4 pot of the S20?
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote