Fiesta 1.6 SXI 14 8.19%
Fiesta 1.6 S 37 21.64%
Cedia Sports 96 56.14%
Any others (please name) 24 14.04%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 1st March 2011, 17:44   #196
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Suman's Choices & Dilemma : The Final Countdown!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
IMO its the best all rounder there is today around that budget. Its compact enough for the city, its got a powerful engine, almost sedan like to drive, loaded to the gills with features, and its got an offroad mode.
To a Safari owner, moving to a Yeti would be like moving from a palatial rustic mansion to a hep 1BHK apartment in Bombay.

But yes, if the space inside is enough for a buyer, nothing like it today at that price. I had taken a TD and the only thing that hit me hard is the space which is at a serious premium, even for 5 well fed adults.
Old 1st March 2011, 19:27   #197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
IMO its the best all rounder there is today around that budget. Its compact enough for the city, its got a powerful engine, almost sedan like to drive, loaded to the gills with features, and its got an offroad mode.
Akshay, I don't disagree & that's why I set out with honest intentions. But, standing in front of it, I just couldn't find the motivation

Besides, the family REFUSED point blank to even sit in it - can't spend that kinda money to ride alone!
Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
To a Safari owner, moving to a Yeti would be like moving from a palatial rustic mansion to a hep 1BHK apartment in Bombay.
LOL! But, on a serious note, yes, space is a major constraint on the Yeti
Old 1st March 2011, 19:39   #198
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Akshay, I don't disagree & that's why I set out with honest intentions. But, standing in front of it, I just couldn't find the motivation

Besides, the family REFUSED point blank to even sit in it - can't spend that kinda money to ride alone!

LOL! But, on a serious note, yes, space is a major constraint on the Yeti
Haha so go alone for a test drive and then tell them what you think. On a serious note, thats just too bad. I think the Yeti would have been perfect especially since you are a family of 4 (arent you?).

Very frankly I dont think any of the SUVs around this price brand are really worth their money.

Are you considering A/T for either? It will certainly make your life easier.

Heck for the price you would pay for a Sante Fe you can get a 1.5 year old XC90 done hardly 20k kms.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 1st March 2011 at 19:42.
Old 1st March 2011, 19:46   #199
BHPian

Since you haven't mentioned anything about the resale value, why not replace your Fiesta with an Optra Magnum Diesel? Is decently loaded, has a powerful engine, is reliable (Chevy 3 year guarantee), ample legroom and the handling is also good. The top-end will set you back by 10l.
Old 2nd March 2011, 09:38   #200
Distinguished - BHPian

Sir,

I have been reading various driving impressions about the Ford Fiesta (the new one which is supposed to be launched) and most of the reviewers stress on the ride and handling package. It should be a fun Car to drive.

I do not appreciate the edgy interiors ( a la Hyundai), but as a Car the new Fiesta should rock the boat. The only downside is (as per reviews) lack of rear space for passengers. I would suggest you hang around a bit.
Old 10th March 2011, 10:51   #201
BHPian

Can a SX4 DDiS get on your list?
Old 10th March 2011, 11:27   #202
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Very frankly I dont think any of the SUVs around this price brand are really worth their money.

Heck for the price you would pay for a Sante Fe you can get a 1.5 year old XC90 done hardly 20k kms.
He is selling the Safari coz its warranty will expire. Maintaining XC90 will be an issue right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
Since you haven't mentioned anything about the resale value, why not replace your Fiesta with an Optra Magnum Diesel? Is decently loaded, has a powerful engine, is reliable (Chevy 3 year guarantee), ample legroom and the handling is also good. The top-end will set you back by 10l.
Nice car but too old now.Its already 5 years old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
Can a SX4 DDiS get on your list?
Guess he is waiting for the demo car.
Old 10th March 2011, 11:38   #203
Team-BHP Support

Performance Sedan and SX4 DDIS somehow do not sound right in the same sentence.
I guess Suman is going to wait for the new verna. If it does not click, its either a facelifted Fiesta or a Vento.
Old 14th March 2011, 11:03   #204
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Jyothy & Tanveer for summing it up nicely, Sheel, that should put your mind at rest

Now for an update on weekend activity

Rush & ACM have been after me for a while to TD the Aria. So, putting aside our bias against the "Van", we decided to take the plunge on Friday. At 5.30 in the evening, an Aria landed up & we went for a drive. And we came away quite impressed with -
  • The sheer S-P-A-C-E inside
  • Overall road presence
  • Ride comfort
  • Simply awesome equipment levels
  • NVH levels & zero rattles (vehicle had 5k kms on the odo)
  • The light clutch and
  • The overall package, honestly
The only places the Fortuner trumps over it IMHO (but is it worth plonking an extra 5.25 lacs for!) -
  • The Low ratio gearbox
  • Overall height
  • Toyota reputation vis a vis TML
I actually drove it into a major excavation site on the Faridabad road & put it through some serious loose earth mounds & tracks - didn't sweat at all. But, obviously, it cannot go places that The Beast (or the Fortuner) can. The cons of the Aria -
  • Overpriced by at least 1-1.5 lacs
  • The inevitable comparison to an Innova - but then again, I don't think that is a meanignful comparison under any circumstances as the Aria is leagues ahead
  • Hitherto unknown feedback as there are very few owners.
The one dampener to the whole story came from a very senior person in a known dealership who I hold in high regard - he told me that it was far too early for me to be taking the plunge on this new product & that I should wait for at least another 8 to 9 months! Can't afford that timeline. To be honest, I did try to visualise myself in an Aria & it did conjure up a pretty decent picture, I must confess.

So what's it going to be folks? Not sure but here are the current strong contenders shortlists -

Sedan: Vento, new Fiesta, Verna (?? - unknown as yet)
SUV: Aria, Fortuner (cannot digest price & delivery timelines tho....)

The story continues........

Last edited by suman : 14th March 2011 at 11:08.
Old 14th March 2011, 11:14   #205
BHPian

Suman, the more I read into it, the more I am inclined to make a judgement. I don't know why, but I have a strong feeling that eventually you will get the Fortuner!
Old 14th March 2011, 11:42   #206
Team-BHP Support

You are a happy Safari customer. If you have 8 months to spare, why not wait for the new Safari, and simply get the VX 4x4 for 12-13L when its released. I doubt they will delay it more than August. Its definitely coming before Diwali.
Old 14th March 2011, 14:03   #207
Senior - BHPian

Oh, I missed out a very important "Like" about the Aria - just LOVED the brakes, no feet sinking into marshy land feeling, no "Oh God, I'm gonna end up hitting that two wheeler, why doesn't this damn thing stop" kinda feeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
Suman, the more I read into it, the more I am inclined to make a judgement. I don't know why, but I have a strong feeling that eventually you will get the Fortuner!
Heh heh, LOL Sumit, I wish I was as definite as you - that price differential is way too much, just for the Toyota badge. And to be very honest, I'm still not convinced that the Fortuner maintenance costs are really as low as some ownership threads are making them out to be

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
You are a happy Safari customer. If you have 8 months to spare, why not wait for the new Safari, and simply get the VX 4x4 for 12-13L when its released. I doubt they will delay it more than August. Its definitely coming before Diwali.
I would love to do that Tanveer, just that I'm not sure that it will come by Diwali.....

Last edited by suman : 14th March 2011 at 14:05.
Old 14th March 2011, 15:09   #208
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Suman

Another Take.

Had a similar dilema when the new Safari 2.2 was launched and the fact that it so resembled the Safari TCIC both inside and out made me then go for the Laura and later the Aria.

Now though the "New Merlin Safari" is hoped to be quite a revamp over the current Safari, I do feel it will be more similar than it will be different (except perhaps the rear spare wheel going under) and in that sense spoiling the looks.

I feel though both Fortuner (to a bigger extent) and Aria (also to some extent) are overprices, you will probably be better off with one of them. You would know the Aria stablised Sales numbers in another month or two, and if they are not reassuring enough then the Fortuner would be the way to go, else the Aria. Also believe that in a couple of months you would find that getting the Fortuner is not as big a wait as you are currently being offically informed by the service centre.

Somehow feel the new safari merlin is for someone who wants to get into the safari fold for the first time or maybe is upgrading from the TCIC first gen.

Yep the Aria Brakes are real nice, and so is the cornering feel on the highway. But even from the Aria one does tend to give the fortuner a look for the sheer road presence.
Old 28th March 2011, 19:21   #209
Senior - BHPian

Sedan wise - i think the new facelifted verna looks rather good, also the diesel mill is proven and is quite a good highway performer. But i did hear that hyundai are going to tune it more to efficiency this time around.

Suv / Muv wise - I definately love the fortuner, it's robust, easy to maintain, and will truly last forever, well atleast it feels that way.

Also to be mentioned here. I do like the Aria, it truly is a great vehicle from the tata stable, and the top end is packed to the gills with goodies. Also love the front end of the Aria, has that futuristic look to it.

Summing it up -
Sedan ~ Verna
SUV / MUV ~ Fortuner

Edit : The new fiesta from ford looks rather good too. Tough one. which do you like? Fiesta or Verna?
Edit Edit : The Verna it seems is ready for launch, or is it launched already, these days you can't keep up.

Last edited by mdsaab : 28th March 2011 at 19:45.
Old 29th March 2011, 11:32   #210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
Edit : The new fiesta from ford looks rather good too. Tough one. which do you like? Fiesta or Verna?
I would probably go with the new Fiesta unless it turned out that the Verna has undergone a change in DNA & come up trumps in the handling department

At the moment, here's what its looking like -

Sedan: New Fiesta, maybe TD the New Verna
SUV/Crossover: Aria, Pre-owned Fortuner (???). Still not convinced about dishing out 22.5 on a new one.
Closed Thread