Fiesta 1.6 SXI 14 8.19%
Fiesta 1.6 S 37 21.64%
Cedia Sports 96 56.14%
Any others (please name) 24 14.04%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 5th July 2011, 12:52   #241
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Suman's Choices & Dilemma : The Final Countdown!

A SUV (Safari) needs to be replaced with a SUV. My choice - Fortuner.

For a Sedan, I would recommend you try out the Petrol Superb. Its 19L on road (with UA registration) and filled to the brim with luxuries of a vehicle twice its cost. The petrol versions still make sense if your driving is less than 15K kms a year. No sense paying 4-5L extra (for this particular model) The Skoda Dealer at Meerut is close friend and that is the main grouse with Skodas (their dealers). If you need any help with that, I will help you out.

Last edited by dkaile : 5th July 2011 at 12:54.
Old 5th July 2011, 12:56   #242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
The petrol versions still make sense if your driving is less than 15K kms a year.
My own commute is around 115 kms a day; the other vehicle also covers 60-70 kms in a day.

And, no Skodas at the moment, thank you
Old 5th July 2011, 13:12   #243
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
My own commute is around 115 kms a day; the other vehicle also covers 60-70 kms in a day.

To be frank, your choices for SUV are limited.
Either plonk 21L and buy a fortuner, or wait for merlin (13-14).

If you are planning to sell off the Safari immediately, how about buy a hatch with the best resale value, maybe a preowned hatchback. Sell it after 6 months, when the merlin is in your hands.
You will lose around 30K money in 6 months, which is a fair deal.
Old 5th July 2011, 14:04   #244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
To be frank, your choices for SUV are limited.
Either plonk 21L and buy a fortuner, or wait for merlin (13-14).
I'm OK with waiting for the Merlin for another six months or so....if it still doesn't materialize, I'll need to bite some other bullet. Selling the Safari is more so that I get some money to reduce the initial outlay on the new car (as the Fiesta will yield lower than the Safari).

I'm just had this INSANE thought this morning which I posted on another thread - buying a new Civic V MT & petrol costs be damned

(Time to run for cover???)

Last edited by suman : 5th July 2011 at 14:06.
Old 5th July 2011, 14:14   #245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On reading this, I just recalled what I saw yesterday.

A Superb being towed by a Octavia. Octavia obviously was a older model and the Superb had a very recent registration.
Old 5th July 2011, 14:14   #246
BHPian

Quote:
I'm just had this INSANE thought this morning which I posted on another thread - buying a new Civic V MT & petrol costs be damned

(Time to run for cover???)
Suman da, Good that you have mentioned "INSANE" in bold as I nearly fell off my chair reading it. For the amount of Kms that you travel daily, I believe that you should look only at diesels and diesels alone.
Old 18th July 2011, 14:29   #247
Senior - BHPian

The Civic was lined up for a Test Drive on 10th of July. Here are our impressions -
  • Definitely a great rear bench with no center hump on the floor, ample legroom & width, airy & spacious cabin with a lot of light filtering through
  • Nice equipment, the digital speedo being one of them
  • The initial lag can be annoying but the sheer power of the Vtec makes its presence felt very soon thereafter
  • Very poor visibility - even I couldn't see the end of the bonnet from where I was sitting so it would be impossible for my wife & daughter to see anything!
  • Suspension did a reasonable job going flat out over uneven patches
  • Good boot space
The problem was - the sales guy had initially mentioned a price which was quite mouthwatering for the V MT with Sunroof & was lower than the Cruze LTZ. He subsequently called up to apologize & say that it was actually the regualr V MT price that he had quoted. So that kind of brought down my enthusiasm quite a bit & although I didn't turn down the TD, I told him clearly that I would only be interested if he could offer a substantial discount.

I sat & did the Math after the TD and, over a two year period, taking into account the initial outlay as well as the cost of fuel, the Cruze ended up with a Rs 1.20 lac advantage. As far as regular services & maintenance were concerned, they appeared to be at par, based on ownership reports on the forum as well as feedback from friends. And (the biggest surprise), browsing the net, I realized that the resale value of a 2 year Cruze with 50k kms on the odo was the same as a similar Civic, in fact, in a couple of cases, the Cruze was higher! LOL, so much for popular perceptions about higher resale value!

Based on the above, somewhere during the course of last week, we decided that the Civic just didn't make sense, drivers car or not. So it looked like the Cruze was emerging the winner...........

Last edited by suman : 18th July 2011 at 14:32.
Old 18th July 2011, 14:39   #248
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
And (the biggest surprise), browsing the net, I realized that the resale value of a 2 year Cruze with 50k kms on the odo was the same as a similar Civic, in fact, in a couple of cases, the Cruze was higher! LOL, so much for popular perceptions about higher resale value!
Don't go by what is being quoted on the internet. What people ask and what people pay can be two very different things.

Quote:
So it looked like the Cruze was emerging the winner.
LTZ manual? It's a good choice. The only problem with that car and the Captiva is the aggressive clutch. Too hard sprung for Mumbai bumper-to-bumper traffic.
Old 18th July 2011, 14:50   #249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSpur View Post
What people ask and what people pay can be two very different things.
Very true. But some verbal queries amongst brokers also revealed that the Civic was not that far ahead. Probably because the Cruze hasn't been around that long?

Quote:
LTZ manual? It's a good choice. The only problem with that car and the Captiva is the aggressive clutch. Too hard sprung for Mumbai bumper-to-bumper traffic.
Yup, would be the same for the bumper to bumper conditions in the NCR as well.
Old 18th July 2011, 14:53   #250
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Very true. But some verbal queries amongst brokers also revealed that the Civic was not that far ahead. Probably because the Cruze hasn't been around that long?
Also probably because it has been outselling the Civic for some time now. Have a majority of people just gotten bored with it?

By the way, what was that other query for? If it's pertaining to this thread, then boy are you in a serious dilemma or what
Old 18th July 2011, 14:55   #251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
By the way, what was that other query for?
Well, lets just say that (hopefully) the Dilemma is evaporating gradually, more coming up in a bit
Old 18th July 2011, 16:05   #252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, lets just say that (hopefully) the Dilemma is evaporating gradually, more coming up in a bit
I thought you had finalised on the BMW Twins for your garage, 320d and X1. Is it not?
Old 19th July 2011, 12:47   #253
Senior - BHPian

And so it came to pass that on the 16th (last Saturday), we decided to do the final rounds of the showrooms & take the final call. The family were pretty pissed off with my procrastination & dilly-dallying so I had to throw in the incentive of "visit the Chevy showroom to negotiate final prices" to get my kids to agree

The plan was -
  1. Just "check out" the Fluidic Verna on the way
  2. Stop by the Renault showroom in Gurgaon to see the Fluence physically
  3. Visit the Chevy showroom to get a final price for the Cruze
As luck would have it, the Hyundai showroom near our house didn't have the Fluidic in stock so we hopped across to the Renault showroom. Both versions of the Fluence were on display & our first impressions were pretty good. No center hump on the rear floor! The Sales Manager was very attentive & what was even better was that TD vehicles were also available. So, after listening to some Sales Spiel, off we went to TD the Diesel version. An 8-10 km run including one stretch which involved ripping through all the gears & going up to 120 kmph.

Here are our impressions after the TD -
  • SPACE - oodles of it, rear legroom & seat width has to be the best in class
  • Great visibility & excellent ground clearance
  • Light Steering
  • Light clutch (especially compared to the Cruze)
  • Six gears - that's going to really help push up the FE; there is an initial lag which can be annoying but is not a deal breaker
  • Boot - a lot of space back there, 530 liters of it
  • Digital Speedo, turn indicators on ORVM, useful information on the driver info display, 16 inch alloys including the spare wheel
  • Traction Control! Along with ESP
  • Smart Access Card with Start/Stop button
  • Good looking with Street Presence (now this may vary from individual to individual)
So, to sum it up, not a Rocket like the Cruze but a workhorse which would serve very well as a family car. However, definitely a tad overpriced (14.23 lacs on-road), especially when compared with the Cruze LTZ and the equipment that it offers. But, we did leave the showroom pretty impressed, with 3 out of 4 people partly leaning towards the Fluence. The bad part - no discounts, no freebies, heck, they wouldn't even agree to let us take our own insurance!!!

Next on the list was the Chevy showroom. We sat & negotiated prices & came away with a final offer of 14.68 lacs on-road for the LTZ with the 0% Depreciation plus 3M Over & Underbody protection plus Floor Mats & Mudflaps. I told them that I'd send them the booking amount in a couple of days (just to buy time while we debated on whether it was worth taking a risk with the Renault). It was close to 2pm & we decided to lump it as far as Hyundai was concerned & just go home.

Back home, the debates & excel comparisons continued! One thing consistent in our family these days is that all 4 of us rarely agree on the choice of vehicle - in this case, I was 50-50 for the Cruze, my daughter was 100% for the Cruze (even though she'd loved the Fluence steering & clutch) & my wife & son were strongly in favor of the Fluence. Never a dull moment as you can imagine . Towards the end of the evening though, we spoke about the "unknown" reliability of the Renault service backup & warranty policies as well as the "nowhere near the raw power & FTD factor of the Chevy" & we were almost set to take the plunge with the Cruze. My son wasn't happy though!

What was the plan then for Sunday? Nothing much - had to honor a previous Test Drive commitment that my Secretary had made with the local BMW dealership, they were supposed to bring both the X1 as well as the 320d for a TD. "Complete waste of time" was our reaction "and that too at 10 am on a Sunday!!!" Anyway, gotta go through the motions.....maybe we should check the Fluidic out as well? "NO WAY!!!" was the unanimous response as we finally called it a day. Couple of weeks down the road, there would be a shiny Atlantis Blue Chevy Cruze LTZ in our garage............

Last edited by suman : 19th July 2011 at 12:49.
Old 19th July 2011, 15:10   #254
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Suman's Final Dilemma : 320d or X1? EDIT : It's the X1

So finally, half the saga is over . Staying tuned for the next half!
Old 19th July 2011, 15:34   #255
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Suman's Final Dilemma : 320d or X1? EDIT : It's the X1

Congrats dada, its a gud choice and overall package and equipment list offered by Cruze is unmatched at this price.

i am happy the 1st part of dilemma is sorted.
Closed Thread