Fiesta 1.6 S 37 21.64%
Cedia Sports 96 56.14%
Any others (please name) 24 14.04%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 19th July 2011, 17:36   #256
Senior - BHPian

Thats a great choice suman.
I am sure you will be happy with the cruze for a long time. So the fluence came pretty close indeed.
I quite like the fluence too, but you do get a hesitant feeling laying your money down on one.
So, congratulations on a great choice. And look forward to an ownership report soon.
Good luck!
Old 19th July 2011, 18:50   #257
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Suman's Final Dilemma : 320d or X1? EDIT : It's the X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
So finally, half the saga is over
Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
Congrats dada, its a gud choice and overall package and equipment list offered by Cruze is unmatched at this price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
Thats a great choice suman.
I am sure you will be happy with the cruze for a long time. So the fluence came pretty close indeed.
Guys, while I really appreciate your good wishes, I must tell you that its never over till the fat lady sings! And what I mentioned below was truly the last thought on our minds as we drifted off to sleep on Saturday -
Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Couple of weeks down the road, there would be a shiny Atlantis Blue Chevy Cruze LTZ in our garage............
However, Sunday was a whole new day altogether & it blew our Saturday Night Fever to bits & brought a new dimension to the dilemma.......more on that coming up
Old 19th July 2011, 18:54   #258
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Guys, while I really appreciate your good wishes, I must tell you that its never over till the fat lady sings! And what I mentioned below was truly the last thought on our minds as we drifted off to sleep on Saturday -

However, Sunday was a whole new day altogether & it blew our Saturday Night Fever to bits & brought a new dimension to the dilemma.......more on that coming up

and

I am able to understand your predicament.

So, we are now eager to know what shook you..? was it the New Merlin..?

Or something else.?
Old 19th July 2011, 19:04   #259
Senior - BHPian

Whoa whoa whoa!
There are more twisties on this thread than some of the best ghats out there.
Look forward to a shocker from your side.
This may or may not ever be a contender.
But there is a teaser ad of the new force suv on our way home. And it really caught my eye. It shows only the bottom half of the suv though. Till the headlights.
Very distracting indeed, and its just on the last stretch home so it kinda sits in your mind while your washing up. After a few splashes to the face. Its outta there though.
Old 19th July 2011, 20:19   #260
Senior - BHPian

Woke up to a usual Sunday morning, the only fly in the ointment being the BMW TD scheduled for 10am - who on earth accepts a TD offer that early on a Sunday? Your truly, who else!!

10am the phone rings, its the BMW guy & I'm hoping he's gonna apologize & say he can't make it. I mean, what's the point wasting an hour TD-ing vehicles that I'll never buy? But he apologizes because he's going to be 15 minutes late. And he's bringing both cars. Sigggghhhhhh....

So he arrives & we go down & we see an almost brand new X1 & a not so new 320d parked side by side. Hmmm, interesting. He's in a hurry to send the X1 to another customer so that's the one we try out first. Get in, push the seat all the way back & I'm sure my daughter will complain about no legroom at the back. But, she says its OK. Gingerly press the Start-Stop button, bring the shifter down to D, release the parking brake & we're ready to go. Not used to an Automatic so I was extra careful! I felt the heaviness in the steering immediately (had been warned by Abishek2222) & then told myself - Heavy? After the Safari? You gotta be kiddin me!!

And off we went for a TD. The heaviness that I'd felt disappeared as the speeds went up & the twists & turns appeared. Took it up the Pahari towards the Gurgaon-Faridabad road & let her rip. Asked rear seat occupants - they were comfortable thus far although underthigh support could have been much better. The sales guy told me to check out the brakes, in fact, he told me to stand on them. Vehicle came to a stop without a fuss (though ABS kicked in) and a nice touch - the hazard warning lights came on automatically. They went off after we started moving again.

After a "bad road" drive, came back to the Golf Course Road & that's when he told me Sir, check out the Sports Mode! He activated it, I floored the pedal & boy, what a feeling! Swept past a Fortuner & for a brief second he thought of coming after us but a dab of the pedal & he was history

Hey, you guys enjoying yourselves in the rear seat?

So we came back after a joyous drive & then it was the turn of the 3 series. The rear was slightly more cramped, more so because of the floor AC ducts & the center hump, it was strictly a 2 person rear seat. But the underthigh support was marginally better. And the steering was a hoot, so damn light & pliant! As for the engine, what can I say - an absolute delight, along with the handling. What was a nightmare though was the ground clearance (145 mm versus the 193 of the X1) so I had really nurse the vehicle & come to almost a standstill at every pothole.

Two exhilarating drives and 45 minutes of "good fun" later, we were back home!! After such an experience, just had to invite the guy up. By the way, I was seriously impressed during the drive - the guy knew his stuff, all of it, there was no "I'll get back to you", the answers came pat, along with the figures. He gave me the final on-road prices & I blinked when he mentioned the discount on the 320d, which was making it cheaper than the X1 (its normally the other way round). And we thereafter exchanged our pleasantries & he was on his way.

Half an hour later, the family regrouped & I asked the magical question - Should we stretch & go for it? The answer was a unanimous YES!!! And that's where the consistency surfaced again - this time, my wife & I were united about the X1 and the kids were all for the 320d!

And that's where we are at the moment ladies & gentlemen - the final dilemma! The Cruze has faded into the background & the BMWs now hold centerstage. What do you think -
  • 320d (yes, I know there is a fresher version coming sometime next year), or
  • X1?
and Why? Keep in mind that I have a 115 km daily commute, 60 odd kms of which will be on the Expressway & the rest of it will be on a typical mix of BAD & not so bad & decent NCR roads. Keep in mind that apart from the roads, the buses, trucks & call center cabs are all out to eat lesser vehicles for breakfast, lunch & dinner. This vehicle will, in effect, replace the Safari & will not be given to the driver. Period. So its going to be My Drive!

Your thoughts, feedback & comments will be welcome. With this kind of a financial stretch, I will not be buying a second car at this point in time. The Fiesta will continue as the family workhorse & I may need to do some preventive maintenance to keep it going for another 9-12 months (don't see a problem with that though).

Am I nuts? Maybe.....but its going to be a Bimmer after all!!!!
Old 19th July 2011, 20:39   #261
BHPian

Another twist in the tale... Unbelievable! Though personally I feel the BMW X1 is the one to go for since it is still all fresh.

Wish I have the liberty of choosing between a 320d and an X1 for My Drive someday!!
Old 19th July 2011, 20:56   #262
Senior - BHPian

You want to own a car with 145mm Ground clearance and drive it on non-existent Gurgaon Roads? That will be a big big issue. People cry for ANHC/civic scrapping speed breakers even with 160-170mm GC but a car with 145mm GC is seriously not for Gurgaon/NCR. I know few people who own this car here in Gurgaon crying because of GC issues.

I sincerely request you to please go for BMW X1. First it is fresh model and will be there for some years before a revamp. Second it will give you both SUV and sedan feel (you won’t miss your Safari) and finally X1 will easily handle Gurgaon roads without any issue.

My Vote goes for X1.

Best of Luck!

PS - I know you will go for X1, waiting for a new ownership thread very soon.

Last edited by bluevolt : 19th July 2011 at 21:02.
Old 19th July 2011, 21:08   #263
BHPian

X1

Even though I prefer the 320D looks, the ground clearance is a deal breaker. When the Fiesta grounds, I'm sure you wince! A 320D grounding would be a much bigger OUCH. Plus, do you really want to be driving around pussy footing in a 320D, or continue as with the Safari?!
Old 19th July 2011, 21:10   #264
Distinguished - BHPian

OK so you are using the budget of 2 cars on one.

If you were OK with Cruze MT then the 320d is no too much different from a GC and back-seat point of view while being much easier and fun to to drive.

Dont worry about the new version because it will take a while to come here and there will be no discounts or CE for the first couple of years.
Old 19th July 2011, 21:20   #265
Senior - BHPian

dada,

i think you should go for X1 and a cheap hatch like new Swift and it should be ok.
But i must warn you about the maintenance etc of the bimmer as it wont be peanuts like you spent on Safari.

but i must admit, its a very serious dilemma now, i am so confused to predict anything.
Old 19th July 2011, 21:31   #266
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
PS - I know you will go for X1, waiting for a new ownership thread very soon.
LOL, I wish I was as sure myself!
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi413 View Post
Wish I have the liberty of choosing between a 320d and an X1 for My Drive someday!!
And I'm sure the day will come in the not too distant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by unni.ak View Post
Plus, do you really want to be driving around pussy footing in a 320D, or continue as with the Safari?!
I'll have to pussyfoot with the X1 as well Unni, every time I see one of those Gurgaon craters
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Dont worry about the new version because it will take a while to come here and there will be no discounts or CE for the first couple of years.
Yup, budget for 2 on 1. And that's what I thought as well - be a while before it gets here. Only thing is, I'd hate to scrape & 145 is a lot lower than the Cruze IIRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
dada,

i think you should go for X1 and a cheap hatch like new Swift and it should be ok.
But i must warn you about the maintenance etc of the bimmer as it wont be peanuts like you spent on Safari.
Sandeep, the new Swift is exactly what I was thinking. And if I finally take the plunge with the BMW, I'm going with the BSI package that covers all routine maintenance for 3 years/60k kms. After 3 years, we'll see!
Old 19th July 2011, 21:39   #267
Senior - BHPian

Hello,

Do not have an exact date but you will have the electric steering wheel in the X1 in some time.

Regards,
Old 19th July 2011, 21:46   #268
Team-BHP Support

Suman since you have upped your budget, do take a look at the other options in that price range too.

1) Superb Diesel
2) Passat

It will be worth it just to have a quick drive of them, and then be sure that you want to buy a Bimmer. That is unless you have checked those out already.

To be honest, I would take the Passat over the 320d because -

1) More space
2) Many more features
3) Almost as powerful as the 320d, yes a bit slower but will a . of a second really matter?
4) Ride will be better, but handling and driving involvement not as good.
5) Fresh model + sexy DRLs

Do give it a thought.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2011, 21:58   #269
BHPian

@Suman,

X1 it should be-all the best!!

But wait for a while if you can, and give a side glance to the Audi Q3,will you-just in case?
Old 19th July 2011, 22:16   #270
Team-BHP Support

Suman, I have been driving my friend's X1 for more than a week now(24x7), I am also writing a review on it(will be posted this week).

Suman's Final Dilemma : 320d or X1? EDIT : It's the X1-img_4754.jpg

Both 320d and X1 may not be the right cars for you. Both have uncomfortably stiff ride, plus X1 becomes bumpy at speed, the ride at rear is very uncomfortable. X1s steering is great for spirited driving but for normal usage it is tooo heavy. Both these cars have tight space, 320d is tighter, X1 is better. Unfortunately we do not have roads in Gurgaon to enjoy these cars. In comparison even my cheaper Laura has a Magic carpet ride and i can throw Laura on to those huge crater like potholes since it has higher profile rubber.

Yes, they have the drive dynamics and performance but it might not more important to you than Ride comfort and Space.

I recommend Passat and Superb over 320d and X1 for you. The BMWs make sense for youngsters, who do not care about the practical aspects.

Amongst BMWs i prefer 320d, but remember it is due for replacement soon. Also have a look at the C class, they are offering huge discounts as a facelifted version is due.

Last edited by .anshuman : 19th July 2011 at 23:35.
Closed Thread