Any others (please name) 24 14.04%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 23rd July 2011, 16:43   #316
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Suman's Final Dilemma : 320d or X1? EDIT : It's the X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
I will list out the additional stuff over both as well as what could be missing, once I decide which Bimmer its going to be. Right now, I can safely say -

Its not infatuation for sure
And its not love either
Its pure OBSESSION

But yes, its a conscious decision I'm taking, with an absolutely clear mind & in the cold light of day
Love that one. I hope the obsession leads into a conscious decision of 320d

X1 or 320d, hope you have already checked into the assembly line. Obsession is Joy!

Last edited by vb-san : 23rd July 2011 at 16:46. Reason: realigned
Old 23rd July 2011, 18:01   #317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its pure OBSESSION
Wonderful !
Then go for the 3. It'll thrill you most of the year. The 2nd car (or maybe a cheap 3rd one !!) can take up more responsibilities during the monsoon months
Old 23rd July 2011, 19:37   #318
Senior - BHPian

I will still recommend X1 instead of 320d only because of the most crucial ground clearance issue. 145mm is not for NCR. I know 320d is superior to X1 in many areas but GC is the most important aspect while making a car purchase. Driving in NCR is off-roading most of the time. If it is not a BMW then Cruze is an obvious candidate.

PS - I still believe you will go for X1.
Old 23rd July 2011, 19:45   #319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Obsession is Joy!
I love this one
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
I will still recommend X1 instead of 320d only because of the most crucial ground clearance issue. 145mm is not for NCR.
The other issue is that just about everything on two wheels or four will take punga with the 320!
Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Wonderful !
Then go for the 3. It'll thrill you most of the year.
Just came back from second round of back to back test drives which were inconclusive

But I have asked the BMW guy to come tomorrow to collect the booking amount. We have even finalized the color - Deep Sea Blue, now its just the machine! LOL, but I'll tell you this Shuvo - the X1 ain't no slouch either! Yes, the 320 has the tiny advantage but the X1 does bring a smile to one's face too!
Old 23rd July 2011, 19:49   #320
Senior - BHPian

320d is the obvious lock if OBSESSION is the key!

Quote:
I will still recommend X1 instead of 320d only because of the most crucial ground clearance issue. 145mm is not for NCR. I know 320d is superior to X1 in many areas but GC is the most important aspect while making a car purchase. Driving in NCR is off-roading most of the time. If it is not a BMW then Cruze is an obvious candidate.
Which roads of NCR are in off-roading condition? NCR has some of the best roads in the country. If NCR roads are not meant for 320d with that GC, then forget about driving 320d in any other part of India.
Old 23rd July 2011, 20:09   #321
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Typing a message which is not a value-addition to the topic being discussed, or is just entirely irrelevant is considered as “Spam” on this community. Spamming is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 25th July 2011 at 15:26.
manyu is offline   Received Infraction
Old 23rd July 2011, 20:20   #322
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I love this one
Thank you!

Quote:
The other issue is that just about everything on two wheels or four will take punga with the 320!
That will happen even with the X1.

Quote:
Just came back from second round of back to back test drives which were inconclusive
But I have asked the BMW guy to come tomorrow to collect the booking amount. We have even finalized the color - Deep Sea Blue, now its just the machine! LOL, but I'll tell you this Shuvo - the X1 ain't no slouch either! Yes, the 320 has the tiny advantage but the X1 does bring a smile to one's face too!
Hope that tiny advantage will turn to be a huge one overnight! Go to bed mumbling just one word Three. Here is your last chance to own a classic from BMW
Old 23rd July 2011, 20:28   #323
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I love this one

+1, I see most two and three wheeler guys taking punga with sedans and they stay away from SUV/MUV type of vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
320d is the obvious lock if OBSESSION is the key!

Which roads of NCR are in off-roading condition? NCR has some of the best roads in the country. If NCR roads are not meant for 320d with that GC, then forget about driving 320d in any other part of India.
I guess you are referring to roads like Ring road, NH1, DG expressway, Noida expressway and so on. I know they are very good and smooth roads but there are other inner roads also (which are not famous by some names) on which we have to drive the vehicle many times and they are in pathetic condition. We can't drive the vehicle always on smooth roads and sometimes we have to go to some other place where conditions are worse. Suman knows the road conditions in NCR.

And another point to ponder is that when it rains in NCR even the Gurgaon expressway/Delhi ring road is flooded and I wonder what will happen if by chance water enters engine of a low slung car.
Old 23rd July 2011, 21:39   #324
Senior - BHPian

Suman,
Why not pick up both the 320 & the X1 after all you do need to replace both of your rides.

Quote:
+1, I see most two and three wheeler guys taking punga with sedans and they stay away from SUV/MUV type of vehicle.

there are other inner roads also (which are not famous by some names) on which we have to drive the vehicle many times and they are in pathetic condition. We can't drive the vehicle always on smooth roads and sometimes we have to go to some other place where conditions are worse. Suman knows the road conditions in NCR.

I wonder what will happen if by chance water enters engine of a low slung car.

Which Dilli is this where 2 & 3 wheelers take pungas anymore than those in other cities and the interior roads are a mess, do enlighten us.

As for water entering the engine it will stall whether it is a low or a high slung vehicle, period. If Suman knows the road conditions then I believe the chances of such a situation arising is highly unlikely.
Old 23rd July 2011, 21:47   #325
Senior - BHPian

I will not like to indulge in any sort of debate or something like that. I have given my views and that is it.

Many congratulations Suman for your New ride.
Old 23rd July 2011, 21:58   #326
BHPian

Quote:
Its not infatuation for sure
And its not love either
Its pure OBSESSION
Suman,
YOU INSPIRE ME !!! Dont think I can afford one right now, but your Passion/Obsession got me to re-work my finances to the tee ( still doesnt make me come closer to the three )

Nonetheless, pls lemme know the final discount youve been able to fork out !!!

cheers
Old 23rd July 2011, 22:55   #327
BHPian

Quote:
Charthom, I cannot comment on whether the Jetta ride is jittery but I can tell you that the Run Flats definitely do not give you a jittery ride
Good to notice the above,Suman.Have never rode a Bimmer,leave alone driving one. Being no expert,my opinion is what I have read.

Congratulations to you on your Bimmer-whether it is X1 or 320d. I am sure you will choose wisely.Enjoy the ride.

Rgds,charthom.
Old 24th July 2011, 10:24   #328
Senior - BHPian

@Suman - Do let us know the final deal you are able to rake out from them. 320D is the obvious choice.
Do read what Jeremy Clarkson has to say about the X1 - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2439100 (BMW X1 20d CE: Joy Experienced) However don't take him too seriously -
Quote:
If it were a book, it would have no plot and a stupid cover and it would fall to pieces in the sun. But it isn’t a book. And neither is it a car. It’s rubbish.
Old 24th July 2011, 15:06   #329
Senior - BHPian

So we made a booking this morning! And I hate to break the hearts of the 320d fans but it looks like its the X1 sDrive20d that's going to find a place in our garage. Sorry folks, although the 320 has an awesome engine, apart from a brilliant steering, decent underthigh support in the rear seat & rear AC vents, the X1 won the contest. As mentioned earlier we chose Deep Sea Blue, they have a couple of those in stock & we're planning to take delivery on Thursday. Will keep you posted in case any unforeseen circumstances pop up again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
Which roads of NCR are in off-roading condition? NCR has some of the best roads in the country.
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyu View Post
Plus one to that ! Completely agree
And some of the worst as well. On my commute, I do face some totally broken stretches in and around DLF Phase V, the Faridabad-Gurgaon road and some not so great ones around Ayanagar, Malviya Nagar & Jasola.

Post the first monsoon showers, Gurgaon is in a holy mess - craters, lakes & slush
Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
That will happen even with the X1.
To a much lesser extent than with the 320.......
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Suman, Why not pick up both the 320 & the X1 after all you do need to replace both of your rides.
Sure Tarun, you sponsoring me ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Which Dilli is this where the interior roads are a mess, do enlighten us.
Come on, its not all expressway driving & you know that as well as I do....
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Jeremy Clarkson sometimes makes sense, only sometimes
Quote:
And another point to ponder is that when it rains in NCR even the Gurgaon expressway/Delhi ring road is flooded and I wonder what will happen
Tell me about it! I was thinking each time one of those heavy afternoon downpours happened, I'd probably just have to leave the 320d in the Office basement & hitch a ride with someone & take the Metro thereafter!!

Last edited by suman : 24th July 2011 at 15:23.
suman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th July 2011, 15:48   #330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

PS - I know you will go for X1, waiting for a new ownership thread very soon.
Quote:

PS - I still believe you will go for X1.
Quote:
the X1 won the contest. As mentioned earlier we chose Deep Sea Blue, they have a couple of those in stock & we're planning to take delivery on Thursday.
And as you can see from my previous posts I already had the answer.

Congratulations for your BMW X1 (car will look stunning in blue color), Waiting eagerly for a new ownership thread.

You made the correct decision considering the real life aspects. No doubt 320d is a looker and a fantastic car but GC was the only drawback.
bluevolt is online now   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread