Cedia Sports 96 56.14%
Any others (please name) 24 14.04%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 23rd October 2009, 13:56   #121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
In fact, we're giving the Fiesta a miss completely (decided that we don't want to buy a Fiesta all over again). At the moment, it looks like the Cedia Sports...and we'll Test Drive the ANHC & the Linea 1.6MJD (if its out by then) just to convince ourselves that Cedia Sports is the way to go
Great choice Suman bhai.. Though Linea 1.3 + pete also ain't that bad option.
Old 24th October 2009, 13:10   #122
BANNED

Thanks...tarunt & souravdebiswas for your reviews.
i visited the dealer yesterday only at Lucknow and he has humbly asked me to put down the option of 1.6S, he is advising not to go for Sports as it is not fit for drive..
I like both the aqua blue of 1.6S and the white premium 1.6SXI, and this will be my petrol sedan which I will keep for a long time of at least 5-6 years,
so, please suggest, i like the looks of sports but feel that the SXI premium could be a good option.. I am Completely Confused.

i am also thinking of putting a touch screen 2 din LCD of Ken wood by replacing the current fiesta player, but the sales man refused to change the same and told me that you can replace after the purchase and company would not be taking it back.
souravdebiswas
souravdebiswas
Old 11th February 2011, 14:41   #123
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Suman's Choices & Dilemma : The Final Countdown!

At the outset, I must inform you that a year & a half later, I still haven't taken the plunge .

, now that I've got that confession out of my system, lets proceed with the whys & hows! The situation has changed a bit & so have the options that are being considered. At this point in time -
  • The Fiesta 1.6 is a little over 5 years old & has completed 114k kms
  • The Safari VX 4x4 is almost 4.5 years old & has completed 99k kms
Both cars, obviously, are out of warranty & I'm looking at replacing both in 2011. Here are my thoughts & please feel free to add yours -

Fiesta Replacement - Current choices
There are quite a few sedans but the criteria is a fully loaded, FTD sedan which I can rip on weekends -
  1. Vento TDI Highline - TD done last weekend. Loved the acceleration, handling & the info on the MID, didn't like the absence of USB, Steering Mounted Audio controls, Leather Upholstery & Electrically Retracting ORVMs, didn't like the outdated music system & hump on the center of the rear floor. None of these would be deal breakers though. Was appalled by VW's disinterested Sales force. 5 month waiting list & the color we want hasn't been launched yet (the Blue) but will probably be available by the time the vehicle arrives. Overall, the family liked it. 10.08 OTR Gurgaon
  2. Cedia Sports (wink, wink) - Was slated for a TD last weekend but the guy didn't land up (was kinda prepared for that as the Gurgaon showroom has closed so it is now handled by Excel Motors, Mathura Road). He is supposed to bring the car tomorrow, lets wait & see if it arrives. The fly in the ointment is that out of the original goodies on the Sports, they have taken out the Navigation, Rear View Camera, Black & Red Leather upholstery & God knows what else! Do we want a stripped Cedia Sports that badly? Dunno, lets see if the TD brainwashes us that bad! 10.17 OTR Gurgaon
  3. New Verna - this becomes a candidate only if we zero in on the Vento & if it is launched by end March-early April. Given the 5 month wait for the Vento, we can afford to keep looking at any new offerings that are fully loaded & VFM. The BIG UNKNOWN (or should that be KNOWN, lol) & a possible deal breaker would be the infamous handling
  4. New Fiesta Sedan - expected launch in June, like the Verna, this becomes a contender only if we decide on a Vento. Although interior space would be as cramped as the current Fiesta, the only reason we would look at it would be because of our comfort & satisfaction levels with two Petrol Fords in succession - the Ikon 1.6 & the Fiesta 1.6
Safari Replacement
Really thought hard about this & the only options that I could come up with are given below. We rejected (Diesel options only) the Fortuner because it is overpriced, has lousy middle row comfort & lousy brakes (yes, still has), the Endeavour because it continues to have horrible middle row ride, the Captiva for being an overpriced AWD solution & the Yeti for having zero road presence & being backed by the wonderful Skoda A.S.S. -
  1. Mahindra World SUV - was keen on checking this out as we'd heard it was coming in Q1 this year. Now one hears that it's been pushed back to Q4 so its fading off my list. Also, the unknown factors were middle row ride comfort, overall space & quality of interiors (interior pics that I've seen so far haven't impressed me one bit). Add to that the fact that they may just about make it an AWD & not give a 4L option (quite like the Aria) - not my cup of tea
  2. New Safari (Merlin) - the family is quite happy with The Beast & it has served us well. Although the current 2.2 appears to continue to have its share of electrical & fuel injection gremlins, the space & comfort levels are unparalleled. The only gripe I have with the 3.0 liter is its sluggishness in the initial gears & its narrow power band - something that has already been taken care of in the 2.2. I have got too used to this vehicle irrespective of whether its the highway or back roads, deserted thoroughfares or traffic. It will merely be an extension of an already longstanding & mature relationship. Plus I have a really good equation with my workshop - a HUGE PLUS! Question is - when will the Merlin be launched? I can wait till mid-Q3 or maybe a bit longer if required. I just heard that it will definitely roll out by June so that suits me fine - keeping my fingers crossed.
What say guys? Feel free to let the ideas roll out. Do remember that my total investment on both replacements should not cross 25 lacs overall.

Last edited by suman : 11th February 2011 at 14:47.
Old 11th February 2011, 14:55   #124
Senior - BHPian

How about spending around 30L? Means ARIA+TJET
Old 11th February 2011, 15:29   #125
BHPian

Suman: Good dilemma and good shortlist as well. I would have probably got a similar shortlist had I been in your situation.

My picks for you:

SEDAN:

1. Vento TDI HIghline: This seems to tick all of your boxes. You can upgrade the ICE with the Wiston head unit as many of our tbhp folks have done. A class act every which way you look at it.

2. Verna CRDi: The tech specs say the car developes 126 PS from the 1.6 L CRDi engine. WALLOP! The two usual negatives from Hyundai are: 1. Below par interiors--> I have a feeling Hyundai has been getting better at this and will get the interior quality much better this time. 2. Handling--> Well, even if it is a neutral handler, it should do. The current Verna is horrible.

3. New Jetta: If you can wait for a while, then this could leave you speechless. It is essentially a bigger and more luxurious Vento with slightly better styling. Although I think you are looking to buy a car right away.

4. CIVIC?: If you are open to pre owned way, the this is our tbhp fav. Enough has already been said about the car! It sips petrol though. A new model is on its way, so no point in going for a new one.

SUV:

1. Mahindra W201: Looks like the sole runner in the race. It should be cracker and is HUGE.

2. Used Captiva/X Trail: A used Captiva can set you back by a fairly modest 10 lakh? The X Trail, though a brilliant vehicle, is a proclaimed flop, which gives you a great chance to buy a used sample for half the price. In India, we only worship Honda/toyota, which a good thing for used car buyers.
Old 11th February 2011, 15:30   #126
Senior - BHPian

Suman-da, why not the T-Jet?

Especially considering that they can be bought from the same dealer and can be serviced at the same workshop.

And not to forget that the car is FTD
Old 11th February 2011, 15:58   #127
BHPian

I would suggest replacing the Fiesta with a Laura TSi and replace the Safari with the Merlin as and when it arrives on the scene. Both combined should be around 25l. The TSi is fun to drive (the base version does not have all the bells and whistles but around 40-50k should take care of that) and the Merlin would continue a very comfortable (going by your account) relationship.
Old 11th February 2011, 18:05   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

Quite a dilemma, isn't it? On the one hand there are too many FTD sedans competing for your attention and money, and on the other, there are no decent SUVs offering 4WD with low-range TC.

A pre-owned Pajero appeals to you?
Old 11th February 2011, 19:29   #129
Senior - BHPian

Ahaa..see how long a potential New Lancer buyer has been waiting and there is still no sign of it..lolzzz. HM bole to Hit Me...

Nice to hear from you Sir.

For an upgrade, the only strong contender I see here is the VW Vento and the Cedia to a limit. I personally wont recommend the new Verna and the new fiesta. Where Verna wont satisfy you in terms of driving pleasure considering you have owned the delightful fiesta 1.6, the New Fiesta wont really be an upgrade for you.

The new cedia (whats bloody new about it), doesnt have leather seats, sat nav and touch screen music system, it gives you a sports look from outside with elegant biege inside. I mean common momo steering and sports pedals with biege and wooden dash. But I will still recommend the car for comfort, driving pleasure, fantastic reliability and very pocket friendly service. Parts though are overpriced (some equal to civic and some above), the prices have gone up since last year. This is still the best car this side of 10 lac rupees.

Thw Vento again is an excellent car. You not only get good FE with TDI but also get a fantastic engine. It looks like a proper sedan, features are good and interiors feel roomy. Rear AC vents is a good additional feature. The plastic qualtiy though good is still not as good as that in cedia, the plastic isnt a bit soft to touch, center driver arm rest is pathetic and you cant use hand brake till you pull up the arm rest. In addition, repliability is somthing which isnt in favour of germans, ofcourse modern cars are reliable but this is where the japanese win hands down.

Also not to forget, the service cost of polo is 8k plus at every 15k kms, that of vento will be under 10. The service cost of cedia is 3-3.5k for every 10k kms and 8-10k for 40k kms (ofcourse VW uses synthetic but its optional in Mitsui).

Lastly, the civic at home (cousin's) was rear ended 15 days back and the polo has been rear ended today (god, please help us). Bumpers of both the cars tore apart and civic also had some damage to the boot. Havent managed to have a look at polo as my brother still hasnt returned from college. He told me about the accident on phone. The polo was rear ended by a santro and civic by zen both at speeds of around 40-50. Now get this, my fiend's cedia was rear ended by a qualis with bull guard, when he was stand still and the qualis hit him at 50+. The cedia had nothing other than a cracked rear bumper and qualis had a broken bull guard, broken head lamp and broken bumper. This is because cedia has a big steel support behind the rear bumper to prevent damage.

One more important aspect in cars these days, ofcourse its for padestrian's safety, the front head light support in all new cars is made of plastic (i20, polo, vento, civic, city, etc etc). Now, this means, even if you hit at a speed of 40kmpl, the front assembly including, grill, bumper, lights, condensor, radiator and the support will be completely wracked. In cedia, you have the steel support assebly and then a big front cross with extended bumbers which takes most of the hit.

So, if you have to take a plunge right now, it should either be cedia or the vento. However, I would suggest you wait for the new civic and the new Jetta. Both will be brilliant cars and a looker too. I mean I am not a big fan of the aero shape honda look but the audi similar front on the Jetta will look smashing. I'd say wait for the new jetta.

Now, if you buy a vento TDi or Jetta TDi, you can look for a pre-owned outlander. A 2008-09 model should be available with in 10-12 lacs. Although, I really like the safari, niggling issues take your breath away. I am personally not a big fan of Mahendra or TATA, and if its about buying an Indian Brand (I know people who buy HM, TATA or Mahendra, nothing specific to you or the current owners), I'd in later stages of my life like to plonk money on Jaguar, so the money will go to our INDIAN TATA.

So if you buy vento and the outy, you save 3 lac rupees and if you buy jetta and Outy, you will probably be 1-2 lac rupees over your budget.

PS: I know you are not much interested in pre owned but common a within 2 year old car, on which you can have extended warranty and then the Japanese reliability and then all the comfort and then you save 10 lac rupees and then get a much better car and then.....I wont stop, Mitsu fever you know.

Also, extended warranty is currently not available on either polo or vento. I am scared, you know.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 11th February 2011 at 19:37.
Old 11th February 2011, 20:12   #130
BANNED

Sedan:

For its build quality and refinement, Nothing close to VW Vento TDI

SUV:

For being a Safari Boy since a long time, any Mahindra's that comes out will let you down in terms of cramped interiors and ride quality, which were the main HIGHLIGHT on your 3L Beast.

Dont hurry up on replacing the Beast, wait up for the MERLIN.
Old 13th February 2011, 04:48   #131
BHPian

It should be a simple decision:

Sedan: Mitsubishi Cedia
SUV: Mitsubishi Outlander
Old 13th February 2011, 07:01   #132
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post

Fiesta Replacement - Current choices
There are quite a few sedans but the criteria is a fully loaded, FTD sedan which I can rip on weekends -[list=1].
I would definitely add the T-jet to the list and do a comprehensive TD. There is also a stripped out Laura if it suits your fancy. Cedia is still a solid car but will be 2 generations old in a few years.

But seriously its hard to beat the Vento Tdi for combination of fun and economy. IMO the only negative point is the kinda sober exterior design.

Last edited by Mpower : 13th February 2011 at 07:22.
Old 13th February 2011, 07:12   #133
Senior - BHPian

@suman: The only car I can think or replacing the Fiesta with is a T-Jet +
Check it out.
If not, I would wait for the new Fiesta and Verna. They have the potential to make its rivals look old.

As for the SUV, how about the Fortuner if you do not mind spending?
Old 14th February 2011, 13:40   #134
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the suggestions guys! In the meantime, took a TD of the Cedia Sports over the weekend. The TD car itself was not a very good specimen - wheels had not been aligned or balanced for ages so I really couldn't put it through the kind of punishment I had initially thought of . However, engine performance & road holding was awesome. The Vento's brakes felt way better & overall space at the rear was better. However, the Cedia rear seat had a lot of depth & under thigh support was excellent. Luggage space in the boot appeared to be much less than the Vento's. Do we want to buy the Cedia? Not at the current price & (lack of) equipment. I've told the guy to come back with a realistic price - if he does, I'll take it further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
How about spending around 30L? Means ARIA+TJET
Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Suman-da, why not the T-Jet?
And not to forget that the car is FTD
Not really keen on the Aria at this point. As far as the Linea is concerned, dunno why but I've always felt claustrophobic in the vehicle, be it front or rear. Maybe its the sloping roof or whatever but no Lineas for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
SEDAN:

1. Vento TDI HIghline: This seems to tick all of your boxes. You can upgrade the ICE with the Wiston head unit as many of our tbhp folks have done. A class act every which way you look at it.
Agree with your take on the Vento & the Verna, lets wait & watch. Not interested in pre-owned cars else would have settled on a Civic/Altis last year itself. As far as the Mahindra SUV is concerned, I have a feeling it'll get pushed back to 2012. Also, the comfort factor is pushing me towards the Safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesc View Post
I would suggest replacing the Fiesta with a Laura TSi and replace the Safari with the Merlin as and when it arrives on the scene.
Nah, no Skodas for me at this point in time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
A pre-owned Pajero appeals to you?
Doc, no pre-owned & certainly not the outdated Pajero. Besides, there's nothing wrong with the Safari, the replacement is just a pre-emptive move. Getting a pre-owned Pajero will not be pre-emption but asking for trouble!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
Ahaa..see how long a potential New Lancer buyer has been waiting and there is still no sign of it..lolzzz. HM bole to Hit Me...
Man, tell me about it Gaurav

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
The new cedia (whats bloody new about it), doesnt have leather seats, sat nav and touch screen music system, it gives you a sports look from outside with elegant biege inside. I mean common momo steering and sports pedals with biege and wooden dash.
That was exactly my reaction - a "Lala" sports!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
But seriously its hard to beat the Vento Tdi for combination of fun and economy. IMO the only negative point is the kinda sober exterior design.
Absolutely! If only the edges were a little sharper, it would have looked so much better - we found it a little blunt!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
As for the SUV, how about the Fortuner if you do not mind spending?
Sanjay, just can't digest spending that kind of money on the Fortuner.
Old 14th February 2011, 15:05   #135
Senior - BHPian

@suman: I drove a Vento when i was home last.
I really did not enjoy it as much as the fiesta. It was fast, but the fiesta felt more nimble, comfortable, better around the corners, and the stiffer suspension helped over undulations.
I personally found the Vento a very good car for those who are not looking at FTD as one of the primary consideration factors.
Instead, i would advice you to wait for the new Fiesta/Verna instead.

As for the SUV: I know what you mean when you say that you dont want to spend so much on the fortuner. The innova offers almost as much for cheaper + better ride quality.

Your thread promises to be interesting as we too might be looking for a fiesta replacement and it could be an SUV. But who knows if it will materialize, as I am enjoying the fiesta a lot!
Closed Thread