Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 23rd August 2009, 23:19   #16
BHPian

If you love to drive,I would suggest you can go for the Ford Fiesta 1.6S.Its an absolute delight.

It costs around 7.5L OTR in Kolkata and has all the features except climate control.

If you find the Fiesta a bit cramped,you can buy the SX4.I just booked it yesterday and I think its quite nice to drive and is VFM.
FE is around 11-12kmpl as per the SX4 owners in team-bhp(I did consult them before taking a decision).

The SX4 diesel is only going to come mid of next yr and is most probably coming with the 1.9l engine.
joy_swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2009, 23:45   #17
BHPian

hey new cool gadgets..you could look at the fiesta diesel sxi...a very good caar with excellent pick up..but with a slightly bigger budget you could look into the next segment where luxury reins supreme..
manjith_pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2009, 00:19   #18
BHPian

just my opinion - If i had the 10L budget, and was looking for a diesel car, i would go for the optra magnum, i test drove the car sometime back and it is pure madness.with 120bhp with a 2.0 l engine it has Great response, better than any other diesel car i have driven.
amith.2974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2009, 00:30   #19
BHPian

My two cents on Linea with Emotion pack with Pete's Box it would churn out 100+ bhp. Moreover it is the latest car as compared to Optra and Verna with all goddies and safety features thrown in.
As for tuning boxes, its hardly a 10 mins job to do it, without cutting any wires or any other hassles.
Turbo Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2009, 00:33   #20
BHPian

My choice:

Verna D: if you want a good ***, and peace of mind
Linea E+: if you want the best over all pakage (<100 figure ofcourse)
Optra Magnum: if you can strech a bit (for higher version)
Fiesta D: the most economical diesel in your budget

There are lots of threads on team bhp for SX4 1.6 D & Linea 1.6 D. So, if you can wait for sometime than you can think of these really wonderful cars, or else, go for the prefered option from above list.
loving_alaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2009, 06:28   #21
BHPian

I have driven the Fiesta 1.6 S (Aquarius blue, only one in Nagpur) for over 100 kms, and although it is a fantastic drivers car, the fuel economy (when driven even a little enthusiastically) drops below 10 kmpl and that scares me off. The lower price of the Fiesta 1.6 S still does not make it viable as compared to a Diesel.

I do not like the Aveo and Indigo, as they do not meet my criteria of power and frills. As you know I want an upgrade, and am looking for power as well as luxury features. The Mitsubishi Cedia has absolutely bad a.s.s in Nagpur and is not a viable option. Again it is a petrol and not very economical for me.

So that leaves the Verna CRDi and Optra Magnum in the competition. The fully loaded Verna CRDi SX costs 8.99 lakh OTR, whereas the mid-level Optra 2.0 LS without ABS, will cost 10.20 lakh OTR.

Is the handling of the Verna that bad? Even at speeds below 100 kmph? Any Verna owners here who can throw light on the city roads behavior of the car? I usually drive below 70 kmph; 50 kmph mostly, as the roads in Nagpur do not safely allow any more. And what with all the traffic signals at every square, I do not get the opportunity to rip my Zen even. I rarely drive on highways and all I am looking for is power enough to be able to overtake anyone on the city roads, and frills like Climate Control, CD/MP3 player, Alloys, ABS.

I feel the Verna is the only car that meets most of my criteria. The top end Optra Magnum 2.0 LT beats the Verna CRDi SX in all respects, but it is almost 1.5 lakh more expensive than the Verna. And as far as I know, it is not as fuel efficient as the Verna. What is the Optra's fuel economy? Another very important factor for me to consider is that my garage shed is only 14 feet long. The Verna is just about 14.1 feet, whereas the Optra is a huge 14.9 feet long, so it will be a problem to park in the limited space that I have. So what I really looking for now is some encouragement to make the decision in favor of the Verna, OR, if it is really a bad buy, a pointer in the right direction.
newcoolgadgets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2009, 08:27   #22
Senior - BHPian

As you have reightly said, the only options that you have in order of my preference are:
  1. Verna
  2. Optra Magnum
  3. Fiesta TDCi
Cheers
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2009, 10:43   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcoolgadgets View Post
Is the handling of the Verna that bad? Even at speeds below 100 kmph? Any Verna owners here who can throw light on the city roads behavior of the car? I usually drive below 70 kmph; 50 kmph mostly, as the roads in Nagpur do not safely allow any more. And what with all the traffic signals at every square, I do not get the opportunity to rip my Zen even. I rarely drive on highways and all I am looking for is power enough to be able to overtake anyone on the city roads, and frills like Climate Control, CD/MP3 player, Alloys, ABS.
not that bad esp kept below 100 i guess. but watch out for slightly bumpy ride. take a test ride.
kutlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2009, 10:55   #24
BHPian

There are many Verna reviews, esp a recent one on a Verna CRDi AT. You can check them out
rageshgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2009, 11:39   #25
Senior - BHPian

What i have heard is that optra give 15+ in the city nd 19+ on highway with a/c on all the time

Last edited by manikjeet : 24th August 2009 at 11:41.
manikjeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2009, 11:43   #26
BHPian

for me optra magnum with a pete's tuning box,you'd be unstopable on the road, that is ofcourse assuming you are looking for a very powerful machine. but the high end variant may go a bit above 10L
amith.2974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2009, 11:52   #27
Senior - BHPian

The Optra is definitely more a drivers car than the Verna.

The Verna I hear at higher speeds is not very stable.
IronWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2009, 11:54   #28
BHPian

I don't know if you are open to secondhand cars, but there are some very good Hyundia Elantra's available in the used car market, and the diesel engine in the Elantra is a gem. I was getting one with 20k on the odo, 2005 make, for 3.5 lakhs.
musicmanaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2009, 22:13   #29
Senior - BHPian

Please, for your own and your family's safety, do not buy the Optra without ABS. The ABS version also comes with all wheel discs I believe. They are worth their weight in gold, considering how it is a powerful and heavy car. You really don't want to skip on ABS on the Magnum.
ImmortalZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2009, 22:55   #30
Senior - BHPian

100bhp diesel sedan today means Verna. But like many have said, it's not designed for the enthusiastic driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcoolgadgets View Post
GTO, the Optra Magnum 2.0 Max looks very enticing to the driver in me, but the lowest end version which is in my budget does not even have ABS, Airbags, Alloy Wheels, or a stereo.
Can you stretch your budge for the highest spec one? How much extra would you have to put in or how much would it add to your EMI's?

Quote:
Can the Linea Diesel engine put out 100+ BHP with the Tuning box?
102bhp.

Quote:
Is a tuning box specifically made for the Linea available in the market?
Yes.

Quote:
Does it improve the torque too?
220Nm.

For more details go through Pete's official site.
amit is offline   Reply With Quote