Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 25th September 2009, 17:32   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Please show me the way....

My yearly average running would be approximately around 15000 kms. Iam not very keen about the vehicle fuel type, but a slight favor towards Diesel. I prefer to have my next car a sedan with safety features like Airbag/ABS. My preference of manufacturer would be Toyota/Honda/Maruti & others... though Iam sure the first two does not offer anything fresh which falls under my budget, which is Rs.6-7L. I am even okay for second hand cars, but higher band of vehicles should not end me up with high running expenses (maintenance), which Iam very particular about (that stands true for both first and second hand purchase). But problem with second hand is that you need to wait for the right one, so might take lots of time. Currently I drive Swift (petrol) & it should atleast match the pleasure that Swift offers on both city and highway drives

Ganesan: Thanks for pointing it out.. Edited

Last edited by Surprise : 25th September 2009 at 17:43.
Surprise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2009, 17:37   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
My monthly average running would be approximately around 15000 kms.
Do you really mean this or is it a typo? I thought even cabs can't cover this much in a month.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2009, 22:47   #3
Senior - BHPian

Gansan - Looks like he corrected his typo - it is yearly.

Surprise - You should go for a diesel. Although 6-7 Lacs will not get you a new sedan with all those desired features you however have options.

Honda is ruled out because it will be out of your budget and secondly they have no diesel offerings. Same with Toyota ( except the Innova ).

So you have the option of good old Maruti & Hyundai.

Maruti - Ritz Diesel ( Top End Variant ), Dezire ( if you can digest the looks )

Hyundai - Verna Diesel ( Base Variant ) - should be nearly 8.5 Lacs OTR, finding a second hand will be a tough one.

Hyundai i20 CRDi - This will be close to 7.5 L suppose, do not know what Chennai taxes are like.

I'd personally suggest the FORD IKON Diesel which should be around 6.25 lacs OTR. This will fit your budget well. If you want to spend more then the next best bet would be base diesel variant of Fiesta ( expenisve though ! ). Both are good sedans and will give you good service / trouble free running.

Last edited by vkochar : 25th September 2009 at 22:48.
vkochar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2009, 23:08   #4
BHPian

If i were you then my options for a new diesel sedan would have been:-
1. Dezire (VFM)
2. Ikon (proven engine)

Used car prefernces would have been
1. Cedia (i know it is petrol but well within your budget)
2. Fiesta 1.6 Petrol (you are getting 2007 models for 4.5 lacs)

I would not suggest a used diesel sedan.
Torque123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2009, 08:20   #5
BHPian

Surprise, unless you have a virulent dislike for all products Fiat, I would suggest a Linea 1.4 , as you said fuel type is not a big consideration. Linea 1.4 E+ Chennai ex showroom price is Rs. 727671. If that is not to your liking, Dzire is the next best bet with your budget constraint.
NutsNBolts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2009, 08:37   #6
Senior - BHPian

You have hatchs and sedans also.
Sedans :
1) Swift Dzire
2) Ikon
3) Indigo
4) Logan

Hatchbacks :
1) Ritz
2) Swift
3) I20 ( but will cross your budget )
4) Indica Vista
5) Punto

I would recommend you either Dzire or Ikon from sedans. Ikon offers one of the best ride and handling at that price point, though its very dated. Out of hatchbacks, I think you have swift, so you are familiar with Swift, but decide between Swift, Ritz and I20.
aaggoswami is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2009, 09:00   #7
BHPian

I also like the Ikon but I can give a Guarantee that no one would want to buy it anymore claiming it's an old car. I have only driven the Petrol Ikon's.

What about something that no one has suggested ? Ambassador ? I am sure that it has to be safer than the Swift any day.

A Second Hand Siena/Petra even an Adventure would be great.

What about an Accent ? I found it to be a Good Overall Vehicle.

I have seen something about Maruti Owners. There Second car is also Maruti. I like the Alto. I think the Wagon R is a really wild ride but I loved it. I also liked the Esteem but the Comfort is not very high.

Last edited by supercars : 26th September 2009 at 09:08. Reason: Forgot to list a Car
supercars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2009, 09:16   #8
Senior - BHPian

A used corolla fits the bill perfectly, although it is not very fun to drive, you will like it better than the swift.
cooldude1988765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2009, 09:44   #9
Senior - BHPian

Linea diesel man. Unless you hate Fiats, this is easily the best deal for you. You do need to slightly stretch your budget though but its well worth it.
McLaren Rulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2009, 10:31   #10
BHPian

Since you are slightly favouring the diesel cars, I would go with Mclaren and say Linea Diesel and yes you would have to slightly stretch your budget,another option would be the i20. (yet again with some budget stretching) You might also be able to get hold of a used verna diesel for that amount.A diesel magnum is also a very good car which you mite get in seconds for your budget. In the petrol brackets, you could get a used Cedia
amith.2974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2009, 17:43   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Petrol : 5 odd lakh rupees will get you a fantastic pre-owned Corolla, a car that's known to run for years at end.

Diesel : Brand new Ritz, Dzire or Linea (depending on budget).
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2009, 18:04   #12
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for those feedbacks. My outer budget is Rs.7L, hence extending beyond is bit difficult. If I really work on that area, maximum I can pump in another Rs.30-50k.

Hyundai Verna Diesel/Hyundai i20 CRDI/Fiat Linea - Does not fall within budget

Ikon- Is there a version in IKON with ABS/Airbag.....But even not really interested because of its age..

Ritz/Swift- Though both models does not offer Airbag..Still the diesel versions with ABS are in consideration with Swift scoring heavily on looks. This option keeps the initial purchase costs lower

USED:

Cedia/Fiesta 1.6/Corolla - On this list, love to have an used Corolla...may be a 2005-2006 range model with around 30-40k on odometer. I have an impression that bigger the car, bigger the maintenance expenses. For complete replacement of suspension, it costs much lesser than Rs.10k for a hatchback like Swift.. what would be expenses if a similar expense for a car like Corolla....

On books, its the Dzire that's striking much. Iam not either attracted to its look nor dead against (like Ritz).

Dual Front airbags/ABS with EBD/Collapsible steering column/Integrated Stereo system/Automatic Climate control/Driver seat height adjustment/Steering height adjustment/Boot space of 400+ liters....
Old 26th September 2009, 20:05   #13
BHPian

If you can tolerate the waiting period, Dzire Zdi is the best option for its VFM, safety features & FE.

Go for Arctic white color, looks great.

Last edited by KITE RUNNER : 26th September 2009 at 20:07.
KITE RUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2009, 00:48   #14
BHPian

Hyundai i20 1.4 Magna Diesel with ABS on Road price in Chennai:

Ex - Showroom price = Rs.6,19,800/-
Insurance = Rs.18,078/-
RTO Charges = Rs.58,000/-
Total On Road Price = Rs.6,95,878/-

If you avail a bank loan, I think the Processing fee will work out to additional 5k. i20 is a good car and I am sure it will suit your budget.
Aarman_008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2009, 16:12   #15
Senior - BHPian

Thank you guys for the replies. Since Dzire ZDI delivery time frame is too long, as they say it takes 5-6 months, I have dropped the idea of new vehicle purchase. None of the other vehicles qualify for one or other reason. There are couple of interesting deals on used market. Will update once I get hold of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
On books, its the Dzire that's striking much. Iam not either attracted to its look nor dead against (like Ritz).

Dual Front airbags/ABS with EBD/Collapsible steering column/Integrated Stereo system/Automatic Climate control/Driver seat height adjustment/Steering height adjustment/Boot space of 400+ liters....