Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 17th October 2009, 17:10   #1
Senior - BHPian

Question Honda City or Fiesta or SX4 or Corolla or Innova?

Hi,

Am here to get the right car for my dad.

My dad is 70 now and he needs a car.He is owning a 1999 santro till date from 2000 July.Santro has done 205000kms with one overhaulins.So he shouldn have problem with Toyotas and Hondas as the engines last long.

Now has asked me to look out for a car which is easy to drive ,park and the entry and exit has to be comfortable including seats.

He likes the NHC (2004-2008) and i suggested innova as the seats are like a chair. He is 6.1 Ft so i thought innova would fit him.

I have listed my choices in the subject,Now you people have to suggest me a good car.The budge is max 4-4.5 L

I live in chennai

Thanks in advance

Joshguy
joshguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2009, 17:30   #2
BHPian

Looking at your budget of 4.5L Max, and the two choices given, NHC is the only sensible choice, as it would be difficult to find a good used Innova in that price range. Further, NHC is far more easier to park than the Innova.
ScorpMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2009, 17:43   #3
BHPian

Hi Joshguy,

Well based on your requirement and budget, I would suggest the following for each of the cars:

Honda City : NHC can fit your budget. Extremely refined engine. But it would be a difficult to find a NHC for 4.5 Lakhs since most pre-owned NHC are sold at obscene rates. As according to carwale listings: minimum is 4.25L - max is 7 lakhs.

Innova is SUVish which would be difficult to handle in chennai traffic. Anyways price band is 6.25 L to 9.25 L

Fiesta: Good car. But check the car with a mechanic before picking it up. Price band is 3.5 L to 7.5 L

Corolla:Good car. Reliable engine. But difficult to find one for 4.5 Lakhs. As per carwale, minimum is 4.9 L and max is 9 L

You can get a Accent (20k-30kms) used car for around 3.5 lakhs which would be a great buy.

This would be an extremely tricky decision to buy a pre-owned car. Your dad is 70, and would need a peace of mind when he is buying a car. This peace of mind is not guaranteed with a preowned car. So the best option would be to find a car which is sparingly used and is just 1-2 years old. Here you can save atleast 1 to 1.5 lakhs and I am sure would give a peace of mind.

I have a few dealers from whom I got my pre-owned i10. I got a good deal for a year old car. If its a Sedan, you can go for either an Accent or a Ford Fiesta which is sparingly used.

PM me in case you need any help on finding a good car for a good rate. Remember in chennai, all these dealers are like hawks who sell their s*** for exorbitant rates.

Regards, arun
MutantX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2009, 18:31   #4
BHPian

Hi , Incase you decide to go for corolla , I got a 2004 H2 corolla , 70,000 kms done for 4.5L (all inclusive) this Feb , should be around 4L mark now , its a very good car and should give you peace of mind as far as maintenance and running are concerned . otherwise , OHC is a lower segment but a very good car (looks subjective) none-the-less .
singh.amrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2009, 19:41   #5
Senior - BHPian

The car will be chauffeured right?

for back seat comfort at that price why not consider tata indica vista? or maybe even a base level manza?

if he's driving himself, nothing beats an auto box i10 for ease in town.

cheers
anekho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2009, 22:38   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Hi,

Am here to get the right car for my dad.

My dad is 70 now and he needs a car.He is owning a 1999 santro till date from 2000 July.Santro has done 205000kms with one overhaulins.So he shouldn have problem with Toyotas and Hondas as the engines last long.

Now has asked me to look out for a car which is easy to drive ,park and the entry and exit has to be comfortable including seats.

He likes the NHC (2004-2008) and i suggested innova as the seats are like a chair. He is 6.1 Ft so i thought innova would fit him.

I have listed my choices in the subject,Now you people have to suggest me a good car.The budge is max 4-4.5 L

I live in chennai

Thanks in advance

Joshguy
For your budget you can get a 2006 ford fiesta 1.6 zxi for 3.5 lakhs, it has got ABS and airbags. I had look at the fiesta before settling in on a baleno.. Let me know if you need help on the fiesta, I have a friend who wants to sell his fiesta & it is in good condition..

Last edited by Mr_Bean : 17th October 2009 at 22:40.
Mr_Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2009, 23:20   #7
BHPian

Taking you budget into account, NHC would be the best fit. Being a Honda, you could drive it without any problems for about 200k.
Innova would have been a better buy considering your father's height and age, but you can hardly find one within your budget. And also the parking would be problem with the Innova.
Ford Fiesta is also good, I mean the entry and exit is better than NHC but again, its a Ford. There might be problems in the long run.
JackSparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2009, 01:31   #8
Team-BHP Support

I would suggest you to check out a used Hyundai Accent, light controls and good visiblity suit your purpose. Good aftersales service, cheaper maintainance and proven reliablity are added benefits.

Even NHC is a very good car that suits your purpose. You might like the Automatic CVT version.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2009, 15:06   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The Fiesta has small interiors & the Hyundai Accent is too slow slung for comfort.

I'd say a used Corolla or an NHC will be best for your Dad. Won't be too difficult finding clean examples in 4.5 lakhs (+ / - 10%)
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2009, 15:15   #10
BHPian

I think Fiesta is your best bet. Its kinda compact compared to Corolla or NHC. Its also easy to throw around in the cities, easy to maneouver, take u turns, ingress and egress also is not a problem. If you get a good deal, you can go for it, else NHC , but you might have to stretch your budget.
rajivn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2009, 15:35   #11
BANNED

I think you should opt for NHC and you can get 2005-6 model 40000 to 50000 Km done for the price you are looking for.
Here in Delhi current resale prices are as below:
Attached Images

jacksons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2009, 12:32   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Fiesta has small interiors & the Hyundai Accent is too slow slung for comfort.

I'd say a used Corolla or an NHC will be best for your Dad. Won't be too difficult finding clean examples in 4.5 lakhs (+ / - 10%)
This is what was exactly going in my mind while i was reading the earlier posts.
Old 19th October 2009, 12:34   #13
Senior - BHPian

I Thank every one of you for the advice,

But why none of them have commented on sx4? also please let me know the variants in the 2003-2005 corollas
Old 19th October 2009, 12:37   #14
BHPian

You will find it hard to find a SX4 for the budget you have. Most Maruthi cars have a very high resale value. Good for the seller but bad for the buyer! (what goes around comes around).

I suggest you look for a Corolla for your budget. I am sure you find many 2003-2005 models for 4 - 4.5. PM me in case you need help to find one.

Thanks, arun
MutantX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2009, 12:38   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
The car will be chauffeured right?

for back seat comfort at that price why not consider tata indica vista? or maybe even a base level manza?

if he's driving himself, nothing beats an auto box i10 for ease in town.

cheers
No ,it will be self driven by dad