Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 28th October 2009, 14:06   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

One reason for favouring the Suzuki stable is the low cost of spares and excellent service in every nook and corner of the land. Also, a huge set of MASSes gives more options at lower cost.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2009, 14:43   #17
BHPian

Dear Folks,

Thanks for all your valuable suggestions.

On the petrol and diesel selection, I did a rough calculation with my usage ( around 12000 km in a year ) and looking to the present Petrol / Diesel price, I think I will break even only after driving around 40000 KM i.e. in roughly 3-4 years. It's purely based on fuel price and I have not considered other factors like
  1. maintenance cost / spare parts cost.
  2. Additional interest for almost 1 Lac ( I will be going for partial finanance)
  3. Resale value of Diesel vs Petrol
Secondly there is lot of R&D going on Hybrid cars which may hit the indian market in next few years. In fact TATA is already on work for a Hybrid Indica. So I think, may be, I will keep the car for say 3-4 years and move on to Hybrid. So diesel may not be a good option..Does it sound a justified proposition ?
Coming back to the airbag option, I went through some websites and some threads in T-BHP (please see the links here)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...efitments.html (Air Bags Refitments) and
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...insurance.html (Are air bags covered by insurance?).

There is a huge cost associated everytime the airbags are required to be replaced. My only concern is the air bags should not fire in case of mild collisions. Otherwise I am fine with it.

Can anybody throw any light on real cases of accidents where the air bags have fired ?

On Cars, I did TD of both Verna CRDi and VTVT. The diesel felt extremely poor in low rpm and at high speed (110) i had a mild vibration feel on the steering like my santro. SO city driving would be tiresome with Verna CRDi. Petrol sounded more refined but even then it lacked the punch which Fiesta has. Personally, I am more inclined towards Fiesta than Verna but a li'l concerned on the A.S.S. and resale value. Any comments ?

SX4 would be a good choice if airbag option is "YES" ? Can any SX4 owner or otherwise comment on the build quality of SX4 ? As usual Maruti and the car body build does not go together.

I can clearly see a thums down for Linea.
DigitalDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2009, 17:50   #18
BHPian

Hi Digital Dragon, I feel Petrol car would make more sense for the distance you drive during a year. Options in hand
1. Fiesta 1.6 - Great car, with lovely engine and dynamics. A** could be little expensive considering it is a Ford and rear legroom is just adequate.
2. Suzuki SX4 - Huge with lots of space and Maruti Suzuki A** backing it. Pretty decent engine and equipments. Not a very rigid body in terms of steel gauge. Maruti Suzuki has not come up with cars built solid, feels flimsy in terms of Steel gauge.
3. Fiat Linea - I read you were talking about toughness of build, this would be the most solid car in terms of build. While people say it is underpowered, a lot of owners in the forums here say it is adequate and in gear driveability is fairly good. Equipment list - best in class. Driveability, riding is great. A** is only picking up and not upto Maruti Suzuki's level for sure. Spare parts are in line with Maruti's and Hyundai.
4. Hyundai Verna VTVT - Somehow the petrol version never picked up in the market. Would'nt recommend it
5. TATA Manza - Best to wait and watch.
6. Ford Fusion - Lovely car with lots of space and the 1.6 litre engine in it too. Beleive spares are pretty costly though. I am not very sure on that. But have driven it, lovely car.
visweshkalambur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2009, 18:21   #19
BHPian

My personal choice considering your requirements, the fiesta diesel is the best, that is all i have to say, you have driven it and the other cars in the same class but found it the best, i will have to say, even though the fusion is a great car but its not a economical buy, as to what i can sense is that fusion might be discontinued, but if not that its spares are pretty expensive considering maruti, hyundai.
abhayshanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2009, 18:28   #20
Senior - BHPian

SX4 is very good car, except the pickup problem and little high engine noise beyond 90. I guess all these problems should have been resolved in recently launched model.

The build quality is definitely not as good as ANHC but then you get everything you need with in your budget

And its a true VFM machine with best service support amongst the lot
Regarding Air bags, I had a very bad accident where another car hit me from back at almost the speed of 80-90, and I was pushed to median, Airbags did not opened. which actually made me worried. What if they do not open when required.

The I go the clarification from MASS that with only front airbags, it activates only at head-on beyond 50 Km or is something hits straight on the front doors.

Honestly you do not look at the price to be paid if it opens, because if it actually opens and saves you life, any price for it is worth, is'nt it?

I suggest first target few sedans, and then do a extensive TD of all. that might help you, then see what fits in your budget and do you really need to stretch your budget
rkbharat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2009, 18:43   #21
BHPian

All right guys.

I think if I summarize and opt for air bags, the option should be in order - SX4, Fiesta, Verna, Linea. For Manza, it's difficlut to comment at this moment unless its on the road. and non-airbags, SX4 removed.

I will take exhaustive TD of all these in next few days and will post my experience.

How about ANHC, if I stretch my budget - the Ground clearnace is too less and also at that price there is no Automatic Climate Control.
Old 28th October 2009, 18:57   #22
Senior - BHPian

@Digital -
In petrol my preferences in following order -
1.- ANHC- Best bet imho for all your stated points. If it permits the budget don't look anywhere else.
2.- Fiesta 1.6S- If you love driving this is the one indeed.
3.- Manza- Not driven yet but if you like space and back seat comfort this is the best VFM option.
4.- Sx4 - The only concern is body built. i dont find maruti cars solidly build and this is not an exception. If you are fine with the build a very good option.
5.- Linea - Petrol engine not as great as ANHC but people who have bought it are fine with it. Good equipment but average plastics. IMO no car in this segment matches the exotic look of Linea.

As for airbags i had also read the 30km thing. Experts may add better.
Also i don't feel if you are wearing the seat belt airbags are necessary(just my opinion).

Edit- Just saw your below post.
ANHC GC is not that much of a prob. I had driven it on harsh roads and its fine. I would suggest do take a TD of it and then make your mind.

Last edited by harry10 : 28th October 2009 at 18:59.
harry10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2009, 19:28   #23
BHPian

Do think about Cedia as well. Surprised to see that none mentioned Cedia in the list anywhere. Its a 2L petrol, the new Sports one has got everything one can ask for as a standard package.
AltoHoncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2009, 19:51   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoHoncho View Post
Do think about Cedia as well. Surprised to see that none mentioned Cedia in the list anywhere. Its a 2L petrol, the new Sports one has got everything one can ask for as a standard package.
Yeah, its a lovely car but over his mentioned budget of 8L stretching to 9L.
I would say go for either the Fiesta or the City, if your heart so desires.
sammyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2009, 20:39   #25
Team-BHP Support

The way I look at it is SX4 vs. rest. If you are really concerned with the running cost or spare cost, then without any second opinion get the SX4 petrol.

If not then you have options. Top of the line is Ford. Fusion is good (I own one), but because of Figo, it may get discontinued. Hence a no-no. Though its an extremely practical vehicle. I have never regretted that decision one bit. Fiesta is the only option here.

Pitted against it would the Honda. Its damn good , but if you are concerned about GC, then yes, you may have issues. But people have learnt to live with it. Based on what you want you can choose between Fiesta S vs City V MT.

Fiat Linea highest end does come loaded with features, but as mentioned previously, you find yourself wanting for more power on the highways. I would not compromise on the Engine. On Manza, I have no comments, waiting to see. Cedia is good, but no opinion on service and longevity.

If you ask my verdict: Based on your budget decide between Fiest S and City V MT.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2009, 23:14   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDragon View Post
Personally, I am more inclined towards Fiesta than Verna but a li'l concerned on the A.S.S. and resale value. Any comments ?
*** for Ford is improving. Plus the fact that the car is sturdy, reliable, and has considerable gaps between servicing schedules.

Resale value for Ford cars is on the lower side. But my favorite rebuttal to that is : 'Sir, decide what you want to do - drive a car/ be chauferred in a car/ sell a car?

If being chauffeured in a car is your objective, leave the Ford pronto.

If you are buying a car only to sell it, then I guess 'resale value' is paramount.

What is never talked about in these forums is 'the value you derive from owning the car'.

Why don't we define some metrics for that term?

Now, coming back to the question of 'resale value' of Ford, I would say that consider the joy you get in driving the vehicle as enough compensation towards 'resale'.

If you are not convinced behind the wheel of a Ford Fiesta, run fastest away from it. Don't bother to do the math of 'resale'.
Archer2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2009, 09:23   #27
Team-BHP Support

Agree there. I have had no issues with Ford service for the past four plus years. I go to the same dealer in Bangalore, from where I got the car. Service has been good. At least nothing to complain as of now. Yes spares are costly. But then tell me which foreign car does not have a costly spare (discounting Maruti and Hyundai).
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2009, 15:46   #28
BHPian

Hmm...all the more confused.

Yes I love to drive, but the city drive 30 kms to-and-fro is no joy, may be i will opt for a chauffeur later.

I got some internal info from one Ford dealer is that in Nov 09, Ford will come out with a limited edition of ZXi version (presently EXi has the lim edition), which means same or more accessories fitted at a lesser cost than the existing ZXi, and it has everything except alloy and airbags. Worth waiting ?

Resale is OK, is not a mjor concern for me. As Archer said, it would have been compensated by the driving pleasure. What matter to me are :

Good driveability, you know those zip-zap things.
Good suspension, I am fade up of santro "Khut sound"
Rear space is not of that much importance, however front leg space is important
I am still confused on the airbags. Guys what would you say ? I have heard lot of such issues in Skoda, it comes out with mild collision. Any experts here ? please guide me friends.

I will not consider Cedia looking to the sheer market presence.
Old 29th October 2009, 16:34   #29
Senior - BHPian

Fiesta-S.That is heck of a machine. It has all the safety features of ABS & Airbags & pleasure to drive.
Its a perfect drivers car.comes around 8L.
SX4:Have a look at new one.With all the features its more VFM.If you worried about resale & expensive parts.This is the one to go.

Regarding the airbags catching fire is not in our hands and are very expensive to replace once it is deployed. There are situations where Airbags were not at deployed.

cheers.
Ramsagar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2009, 16:44   #30
Senior - BHPian

In your Budget, it has to be the Fiesta 1.6 (S or SXI), nothing else will do (Ooops)!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoHoncho View Post
Surprised to see that none mentioned Cedia in the list anywhere.
That's probably because the Cedia will take him into the 10-11 lacs category On-road.
suman is offline   Reply With Quote