Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 29th October 2009, 18:26   #31
BHPian

My choice would be

Sx4 - excellent VFM, good A.S.S network, comparitively cheaper spares, new one comes with new M engine.

Verna - great engine, with good hyundai A.s.s

fiesta - good car, but expensive spares.

Linea - not sure if it fits ur budget

skoda - dont go anywhere close to these guys

Last edited by Rotorhead : 29th October 2009 at 18:38.
Rotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2009, 18:27   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
fiesta - good car, but expensive spares.
Just wondering if you have any backup for this statement or is it based on general perception?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
Sx4 - excellent VFM, good A.S.S network, comparitively cheaper spares, new one comes with new K engine.
It actually comes with a M series engine, not a K.

Last edited by suman : 29th October 2009 at 18:30.
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2009, 18:38   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Just wondering if you have any backup for this statement or is it based on general perception?

Thanks for point it out. regret the typo , corrected now.
Rotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2009, 19:47   #34
Team-BHP Support

I sincerely feel you should take a long hard look at the Manza. With those requirements and your budget in view only a Manza will probably make you laugh all the way to the bank. Wait for our review of this car (should be out in a couple of days) and then decide.
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2009, 21:26   #35
BHPian

Test drive the new SX4 and Fiesta SXI. Both are good cars within your budget.

SX4 has good road presence in my opinion.
prskumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2009, 21:44   #36
BHPian

I never saw performance and ride quality in your desire list. Since you are willing to stretch in the bracket of 8-9 lacs, I would say go for Linea as it is a balance between performance and ride quality, which are implicit requirements in a mid-size sedan category. And Fiat cars are known for its tank like built quality that will take care of your safety requirements plus you can then top it up with ABS and Airbag.

It has got a decent music system that can be souped up later with after market ICE products.

With regard to A.S.S, gone are those days when Maruti dominated the market. FIAT - TATA tie up has significantly boosted the after service part of FIAT cars. This is out of my practical experience. I have owned FIAT right from the TVS era through TATA.
s3va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2009, 22:15   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Sometimes i feel whether these K and M series engines are same as Kappa and Magna engines of Hyundai or not.

I have decided of NOT going ahead with airbag option, after a series of discussions, lot of readings on the web and a serious thought.

Hence SX4 is ruled out now (as I need ABS). Waiting eagerly for the TD report of Manza by GTO.

Last edited by Zappo : 29th October 2009 at 23:34. Reason: Use the edit button to add to your previous post within the first 20 minutes. Merged.
DigitalDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2009, 23:27   #38
BHPian

For me it would be in the order mentioned below:-

1. Fiesta 1.6 S or Zxi Well within your budget and an awesome driver's car. If you go in for Zxi which comes with ABS (no airbags as you dont need them according to your previous post) you will be saving quite a few bucks where in you can squeeze in after market alloys, tyres of your choice and leather seats. The place where you get hit is not service cost. It is the resale value which kills. Courtesy - Ford's unlimited limited editions at a lesser price tag.

2. ANHC - Surely is very good car. Slightly on the higher side price wise. According to me worth the money. Advantages are a straight H badge, Vtec engine, higher fuel effeciency, commands best resale value in the segment.

3. Verna CRDi with ABS - Stonker of an engine, respectable Hyundai service.

4. i20 CRDi Magna or Asta- If boot space is not much of a concern please consider i20 CRDi. Fresh car loaded till the brim with features. Awesome engine. You have the option of turning off the airbags in Asta version though you get it which is one of your need. All 4 disk brakes with ABS.

5. Wait for the Linea 1.4 Tjet. It may be a little over your budget. Advantage in waiting for this car even if you dont want to buy would be to expect discounts or price reduction or added features on the first 3 cars mentioned above.
Torque123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2009, 23:44   #39
BHPian

Default Health is wealth

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDragon View Post
I have decided of NOT going ahead with airbag option, after a series of discussions, lot of readings on the web and a serious thought.
Hi friend please opt for a car with Airbags.People will have different reasons to buy a car without safety features.As a doctor I feel that Airbags along with seat belts help a lot to prevent serious injury to vital organs, even when the speed of the accident is low.

A relatively low velocity hit of the head to the steering can lead to head injury.If the vital organs are injured the prognosis is not good despite expert management.Its worth the extra money.

If you can stretch your budjet go for ANHC.Great car.I have done 9500 km in 7 months.Surprisingly the fuel efficiency seems to be equal to our NHC (2004).It is almost a junior civic.

Please go through my initial impression report.Hope this helps.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...swift-vdi.html (Tale of Two City’s ( NHC and ANHC ) and a DDiS (Swift Vdi))
Mevtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2009, 10:45   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mevtec View Post
Hi friend please opt for a car with Airbags.People will have different reasons to buy a car without safety features.As a doctor I feel that Airbags along with seat belts help a lot to prevent serious injury to vital organs, even when the speed of the accident is low.
Thanks for your suggestion Dr. Mevtec. The reason why i was thinking of discounting airbags is that I have 2 small kids and most of the time one of them always wants to sit in the front. I did go through some airbag safety related documents with children which says either you have the kids on the back or dont use airbags. Thats where my confusion starts. What is your take on this ? I wish there were a switch to engage/disengage.
Old 30th October 2009, 10:48   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque123 View Post
For me it would be in the order mentioned below:-

5. Wait for the Linea 1.4 Tjet. It may be a little over your budget. Advantage in waiting for this car even if you dont want to buy would be to expect discounts or price reduction or added features on the first 3 cars mentioned above.
Thanks Torque. Any idea when the 1.4 Tjet (or Mjet) is expected to hit the indian market ? I heard fiat plans to come with a 1.6 Mjet.
Old 30th October 2009, 11:04   #42
BHPian

In my opinion, if its diesel go for either VERNA or FIESTA and for Petrol don't look further than Honda City.
manish.thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2009, 23:37   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDragon View Post
Thanks for your suggestion Dr. Mevtec. The reason why i was thinking of discounting airbags is that I have 2 small kids and most of the time one of them always wants to sit in the front.
Hi ,I too have a 4 years old (naughty) kid of who wants to sit in the front always.I was also confused.But somehow I have convinced the kid to sit at the back especially on long drives.According to american guidelines, all children under 13 years should ride in the backseat!

It has been found that,airbags hurt young kids but protect older children when they wear seat belts.

Please go through these articles

Airbags Hurt Young Kids But Protect Older Children, New Study Finds - October 30, 2000 -2000 Releases - Press Release Archives - Press Releases - Harvard School of Public Health

CDC - National Child Passenger Safety Week
Mevtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2009, 00:16   #44
Senior - BHPian

Default Airbags are a must!

Whatever you buy, make sure you have airbags - more, the better. No airbags do not inflate when a cyclist hits you or a dog jumps on your bonnet. When someone tells you that his airbags deployed when he was doing only 20 kmph - ask him what he was doing looking at his speedometer instead of the road.

Please wear your seatbelts ALWAYS.

Try and get a car with as many safety features as possible - Airbags (all around), ABS, ESP, etc. you never know which one of them might save you from serious injury one day.

Cheers and happy hunting,

Oh, of the choices mentioned by the others - I would stick to the Linea Emotion+ and the Fiesta S (not SXi).
Ravveendrra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2009, 00:26   #45
BHPian

As someone already suggested in this thread, if you like fiesta why not Fusion.

You'll get Fusion+ Diesel in that price range.
Both Fusion and Fiesta have same platform, with a bit class added into Fiesta. Fusion would be an easier ride in the city for it's high seating and easy handling. If you like the high seating arrangement (I miss my old SUV now), I'd definitely suggest a Fusion Diesel.

And on top it you get ABS but "No airbags".

It'll definitely pull you out of the city into the wilderness of Indian highways.

Last edited by KishoreC : 31st October 2009 at 00:29.
KishoreC is offline   Reply With Quote