Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 5th November 2009, 16:46   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDragon View Post
Hello Veterans,
I am in need of your expert advice in choosing a mid-range sedan; topping to the woe is whether to choose petrol or diesel. Here is my requirement:
  1. Budget - Within 8 L, can stretch upto 9 L at the max
  2. Distance to be covered - On an average 800 Km per month in city (Bangalore) + 2 to 3 long drives in a year - say 1000 Km to-and-fro each trip.
  3. Interior
    1. reasonably spacious with adequate front and rear leg space
    2. Good quality music system
    3. A/C - another problem as I am bit prone to cold at the same time it's difficult to drive without A/C and windows closed. Is it possible to maintain an ambient temperature inside say - 23/24 degree in manually controlled A/C or Automatic Climate Control is mandatory ?
  4. Exterior
    1. Looks is not very important to me.
    2. Reasonably good boot space, around 400 Litre
  5. Safety
    1. ABS is a must
    2. I would opt for stronger body with some protection beams
    3. Quite confused on airbags. Though the airbags are projected in India as premium safety features, I have my own views on this. How true is the information that air bags fire if the vehicle has a frontal collision with a speed of 30+ kmph ? And as far as I have read somewhere, if the airbags fire with driver/passenger seat belt off, this is sure to kill the driver/passenger because of the force with which they open (breaking the neck). Thats the reason I am a bit apprehensive of airbags.
With the above primary requirements, I am left with Fiesta, Verna, Linea and Manza. Please help me choose.
You need ACC as you are prone to cold. Fiest and Manze do not have ACC. You are left with Verna and Linea. Linea is spacious than Verna and more modern looking. Verna looks outdated from inside. All the stuff you have read about the airbags is wrong. Airbags are pretty safe.
achinthg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2009, 14:33   #62
BHPian

There is some news on the Fiesta ZXi Limited now - Per my understanding, the ZXi Limited will have the following extra fitments:

1. Leather Upholestry - the same one which is there in SXi model
2. Wood Finish Console
3. Leather door trims
4. Internal Door opening Lever - Chrome finished

As of now this is only Petrol version in south (Bangalore) and the OTR for petrol is now 7.59 as against 7.54 earlier. There is no news of Diesel. I am sure Diesel would have been introduced in North. They did similar thing in case of EXi Limited - Petrol was introduced in North and Diesel in South. But later both verisons were available everywhere. I expect the diesel would come a month or so later.
DigitalDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2009, 17:04   #63
BHPian

Folks,

I am getting Fiesta ZXi limited petrol at 7.05 L OTR Bangalore, with some corp discount and exchange offer. I have not bargained on the accessories front. I am sure some low valued accessories, I will be able to get free.

Please let me know if this is a good deal.

Kumar Sir - Your expert suggestion please.

Also how about reliability of Fiesta Petrol on a long term basis ?
Thanks in advance.
DigitalDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2009, 22:11   #64
BHPian

The Limited Edition timing is perfect for you. Go for it and keep the cost saving for a nice set of rims. Great Car.
MonkeyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2009, 10:20   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDragon View Post
Quite confused on airbags. Though the airbags are projected in India as premium safety features, I have my own views on this. How true is the information that air bags fire if the vehicle has a frontal collision with a speed of 30+ kmph ? And as far as I have read somewhere, if the airbags fire with driver/passenger seat belt off, this is sure to kill the driver/passenger because of the force with which they open (breaking the neck). Thats the reason I am a bit apprehensive of airbags
DigitalDragon, as your budget is permitting, go for top end Fiesta S or SXI with airbags, even I was in dilemma to go for ZXI without airbags or SXI with airbags, as I have 4 yrs old son and He is adamant to sit in front seat, somehow I convinced him to sit always on back seat (even child lock feature gives more safety on back seat).
Secondly most important, if you are not wearing seat belts, airbags won't get activated, as circuit is not completed to activate airbags (atleast I know this is case with Fiesta and ANHC).
Another parameter which determines airbags activation is severity of frontal collision, it never gets activated in soft frontal collison.
I have recent example (6 months back) of my friend and his uncle on Mumbai - Nashik route, He was driving ANHC and his uncle was on front passenger seat, both were wearing seat belts, on empty stretch he was at 100+ kmph suddenly a truck from wrong side came in front of him and there was big impact between ANHC and Truck, believe me both were scratchless due to seat belt and airbags (yes airbags were activated) and this is the only instance I know personally how He was feeling priceless for seat belts and airbags after that incident.
Recently I had meeting with one of my client from USA, we were traveling in my car, He asked what are the features of car, I told him I opted for airbags, He exclaimed, what ! you don't have mandetory airbags, it should me must in cars not optional.
rajeshvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2009, 10:39   #66

I agree with Pragmites. I too would recommend you to go for Linea as that car has what all you need. Great boot and good driving comfort. A little less ground clearance as compared to fiesta but I still feel its great value for money. The long drives especially is very comfortable and the bumpy roads are cruised smoothly without any problem. (unless there is a big "indian speed breaker").

Where safety is concerned, the car is equipped with Antilock Braking System (ABS) and Electronic Brake force Distribution (EBD). Adding to the this safety features are the air bags for the driver and co-driver, front racked seat belts and Fire Protection System (FPS).

I therefore feel you should consider going for linea emotion pack petrol. The Blue & me is an added item, but that will soon be available in each car.
Khurshedc is offline   Reply With Quote