Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 27th October 2009, 16:48   #1
BHPian

Default Utterly confused in choosing a new Sedan

Hello Veterans,
I am in need of your expert advice in choosing a mid-range sedan; topping to the woe is whether to choose petrol or diesel. Here is my requirement:
  1. Budget - Within 8 L, can stretch upto 9 L at the max
  2. Distance to be covered - On an average 800 Km per month in city (Bangalore) + 2 to 3 long drives in a year - say 1000 Km to-and-fro each trip.
  3. Interior
    1. reasonably spacious with adequate front and rear leg space
    2. Good quality music system
    3. A/C - another problem as I am bit prone to cold at the same time it's difficult to drive without A/C and windows closed. Is it possible to maintain an ambient temperature inside say - 23/24 degree in manually controlled A/C or Automatic Climate Control is mandatory ?
  4. Exterior
    1. Looks is not very important to me.
    2. Reasonably good boot space, around 400 Litre
  5. Safety
    1. ABS is a must
    2. I would opt for stronger body with some protection beams
    3. Quite confused on airbags. Though the airbags are projected in India as premium safety features, I have my own views on this. How true is the information that air bags fire if the vehicle has a frontal collision with a speed of 30+ kmph ? And as far as I have read somewhere, if the airbags fire with driver/passenger seat belt off, this is sure to kill the driver/passenger because of the force with which they open (breaking the neck). Thats the reason I am a bit apprehensive of airbags.
With the above primary requirements, I am left with Fiesta, Verna, Linea and Manza. Please help me choose.
DigitalDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2009, 21:50   #2
Senior - BHPian

Considering your usage of about 8000 kms a year you relly do not need a Diesel unless you want to own a performance sedan like a VERNA CRDi.

I would recommend the Fiesta 1.6 SXi ( Top Variant ). It should cost you just under 8 Lacs OTR in Bangalore. It's an extremely capable and a good vehicle, well loaded and absolute fun to drive.

Forget the Verna Petrol and Linea. Manza I am not sure as I am yet to drive or see it.
vkochar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2009, 21:53   #3
Senior - BHPian

Fiesta S - enough said. The best car in that price range hands down.
reignofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2009, 22:16   #4
Senior - BHPian

1) SX4.
This car was slightly updated recently. I think this car is more spacious than Fiesta. Ride and handling is just a notch below Fiesta.

2) Fiesta.

But you have mentioned that your monthy usage is 800 km per month + 3000 km trips. So it is around 12K kms. I would say look into diesels also. May be fiesta diesel or even Manza.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2009, 23:02   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

What sheer nonsense. 12000 km is diesel territory?!!!

I would anyday suggest a good fast petrol. Drive both back to back to realize the difference - esp in city acceleration, and the turbo lag!
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2009, 23:07   #6
Senior - BHPian

Looking at all you mentioned, I can very safely suggest SX4 Zxi, it will come under you 8 lakh budget and covers for you confusion about Air Bags.

Looks for AT version as well
rkbharat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2009, 00:41   #7
BHPian

My suggestion would be Fiesta ZXI and if you are fine with the macho looks then go in for SX4 ZXI.

Linea petrol you would feel the need for power when you hit the highway, havent tried the manza so cant comment. Verna is a good car but somehow i felt that it was difficult to maintain the demo car on a straight line at high speeds.
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2009, 11:53   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

I am also inclined towards the SX4 now that they have the new K-series engine.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2009, 12:29   #9
BHPian

You can even consider SX4 AT, ex-showroom price of 8.12, on-road will fit if the budget can be stretched little bit.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-brochure.html (New SX4 VVT brochure)
wmanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2009, 13:15   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I am also inclined towards the SX4 now that they have the new K-series engine.
The SX4 VVT does not come with K series motor. Its M16A with VVT. Back in 2007, M16A minus VVT was made available in India. Now they have VVT but this is not K series.
Currently the largest K series motor from Suzuki is 1242 cc K12B and smaller version of the same, K12M, is available in Ritz.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2009, 13:29   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDragon View Post
    1. Quite confused on airbags. Though the airbags are projected in India as premium safety features, I have my own views on this. How true is the information that air bags fire if the vehicle has a frontal collision with a speed of 30+ kmph ? And as far as I have read somewhere, if the airbags fire with driver/passenger seat belt off, this is sure to kill the driver/passenger because of the force with which they open (breaking the neck). Thats the reason I am a bit apprehensive of airbags.
Oh I think I mistook your Airbag point,
So you have two conditions,
1. No Seat Belts and crash at 90/100 and no Airbags
2. No Seat Belt and Crash at 90/100 with Airbags,

In my opinion second case have less chances of fatality.

BUT in anycase why are we talking about no seat belts, that should not be the case at all, airbag or No Airbag

Last edited by rkbharat : 28th October 2009 at 13:31.
rkbharat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2009, 13:36   #12
BHPian

I think he meant a crash in City conditions of 30+ Kmph where in India seat belts are less used and the impact would trigger the airbags which may cause injury instead of crash injury.
manish.thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2009, 13:46   #13
Senior - BHPian

Suggest as follows:

1. SX4 ZXi (if you're ok with Petrol) - because with the running you've put down, I personally would go for a Diesel since it will motivate more of those long distance holidays!
2. Verna Petrol Or Crdi
3. Fiesta Petrol Or Tdci
4. Why not the top-end Dzire?
5. If I were you, I would also consider the Fusion + Tdci which comes with ABS etc even though it is not a sedan.

I'd think twice about the Linea though I love its looks and the fact that they've really loaded it - it is definitely underpowered and I would wait until the Manza has spent atleast around 6 -7 months in the marketplace so that we have enough "live" feedback, before buying it.

Happy Hunting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDragon View Post
Hello Veterans,
I am in need of your expert advice in choosing a mid-range sedan; topping to the woe is whether to choose petrol or diesel. Here is my requirement:
  1. Budget - Within 8 L, can stretch upto 9 L at the max
  2. Distance to be covered - On an average 800 Km per month in city (Bangalore) + 2 to 3 long drives in a year - say 1000 Km to-and-fro each trip.
  3. Interior
    1. reasonably spacious with adequate front and rear leg space
    1. Reasonably good boot space, around 400 Litre
  4. Safety
    1. ABS is a must
    2. I would opt for stronger body with some protection beams
With the above primary requirements, I am left with Fiesta, Verna, Linea and Manza. Please help me choose.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 28th October 2009 at 13:48.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2009, 13:55   #14
BHPian

Hi Looking at your requirements, you can get a Linea Emotion Petrol ( with ACC) below 8L ( 7.6 OTR in Pune) or Linea Emotion Pack ( with ACC and airbags & Blue & Me) for just over 8L. Boot space is great. Strong body. Music system is decent for a stock system, but not outstanding. Great ride and handling. Great front space and adequate rear space.

Have been driving it for the past 2.5 months ( after driving an NHC) and have no regrets on my decision. My driving too is about 700KM per month. It is in no way underpowered.

Last edited by Pragmites : 28th October 2009 at 13:56. Reason: Adding a Point
Pragmites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2009, 13:59   #15
BHPian

Though am inclined to say go for the Linea, go for the Fiesta 1/6. Its sheer driving pleasure and then there's the SX4 which is higher ground clearance is ideal for our roads and ruined highways.
pranava999 is offline   Reply With Quote