Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 9th November 2009, 19:36   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEA View Post
I thought about the scorpio AT. It is a good choice, but i do a lot of uneven roads. Its quite bumpy on those kind of surfaces. So is the Innova.
Completely OT but if you had the budget, Outlander would be just the perfect car for you. I recently test drove one and it had amazing ride on bad surfaces.
hondadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2009, 21:48   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
Completely OT but if you had the budget, Outlander would be just the perfect car for you. I recently test drove one and it had amazing ride on bad surfaces.
His budget seems to be 14 Lacs and Outlander is 24+
Guna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2009, 21:51   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
His budget seems to be 14 Lacs and Outlander is 24+
That is why I qualified my comment with "if you have the budget". Guess, I should have made "if" in big bold letters
hondadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2009, 22:48   #19
BHPian

Quote:

2) Toyota Corolla Altis
I liked the car as an all-rounder and is found it good to drive in the city too with a soft clutch. I would have preferred the AT, but not sure if it will be economical for my use. The HIDs are good, so is the resale value.
I have an Altis Automatic for the last 7 months which has crossed 6000 kms with me. My use has been 25-30% of 'so called' highways and rest in Delhi Noida with 100% AC use in scorching summer of North India. The overall milage shown by the MID so far is 10.6 kmpl. The car has given a faultless (touchwood) service so far with no issues at all. The Auto box is silky smooth and great for city use. I had TD the ANHC Auto also and found Altis gearbox far superior to that. The car is also very very comfortable and is meant for long drives. It also has all the features expected by you.

On highways, MID indicates a FE of 18-20 kmpl between speeds of 85-100. Manual box will provide you about 1 to 1.5 kmpl more overall.

I believe that this car may have the least cost of ownership as it has the least cost of maintenance. Get a copy of 'Toyota service schedule' from your Toyota dealer and you will see very less changes of components / parts. service interval is for 10000 kms or 1 year which ever is lower. Warranty is 3 years / 1 lac kms. Air filter will be changed at 40,000 kms and Fuel filter needs to be changed at 80,000 kms. Toyota service is also rated as one of the best and car is also supposed to be extremely durable.

Keep your service history and you will get very good resale value. Hardly any other car will provide you 3 years / 1 lac kms warranty. So for you it ticks all the right boxes, expect for the diesel economy.
akj53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2009, 00:44   #20
VEA
BHPian

I did a detailed test drive of the City AT and Altis within one hour of each other. here is my observations.

1) City feels more spacious inside. The boot seems to be much larger than the Altis.
2) City seems to have better legroom at the rear, probably because both the front seats are height adjustable and make way for some room at the rear. It also has a better inclined back rest at the rear and better thigh support. In Altis, the front passenger seat is not height adjustable, and hence very uncomfy for me.
3) City feels like a feather. Easily handled and better looking inside out. Altis feels heavy and planted compared to the city. Altis feels better built. The door closes with the satisfactory thud on the Altis. The facia on the City is poor quality and ordinary looking.
4) City belongs to the city, and Altis to the highways. Even the dimensions suggests so. I somehow felt City is not well suited for speeds above 100 kmph. Smaller tyres wont help much.
5) Altis have better brakes (stopping power and initial bite).
6) City doesn't have a cd drive. Will cause problems for someone like me who prefer audio CD format ahead of compressed media. Audio quality is also better in Altis. Both these cars comes with a remote control for the audio system.
7) Reaching the horn is a bit difficult for honda. may be a little awkwardly placed.
8) City's AT is brilliant. Gear changes are not even felt. However using paddle shifts, i felt a delay in gear changes. Or it might need some getting used to.
9) Both the engines are good. City revs very happily, but has a coarse feel at higher rpms. Altis is smooth until the red line. Yes, it cuts off on red line, i checked it personally.
10) Altis has a better ride. suspension noise is suppressed well on the Altis.
11) FE indicator on the City is a joke. Altis has a better trip computer.
12) Altis has lots of storage spaces compared to City.
13) The leather on Altis is poorly stitched. I'm sure i'll get much better leather and craftsmanship on after market fitments.
14) City V AT costs 10.75 lakhs on road and Altis 1.8G (seems to be best variant for me) costs 12.15 lakhs on road in cochin.

I had a look at the Jetta, Laura and Cruze. Jetta and Laura ruled out. I might get a detailed test drive of the cruze next week and will make a final decision. The plastics are hopeless on the cruze. the rear seat reminds me of the ocatavia. Front seats are ok. Chevrolet doesnt seem to have a lot of bookings, but somehow the deliveries are scheduled after 40 days only.
VEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2009, 01:00   #21
VEA
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akj53 View Post
I have an Altis Automatic for the last 7 months which has crossed 6000 kms with me. My use has been 25-30% of 'so called' highways and rest in Delhi Noida with 100% AC use in scorching summer of North India. The overall milage shown by the MID so far is 10.6 kmpl.

On highways, MID indicates a FE of 18-20 kmpl between speeds of 85-100. Manual box will provide you about 1 to 1.5 kmpl more overall.

I believe that this car may have the least cost of ownership as it has the least cost of maintenance. .
Its highly likely i'll end up with the Altis. I have used only diesel cars for quite some time now. But except for the Innova, i have lost big money due to poor resale value. The economy of diesel is a myth except for a Toyota. I find reliability an issue, if i depart from Honda/Toyota. I've had enough of going to workshops with the faulty Hyundais, fords etc. For that reason i'm willing to try petrol this time. But i will need a vehicle returning atleast 12 kmpl on average. I have owned a Qualis and Innova and I remember the peaceful times I've had with those cars
Old 11th November 2009, 11:24   #22

Comment 20 summarizes well the obvious differences between City and Altis. Me too came back with very similar opinion from the test drive.

City: more roomy interiors in spite of being a smaller car and lighter. Good choice for city rides.

Altis: better built (feels more secure when sitting inside) and a better car overall. Better as a highway car. Most of the guys I talked to were very impressed of the brakes.

Engine-to-Engine I rated Honda to be better though if you look at the whole package Altis seemed be a better product overall. But for the nagging issues I posted in an earlier comment, I would have gone for the Altis as well.

So if anybody from this forum can share your experience with Altis so far (whether they also faced/are facing noise issues etc.), it would be great help.
greatcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2009, 13:24   #23
VEA
BHPian

I felt the Honda City to be more prone to rattles later. Would some ANHC owners here share their experiences with the car? The test drive City had a bit of squeaks from the rear, but i guess it was due to the loose tool kit and jack in the boot.
Old 11th November 2009, 13:36   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I felt the Honda City to be more prone to rattles later. Would some ANHC owners here share their experiences with the car? The test drive City had a bit of squeaks from the rear, but i guess it was due to the loose tool kit and jack in the boot.
I have completed close to 15000 kms on ANHC. I have driven on some real bad roads but no sign of any rattling. You may feel that it is prone to rattles because the suspension is slightly harsh.
Old 11th November 2009, 13:41   #25

Guna,

Can you share what is the mileage you see getting in Bangalore? City and Highways?
greatcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2009, 14:38   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatcar View Post
Guna,

Can you share what is the mileage you see getting in Bangalore? City and Highways?
Around 9.5 kmpl in the city and 13.5 kmpl on highways with AC on 100%
Old 11th November 2009, 15:40   #27
VEA
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
I have completed close to 15000 kms on ANHC. I have driven on some real bad roads but no sign of any rattling. You may feel that it is prone to rattles because the suspension is slightly harsh.
Exactly. There is small bit of vibrations felt inside the car. This gives the feeling. Do you own an AT or MT? Do you feel the brakes are adequate at speeds of over 100 kmph? Have you ever scraped the belly on speed breakers?
Old 11th November 2009, 16:06   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I felt the Honda City to be more prone to rattles later. Would some ANHC owners here share their experiences with the car?
Till date i havent faced any rattles. Though i agree with you this car begs for bigger tyres!

Quote:
Do you feel the brakes are adequate at speeds of over 100 kmph? Have you ever scraped the belly on speed breakers?
If i were to answer this question , i found the braking to be very good . GC is an issue without a doubt , i have scrapped few times only with car fully loaded.
karanraheja is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2009, 16:12   #29
Team-BHP Support

I don't know whether it has been suggested in this thread, but how about the sonata transform diesel. It has everything you need, including an excellent rear seat!

Last edited by Eddy : 11th November 2009 at 17:03.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2009, 16:32   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Exactly. There is small bit of vibrations felt inside the car. This gives the feeling. Do you own an AT or MT? Do you feel the brakes are adequate at speeds of over 100 kmph? Have you ever scraped the belly on speed breakers?
I have AT. I feel the brakes are adequate.
I had encountered some tricky situations on the highway and managed to stop/slowdown in time and felt totally in control.
Mild scrapping happens very often. There was one huge speed breaker while gettig out of Bangalore on NH4 and there was no way to cross it without badly scraping it (Got the underbelly checked and there was no damage).