Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 11th November 2009, 16:40   #31
BHPian

having driven a corolla and city, i feel corolla is much better. the anhc GC is so bad.. the front always touches the road humps. corolla is handling is good. we have taken it on a very very bad sakleshpur-subramanya road and it handled very well. i think the city would have hit every single pothole on the road bcos it was like craters.
madhukar_n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2009, 16:52   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I don't know whether it has been suggested in this thread, but how about the skoda transform diesel. It has everything you need, including an excellent rear seat!
Sonata transform diesel ??
cooldude1988765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2009, 18:22   #33
Senior - BHPian

ALtis At should be the choice here. I heard some great discounts are on this month and next month - year end discounts I assume. But heard specially that the AT has some deals.

Check out the dealership in your area.
vkochar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2009, 18:48   #34

I have a Honda City as well as a Altis.

Altis goves me the confidence while negotiating speed breakers. The Brakes are much better than the City. However both are very good cars for citydriving. My Altis is 3 weeks old and currnet mileage in Chennai with full a/c on is around 9.7 as per the onboard computer,

The boot someone mentioned is smaller than City. Actually not much of a differnece , however the Altis is more efficient in boot space.

The brake noise was an issue for the first bacth of Altis and that is not an issue anymore.. I feel that the City seats are more comfortable than the Altis.

Cheers
rameshsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2009, 21:15   #35
VEA
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I don't know whether it has been suggested in this thread, but how about the sonata transform diesel. It has everything you need, including an excellent rear seat!
my dad uses a sonata embera diesel. Its a nice and comfortable car although it scrapes the rear bumper and exhaust tail pipe all the time. I cannot think of a second sonata at home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhukar_n View Post
having driven a corolla and city, i feel corolla is much better. the anhc GC is so bad.. the front always touches the road humps. corolla is handling is good. we have taken it on a very very bad sakleshpur-subramanya road and it handled very well. i think the city would have hit every single pothole on the road bcos it was like craters.
It is a concern for me. 6 months of any year, kerala roads are really bad. GC is a prime concern. The city's boot seemed very deep and low, almost touching the floor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
ALtis At should be the choice here. I heard some great discounts are on this month and next month - year end discounts I assume. But heard specially that the AT has some deals.

Check out the dealership in your area.
I checked. No deals. Just a 40k/ or 4 free services and perhaps a 50% discount on the insurance. Please let me know what these discounts are. I could negotiate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshsar View Post
I have a Honda City as well as a Altis.

Altis goves me the confidence while negotiating speed breakers. The Brakes are much better than the City. However both are very good cars for citydriving. My Altis is 3 weeks old and currnet mileage in Chennai with full a/c on is around 9.7 as per the onboard computer,

The boot someone mentioned is smaller than City. Actually not much of a differnece , however the Altis is more efficient in boot space.

The brake noise was an issue for the first bacth of Altis and that is not an issue anymore.. I feel that the City seats are more comfortable than the Altis.

Cheers
Exactly the right man need here! i'm almost sold on the altis. what is the FE on your city? is it an AT?
VEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2009, 07:31   #36
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEA View Post
I checked. No deals. Just a 40k/ or 4 free services and perhaps a 50% discount on the insurance. Please let me know what these discounts are. I could negotiate.
Bro, My dealer is giving me 100% free insurance on the corolla altis 1.8GL manual, and if I go for corolla, i'll be negotiating for more. perhaps, 15k or some goodies.
thorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2009, 18:01   #37
VEA
BHPian

i will try for 100% free insurance atleast. i have almost decided on the ALtis G. Seems to be the VFM variant here. now the next question is, should i buy it in december or Jan? it will be called a 2010 model if bought in january. anyway it might take upto 25 days for delivery i guess.
Old 20th November 2009, 00:19   #38
BHPian

Free insurance sounds awesome. I would have gone for Altis too if they still had Black color around... but the TVM dealer said they have only the Light colors and Red since they are the ones in demand.
What color did you choose?
jocreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2009, 13:26   #39
VEA
BHPian

There is no free insurance with the Kerala dealers. The reason, the car sells well in kerala. However i am going to book the car with the coimbatore dealer. The car is 2% more expensive in tamil nadu, but i hope it will carry forward the extra value during resale. Besides, They offer good discounts in december as it is year end and they might offer free insurance. I plan for the silver, but it seems it in high demand. I heard from the dealers that there might be a price hike in January. Is it true or just scaring me to book this month itself?
Old 22nd November 2009, 08:42   #40

After a long search, I have zeroed in on the City. Now the choice is between the S and V versions. I was initially thinking will for the V version and some basis extra accessories. But after talking to the dealers, do not see much value in going for the V version.

(i) Door handles: I would consider the body colored to be of premium. Shad body colored and V has Chrome!

(ii) Alloy wheels: Other than looks, is there a real benefit with alloy wheels?

(iii) Fog lamps: I would like to have one (given the headlamps is not that great) ,but Honda charges Rs.23K where as in the market you will get for 5K! Are these two comparable in quality and the 5K one safe? The brand I came across for 5K was Ensue.

(iii) Tweeters: I can do without

(iv) Silver on the door trim: I can do without

(v) AC vent knob silver: I had trouble finding this delta between the S and V.

I am planning to book today and any quick advice would be greatly appreciated.
greatcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2009, 08:50   #41

In terms of accessories, I am planning to go for:

(i) Leather Seats: From Hot Tracks, Bangalore. Nappa range will cost around Rs.38K. Any feedback on the quality?

(ii) Sun Film (3M) + Under-chassis coating: ~7.8K

(iii) Fog lamps: Not sure which one to go for. Honda dealer charges Rs.23K where as outside you will get for Rs.5K. What are the risks with going for the 5K one?

(iv) Reverse parking sensor: Is that really required? Autocop has one for Rs. 3700 and Re Soul for Rs.5000. Are they good? Can I fit from outside and not affect the Honda warranty?
greatcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2009, 15:56   #42
VEA
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatcar View Post
After a long search, I have zeroed in on the City. Now the choice is between the S and V versions. I was initially thinking will for the V version and some basis extra accessories. But after talking to the dealers, do not see much value in going for the V version.

(i) Door handles: I would consider the body colored to be of premium. Shad body colored and V has Chrome!

(ii) Alloy wheels: Other than looks, is there a real benefit with alloy wheels?

(iii) Fog lamps: I would like to have one (given the headlamps is not that great) ,but Honda charges Rs.23K where as in the market you will get for 5K! Are these two comparable in quality and the 5K one safe? The brand I came across for 5K was Ensue.

(iii) Tweeters: I can do without

(iv) Silver on the door trim: I can do without

(v) AC vent knob silver: I had trouble finding this delta between the S and V.

I am planning to book today and any quick advice would be greatly appreciated.
very true. only the alloy wheels and fog lamps will have any value in the list. the door trim is better on S.
Old 22nd November 2009, 21:55   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocreative View Post
Free insurance sounds awesome. I would have gone for Altis too if they still had Black color around... but the TVM dealer said they have only the Light colors and Red since they are the ones in demand.
What color did you choose?
The Altis is still available in Black. Kindly reconfirm with the dealer.
samish_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2009, 10:52   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samish_g View Post
The Altis is still available in Black. Kindly reconfirm with the dealer.
It is. But since they are totally prioritized on selling the cars that are readily available at stock, they almost instinctively push those out rather than even try to check on the Black variant.
2 days back they called me saying the Black MT version is available. I asked them about AT, and they said chances are low that you could get a Black AT (just like they said about any Black variant in the first place)... but ofcourse silver, pearl white and that awkward light blue is available in all models

TBHP also doesnt have very many pics on Black Altis. I saw one purchase thread and some other pics from google. Black does look awesome on the Altis.

I was considering to go for Civic, but the truth is, its just not the right time for Civic, considering its over a 3 yr old style and features and overly priced and would obviously not get even 50% resale value in the next couple of years when you would have cars with even more features. This time, I am listening to my head and sadly not my heart. All good though.
jocreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2009, 10:31   #45
BHPian

Why don't you wait for the Corolla with diesel engine? The Cruze back seats don't have too much legroom. Truth be told, neither does the Corolla. I know you are shying away from yet another Skoda, but the diesel Laura fits you like a T :-)

P.S There are issues with DSG gear boxes, VW in several countries has acknowledged this and I think in the US has started recalls on certain gearboxes (heard via media, not confirmed as I'm not interested in A/T cars).

Last edited by imp! : 9th December 2009 at 10:34.
imp! is offline   Reply With Quote