Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2009, 13:16   #31
BHPian
 
msharma_79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 262
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
I have worked for Tata Motors and my recommendation is "Please stick to Diesel" else say goodbye to Tata
WOW!! Now we are talking, let's here it from the somebody from Tata!!So what made you frame you opinion and what are large problems with Tata petrol, do they secretly import the engine from china?? or have they outsourced the operation there.

Cause being a customer I am pretty happy what was offered to me and at the price it was offered to me.
msharma_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2009, 13:58   #32
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 444
Thanked: 63 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
I have worked for Tata Motors and my recommendation is "Please stick to Diesel" else say goodbye to Tata
Please backup your opinion with some hard facts for a first time budget buyer. If I am looking at an ABS sedan under 6L - Manza Aura ABS is the only option that I have in the petrol segment.
kalpeshc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2009, 15:16   #33
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 605
Thanked: 187 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
I have worked for Tata Motors and my recommendation is "Please stick to Diesel" else say goodbye to Tata
Now you scare me. Why do you say that? Can you illustrate with examples from your service with TATA?
WindRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2009, 09:27   #34
BHPian
 
arunpn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Nagercoil
Posts: 65
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Its not true, how can you tell that those bashing Tata cars have not owned one? I have driven and maintained a V2 150k kms all by myself and i have seen and helped lots of friends and family members maintain Tata cars.

Again the thread is about Petrol vs Diesel variants of Manza. And i dont see anything pro or anti Tata here. Those who have suggested to stay away from Tata petrol have clearly mentioned the resale issue due to bad image of petrol cars.
I know this is off topic but, If resale value is the sole criteria, then look at these figures, the on-road cost of Vista Safire Aura is 4.3 lacs in TN, whereas Swift VXi is 4.9 lacs + 15k for music system i.e. a difference of 75k. You are already paying extra of 75k and add an interest for 5 years. This is the price you pay to get a better resale value, of course there is no doubt that Swift is more peppy, has a better pickup, and has an international image compared to an Indica petrol. But overall like comfort, featurs, co-passengers convenience, seating, leg space etc. Indica scores. Ultimately what I meant to say is that to get a better resale value we are already paying a premium.
arunpn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2009, 14:52   #35
BHPian
 
msharma_79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 262
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunpn View Post
I know this is off topic but, If resale value is the sole criteria, then look at these figures, the on-road cost of Vista Safire Aura is 4.3 lacs in TN, whereas Swift VXi is 4.9 lacs + 15k for music system i.e. a difference of 75k. You are already paying extra of 75k and add an interest for 5 years. This is the price you pay to get a better resale value, of course there is no doubt that Swift is more peppy, has a better pickup, and has an international image compared to an Indica petrol. But overall like comfort, featurs, co-passengers convenience, seating, leg space etc. Indica scores. Ultimately what I meant to say is that to get a better resale value we are already paying a premium.
Exactly..my friend. Now if that does not make sense then I dont know what will. and ofcourse you have larger market to sell your car i.e. other than regular buyers there is huge market for second hand Tata cars including taxiwallahs, and there are plenty of people who seek what TATA has to offer but cant afford the new car.
msharma_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2009, 16:36   #36
Senior - BHPian
 
pramodpk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,011
Thanked: 463 Times
Default

You should go for petrol for 3 reasons.
1. Your monthly running of 900 kms does not justify the additional 1 lakh you pay to buy the diesel car
2. You are concerned about the noise of a diesel car. A diesel car will make more noise than a petrol one. Even though the cabin noise is suppressed by sound deadening material, exterior noise is more
3. Manza petrol comes with a Fiat petrol engine
pramodpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2009, 12:59   #37
BHPian
 
amoghchaphalkar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 554
Thanked: 248 Times
Default

WindRide : I am pretty sure your 900 km/month figure is valid for at best 3 months. Once you get a new car, you will end up churning more miles than you had ever thought you would.

I would say you go for diesel. Don't worry about the NVH. The i20 you are talking about was more of an exception and not the rule.
amoghchaphalkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2009, 11:58   #38
BHPian
 
HIGHNOON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Navi MUMBAI
Posts: 485
Thanked: 56 Times
Default

[quote=arunpn;1601672]I know this is off topic but, If resale value is the

And add to that lower cost of spares for Vista as compared to Swift. And VXI still doesnt have stuff like the rear defogger etc. Maruti very stingy . Before we bought the Safire aura , we did try out the Ritz and swift, Estilo.Maruti is so stingy that they dont even give matting and mudflaps at the dealership level without some serious bargaining.
also the so called waiting period is a gmimmick. We were told a waiting period of 1-1/2 months for ritz & 2 for swift. After playing one dealership against another , both were ready to give the car in 2/3 days. Rascals.....
Add to that the revamped Estilo they were selling without discount.
This infuriated me so much that we dropped the idea of buying a maruti.
The Vista on the other hand was very good deal, the dealership quite enthu and the car looks , feels better value.
My pesonal two bits worth , maruti and value dont go together nothwithstanding the so called better resale.
hyundai gives best quality per dime and Tata best space and specs. Maruti gives more sales just like SRK.
HIGHNOON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2009, 12:11   #39
BHPian
 
HIGHNOON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Navi MUMBAI
Posts: 485
Thanked: 56 Times
Default

[quote=msharma_79;1600315]

I have used a Petrol Indigo for some time. I believe the Tata petrols are highly underrated. They are very smooth and driveable and offer exceptional economy on highway. I have consistently clocked 18kmpl on highway runs on petrol .
They offer great value because of the price and are cheap to maintain and run. What the older generation of tata cars lack is refinement as far as suspension is concerned and are suspect for 'small' niggles , rattles etc.. But that is true for all last generation Tatas.
I personally recommend the tata petrols, if your budget is tight but your family size aint. exceptional value is offered here.
HIGHNOON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2009, 14:06   #40
BHPian
 
rohan_iitr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 992
Thanked: 401 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
...i am a complete newbie to both tbhp and world of 4-wheelers....
When you say that you are a complete newbie to the world of 4-wheelers, I would assume that you have recently learnt driving, or currently taking driving lessons and that you don't have sufficient knowledge about cars. (Don't worry, everyone starts at the same stage)

People here are busy discussing petrol vs diesel and bashing/defending Tata, but noone seems to have understood your requirements. Let me ask you a few questions:

1. Do you really need a sedan, or a hatchback would suffice ?

2. Since you are new to cars, do you feel confident about driving a car this big ?

3. Are you willing to be one of the guinea pigs on which Tata tests their recently launched models ?

4. Do you feel confident that you would be able to handle the notorious Tata A.S.S. (especially for the petrol model, which sells lesser) ?

5. Have you considered buying a pre-owned car to sharpen your driving skills before making a bigger purchase ?

6. Any particular reason for selecting Manza ? Charm of a new model ? Or do you know someone in a Tata company/dealership ?

If you are a first time car buyer/driver, I would suggest that you go with a brand with reputed A.S.S. (Maruti, Hyundai or even Chevrolet)

Rohan,
Bangalore
rohan_iitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2009, 11:25   #41
BHPian
 
msharma_79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 262
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
When you say that you are a complete newbie to the world of 4-wheelers, I would assume that you have recently learnt driving, or currently taking driving lessons and that you don't have sufficient knowledge about cars. (Don't worry, everyone starts at the same stage)

People here are busy discussing petrol vs diesel and bashing/defending Tata, but noone seems to have understood your requirements. Let me ask you a few questions:

1. Do you really need a sedan, or a hatchback would suffice ?

2. Since you are new to cars, do you feel confident about driving a car this big ?

3. Are you willing to be one of the guinea pigs on which Tata tests their recently launched models ?

4. Do you feel confident that you would be able to handle the notorious Tata A.S.S. (especially for the petrol model, which sells lesser) ?

5. Have you considered buying a pre-owned car to sharpen your driving skills before making a bigger purchase ?

6. Any particular reason for selecting Manza ? Charm of a new model ? Or do you know someone in a Tata company/dealership ?

If you are a first time car buyer/driver, I would suggest that you go with a brand with reputed A.S.S. (Maruti, Hyundai or even Chevrolet)

Rohan,
Bangalore
Hi Rohan,

Although your idea is right to help windride in making up his mind but somehow you have also joined the band wagon of Tata bashers.
  1. I checked up your profile you own an I10 Good car congratulation and I assume that you never had any hands on experience of Tata car forget about tata petrol, So I would request you to back up what you say either about car or TASS.
  2. Unlike other car companies tata never had experimental product which failed miserably. Not naming names here.
  3. Manza remains to be a very good VFM vehicle with some excellent features. As far as risk is concerned of getting a bad product..I would suggest you to read a bit more about the car and hopefully it will change your perception.
msharma_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2009, 14:17   #42
BHPian
 
rohan_iitr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 992
Thanked: 401 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by msharma_79 View Post
Hi Rohan,

Although your idea is right to help windride in making up his mind but somehow you have also joined the band wagon of Tata bashers.
  1. I checked up your profile you own an I10 Good car congratulation and I assume that you never had any hands on experience of Tata car forget about tata petrol, So I would request you to back up what you say either about car or TASS.
  2. Unlike other car companies tata never had experimental product which failed miserably. Not naming names here.
  3. Manza remains to be a very good VFM vehicle with some excellent features. As far as risk is concerned of getting a bad product..I would suggest you to read a bit more about the car and hopefully it will change your perception.
I may have sounded like a Tata basher, but that is not the case. In fact, I sincerely admire Tata for launching revolutionary models in the Indian market.

But the fact remains that Tata's quality control and attitude towards customers leaves a lot to be desired.

Tata's cars, especially first generation Indica's are known to have frequent breakdowns and leaks. If I remember correctly, there was time when senior members of the forum did not recommend Tata cars for first time buyers because of this very reason.

The forum has dedicated threads on the niggling issues in Tata cars. Also, most Tata owners on this forum are not satisfied with the T.A.S.S.

I have zero personal experience with Tata cars/dealerships/service centres. Whatever I have written about Tata has been derived from what I have read on this forum.

About Manza, I agree that it is a VFM car. But it is yet to prove itself in the long run.

My personal opinion is that it is not wise to invest your hard earned money in such a new product, especially if you are new to cars. That is why, I have suggested the thread starter to opt for a tried and tested product.

Again, this is just my personal opinion/suggestion. Other people may have different views and they are also welcome.

By the way, where are you WindRide ? Please let us know what you decided.

Rohan,
Bangalore
rohan_iitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2009, 16:38   #43
BHPian
 
msharma_79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 262
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
I may have sounded like a Tata basher, but that is not the case. In fact, I sincerely admire Tata for launching revolutionary models in the Indian market.

But the fact remains that Tata's quality control and attitude towards customers leaves a lot to be desired.

Tata's cars, especially first generation Indica's are known to have frequent breakdowns and leaks. If I remember correctly, there was time when senior members of the forum did not recommend Tata cars for first time buyers because of this very reason.

The forum has dedicated threads on the niggling issues in Tata cars. Also, most Tata owners on this forum are not satisfied with the T.A.S.S.

I have zero personal experience with Tata cars/dealerships/service centres. Whatever I have written about Tata has been derived from what I have read on this forum.

About Manza, I agree that it is a VFM car. But it is yet to prove itself in the long run.

My personal opinion is that it is not wise to invest your hard earned money in such a new product, especially if you are new to cars. That is why, I have suggested the thread starter to opt for a tried and tested product.

Again, this is just my personal opinion/suggestion. Other people may have different views and they are also welcome.

By the way, where are you WindRide ? Please let us know what you decided.

Rohan,
Bangalore
Respect your opinion but sorry to say that's not yours. obviously there are people with bad experience but you have said it yourself that was first generation. it is like if the first apple was bad all the next crops also will be bad for eternity!!

I will share my experience once when i was given a new alternator free of cost by Tata Customer car Incharge due to the failure in time commitment by the dealer. that is a huge monetory cost to pay to keep a customer happy.

Also dont forget the profile of the customer which other companies enjoy is not available with Tata. they have to deal with fleet owners, taxi drivers and people from interriors of the country who are in no way the easiest customer to handle.

Look around while driving back today you will see so many Tata cars around that is because trust behind each buyer even the one who has put in his capital behind the Tata car to run his taxi services and hope to earn his living from ( I am getting misty here, may be the constant Tata bashing getting to me).

Go and test ride a Tata it might change your opinion.


regards
msharma_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2009, 21:51   #44
BHPian
 
HIGHNOON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Navi MUMBAI
Posts: 485
Thanked: 56 Times
Default

During the deluge in Mumbai 2005 , the submerged Tata Cars were refurbished at a cost which was quite lower to most other manufacturer's cars.
Tata offers great deal of space , quite well sorted suspension ( vista ), quite good looking cars ( IMO ) and quite fuel effecient motors, high specs, & also cheap spares. All this is offered at a price which is most times quite lower than smaller hatches offered by the competetion.
Most times spares of tata diesels are cheaper than spares of petrols of other makers. The TASS is overworked but not incompetent. I have seen worse.... Hyundai ones are chors.
Also the suspension is usually better than competetion.
I find it irritating that most reviews comparing the VISTA QJD , PALIO QJD , SWIFT QJD , seem to miss the point that the Tata version is far more driveable than the Palio one and far more comfortable than the the swift.
When it comes to ride /suspension the fiat models are praised which they ought to . And when it comes to performance the Swift is lauded.
So the point that the Tata version which is very good on both fronts and is substantially cheaper to run and own than the other 2 is missed out.
It is usually highlighted that the vista employs very poor quality of power window switches. But is aint mentioned that Tata even bothers to give the customer the power windows in the first place in a same priced varitant as compared to the suzuki one.

Now the the Aqua i believe has a defogger , front power windows , central lock, immobliser , front fog lamps, door mirrors both sides ,HVAC , tilt adjustible steering , fixed lumbar support on front seats over swift at a lower price.

Maruti Suzuki Swift LDi (Diesel) vs Tata Indica Vista Aqua 1.3 Quadrajet | Car Comparisons - CarWale.com

The point is that please take trial of the cars you may interested to Buy . You ll be amazed at what Tata has accomplished now. And Manza is extremely well finished. If you like it do go ahead and take a TD without prejudice ( and someone else's at that )


Maruti Swift LDI ( Thane OTR - 5,12,130 * source.New Cars, Used Cars, Buy Cars, Sell Cars, New Car Prices, Used Car Prices - CarWale.com )
Tata Vista Aqua QJD ( " - 4,94,622
Vista AURA QJD ( " - 5,29,317 )
I20 MAGNA D abs (" - 6,87,194 a premium hatch
Tata Manza ( AURA ABS ) - 6,88,381
MANZA ( AQUA QJD ) - 6,25,929
a premium large sedan
Skoda fabia Ambiente
1.4 PDI- 7,75,589 a premium hatch
i guess that says it all.

And having said all that the 90 bhp petrol safire manza is exceptional value if your running is going to be low.

Last edited by HIGHNOON : 18th December 2009 at 21:58.
HIGHNOON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2009, 22:21   #45
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 115
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
When you say that you are a complete newbie to the world of 4-wheelers, I would assume that you have recently learnt driving, or currently taking driving lessons and that you don't have sufficient knowledge about cars. (Don't worry, everyone starts at the same stage)

People here are busy discussing petrol vs diesel and bashing/defending Tata, but noone seems to have understood your requirements. Let me ask you a few questions:

1. Do you really need a sedan, or a hatchback would suffice ?

2. Since you are new to cars, do you feel confident about driving a car this big ?

3. Are you willing to be one of the guinea pigs on which Tata tests their recently launched models ?

4. Do you feel confident that you would be able to handle the notorious Tata A.S.S. (especially for the petrol model, which sells lesser) ?

5. Have you considered buying a pre-owned car to sharpen your driving skills before making a bigger purchase ?

6. Any particular reason for selecting Manza ? Charm of a new model ? Or do you know someone in a Tata company/dealership ?

If you are a first time car buyer/driver, I would suggest that you go with a brand with reputed A.S.S. (Maruti, Hyundai or even Chevrolet)

Rohan,
Bangalore
Take my case - Proud to say am the first Manza owner on TBHP. Following are the answers for your queries.

1.Yes - Why not. Enough of three wheelers - why cramp back seaters in a hatchback as well as baggage.

2.Am still newbie. Been to 3 weeks of driving classes when I picked up my Manza's keys. Hired a driver for first 2 months who is training both me & wife besides regular driving.

3.Yes willing. Not scared. Rather make my own learned mistakes knowing noting very bad can happen and TBHP is there to help me out anyway.

4.Do enough groundwork and identify right dealer. I did shift from concorde to autofin. Have enough friends owning maruti/hyundai with tales to tell about bad A.S.S from these benchmarks.

5. Pre-owned ?. How many in this forum have taken this route. Go do your own mistakes.

6. How about reviews from gurus on TBHP. Can't think of better reasons?. Hope you are not talking from experience - charm & knowing someone @ the dealership you bought

Indulge yourself in style not in crowd.

Vijay
vjoy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A story of 3 workhorses: 2 Santro's and a Manza, Edit: Santro sold, Manza at 100k+ amit1234singla Long-Term Ownership Reviews 115 10th August 2014 21:53
Tata Manza Recall : Tata to replace anti-roll bar bush Turbo_Charger Technical Stuff 6 5th April 2012 11:21
Manza BS petrol - gear box break down? vjoy3 Technical Stuff 4 4th April 2011 21:43
TATA Manza Petrol ABS and accessories initial review boomboom Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 12 14th April 2010 10:51
Tata Manza 1.3 diesel - First Drive Report. Edit: Pictures added on Page 4. GTO Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 430 29th October 2009 16:22


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:21.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks