Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Closed Thread

Old 25th November 2009, 12:53   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Is this Camry a good buy: Need advice

Hi Guys,

My fathers company is selling this Chaffeur driven Camry as they have bought a new one to replace this.

Please do let me know if this is a good buy.

The details are as under

1. Kalyan (outside Thane) Registered, Manual Transmission.
2. 1,51,000 KMs run
3. 2003 Nov Model
4. Regularly serviced at ASCs
5. The car has Tyres changed at every 40k run
6. Last service done in Sept 09, charges around 30k, getting hold of papers
7. One service done in March 08, cost around 80k, as mentioned above, yet to get hold of papers.
8. The car is maintained well, engine is silent, pick up is good, Noiseless cabin
9. Driven by one driver only for last 6 years to pick up and drop the MD of this company
10. They call it top end model, but I dont know, though it has all power windows, 4 airbags etc etc.

Jobs to be done
1. Rear Left side suspension needs some work
2. Left side mirror is broken, (is kept at that place somehow), I can do without it as well though.

Worries
1. Have heard that the suspension has been overhauled several times. Wonder why is that
2. What all things needs to be checked ? Replaced ? like timing belt, etc

I am a person with limited technical knowledge, please help me on this.

They are floating a tender, we are willing to put upto 5L for this. Please let us know if this is a good buy.

Pics Attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Is this Camry a good buy: Need advice-pb240253.jpg  

Is this Camry a good buy: Need advice-pb240254.jpg  

Is this Camry a good buy: Need advice-pb240255.jpg  

Is this Camry a good buy: Need advice-pb240256.jpg  

Is this Camry a good buy: Need advice-pb240257.jpg  

Is this Camry a good buy: Need advice-pb240258_1.jpg  

Is this Camry a good buy: Need advice-pb240259.jpg  

Is this Camry a good buy: Need advice-pb240260_1.jpg  

Is this Camry a good buy: Need advice-pb240262.jpg  

Last edited by tanwaramit : 25th November 2009 at 12:56.
Old 25th November 2009, 13:03   #2
Team-BHP Support

IMO 5 lacs is too much for that car. it is 6 years old and has run 1.5l kms. i think 4.2-4.3l would be the proper price for it. take a look at used honda accords too.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 25th November 2009 at 13:07.
Old 25th November 2009, 13:15   #3
Senior - BHPian

5 Lakhs is wayyyy too much for this car. Typically this kind of car with much lesser mileage goes for around 3-3.5 Lakhs here, it should be even lesser there.

See, there are no takers for this car simply because of its size and its kmpl. So in a tender, I would not quote more than 2.5 to 3L for this one. 2.5L is a good price to take this car.
Old 25th November 2009, 13:57   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
5 Lakhs is wayyyy too much for this car. Typically this kind of car with much lesser mileage goes for around 3-3.5 Lakhs here, it should be even lesser there.

See, there are no takers for this car simply because of its size and its kmpl. So in a tender, I would not quote more than 2.5 to 3L for this one. 2.5L is a good price to take this car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
IMO 5 lacs is too much for that car. it is 6 years old and has run 1.5l kms. i think 4.2-4.3l would be the proper price for it. take a look at used honda accords too.
Thanks for your comments guys, we are primarily looking at a price of 3.5 L and only if the bid extends we are willing to higher our bid to 4.

We have kept a cap of 5L as beyond that we wont be paying.

So 3.5L is the one we are pushing for.
Old 25th November 2009, 14:08   #5
Senior - BHPian

A friend of mine in August 2009 bought a 2005 camry with 62k on the clock for 6lacs.

For a 2003 model with 151k on the clock, I would pay a maximum of 3.5lac.
I would suggest you stay out of this deal since the car is 151k driven. Though I have seen a camry with 4.5lac on the clock with out an engine overall in UK, in India the driving conditions make the engine work much more harder than normal conditions.

Also, drivers of pick and drop vehicles, even though its camry, doesnt care about the way they drive. The better the machine, the more fun they have ripping it.

Also call a few dealers and say you want to sell your camry and enquire the price, you ll be able to judge the price much better.
Old 25th November 2009, 14:23   #6
Senior - BHPian

5 lacs is way too much as mentioned by everyone.

There are loads of Camry's floating around in the used car market at half the km's on the ODO as you mentioned.

The car looks clean and mantained otherwise.

Why not go to carwale.com and check out a few other camry's to see the price.
Old 25th November 2009, 18:25   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

These cars are good for well over 2 - 3 lakhs kms. However, the difference is in using a car that you have yourself maintained for 1.5 lakhs kms, or buying one from someone else. The latter, and in this case, I simply cannot recommend.

Please look out for other Camrys. There are plenty lower mileage examples available in the 5 - 7 lakh rupee budget.
Old 25th November 2009, 18:41   #8
BHPian

I agree with the others who have posted before me. 5 L is way too high for a 6 year old car even if it is Camry. 3 L should be more ideal considering it has done one and a half L kms IMHO
Old 25th November 2009, 18:56   #9
BHPian

These cars have engines that can last an easy 200K to 250K miles. If there is an audit trail of the maintainence records it would be fine. However whose to say there was no work done by some a local garage for which there is nothing to show for. It is definitely a risk and which in my opinion is not worth taking.
Old 25th November 2009, 19:54   #10
Senior - BHPian

80k for a service?
i think there has been some issues with this one.
apart from that the car looks good from the pics posted. a good detailing job will make this look brand new.

Last edited by vinaydas : 25th November 2009 at 19:56.
Old 26th November 2009, 06:52   #11
Senior - BHPian

I would simply say, stay away from this car as after 151k Km, the maintenance that this vehicle will require is going to drill a big hole in your pocket.

So don't even touch it with a barge pole.

Cheers
Old 26th November 2009, 07:19   #12
Senior - BHPian

Don't buy the car. It will keep giving you headaches. Expensive ones.
Old 26th November 2009, 10:21   #13
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your suggestions. The engine is quite refined and as others have said, it should carry on till 3 Lakh kms easily without any trouble. The thing is that this car is maintained by company for their MD (Japanese Guy) and hence quite well maintained, was only used to pickup and drop him and driven in executive style. Driven by one driver.

Seeing the above, I am feeling that the car will be good, but as pranav and milecruncher say, it will be expensive to maintain, I cant afford 80k annual bills for maintenance. Is a car of generally such usage that costly to maintain ?

I am restricting our budget to 3.5 L for this, thanks to all BHPians for their inputs.

Gaurav: Your idea is good, will try that.

Last edited by tanwaramit : 26th November 2009 at 10:27.
Old 26th November 2009, 10:41   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post

Seeing the above, I am feeling that the car will be good, but as pranav and milecruncher say, it will be expensive to maintain, I cant afford 80k annual bills for maintenance. Is a car of generally such usage that costly to maintain ?
Once a vehicle crosses the 1 Lakh mark in India things keep going wrong, if not with wear and tear, then just with age. As a rule of the thumb be ready to keep aside 10k/month as maintenance.
Old 26th November 2009, 10:56   #15
Senior - BHPian

Myself have driven Camry for over 10 years in middle east, I think you should investigate more about the 'suspension' part of the car, before even deciding to buy the car.
It doesnt matter for how much you buy the car, it matters how much you might end up spending immediately after buying the car. Perhaps, you need to do a thorough check of the suspensions and get all the data/ info of what has been done and what has been changed. Suspensions can be a real nightmare if they had thrown in some spurious parts there.
80K bill seems to be more of work on suspensions. Check it out please.

And in particular this model and the one after, has drum brakes at the rear and disc in front. The drums were always a problem and needed skimming every 3000 kms (Yes, you read it right - every Three Thousand kilometers) along with change of brake pads. And that might also be contributing to the 80K bill.!

Last edited by RajaTaurus : 26th November 2009 at 11:03.
Closed Thread