Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 5th December 2009, 11:09   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
They could have sold a million Cities but it doesn't change the fact the car is terrible ( no offence to any body but after the test drive and the sales experience, I am very very dogmatic in my view of Honda in general and city in particular!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
'They could have sold a million Cities but it doesn't change the fact the car is terrible in my opinion' makes it look better.
@guna, cut him some slack please
The bracketed portion of @imp!'s post clearly indicates that it IS his opinion (IMO!)

@iamlegend, where is Ray street? Mitsu service in Kolkata is ok I hear.

@Kartho, you are right that the normal BSIII pollution levels of these cars would probably meet BSIV norms, but even then cars were modified to 'meet' the new norms when the BSIII cutover happened. I drive a Baleno BSIII and the engine power dropped by 3bhp compared to the BSII version.

@imp, I would probably consider the Cedia too in your position. In Kolkata, the difference between a City V and Cedia Sports is around 60K. (that's 9.6L and 10.2 OTR .. considering discounts). This difference will be almost negligible if the Cedia Spirit is considered. For people who like to drive, IMO, the Cedia is a strong contender. It's also nice that for that price you get a full sat nav touch screen system, momo wheel (it feels wonderful), 5 x Oz alloys, Climate control, 195/15 wheels, wonderful black leather seats, sport pedals blah blah. I liked the City too - pretty practical and fun - but it failed to get the adrenaline going like the Cedia, if you know what I mean !

But yes, if the new Lancer is launched in 2010, I would wait for that.

Last edited by shuvc : 5th December 2009 at 11:10.
shuvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2009, 11:28   #47
BHPian

@ car&me

The A$$ in Bangalore for the Skodas are actually quite good, Vinayak is supposed to be excellent on the after sales front. I have heard from half a dozen people that Tafe is beginning to get their act together (I am still skeptical of this); all the issues with the car seem to be centered around a some select things:

1. DSG failures (does not apply)
2. AC compressor issues (Skoda claims the AC has been changed and I have not come across any of these issues for cars built after 2007)
3. Clutch and flywheel issues - This is the only red herring for what I can tell ( educated guess based on research)

It also appears as though I can get a decent cash discount and tire upgrade (am going to push very hard for this, am sure they will give it to me); so it increasingly looks like this is going to be it, unless the Cedia just wows us :=)

@shuvc

Thanks mate, going to TD the Cedia sometime next week, waiting for scheduling confirmation.

imp!
imp! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2009, 11:33   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandans2005 View Post
opinions are welcome, but only if not confused opinions.

one needs to understand a car engine's design before even talking about power and torque.

so let it be. a vague opinion hardly matters for a car which sells well and has been selling well and will sell well for many years to come.
I don't think my opinion is vague, infact my viewpoints on the the ANHC are actually quite clear and as is apparent reflect the views of atleast a few people on this forum. let me rephrase my view of the city

The car is a good buy at 8 lacs. at 10.5 its not.

As for engine power/torque relationships and understanding the engine, I don't claim to be an expert but I am by way of being an engineer, so I do understand a few things. IMO, AFAIK the car doesn't drive as well as it should with the tech figures that it has. That is all I am saying.

imp!
Old 5th December 2009, 13:09   #49
BHPian

I agree with Imp! AHNC is in the league of Fiesta and Verna but its priced along side Cedia and entry level corolla. IMO Honda has priced it bit higher to provide a premium feel for the brand.

Last edited by Car&me : 5th December 2009 at 13:13.
Car&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2009, 13:17   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car&me View Post
AHNC is in the league of Fiesta and Verna but itnks priced along side Cedia and entry level corolla. Honda has priced it bit higher to provide a premium feel for the brand.
ANHC's power output, dimensions, the interior space and the laggage space are above Fiesta and Verna and are comparable to Cedia. Of course it lacks few equipments (ACC, Sat Nav) the Cedia gives.
Guna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2009, 13:24   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
ANHC's power output, dimensions, the interior space and the laggage space are above Fiesta and Verna and are comparable to Cedia. Of course it lacks few equipments (ACC, Sat Nav) the Cedia gives.
Fiesta is a much better city car because of its gear ratios. I don't really know anything about the Verna petrol, but at this outrageous price, I know for a fact that the Verna diesel is a brilliant car and a better buy, although last I checked it didn't have airbags.

Surprisingly enough, power outputs don't mean much if they don't translate into good figures while driving (IMO)

And compared to the Cedia, I think the City is expensive. The Cedia offers more VFM. Also can some one explain the City suspension system to me? the undercarriage scrapes at virtually half the car breakers around Bangalore.

Last edited by imp! : 5th December 2009 at 13:29.
Old 5th December 2009, 13:45   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
Fiesta is a much better city car because of its gear ratios. I don't really know anything about the Verna petrol, but at this outrageous price, I know for a fact that the Verna diesel is a brilliant car and a better buy, although last I checked it didn't have airbags.

Surprisingly enough, power outputs don't mean much if they don't translate into good figures while driving (IMO)

And compared to the Cedia, I think the City is expensive. The Cedia offers more VFM. Also can some one explain the City suspension system to me? the undercarriage scrapes at virtually half the car breakers around Bangalore.
I think the ford duratec engine if more responsive in low speeds and is more linier in it's power delivery. I agree it feels more seemless at least till mid range. Strength of ANHC engine is in the mid range and top end.

Outputs do translate in to impressive figures (if you go by 0-100, 30-80 in 3rd ear etc) but yes it may not feel as seemless as Fiesta in the real world.

Scrapping is due to the lower GC and softer springs which tends to get compressed if you break vey close while approaching a hump. It is an issue which Honda must hae taken care off but it still can be tackled in most cases.
Guna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2009, 14:45   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I agree with Imp! AHNC is in the league of Fiesta and Verna but its priced along side Cedia and entry level corolla. IMO Honda has priced it bit higher to provide a premium feel for the brand.
Just for the info, agreed ANHC is priced at a premium like any other Honda , but was not Cedia competing against Civic/Corolla when it was launched 3-4 yrs back, but withered away in sales, and so, HM brought down the price considerably to price it slightly higher than ANHC? Its pity though, such a nice car, don't have much takers (except for enthusiats) even at the current price point.. I think, with some good marketing and serious A.S.S, HM can really grab some good sales away from ANHC
iTNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2009, 20:02   #54
BHPian

You are right iTNerd. Cedia was competing with Civic/Corolla category and its still a capable contender there. Cedia is in that league because it matches Civic / Corolla in most parameters and sometimes beat them too (especially Ride & Handling combination). Its got better usable specs(like the goodies you talked about) and still priced lower; this is what makes it a VFM product.

If HM can put even 25% of Marketing effort that Honda or Toyota are doing with their products, this car would certainly be selling appreciable numbers. Classic case of a good product with a wrong salesman.

Last edited by Car&me : 5th December 2009 at 20:04.
Old 5th December 2009, 20:25   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Surprisingly read an ad in todays papers saying Honda is offering a discount of Rs 13000 on the Jazz, Rs 15K on the City and more on the Accord.A big surprise as Honda has been overconfident and very averse to discounts. Maybe they want to boost the sales figures in December.
anjan_c2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2009, 10:13   #56
BHPian

Quote:

ANHC it is ! not AHNC
nandans2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2009, 10:19   #57
BHPian

Default Decision Made :-)

Sorry folks, ever since I've been off work on Saturday, I've been pushing some mean engines, driving TSI's, TDI's, 6 speeds, 5 speeds, DSG's all in the name of trying to arrive at a decision. Confused as I am, I managed to clear a few things up. Laura it certainly is. FE for the petrol is good enough for me, especially considering what the car is capable off. I can expect an average of 10 between highway and city driving, that is okay, even if I put 20K kilometers a year, I don't mind the expense since I absolutely love the petrol engine. My dad loves the feel of the diesel engine, but he is almost sure this is because for the past decade, he has driven only diesel cars. Once he is sure that he can get used to driving an insane petrol car, that is what we are buying ( I think he is pretty darn sure already though :-) );
Skoda is offering 40 grand of the TSI engine, we are trying to get them to throw in a an upgrade to 16" rubber as well (what are the chances of this? )
The colour is now the main bone of contention in our family. Skoda is currently offering (according to the sales rep, although I get the feeling he may not be entirely upto speed on this) Black, White, Lime Green, Capuccino Beige and Silver. We all love Black, but it is too hard to maintain. Lime Green is out, no one really likes it too much. That leaves Capuccino Beige and Silver. Does Skoda also offer Anthracite Grey on the Laura? I think I've seen one or two in Bombay but I may have been mistaken.
Looks like we will be booking the car sometime in the next coupel of days since there is a 2-3 week delivery and we need to take delivery of the car before the end of the month!
Thanks for all your help its been one incredible experience made all the more special due to your interest!

Cheers!
imp!

p.s. This post has been copy posted from the TSI fuel efficiency thread in another section, because it says everything I want to say=)
Old 7th December 2009, 10:52   #58
BHPian

imp!, Laura is an excellent car to drive. Keep us posted about your booking and buying experience. Post us some pictures of your new ride once it lands at your garage. Your ownership articles might change some of our impressions about skoda.

ps: AHNC - ANHC; I am glad some one is serious about my typo and notifying it (in your special way). Thank you.

Last edited by Car&me : 7th December 2009 at 10:56.
Old 7th December 2009, 11:36   #59
BHPian

Does it have to be a sedan only? Innova seems to fit your needs perfectly!
Equus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2009, 11:46   #60
BHPian

@ Car&me Thanks mate !! from what I have been able to tell, with a little dilligence, half the problems in the manual transmissions seem to disappear, now that the AC compressor issue seems to have been fixed.

@ Equus, Already have an Innova :=) want a sedan because they drive really well.