Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 24th January 2009, 10:25   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekaran View Post
Mahesh is better than the best, no words to appreciate his spotless work - infact no words can equate his passion and the labour behind his restoration.
couldnt agree more!! well said!!!
anuj1237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2009, 10:53   #62
Senior - BHPian

To Miyer, Aditya, shekaran and all contessa fans

i am also in the process of buying a contessa but was having second thoughts about picking one up but after seeing your conti's i have made up my mind to buy one.

now about my query(s)
1. should i pick a MPFI one or a normal carb.
2. what should be ideal price for a contessa (i am from N.India)
3. whats the average life of the engine
4. Are the spares easily available
5. and is the car expensive to maintain

i will be using the car once in a while about 100 km in a month so the fe doesn't bother me

and i had asked a denter painter about painting the car he asking 5k as labour and paint would be mine is it ok or should i bargain

thanks in advance

Last edited by manikjeet : 24th January 2009 at 10:56.
manikjeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2009, 12:31   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikjeet View Post
To Miyer, Aditya, shekaran and all contessa fans
Hi Manik...
i am also in the process of buying a contessa but was having second thoughts about picking one up but after seeing your conti's i have made up my mind to buy one.
Great join the club...!!!
now about my query(s)
1. should i pick a MPFI one or a normal carb.
Depends on what you are looking for in the car.. if you are a normal driver just wanting to enjoy the car, then any type should be fine. But you really want to play around with power/milage ect, then you must go for the carburetted version since you can do a lot with little.
2. what should be ideal price for a contessa (i am from N.India)
I am not sure…. it depends entirely on the condition of the car and the owners mindset to sell it for a price. Down south you get cars in the range of 30k to 90k and most of them are in the scrapping condition which means you will have to spend some decent money to get it running and in perfect shape. My car for instance will not be available for that price range even if I decide to sell it.
3. whats the average life of the engine
the petrol lasts for over 3lakhs if driven well and would not like to comment on the diesel block.
4. Are the spares easily available
Spares are available depending on where you live and best is to do a survey of the local market before you make the buying decision.
5. and is the car expensive to maintain
not at all…once you have done the initial refurbishing and spending to make it perfectly roadworthy.. Its a trouble free car and will last you another 10 years with little or no maintenance.

i will be using the car once in a while about 100 km in a month so the fe doesn't bother me
Great...!!!!

and i had asked a denter painter about painting the car he asking 5k as labour and paint would be mine is it ok or should i bargain
Please don’t chase a cheap paint job or painter. If you are looking at a world-class finish then don’t hesitate to spend on the best body works and paints for achieving it.
If you just want it to look good then the charges are fine and you will need about 2/3 litres of NC paint and thinner or 2/3 litres of PU kit including the hardener and reducer depending on the color. Not to forget the surfacer and other bulking paints and material. My body work and paint job costed me well over 75k including the material and I guess it shows.. If you are using metallic base coat then you will need lacquer or a clear coat as topcoat.

thanks in advance
Feel free to write into any time for any assistance on the conti…

Cheers
Mike
Miyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2009, 23:04   #64
BHPian

Miyer, Aditya,
i propose to start a new contessa thread, with all compilations of expert opinions, plus DIY plus minute mechanical details about refurbishing a contessa.

thanks mahesh for the initiation, as i was expecting to do such or not. from february 1st week, teambhp will have one of the best and vast compilations about the indian muscle car - indian mustang - "contessa"

thanks friends for all the support and keep rolling your contis.
only a very few hundreds of contis are now on the road, worth mentioning.
be proud that a contessa - in present automotive scenario, is getting respected as well as appreciative glances from each road user, with eyes popping out in awe.

i wish to say only 2 things about conti's - 1. sheer road presence plus abundant interior space and 2. the isuzu petrol, can make some latest cars eat our dust, in the highways, which is always exhilarating.

cheers.
shekaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2009, 08:50   #65
BHPian

Hey 3 cheers to KS....

Let’s pledge our full support to KS and start a new chapter in the conti ownership space.
I hope all the conti owners are here and listening...hello...will also appreciate if we can get the word around and invite people who are conti owners and not a part of TBHP to join in to make the thread more enriching by sharing their experiences.
cheers
Mike
Old 25th January 2009, 17:38   #66
Team-BHP Support

As promised earlier, here are pictures of the smaller steering and hub.
Attached Thumbnails
Advice Needed on Buying a Contessa 1.8GL ?-100_0601.jpg  

Advice Needed on Buying a Contessa 1.8GL ?-100_0600.jpg  

Advice Needed on Buying a Contessa 1.8GL ?-100_0597.jpg  

Last edited by Aditya : 25th January 2009 at 17:44.
Aditya is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2009, 18:44   #67
BHPian

Hey Adi,
The steering looks really cool and reminds me of the fiat we used to have many years ago with the momo hub and steering in wood finish.
This is absolutely cool....!!!!
Also check out the leg space...there is loads of it for the driver which otherwise is a bit cramped.
cheers
mike
Old 26th January 2009, 15:05   #68
BHPian

Hey Adi,

That's looking great and you got much more leg space out there
?ushk@r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2009, 15:43   #69
BHPian

Leg space is never a problem in a CONTESSA. Infact the car is so spacious that it can easly carry 6 people in it. Like average built 4 in the back and 2 in da front and still no one is feeling uncomfortable just tried it last week.I was even planing to put 2 friend's in the dicky but they were not ready to sit in with the lid closed. Hey adi which hub goes on it. If i'm not wrong i think that a LANCER steering hub is very ideal for it right
hell boy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2009, 16:13   #70
Team-BHP Support

Yes, the Lancer hub is the right one. The car came with a 4 spoke wheel (standard on my GLX model) which was really good. The plastic horn buttons broke about 3 years ago. I couldn't get the same wheel and so, had this one fitted.
I'll say it once again, do not go for a small steering wheel unless your car is equipped with power steering.
Aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2009, 17:54   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
I'll say it once again, do not go for a small steering wheel unless your car is equipped with power steering.
Adi.. what can I do then? I can't sit properly esp when the conti is in the top gear Do I need to make adjustments with the seats?
Old 26th January 2009, 18:05   #72
Team-BHP Support

The 1988 Contessas that my friend had, had really low seats. So fitting in the car wasn't an issue even for his somewhat portly chauffeur. Try getting those seats. Else, fully functional power steering kits are available in Chor Bazaar for Rs. 5000 - 8000.
Aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2009, 14:41   #73
BHPian

Any particular type of seats that I need to look for?

Also, the power steering setup.. wont be available in Ahmd? Any contacts here that you might have that can be of help?
Old 29th January 2009, 16:22   #74
BHPian

Hi All,

Please see below my Conti's pics..

Like I said.. not able to fit in properly

Well.. thinking of giving it for a refurbishment after the rains!

Your inputs are valuable!
Old 29th January 2009, 20:15   #75
BHPian

Hey Pushkar,

The car looks in good shape except for the little rust in the usual places.

Its visible that you have a tight fit in the driver seat and the best way will be to tone down the foam on the seats. if you want a smaller wheel then you need Power Asisted steering, else it will be very difficult.

You can find one in Mumbai in the chor bazar as Adi mentioned.I got 3 Kits,1 for my car plus another 2 contis. 2 of them including mine are running very well.The 3rd one failed with the oil seal popping from the stering box top when we were trying to fit it.

I guess its a good time to start the rebuild and finish before the monsoon starts and you can do a good job on the paint as well in the dry conditions.(Avoid dust while painiting outdoors...by sprinkling water all over the floor before painting...for a sufficient radius around the car). If its a booth then you can do a good job without having to worry of the dust/insects and bur.

Keep us posted of your build progress when you start.
cheers
mike