Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Closed Thread

Old 10th December 2009, 16:30   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Abhi, pardon me for asking a silly question but if you're willing to shell out for the ANHC, then why not the Cedia Sports which is one of the best drivers cars (I'm told) and comes fully loaded with all the equipment you would ever need?
Have bought one off-beat car (opel corsa) before, think I have suffered enough (despite the fact the car itself is great) in terms of A** etc
Which is the reason why Fiat/GM/Ford/Mitsu are not on my list at all... and unless these guys could come up with something mindblowingly better, I'd rather keep away

Making a great car is one thing, keeping the customer happy post the sale is something that Maruti does best ( I have bought 2 Marutis and 1 Hyundai after that first Opel) while Hyundai and Honda are getting there though are some distance away

As for the rest, the less said the better

Quote:
GC not only helps to negotiate the speed breakers in the city but also roads that are not properly laid or maintained. There are lot of such roads which for majority of people are dont drive day in day out. But there are few set of people like me, who go through single lane roads, navigate through half road and half gravel to reach our farms, drive through village roads to reach certain business interests. We dont want a SUV for this, but a car like ANHC or Civic cannot fit the bill there. We need cars like SX4, fusion, innova to do that job. So it depends on what your driving path is on a daily basis. There are lot of such roads and lot of such people. NH and butter smooth roads are only a very small percentage of Indian roads.
Thanks a lot, to be honest, I think I am almost completely tilted in favor of the SX4 ATM
The final call will be taken after the back to back drives on Saturday
BTW I and my colleague will be going together on the car hun trip saturday, his consideration set also includes the SX4 and aNHC though his priorities are very different from mine (and i think he will end up picking the ANHC )

Last edited by abhi182 : 10th December 2009 at 16:38.
Old 10th December 2009, 19:36   #32
BHPian

Lightbulb

With all due respect to the sx4 and maruti for introducing cars to the Indian populace...here are some points worth noting-

1>in ANHC,The handling,cornering and steering preciseness is leagues ahead of the SX4.

2>The power delivery in ANHC ,while not comparable to cedia and civic is far better in the sx4.

3>There is lots of under steer and body roll in the sx4,when cornering at speeds of 100+

4> the cabin design is incredibly refined in the ANHC, not so in the sx4..IMHO

I can say all this comfortably because i have recently done an exhaustive TD of allmost all cars in and around this segment...

My advice- go for the cedia, for absolute driver pleasure

or else,go for the ANHC

or else,if the budget permits why not a skoda laura
Old 10th December 2009, 20:47   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamlegend View Post
2>The power delivery in ANHC ,while not comparable to cedia and civic is far better in the sx4.
"Cedia has a much better performance than ANHC" is nothing but an urban legend.

For starters ANHC has a much better Power output and Power to weight ration than Cedia.

Autocar Sep 2009 has an Mega Track test where Narain Karthikeyan tested many cars on the Irungattukottai Race Track, Sriperumbudur, Chennai. Its a good track with 13 chicanes. Here're the timings for both Cars.

ANHC: 2m 18.05s
Cedia : 2 m 19.95s

So there you are: ANHC is almost 2 seconds faster than Cedia. Welcome to the world of myth busters.

Of-course, I am sure Cedia fans may accuse that Narain is a Honda fanboy

Last edited by SkyWalker : 10th December 2009 at 20:51.
Old 10th December 2009, 20:56   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post

For starters ANHC has a much better Power output and Power to weight ration than Cedia.

Autocar Sep 2009 has an Mega Track test where Narain Karthikeyan tested many cars on the Irungattukottai Race Track, Sriperumbudur, Chennai. Its a good track with 13 chicanes. Here're the timings for both Cars.

So there you are: ANHC is almost 2 seconds faster than Cedia. Welcome to the world of myth busters.

How is it that the time of the Cedia is exactly the same for two consecutive years? I fail to understand that :P. Also do remember that its the same autocar that said Endy has better back seat comfort than a pajero. We know whose interests are being served here. The time for both the years is exactly the same to the 100th of the second. I smell something fishy. Even an F1 car can't be so precise
Old 10th December 2009, 20:59   #35
BHPian

Wow,didn't know that skywalker,but it sure felt (as though cedia was faster than anhc) that way!!!
Old 10th December 2009, 21:05   #36
BHPian

Looks like we digressed thanks to the boy racers

I am no sedate driver by any means, yet I really don't care too much about the power specs and 0-100 timings as long as the engine is not grossly underpowered (e.g the Palio 1.1)
Old 10th December 2009, 21:22   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
How is it that the time of the Cedia is exactly the same for two consecutive years? I fail to understand that :P. Also do remember that its the same autocar that said Endy has better back seat comfort than a pajero.
Perhaps you would like to read the article before commenting? The Cedia timing were carried over from last year. So unless you think the track got smaller or Cedia's performance improves over an year, there's nothing much different.

And yes, as i mentioned before you can always claim Narian K and ACI are biased. You are welcome to conduct your own test and post the results

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamlegend View Post
Wow,didn't know that skywalker,but it sure felt (as though cedia was faster than anhc) that way!!!
You aren't alone. I believed the same too until i read the report. I guess it feels so because Cedia's got a much better lower torque delivery. Its a 2L engine afterall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi182 View Post
Looks like we digressed thanks to the boy racers
sorry about it abhi. lets get back to you. I guess you like SX4 AT - go for it. You should choose the car you like, because in the end its who you will be driving it. SX4 is no slouch either.

Last edited by SkyWalker : 10th December 2009 at 21:24.
Old 10th December 2009, 21:42   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Perhaps you would like to read the article before commenting? The Cedia timing were carried over from last year. So unless you think the track got smaller or Cedia's performance improves over an year, there's nothing much different.
Just in case you didn't know, track temperatures and conditions make a huge difference in grip levels and the times - 2 seconds is nothing if the tests are not done at the same time.

And yes I intend to do my own test next time I get to chennai with better than RE88 tyres.

Anyway all this is beyond the point!
Old 10th December 2009, 21:46   #39
Senior - BHPian

I think the figure might be correct if one factors in the power to weight ratio of the ANHC compared to the heavier Cedia..

ANHC - 1100 kgs | 118 PS @ 6600 RPM | 146 Nm @ 4800
Cedia - 1225 kgs | 115 PS @ 5250 RPM | 175 Nm @ 4250

Better suspension/handling and road manners in the Cedia would definitely at advantage.. also, the stock tyres on the Cedia don't do justice to the suspension setup of the car.. so I think if they test it again, perhaps with fatter rubbers for better traction, the result might be different...just my opinion

Last edited by iTNerd : 10th December 2009 at 21:58.
Old 10th December 2009, 22:01   #40
Senior - BHPian

@RoC : yes, i am very much aware of it and also Heisenberg uncertainty principle applied to common things.

If you want to check last years only SX4 at 2m 20:05 is only milliseconds slower than Cedia and Fiesta eats Cedia for breakfast ( 2 m 17:50s). There nothing much to show Cedia is the best performance car in under 12 L segment.

On the tyres, do remember that NK was testing bone stock. Good luck on the track and let us know your findings.

@iTNerd: check the numbers above, i doubt it. Yes, tyres might make a difference (to both cars) - but tests were done stock only.

@abhi: I sign out - this would *really* be my last post on the subject. Sorry!

Last edited by SkyWalker : 10th December 2009 at 22:05.
Old 10th December 2009, 22:01   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Also do remember that its the same autocar that said Endy has better back seat comfort than a pajero. We know whose interests are being served here. The time for both the years is exactly the same to the 100th of the second. I smell something fishy. Even an F1 car can't be so precise
Basically it's the last year's data for Cedia.

This is what ACI said about the ride quality of Paj vs. Endy "Pajaro has more pliant ride. Endeavour very bumpy over uneven surfaces"
BTW, even in the new car buyer's guide where they highlight each car's strength and weakness, they mention this aspect: Endy has a bumpy ride where as one of Pajaro's strength is the ride quality.

@iTNeard, I do feel that Cedia must have done better given the torque advantage it has.
Even the top speed was 130 kmph as against 138 something (need to cross check this) of ANHC

Narayan says " Cedia feels most out of place here and protests as we extract the maximum fom each lap. The Cedia has the most vague handling of the lot..."

Last edited by Guna : 10th December 2009 at 22:15.
Old 10th December 2009, 22:24   #42
BHPian

On this thread its Sx4 is the choice of the potential buyer. (until now).

ANHC was the contender and we started comparing ANHC outside the scope of this thread. Cedia was brought in and now it has come upto track testing.

I guess its high time we open another thread to find out which of these cars are gives good driving pleasure for a typical drive (40% highway and 60% city). I am talking about the feel at the wheel and the smile that comes on the driver's face. No a**, no pricing war, no Brand image, simple driving pleasure.
we can even add a poll. What say folks?
Old 10th December 2009, 22:34   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
only 34% think their cars dont rattle.
Wrong figures. Check carefully :

only 24% have serious rattle, 41% no rattle, 34%, 1-2 rattle

And btw, those who said "The whole damn car rattles." none of them have SX4 as there car, in there profile, and a very good number of Honda city owners

Last edited by rkbharat : 10th December 2009 at 22:40.
Old 10th December 2009, 22:34   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

You missed the one which smoked all these cars on the track driven by the same Narain!
Old 11th December 2009, 09:01   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
Wrong figures. Check carefully :

only 24% have serious rattle, 41% no rattle, 34%, 1-2 rattle
Sorry dude - but you are wrong. I say again : only 34% said "no rattles". Everyone else said their are rattles - serious or otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
And btw, those who said "The whole damn car rattles." none of them have SX4 as there car, in there profile, and a very good number of Honda city owners
I dont know this part. I would take your word for it.
Closed Thread