Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2009, 02:42   #1
BHPian
 
Heman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 90
Thanked: 0 Times
Default New car suggestion for Dad's Company

Hi All,

My dad's company is in the process of purchasing new cars for its employees. The current plan is to buy 8 Honda Civics -1.8S (13-15L range) & 6 ANHC-V(10-11L range). The reason for going for Honda is that buying 13 cars from the the same company would give much better bargaining power. The time line for buying the cars is the last week of January.

Questions.
1. Are there any other combination of cars in the above price range.
2. Will buying 13 cars from the same dealer give the same bargaining power as buying 6 cars since there is an upper limit of discounts. Since Honda dealers are known to be thrifty in giving discounts.
3. Is the above decision a good decision or can there be a better one.


Now, if the company does stick with the above decision, I am sure 13 cars would give the company a better bargaining power. So was thinking of the list of accessories that can be taken for free from the dealer.

I have made a list (Please note that I got 17 free items with my Alto bought a year back, with the help of you guys. Had the bargaining power since a friend of mine also bough a WagonR with me.)

1. Rubber Matting
2. Mud Flaps
3. Leather Steering Cover
4. Engine Light
5. Filming (VKool or _____ (suggest please) )
6. Neck Rests
7. Mobile Charger- Universal
8. Spot Light/Reading Light
9. Side Strip
10. Bumper Moulding/Protector
11. Air Freshner
12. Body Cover
13. Teflon Coating – (Not recommended, but people do love it)
14. Anti Rust
15. Wooden Panelling wherever needed
16. CD Visor – MGA
17. CD Player (The dealer says that they have a Mitsubishi CD player which is compatible with the stock music system and the only one recommended by Honda)
18. Illuminated side step garnish
19. Reverse Sensor/Camera
20. Choice of Alloy wheel.
21. Front windshield filming
22. Xenon lights
23. Seat Cover

In the ANHC, how is the performance of the Stock music system in playing MP3's and iPOD's.

I think I am asking for too much or is it OK

Personally I felt the Fiat Linea, Maruti SX4 and Ford Fiesta are good competitors to ANHC. Here the price tag is not the factor and only the highest variant of the model will be bought though the Automatic version is a strict no-no.

I was of the opinion that a good alternative can be Toyota Corolla (instead of Honda Civic) and Toyota Innova (instead of ANHC), although I am not sure of a MUV in place of a sedan going down well with the management.

Note: Since Dad is part of the decision making committee, he asked me about my opinion. I might help them buy the car and/or can be a part in bargaining with the dealer.

Kindly give your suggestions and tips.

Last edited by Heman : 21st December 2009 at 02:45.
Heman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2009, 07:58   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
navan49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: CHENNAI
Posts: 998
Thanked: 68 Times
Default

Toyotas are proven cars for the least maitenance for long time. Being it is for the company or corporate purchase it won't be a problem. Try asking for the bargain. If you succeed that willl be nice. Better involve your transport section in charge in decision making. He is the one going to manage the cars day after the day.
navan49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2009, 08:40   #3
BHPian
 
IamSaran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 35
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Toyota or Honda?? How about VW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heman View Post
Hi All,

My dad's company is in the process of purchasing new cars for its employees. The current plan is to buy 8 Honda Civics -1.8S (13-15L range) & 6 ANHC-V(10-11L range). The reason for going for Honda is that buying 13 cars from the the same company would give much better bargaining power. The time line for buying the cars is the last week of January.
.
.
I was of the opinion that a good alternative can be Toyota Corolla (instead of Honda Civic) and Toyota Innova (instead of ANHC), although I am not sure of a MUV in place of a sedan going down well with the management.

Note: Since Dad is part of the decision making committee, he asked me about my opinion. I might help them buy the car and/or can be a part in bargaining with the dealer.

Kindly give your suggestions and tips.
I would also like to throw in VW Jetta into the fray if there is no bargain from the Honda dealers! VW Jetta would be a competitive match to the civic in all aspects except the noise inside the cabin. On the other side, you do get a much better overall package!

As for replacing ANHC with Toyota Innova, I don't think that is a good idea. I say this because the other employees who are going to get the car would be much happier if it was a sedan rather than a UV(in my opinion)!
IamSaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2009, 09:53   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,891
Thanked: 19 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heman View Post
The current plan is to buy 8 Honda Civics -1.8S (13-15L range) & 6 ANHC-V(10-11L range). The reason for going for Honda is that buying 13 cars from the the same company would give much better bargaining power. The time line for buying the cars is the last week of January.
Your dad's company would be a Santa Claus for the dealer and the Sales Consultant at the dealer

The decision to combine all the volumes and buy it from Hinda is a good decision, you can get huge leverage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heman View Post
1. Rubber Matting
You need to ask the dealer to provide it as an free accessory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heman View Post
2. Mud Flaps
Part of the standard free offering in Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heman View Post
3. Leather Steering Cover
You need to buy it as an accessory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heman View Post
4. Engine Light
There is already some light available, i guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heman View Post
5. Filming (VKool or _____ (suggest please) )
Go for the deal with the dealer, ask for this as free accessory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heman View Post
6. Neck Rests
Not necessory, everyone does not like it, leave it to individual owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heman View Post
7. Mobile Charger- Universal
Availabel dime a dozen, leave the decision to individual owners as their phones would be different any way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heman View Post
8. Spot Light/Reading Light
Already a standard light is available, not everyone prefers to read in the car, leave this decision to the individual owners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heman View Post
9. Side Strip
10. Bumper Moulding/Protector
Often spoils the looks of the car, leave the decision to individual owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heman View Post
11. Air Freshner
Generally given free of cost as a compliment by Honda dealers.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Heman View Post
12. Body Cover
If the cars are used everyday, (generally the corporate users indeed use the cars,) then body cover is a wastage, leave the deicsion to individual owners whether they indeed want the body cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heman View Post
13. Teflon Coating (Not recommended, but people do love it)
14. Anti Rust
In a city like mumbai, where rear ending and/or small accidents are common Teflon coating is not recommended, But for Anti Rust coating is a must due to salty weather, generally, you can negotiate it free of cost fromt he dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heman View Post
15. Wooden Panelling wherever needed
16. CD Visor MGA
17. CD Player (The dealer says that they have a Mitsubishi CD player which is compatible with the stock music system and the only one recommended by Honda)
Wooden paneling is not required, CD Player is not a necessity, generally these days people carry music in the Mp3 format and if one buys a 8 GB memory stick, everything can be stored inside and played back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heman View Post
18. Illuminated side step garnish
Negotiate it as a standard accessory with the dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heman View Post
19. Reverse Sensor/Camera
This also can be negotiated as free accessory from the dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heman View Post
20. Choice of Alloy wheel.
V series comes with Alloy wheels, They might have some options for the design, check with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heman View Post
21. Front windshield filming
I understand that this is generally not recommended,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heman View Post
22. Xenon lights
In a city like mumbai, do you really need Xenon lights ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heman View Post
23. Seat Cover
You can leave it to individual owners as everyone's taste is different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heman View Post
In the ANHC, how is the performance of the Stock music system in playing MP3's and iPOD's.
For me Stock system is good enough. Quality of playback or FM radio is very good.
StarVegabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2009, 15:52   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 47,740
Thanked: 89,324 Times
Default

You bet, buying 13 cars from the same brand / showroom will give you amazing leverage. However, since all of these cars are for employees, are they going to be chauffeur-driven? If so, consider the Altis. It has a better backseat compared to the Civic.

Also, I MUST recommend leasing as an option to your Dad. All the cars are going to be company-owned, hence leasing will work out SUBSTANTIALLY cheaper. No down payment + 30% immediate benefit on every monthly check you cut out.

Lease versus Loan Article (ARTICLE: Lease OR Loan? Which EMI is better for you)

P.S. : If you Dad does opt in for leasing (as a previously unconsidered option), he'll be pleased with your advice. Best time to ask him for a Civic right away....and high-revv away into the sunset. A win win if I ever saw one. Dads happy because he saved $$$, employees happy with a better backseat and you are happy with a stonker of a car
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2009, 17:07   #6
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 32
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Do you guys have any openings ? Anything, just to be a part of that classic and elegant civic convoy. ( no , not as a chauffeur)

On a serious note , for such deals Honda and the dealer must give you a royal treatment alongwith the loads of goodies offeres etc.. Anything less than the best should be considered as a felony.
hondafanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2009, 18:05   #7
BHPian
 
Heman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 90
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafanboy View Post
Do you guys have any openings ? Anything, just to be a part of that classic and elegant civic convoy. ( no , not as a chauffeur).
Hehehe, just to add to the Civic Convoy joke. Last time the company had given Balenos to all the (eligible) employees, the registration numbers were all serially numbered and anytime you go into the company parking space, they used to stand in line flaunting their numberplates.
Heman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2009, 18:08   #8
BHPian
 
Heman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 90
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49 View Post
Toyotas are proven cars for the least maitenance for long time. Being it is for the company or corporate purchase it won't be a problem. Try asking for the bargain. If you succeed that willl be nice. Better involve your transport section in charge in decision making. He is the one going to manage the cars day after the day.
As mentioned earlier, the Innova would create a problem since emplyees might not be ready for a substitute of a Sedan in the form of a MUV. But nonetheless, I would still try to convince.


Quote:
Originally Posted by IamSaran View Post
I would also like to throw in VW Jetta into the fray if there is no bargain from the Honda dealers! VW Jetta would be a competitive match to the civic in all aspects except the noise inside the cabin. On the other side, you do get a much better overall package!

As for replacing ANHC with Toyota Innova, I don't think that is a good idea. I say this because the other employees who are going to get the car would be much happier if it was a sedan rather than a UV(in my opinion)!
VW Jetta would also be a good option. Would certainly suggest the same.
Heman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2010, 22:28   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
vigsom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: AUH<->MAA
Posts: 1,722
Thanked: 581 Times
Default

The Civic-ANHC combo would be good - go Japanese for reliability
vigsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2010, 23:50   #10
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Mpower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10,432
Thanked: 1,682 Times
Default

you might save a couple ten thousand.....but is it worth it???

Need some variety man. Imagine 10 people driving the same car. Looks like a school with kids wearing uniform.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2010, 00:21   #11
BHPian
 
akshaymahajan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Delhi
Posts: 482
Thanked: 113 Times
Default

the freebies list is a bit too long. instead of freebies go in for more cash discount, insurance, etc.
BTW from what i have heard maruti gives very tempting discounts on bulk orders of SX4's. Give it a shot.
PS: 8 civics + 6 ANHC's = 13 cars??
haha.. nobody caught that? You almost left one employee car less..
akshaymahajan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2010, 00:43   #12
BHPian
 
akas_chauhan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 595
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

What about Skoda Laura and Octavia. They are better than Honda cars IMHO.
akas_chauhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2010, 01:29   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
Anand123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: trivandrum
Posts: 1,915
Thanked: 2,596 Times
Default

So far, Civic and City are the cars that suit your requirements.
Anand123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2010, 02:27   #14
BHPian
 
Heman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 90
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
The Civic-ANHC combo would be good - go Japanese for reliability
OK. Need more options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
you might save a couple ten thousand.....but is it worth it???

Need some variety man. Imagine 10 people driving the same car. Looks like a school with kids wearing uniform.
I know. But the company thinks that way. If it was in my hands, I would have suggested that give the money to the employees, let them decide the best car suited for them. What say.
Heman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2010, 02:32   #15
BHPian
 
Heman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 90
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaymahajan View Post
the freebies list is a bit too long. instead of freebies go in for more cash discount, insurance, etc.
BTW from what i have heard maruti gives very tempting discounts on bulk orders of SX4's. Give it a shot.
PS: 8 civics + 6 ANHC's = 13 cars??
haha.. nobody caught that? You almost left one employee car less..
Oops. It is actually 7 Civics. So the total is 13.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akas_chauhan View Post
What about Skoda Laura and Octavia. They are better than Honda cars IMHO.
I had thought about it, but after going through the posts here, read some terrible experience by few members with Skoda cars. Respecting your opinion, I think Japanese cars are better than Skoda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anand123 View Post
So far, Civic and City are the cars that suit your requirements.
Well that makes it 2+ members agreeing with my opinion.
Heman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NH-17 Company Owned Company Operated Petrol Pumps (COCO PPs) Venkat Street Experiences 15 20th March 2016 21:33
Hyundai to exit its 'Company Owned & Company Operated' Showroom in New Delhi mints21 Indian Car Dealerships 5 19th May 2015 19:22
New Car Required for Dad: Needs to be VERY Comfortable- EDIT: it's a Honda Accord! samarth.bhatia What Car? 71 23rd July 2012 00:53
Which new car for Dad , budget 4 lakhs,city driven motorpsycho Hatchbacks 38 10th June 2010 15:25


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:17.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks