Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 27th December 2009, 22:30   #31
BHPian

Hi

i had owned a VERNA SX ABS a year back and now with Honda Civic..

to be frank...if you dont mind the brand Honda H to Hyundai H. then i will ask you to go with VERNA..

reasons:

Diesel but less noisy
Power unleased
less service
low costs

the only drawback is NO AIRBAGS...

you need to take a choice!!
deepanonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2009, 22:54   #32
Senior - BHPian

Sathya mine has 4 wheel discs so they have not discontinued it. Guna I have a bias for diesels had stalling with my swift as well although most will agree the swift 1.3 is an esteem transplant so trouque factor is not best suited for swift, but the ANHC can be somewhat slow unless you wind her up and ride clutch a bit. The only Honda engine I found really hot was the old accord 2.4 liter in mannual. Short of the long any japanese engine sub 2 liter does tend to be low tourque high effeciency gutless stalling machines Anil i will put the report out have only driven her 300 km been away on Holiday want to get some more driving done before writing. Not sure if my report is needed as someone else has put one as well. Deep you are spot on and i covered this earlier and the diesel engine is the most silent one I have come accross even the merc, and Toyota's diesel create a racket both insied and out. In cabin noise insulation is absolutley fabulos.

Someone mentioned Hyundai making great AC's i second that. I owned a Santro (99 model) and Accent (02) before and both cars had the best aircon systems I have ever come accross. They have really mastered the art of configuring aircons for india. Still very new to the verna would not like to comment at the expence of sounding biased

Last edited by canonball : 27th December 2009 at 23:12.
canonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2009, 22:55   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Finesse and real feel of owning a hi-tech car (in its class) in almost every respect:Honda City
Economic to own but lacks finesse, practicality aplenty but lacks airbags. Fit'n finish poorer than the Honda: Verna
anjan_c2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2009, 23:20   #34
Senior - BHPian

I noticed the ANHC fit and finish was more glossy and well truned out but on quality and durability front both seem to stalk up equally. Hyndai's have an undertated feel about them ( I always hated some of their looks) but could never really differentiate them on quality and fit finish with Honda a product I have partonised since my first car a 1993 (civic coupe- a honda first - milano red), also owned several Accords in the family in various countries (91/86 etc) appart from high gloss finish and snazzy design asthetics no diff in quality and durablity therefore would defer with you cheers

Last edited by canonball : 27th December 2009 at 23:21.
Old 27th December 2009, 23:57   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
Sathya mine has 4 wheel discs so they have not discontinued it.
Now, this is news for me. The latest that I heard from the Hyundai Sales rep whom I interacted during my TD of the Verna was that they had stopped rear disc brakes since Aug this year. When did you buy your Verna Canonball?

Can someone else pls. confirm whether the rear disc brakes still continue to be offered in the current models of Verna (Verna CRDI SX (ABS), A/T included)?

Vkochar/Sameel/HellStar?
sathya79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2009, 00:36   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post

The Verna is a very good car and a lot of people here on the forum would vouch for it.

I am just trying to make a healthy debate

Regards

That's my intention too vkochar. I'm not biased towards either of the two cars right now. In fact, Verna was my first love since I began my 'car research' from March this year and was looking for a suitable upgrade for my dad's M800. I had literally 'grown up' reading the various ownership reports/debate on Verna specially by HellStar, vkochar, Sameel and few others. I was almost certain that I would be buying Verna. My colleague at office was also a die hard fan of Verna like me. And then, unable to resist the temptation of ANHC, he decided to to a TD. After the TD, while sitting inside the cabin of a brand new ANHC at Dakshin itself he wrote the cheque. He hasn't repented since then. Of course he has couple of concerns wrt to ANHC:

1. Low GC
2. Absence of Auto climate control
3. Petrol (May pinch a bit when you're doing long trips. This is again in comparison to what the fuel bills could've been incase of the Verna).

Apart from these, he is all praise for the city for its class, stability, safety and ofcourse, the looks.

All these circumstances made me to reconsider the ANHC once again (after having shot down initially just because it was petrol and I too honestly thought it was a bit overpriced). I sat in my colleague's ANHC couple of times and the kind of 'classy' feeling you get being there is unmatched with that of the Verna.

But nevertheless decided to do a TD of the Verna (first love you see..). I was mightily impressed with its awesome power and space within the car. But the interiors and dashboard looked too bland for a 10L car. The sales rep also told me that they've stopped the rear disc brakes since Aug this year and were providing engine immobiliser in-lieu. I had thought all 4 disc brakes was some sort of compensation for the absence of airbags in it. Now that also has been withdrawn. Moreover, many of my colleagues are of the impression that when you are spending close to a million bucks on a sedan, then it very well ought to be a Honda or a Toyota., definitely not a Hyundai (No offence to Verna owners, but honestly this is what many people told me). So, ANHC back in the race again.

Just read and enjoyed the ownership thread/travelogues (all 23 pages!) of StarVegaBond. Good one Star!
Old 28th December 2009, 10:43   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sathya mine has 4 wheel discs so they have not discontinued it. Guna I have a bias for diesels had stalling with my swift as well although most will agree the swift 1.3 is an esteem transplant so trouque factor is not best suited for swift, but the ANHC can be somewhat slow unless you wind her up and ride clutch a bit.
Yes, if you are used to the diesel torque which is availale right from the idle rpm, it takes some adjustment to your driving style when you have to drive a petrol.
Guna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2009, 10:45   #38
Senior - BHPian

well, looks like you are going the ANHC way. Congrats and welcome to the club
SkyWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2009, 12:11   #39
Senior - BHPian

sathya i took delivery of mine on 17th December (10 days ago)
Old 28th December 2009, 13:16   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
well, looks like you are going the ANHC way. Congrats and welcome to the club
Well, I haven't come to a final conclusion yet SkyWalker., still waiting for someone to drive the final 'nail' in the coffin!
Old 28th December 2009, 16:08   #41
Senior - BHPian

Sathya I was in the same boat as you put off my purchase decision from Oct 08, kept doing TD's of a very long list (passat/C class/Laura etc) and kept putting off buying in the hope of newer launches! My requirment was very set must be diesel and auto. No real launches slated in the new year (spoke to bosses at autocompanies) in diesel/auto so have gone in for this as I reckon it was most value for money and fitted my requirement. If Fortuner comes in Auto i will replace my Innova with it until then wait
Old 28th December 2009, 16:48   #42
BHPian

Sathya 79,

Am i the one who should do it.
nandans2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2009, 18:13   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Sathya I was in the same boat as you put off my purchase decision from Oct 08, kept doing TD's of a very long list (passat/C class/Laura etc) and kept putting off buying in the hope of newer launches! My requirment was very set must be diesel and auto. No real launches slated in the new year (spoke to bosses at autocompanies) in diesel/auto so have gone in for this as I reckon it was most value for money and fitted my requirement. If Fortuner comes in Auto i will replace my Innova with it until then wait
So, you are completely in favor for Verna CRDI A/T eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandans2005 View Post
Sathya 79,

Am i the one who should do it.
Ha ha., Yes and also on how successfully you are able to hold fort to canonball's feedback on Verna A/T
Old 28th December 2009, 20:49   #44
Senior - BHPian

Hello Mr. software project manager let me introduce a virus into this thread

Cedia Sports or Select, no ground clearance problem @175mm, 4.9 meters turning radius boon in traffic and tight parking spots, almost an automatic in 3rd & 4th gear, 2.0 L, 115 bhp, 17.3 Kgm torque, discs all around on 15" wheels with ABS & EBD, auto a/c, built in navigation in sports model with genuine leather on seats, steering, gear lever knob, handbrake and class apart from both Verna & Honda City yet within 10L. A true drivers car in the price band under consideration.

Have a test drive and let us know how you feel about it.

Last edited by khoj : 28th December 2009 at 20:51.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2009, 21:24   #45
BHPian

Sathya,

Khoj's suggestion makes lot of sense.Why dont you try it ?

But i feel such a nice car is handicapped due to the reasons that 1) Not many dealerships in many cities 2) very low reputation and low resale value 3) low numbers on the road 4) not a favorite really.

Just check it out, you may like it. I think its more than 10 lakhs in Bangalore.
nandans2005 is offline   Reply With Quote