Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 24th December 2009, 03:35   #1
BHPian

Default Verna CRDI SX (ABS) or ANHC (2009) S M/T: Which is the best buy for 10+ lakh INR?

Hyundai Verna CRDI SX (ABS) or All New Honda City (2009) S M/T: Which is the best buy for 10+ lakh INR?

Hi, I work as a proj. mgr for a software company in Bangalore and my daily car usage is around 40+ kms (daily commute from home to office in Electronics city and back). I occasionally plan to take it on highways (say once or twice a month). I currently use my dad's old Maruti 800. I'm planning for a worthy buy (as it would be my first car) in the budget range of 6 to 10.6 lakhs. Kindly suggest me the best buy between Verna diesel, ANHC, Toyota Innova etc. I'm also a little concerned over ANHC's ground clearance., will it be a huge deterrent for an otherwise lovely car? How does Verna diesel measure up to ANHC's prowess? Pls. clarify my queries. Any other advice, suggestions, sharing of live-driving experiences of the above cars will be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
sathya79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2009, 10:42   #2
BHPian

If you would be driving then I suggest you to pick an Automatic, its a boon in BLR's traffic for that small dip in mileage. Both the cars shortlisted offers an AT in your budget, the diesel obviously offers low running cost, expect similar resale 5 yrs down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya79 View Post
Hyundai Verna CRDI SX (ABS) or All New Honda City (2009) S M/T: Which is the best buy for 10+ lakh INR?

Hi, I work as a proj. mgr for a software company in Bangalore and my daily car usage is around 40+ kms (daily commute from home to office in Electronics city and back). I occasionally plan to take it on highways (say once or twice a month). I currently use my dad's old Maruti 800. I'm planning for a worthy buy (as it would be my first car) in the budget range of 6 to 10.6 lakhs. Kindly suggest me the best buy between Verna diesel, ANHC, Toyota Innova etc. I'm also a little concerned over ANHC's ground clearance., will it be a huge deterrent for an otherwise lovely car? How does Verna diesel measure up to ANHC's prowess? Pls. clarify my queries. Any other advice, suggestions, sharing of live-driving experiences of the above cars will be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
AirWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2009, 10:56   #3
Senior - BHPian

If you are considering diesel (which is justified considering the high milage) why not look at Linea as well?
Innova would be a great VFM but the size/bulk may not be ideal for daily drive in the city. If that is not a concern, Innova would be a great choice.
ANHC is petrol but in terms of space and handling, it is considered to be better then Verna. But Verna, with it's softer sprung suspension will offer better ride.

Last edited by Guna : 24th December 2009 at 10:57.
Guna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2009, 11:07   #4
Senior - BHPian

If you are considering Petrol, then ANHC is the best option.
Only Problem with ANHC is ground clearance, need to be cautious always.
Other than GC, there is no car so rounded in terms of Performance, Comfort, Fuel efficiency, including after sales cost and experience.

If your family is 5+ people, then i would recommend you Innova V version with Twin A/C, My ex colleague bought it two weeks ago, it will be available in your budget +/- few thousands. It would be suitable for highway drives as well.

If you are considering Diesel, I would suggest you to look at Linea and Verna. You may wait for the face lifted Linea (hopefully all niggles taken care) some time in Feb/March 2010. Verna is more classical and dated looks, but perceived to have better after sales experience than Linea.
StarVegabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2009, 11:16   #5
BHPian

Before i brought ANHC VAT, I considered same two options but with Auto transmission. Took test drive, found out ANHC AT is much better in city drive than Verna CRDI AT. And i was always a great fan of ANHC looks so went for it.
shamanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2009, 11:18   #6
Senior - BHPian

Took delivery of my Verna Diesel A/T and she is well worth the 9.6L i paid for her. The acceleration, ride, and braking (4 wheel discs with ABS - no car in this price has it) is phenominal (As good as my 01 E220 CDI!). I am not saying this because I bought it but it is really more a sensible purchase than an emmotional one. NHC is an emmotional purchase as it is a good looking car compared to Verna - which i think is completely obsecure, but boy does the verna go and how. The driveline, performance and braking is fantastic the NHC is complete crap the car kept stalling like a typical petrol. I have an Innova as well and she is great but not as great to drive as the verna! but a great car for hauling family though. If you selfdrive the verna is the best, if you want to look good when you drive then NHC, and if you want to make all at home happy then Innova (she does get a little cumbersome to drive after 4 years and 50K) cheers.

Only downside with Verna is no Airbags!!

Last edited by canonball : 24th December 2009 at 11:25.
canonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2009, 11:23   #7
BHPian

If you are looking for a petrol car, it is ANHC in my opinion, except for it's GC issue. Innova would be a good VFM vehicle, but would be a bane in the city traffic if you are driving everyday.
Laxminarayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2009, 12:29   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
The driveline, performance and braking is fantastic the NHC is complete crap the car kept stalling like a typical petrol.
Are you refering to the ANHC or the NHC? Current one is known as ANHC.
Interesting that you managed to stall ANHC several times! No wonder you think it is crap.
Old 24th December 2009, 13:00   #9
Senior - BHPian

In Feb 2009, i was in the same dilemma, you can read my thread here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans...erna-crdi.html (ANHC or Verna CRDI?)

I choose ANHC. My Daily commute was about 20 Kms, yours is double of that. I do not drive more than 12 K Kms per year, usually. I would say if you plan to drive at least 15-20K Kms then probably Verna is better due to diesel efficiency.

Performance - both cars are good. GC of ANHC is not so bad. You just have to be a little careful while handling the nasty speed breakers with full load.
SkyWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2009, 14:35   #10
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya79 View Post

I have test driven the ANHC and currently own verna.( petrol)
Since your running is high, and the traffic that you face on EC road- i will suggest a verna diesel. Only weak point of the car is its ride comfort compared to others when going over speed brakers and bumps. Its a bit more bouncy, other cars absorb the bumps, this one will make u jump a little on your seat if you can get what i mean.
If you can afford the verna A/T diesel you get the BEST of both worlds, automatic and diesel...however note a couple of things about diesel
1. Maintenance costs are higher
2. No extended warranty beyond 3 years i think- so if any expense comes after 3 years, its on you( on parts)
ANHC is over priced- go for Linea if you can adjust to dealing with callous FIAT guys...or : Verna Petrol, SX4.
If you are just willing to spend 10L+, ANHC is a no brainer as it does give the "status" feel and is a great car overall...(except that i feel its little overpriced as i mentioned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
If you are considering diesel (which is justified considering the high milage) why not look at Linea as well?
Innova would be a great VFM but the size/bulk may not be ideal for daily drive in the city. If that is not a concern, Innova would be a great choice.
ANHC is petrol but in terms of space and handling, it is considered to be better then Verna. But Verna, with it's softer sprung suspension will offer better ride.
The verna is NOT a better ride- its a stiff suspension hence the ride is bouncy. The suspension used in that is just a tad better than the Santro ( and this is from the service manager of hyundai where i get my cars done for over 8 years)- that is the WEAKEST part of this car, otherwise nothing glaringly bad in it- its in city ride comfort...wonder what were the hyundai guys thinking about
mkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2009, 15:26   #11
Team-BHP Support

Doing 40+ Km in the city should really need a good ride. From that point of view I would vote for the ANHC. You can choose between M/T and AT as per your budget.

Only issue is soft suspension and low GC.
(Although the soft suspension is the one which gives you the good ride )
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2009, 15:39   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Took delivery of my Verna Diesel A/T and she is well worth the 9.6L i paid for her. The acceleration, ride, and braking (4 wheel discs with ABS - no car in this price has it) is phenominal (As good as my 01 E220 CDI!). I am not saying this because I bought it but it is really more a sensible purchase than an emmotional one. NHC is an emmotional purchase as it is a good looking car compared to Verna - which i think is completely obsecure, but boy does the verna go and how. The driveline, performance and braking is fantastic the NHC is complete crap the car kept stalling like a typical petrol. I have an Innova as well and she is great but not as great to drive as the verna! but a great car for hauling family though. If you selfdrive the verna is the best, if you want to look good when you drive then NHC, and if you want to make all at home happy then Innova (she does get a little cumbersome to drive after 4 years and 50K) cheers.

Only downside with Verna is no Airbags!!
dude where's your initial ownership report? put it up, F.A.S.T. Man, i have been trying to convince Dad to get the Verna AT, as it will be self-driven and after owning the i10 AT for 6 months, am hooked on to Automatics, especially with the horrendous bumper-to-bumper traffic, more so during my daily travel from Saki Naka to Bandra West. have this persistant ankle & knee pain because of the Logan's hard clutch.

@sathya
Please get an Automatic, trust me, you will never regret your decision.
anilkalvani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2009, 15:51   #13
BHPian

I believe with todays riding condition & future oil prices I would suggest every one to go for diessl as these are not that costly to maintain (I own to 2 diesel). But yes i agree to a lot of people when you look for diesel you have choices. Verna & you can even look for Linea.

Honda in any way is over priced & not that safe (could not clear crash tests)
SamtheLeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2009, 16:15   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Took delivery of my Verna Diesel A/T and she is well worth the 9.6L i paid for her. The acceleration, ride, and braking (4 wheel discs with ABS - no car in this price has it)

Well, i did a TD of Verna CRDI SX (M/T) last month and the sales guy told me that they have stopped the rear disk brakes since last august. Pls. correct me if I'm wrong here...
sathya79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2009, 16:23   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamtheLeo View Post
Honda in any way is over priced & not that safe (could not clear crash tests)
@SamtheLeo, can you provide the pointer to the source of this information. I am curious to know what was the rating.

Last edited by Guna : 24th December 2009 at 16:24.