Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 16th January 2010, 12:28   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post

You can try to find out from Tata if they can service Fiats anywhere. If they do the Linea is the best bet and trust me they do not rattle. Rattling used to be a problem with Fiats once upon a time. Ever since the Palios, the Fiats do not rattle.

Cheers,
I loved the Linea. I suppose the 'noise' about it on t-bhp makes me hesitant. I am willing to know more though. Are there any major quality issues? Long term ownership experience is important for me.
Mangusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2010, 20:11   #32
BHPian

For those in services, the choices should be based on convenience of maintenance first and everything else second. So, it's got to be 1. Maruti 2. Hyundai. For any other brand, you are asking for hassles in servicing once you move to remote areas. Even though your budget suggests you can afford SX4, you mentioned long periods of inactivity for this car. Then why invest so much? I'm certain people in services don't bother too much about snob value 'cos everyone knows how much their neighbour earns. VFM is the prime consideration and with the VI CPC, some style is affordable. You have lots of Citys, SX4s, Innovas in campuses these days and am sure we'll start getting Civics and Altises too. So, unless you want to have a BIG car AND your family has tall members, my suggestion: go for the Swift DZire ZXi (petrol top end), the ultimate VFM and equipped car in the market right now (~5.8 on road through CSD if bought and registered around Faridabad). SX4 is bigger but if you intend to not exploit it, why spend so much. Icon and Accent are ancient designs now, pointless for your needs of a family car. Second choice, please take Ma'am for a test ride in the i20 or even i10. IMO, i20 is much better for your fare than a Jazz (which is far less VFM compared to i20 and plagued with A S S issues). Only doubt is i10/20 may not be available in CSD. Third choice, Manza. Manza is a mixed bag of space and poor quality material in that space but it's a big sedan in the class and extreme VFM with poor A S S a deterring factor. Fourth choice, Linea. I would have made it the first had it not been for the poor A S S of Fiat (they are lousy even in giving you a test drive). And poor A S S ditto for Manza (both these cars are marketed by Tata). About the Jazz, since you mentioned that car, you can probably buy a DZire(LXi) and an Alto(LX) in the money you'll dish out for the Jazz. Hope this answers. Let us know what you decide. BTW, blue or OG?
Delta Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2010, 12:08   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Wing View Post
Second choice, please take Ma'am for a test ride in the i20 or even i10. IMO, i20 is much better for your fare than a Jazz (which is far less VFM compared to i20 and plagued with A S S issues). Only doubt is i10/20 may not be available in CSD.

Wilco. i20 is not , yet, available in CSD.

BTW, blue or OG?

OG and Pongo
Thanks for your logical views. I have in any case pended the decision.
Old 24th January 2010, 20:48   #34
BHPian

Default Chevy Optra owners may please help

To cut a long story short, this was the car that the entire family approved in toto.

It has tremendous presence inside out - beats the competition hands down. The leather was luxurious unlike the stiff feeling of the SX4.

With an OTR (thru CSD at Haryana) of 8.5 , 7.5 and 7 lacs for the LT, LS and MAX variants respectively, this latest TD has added to my woes of choices!

I am now searching the after sales prospects and long term maintenance issues from these threads. There is this inexplicable apprehension of buying stuff (recycled included) from the yanks. Ask the Pakis about their F-16's!

Optra owners/ mods may please help.
Old 25th January 2010, 02:38   #35
BHPian

The Optra is a VFM car, especially since the price reduction after Chevrolet introduced the Cruze. The car has a good road presence.

The only problem being it has been phased out. Are you looking only for petrol? If Diesel is fine, the Optra Magna is a stonker.
rg_chn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2010, 01:34   #36
BHPian

Isnt the Optra scheduled to be phased out in the near feature ??
I would suggest , since this is your hard-earned money, to LOOK BEFORE YOU LEAP.
INDIAN_VAGABOND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 15:34   #37
BHPian

Default Booked the Jazz!

Finally, out of toy shop!

And about to be all jazzed up.

Have sent a fellow down to Ramgarh to get the formalities done. Will collect the car, once it arrives(2 to 3 weeks), from Millenium Honda, Jamshedpur. Could convince wifey about the boot and the damage. Could not get it from Calcutta since the Govt of West Bengal has refused to exempt VAT for Servicemen.

Thank you guys for all the inputs.
Old 4th February 2010, 16:24   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangusta View Post
Finally, out of toy shop!

And about to be all jazzed up.

Have sent a fellow down to Ramgarh to get the formalities done. Will collect the car, once it arrives(2 to 3 weeks), from Millenium Honda, Jamshedpur. Could convince wifey about the boot and the damage. Could not get it from Calcutta since the Govt of West Bengal has refused to exempt VAT for Servicemen.

Thank you guys for all the inputs.
Looks like i was the only one who suggested Jazz here, and am glad that you took my advice. You will love the experience this car has to offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Jazz because its a kind of car you can keep forever (Honda reliability). Additionaly, you will not miss space of a sedan - for its wonderfully design interiors can give a lot of shame to some of the sedans in terms of interior space. Has got good boot space as well. Honda engines are known to be bulletproof and you can expect the car to clock 6 figure mileage with ease in its lifetime.
Not to forget ease of driving a hatch in heavy traffic conditions. And coming from a 800/Indica background you will be bowled over by the refinement this Honda has to offer
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 16:46   #39
Senior - BHPian

The jAzz is a lovely car. My sister owns one and she is totally in love with it. I have also driven it a few time and i was taken aback by the engines refinement levels and the amount of space inside the car .
Which color have you planned ?
arjunrudra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 16:50   #40
BHPian

@DCEite
You did,indeed. I valued your incisive comment.

Having said that, the other cars that were suggested by others and those that i test drove were all very good. As my Dad says, "All modern cars, by and large, hover around their segment averages in most respects". I reckon that is what makes choosing a pleasant experience.

The finalists were Optra 1.6 LS, SX4 ZXI, Verna 1.6 VTVT(lower variant), Jazz and , hold on, Accent!
Old 4th February 2010, 16:55   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunrudra View Post
The jAzz is a lovely car. My sister owns one and she is totally in love with it. I have also driven it a few time and i was taken aback by the engines refinement levels and the amount of space inside the car .
Which color have you planned ?
Alabaster Silver.

The fact that it has almost as good sightlines as the M800 convinced my wife to overlook her penchant for a separate boot. This was the only car that she checked out by taking to the wheel rather than riding.
Old 5th February 2010, 18:57   #42
BHPian

I asked the Honda dealer for the Service Manual along the car. I was told that only the Owner's Manual is provided. Later, i learn't from their zonal office at Mumbai that the Service Manual will not be provided even on additional payment. On explaining my situation of being in remote places with no Honda footprint, the fellow pointed out that even Maruti doesn't give its service manual. Funny fellow! I didn't have the heart to tell him that Maruti has distributed enough service manuals to its wide network.

Although i have sent the entire amount to the CSD depot, I am having second thoughts.
Old 8th February 2010, 12:07   #43
BHPian

HONDA in a remotely located town sans a SERVICE MANUAL is bound to make things difficult.

Add to the fact that the JAZZ is a new entrant, would mean lack of experience with the mechanics.

I suggest you make the trip only to authorised dealers for servicing ...

The option to change the choice of car might be a bit late as you would have to stop the DD encashment as well as forfeit the service charges too ...
INDIAN_VAGABOND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2010, 17:45   #44
BHPian

Default Changed my mind! Its SX4 VXI

The depot manager was kind enough to accept a change of booking. It saved me the draft charges as well. I have booked the SX4 VXI (roughly the same amount). A silky silver is available and the delivery at Ranchi (Premsons Motor Udyog Pvt Ltd) is scheduled for 23 Feb.

Mods please change the title.

Wifey is happy with the choice and that it is a saloon. I suppose Maruti's network held sway after all.
Old 25th February 2010, 16:15   #45
BHPian

Default SX4 VXI Delivered

Took 2 hours on Tuesday for the delivery at Premsons at Ranchi. Could not return to Cal the same day as ther was a Petrol Pump Owner's strike. Drove 466 Kms to Calcutta via Ramgarh Cant, Bokaro, Sindri on 29 Ltrs of regular petrol with AC on 100%. 16 Kmpl by tank full method. I was pleasantly surprised - for a yet to be broken-in vehicle. Thw euphoria was diluted when the tire pressure turned out to be in excess of 43 PSI
No accesories put so far. Planning for Leather Steering Cover, Mats and Alloys. Suggestions, particularly for Calcutta, are welcome .

Will post a Initial report after 1000K and 1st service.