Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 25th February 2010, 16:23   #46
BHPian

Default Here are the Pics

The pictures have been taken after reaching Calcutta, with 500 on the odometer.
Attached Thumbnails
Mid life blues- need a sedan replacement for M800. EDIT : Got SX4 VXi-new-sx4-010.jpg  

Mid life blues- need a sedan replacement for M800. EDIT : Got SX4 VXi-new-sx4-009.jpg  

Mid life blues- need a sedan replacement for M800. EDIT : Got SX4 VXi-new-sx4-006.jpg  

Mid life blues- need a sedan replacement for M800. EDIT : Got SX4 VXi-new-sx4-008.jpg  

Mangusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2010, 00:07   #47
BHPian

Congrats. That's a good looking car there. Guess from the way you spoke of the SX4 from the start, shayad aapka dil aa gaya tha is par! Enjoy the ride..
Delta Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2010, 00:33   #48
BHPian

Congrats Mangusta, its a nice car. It really gives a big car feel while driving.
I bought the ZXi version a couple of weeks back. You might want to look at some good alloys for the car. Also reverse sensors are mandatory; its tough to judge where the car ends!!
shreeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2010, 18:34   #49
BHPian

Default 15" HR Rims for SX4

Thanks guys.

Here are the pics with the HR Alloys - H290 15" Hyper Silver, 40mm Offset. From Indu Radial Club, Kolkata. Cost me 5K each. The boys selected the rims. The only other accesories were the mats and Stanley Leather Steering Cover - 1.5K for them.
Done 600 on the odometer.

There was a little hitch with the dealer. He had not applied for registration for a week. Claimed it was company policy to wait for the CSD to clear their payment before applying for registration. I complained to all and sundry. Sure enough, he got me the registration number within 48 hours of the **** hitting the fan - all CSD sales through the dealer were suspended. Rascals!
Attached Thumbnails
Mid life blues- need a sedan replacement for M800. EDIT : Got SX4 VXi-sx4-alloys-025.jpg  

Mid life blues- need a sedan replacement for M800. EDIT : Got SX4 VXi-sx4-alloys-030.jpg  

Old 7th March 2010, 19:52   #50
Senior - BHPian

Congrats. The alloys look great! Any pics of the 'Stanley' wrapped steering wheel?
DRIV3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2010, 23:24   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Congrats. The alloys look great! Any pics of the 'Stanley' wrapped steering wheel?
Ditto!! Can you please upload some pics of the steering wheel? The alloys look real good. Looks like your boys have good taste!!

Last edited by shreeps : 7th March 2010 at 23:27.
shreeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2010, 14:29   #52
BHPian

Default Stanley Leather Cover and Mats

Here are the pictures of Stanley Leather Cover(Black) and Mats. Sorry for the quality - camera phone.
Attached Thumbnails
Mid life blues- need a sedan replacement for M800. EDIT : Got SX4 VXi-image0121.jpg  

Mid life blues- need a sedan replacement for M800. EDIT : Got SX4 VXi-image0124.jpg  

Old 8th March 2010, 16:40   #53
BHPian

Congrats for your new SX4 purchase. It is a good car.
I thought SX4 had steering mounted music system controls.
Are they only in higher end versions?
BTW how much was on road price?
akas_chauhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2010, 22:03   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akas_chauhan View Post
Congrats for your new SX4 purchase. It is a good car.
I thought SX4 had steering mounted music system controls.
Are they only in higher end versions?
BTW how much was on road price?
Steering mounted controls only on the ZXi trim. His is a VXi.
DRIV3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2010, 22:37   #55
BHPian

Default Ownership Review: SX4 VXI vvt 6 months 5K kms Update.

Just finished the 2nd free service at 5k. Thought a short term review would be in order.
I'll give out the statistics followed by the impressions
Statistics
This car replaced my 11 year M800 in Feb 2010. I bought it, through the CSD Depot at Ramgarh from Premsons Motors, Ranchi. Accessories bought were foot mats, steering cover, and Alloys (Hijoin)
Initial Running in for the first 1K kms meticulously followed warming the engine before driving off. Up-shifting only at 2000 rpm. Never revved beyond 2500 rpm. Since the end of running in, of course, i revv it upto 5000 rpm once in a while but only after achieving optimum engine temparature.
The car was driven in Bengal, Bihar and UP in ratios 25/65/10:highway/urban/rural
Tried to keep the air filter clean especially during my rural sojourns in North Bihar - river bed driving!
Fuel costs till 4984 Kms on the odo are 445 litres(Rs 230020) of regular petrol at Rs 4.6/km and an average mileage of 11.2 Km/L. The best was 16kmpl(initial 500kms on the highway with dealer fixed 40 psi on each tyre!).
Servicing Costs of the first two (free)services have been nil. No consummables so far.Service frequency is 10K kms/one year.
Problems and Rattles - none so far.

City Driving:
Despite its dimensions, I have found this car surprisingly nimble in small town traffic.I am 5'8" and found a good driving position in the VXI(without height adjuster). Shorter persons may prefer the high-on in the ZXI. Ergonomics is excellent. Maruti-wallahs are at home. The gear shift is slick and positive. While the gearing is appropriate and you can make out the VVT making adjustments, I did manage a few times in the initial days to stall in 1st while starting off. Couldn't put a finger on why so - was it the ECM getting used to my driving? I haven't really got used to the 'blind' right side 'A' pillar. Steering, road feel and grip is above the average. Low-speed ride over potholes is a little stiff. But I love the growl of the short sprints above 2000 rpm. It always makes my day. Once in a while, I love to smother a tall speedbreaker at a clip. I have no hesitation in rejecting Maruti's 'man thing' about this car. A car will always be a 'she' irrespective of what is politically correct in referring to sexual orientation of indo-jap carmakers!
I attach the latest pictures of my SX4 VXI for the doubting Thomases[Mid life blues- need a sedan replacement for M800. EDIT : Got SX4 VXi-sx4-oct-10-004.jpg

Mid life blues- need a sedan replacement for M800. EDIT : Got SX4 VXi-sx4-oct-10-005.jpg

Mid life blues- need a sedan replacement for M800. EDIT : Got SX4 VXi-sx4-oct-10-006.jpg

Mid life blues- need a sedan replacement for M800. EDIT : Got SX4 VXi-sx4-oct-10-007.jpg
Highway Driving: This is a proper compact tourer - the best in India to-day, if I may say so. The engine is quite and refined. The tyre noise is a problem only in ZXI. The Bridgestone Turanzas are great for braking too. During the Test Drive my wife claimed that the VXI, rather than the ZXI, was more comfortable in the rear. Both straightline stability and roll is very well controlled for this 'tall boy saloon'. The maximum drive in one day was Banaras to Bareilly wherein driving comfort was commendable with adequate lumbar support. Although the rear middle seat is, at best, only good for teenagers, my family insists that the back seat comfort, ride and space is tops. Coupled with the best egress/ingres in class, it is a hit with my parents and other elderly members. The boot is cavernous - the entire family can pack their big and small suitcases. While nothing ever went wrong with the car on those long drives, the fact that a MASS station is always nearby is reassuring.
Rural Driving:
This is not an offroader. However, if you must drive a saloon (after the amby) in bad or no roads in rural India, i guess you'd be most at home with the SX4. While dry river-bed driving wasn't a problem, wet kutcha tracks would be a different cup of tea. If there was a AWD option - i would have taken it - even if it was only in a hatchback version.
My impression so far:
This car does everything rather well. The only thing it is head and shoulders above its rivals in, though, is giving you bang for your buck. If you are looking for a modern-outstanding value-compact-petrol-family car, its difficult to see how you can go wrong with the SX4. If there is ever a 'Jack of All' competition, the Suzuki SX4 would give cars from a segment above a run for their money. As incomes rise in the hinterland i see this car holding its own in the coming years.
Old 10th November 2010, 13:55   #56
BHPian

It would have been nicer if the mud flaps too are body colored. My ZXI came with body colored mud flaps. Does the VXI come without the body color painting?

Well maintained. Didn't you change the engine oil in the first service? The manual says it is mandatory.

Murthy
gavinimurthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2010, 18:27   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangusta View Post
Just finished the 2nd free service at 5k. Thought a short term review would be in order.
I'll give out the statistics followed by the impressions
Statistics

Fuel costs till 4984 Kms on the odo are 445 litres(Rs 230020) of regular petrol at Rs 4.6/km and an average mileage of 11.2 Km/L. The best was 16kmpl(initial 500kms on the highway with dealer fixed 40 psi on each tyre!).
I am sure you meant Rs. 23002/- and not an extra zero. I got a shock initially.

I have driven the MAN for almost 10000 kms without any issues. Good Choice.
DigitalDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2010, 20:11   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinimurthy View Post
It would have been nicer if the mud flaps too are body colored. My ZXI came with body colored mud flaps. Does the VXI come without the body color painting?

Well maintained. Didn't you change the engine oil in the first service? The manual says it is mandatory.

Murthy
The VXI's mud flaps are not body coloured.

Thank you.

No, i did not change the engine oil at 5K - the manual indicates a change at 10K only. However, the service manual RW 415/416 indicates a change at 7.5 K in case of 'short repeated trips' which is one of the conditions that qualifies for extreme conditions.
Old 11th November 2010, 11:36   #59
BHPian

Dear Mangusta

I am typing directly from the Owner's manual and service booklet. Page 8-3

Inspection and Maintenance

Free Inspection
Interval: This interval should be judged .......km(X1000) 1 5 10
by odometer reading or months ..................months ....1 6 12
whichever comes first.

1.3 Engine oil and oil filter........................................ R I R

Note: R: Replace I: Inspect

The recommended engine oil is SAE 5W30.

The first free service coupon

1.3 Engine oil & Oil filter (Replace) (Petrol)

The reason why they recommend oil change after 1000 kms is to remove the debris that invariably gets collected during running in period. I advise all owners not to neglect this.

Murthy

Last edited by gavinimurthy : 11th November 2010 at 11:45.
gavinimurthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2010, 20:45   #60
BHPian

Mangusta, very good report. I agree with most of your points. After driving a SX4 for last 3 months, my overall impressions are very similar to yours.

However, like gavinimurthy has pointed out, it is required to change the engine oil (and also oil filter, actually) during the 1st service after 1000km. In my case, this change was done and I was charged only for these consumables (oil and filter). I am surprised that you did not change your oil after 1000km.
Dr.AD is offline   Reply With Quote