Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2010, 09:52   #1
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 124
Thanked: 11 Times
Default Parents needs a new car , but which one

Hi All,

My parents who are at Kerala are planning to sell their current 2002 Jan model Zen LX and going for a new one. We are confused as which one to select.

The requirements are:-
1. No hatch back, it should be sedan.
2. Not looking at 2nd hand.
3. Decent mileage.
4. It will be driver driven.
5. Good back seat comfort as my mother is suffering from back pain.
6. Will keep it for another 5 years.
7. Monthly usage varies from 250Km to 500KM.
8. The budget is 6L, but can extend another 20K.

Cars in our mind are..
1. Dezire (Petrol and Diesel).Heard about long waiting preiods.
2. Tata manza. (Tata website not giving any info...concern about ***)
3. Ford Ikon. (Again concern abt *** and costly services)

Please help me in deciding this...

Regards,
Gopi.
shalini_g is offline  
Old 13th January 2010, 10:25   #2
BHPian
 
prashant03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 34
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Hyundai Verna (base model), DZire (it does have long wait times) and Chevy Aveo (base model) would be around your price range. All have their strengths and weaknesses. You should take your parents to all the dealerships, have them sit in all the cars, and take test drives over different kinds of roads.

Tata's quality just leaves a lot to be desired. The Ikon is an obselete car, totally avoidable. It is also very low in height, would be a problem with your mother. The Hyundai Accent has the same issues.
prashant03 is offline  
Old 13th January 2010, 10:57   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
mooza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,055
Thanked: 243 Times
Default

Hi Gopi, what about the road conditions? From my personal experience which I have with my Ikon, I have found it to be quite relaiable. But the ride is a bit on the harder side.

Last edited by mooza : 13th January 2010 at 11:02.
mooza is offline  
Old 13th January 2010, 11:19   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,027
Thanked: 5,325 Times
Default

Hi

My suggestions on sedans for your parents in order of priority - bearing in mind the specific requirements you have and points you have made:

1. Tata Manza - amazing VFM - feature loaded and its way better than all the other Tata cars so far. Quality is good. Mileage is not a problem on this car from what Ive checked.
2. Swift Dzire - reliable, comfortable, pretty loaded - no problem on maintenance and servicing anywhere in India. Quality is good. Mileage is good.
3. Hyundai Accent Executive version - very reasonably priced and a very good car all round though a little dated now - a clear disadvantage though is that it is low slung, and the low seating may pose a problem for older people like parents etc. quality is good and mileage is decent.
4. Hyundai Verna - it is an expensive proposition to buy though it is a very good car.
5. Ford Fiesta - it is also more expensive than the first three listed but is a good car. Not sure how easily accessible and good Ford Service is in Kerala.
6.Fiat Linea - This is a very good car in my opinion. It is a bit expensive in comparison with the first three cars listed. And I am not so sure about peace of mind, its servicing in Kerala and overall consistency in quality.
7.Ikon - frankly it is old and dated plus its got a pretty hard ride and is not very roomy in the back.

With the first three cars listed, your parents will heave a sigh of relief after their years of driving the old Zen LX. In all the three, the comfort factor and advances in technology are way ahead of the old Zen so Im sure they will enjoy them much more.

Apart from these, the Chevy Aveo has some great deals, it is a pretty comfy car and from all accounts, people who own it, love it. I am not too sure about Chevy After Sales Service though and re-sale values are always in question with GM vehicles.

All the best.


Quote:
Originally Posted by shalini_g View Post
Hi All,

My parents who are at Kerala are planning to sell their current 2002 Jan model Zen LX and going for a new one. We are confused as which one to select.

The requirements are:-
1. No hatch back, it should be sedan.
2. Not looking at 2nd hand.
3. Decent mileage.
4. It will be driver driven.
5. Good back seat comfort as my mother is suffering from back pain.
6. Will keep it for another 5 years.
7. Monthly usage varies from 250Km to 500KM.
8. The budget is 6L, but can extend another 20K.

Cars in our mind are..
1. Dezire (Petrol and Diesel).Heard about long waiting preiods.
2. Tata manza. (Tata website not giving any info...concern about ***)
3. Ford Ikon. (Again concern abt *** and costly services)

Please help me in deciding this...

Regards,
Gopi.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 13th January 2010 at 11:22.
shankar.balan is offline  
Old 13th January 2010, 11:56   #5
BHPian
 
gomzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 783
Thanked: 125 Times
Default

From the 3 cars you shortlisted, I'd suggest the Tata Manza for your parents.
A lot of people say the Manza as VFM, and i'd agree.

Points I considered:
- It's got good back seat leg room. Probably best in class but I have not sat in others like Ikon
- It's got a HUGE boot, so good for packing in stuff for long drives.
- Since its going to be driver driven I guess performance figures will not be important.
- I have always found the suspension of Tata cars to be much more comfortable than Maruti's in a comparable segment.
- It's got a lot of safety and comfort features for the price.

There is a concern about Tata A.S.S. but then even abundantly available Maruti service centres are no guarantee of good service.

Since the monthly running will not be much, check the reputation and quality of your local TATA service centres. If they have a decent reputation, go for it!

I would not recommend the Ikon. Yes, it's cheap, but its old.

Most importantly, do a TD of the Manza & DZire with your parents in the back seat. Most probably, the reactions of your parents and look on their faces will make the decision on which car to go for. But do a TD of both cars.
gomzi is offline  
Old 13th January 2010, 12:30   #6
BHPian
 
ash7678's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: mumbai :) /bangalore :(
Posts: 51
Thanked: Once
Default hi

Hi Gopi,

Why don't you consider the limited edition of the Fiesta 1.4 diesel? you might have to rush to book it as there is quite a bit of demand for the same.

It is a lovely car with a ride quality that is way better than the Ikon. You might have to stretch your budget a wee bit but considering the goodies they are throwing in (MP3 player etc) it would be worth it.

All the best!
ash7678 is offline  
Old 13th January 2010, 12:32   #7
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 124
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
Hi Gopi, what about the road conditions? From my personal experience which I have with my Ikon, I have found it to be quite relaiable. But the ride is a bit on the harder side.
Mooza,

Even I having a 2005 Ikon with me at Bangalore and I put it at the lowest because , the model is bit old and high service cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash7678 View Post
Hi Gopi,

Why don't you consider the limited edition of the Fiesta 1.4 diesel? you might have to rush to book it as there is quite a bit of demand for the same.

It is a lovely car with a ride quality that is way better than the Ikon. You might have to stretch your budget a wee bit but considering the goodies they are throwing in (MP3 player etc) it would be worth it.

All the best!
ash7678,
Our budget is tight and I feel that on raod price for Fiesta will be more than 6.5!!.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Hi

My suggestions on sedans for your parents in order of priority - bearing in mind the specific requirements you have and points you have made:

1. Tata Manza - amazing VFM - feature loaded and its way better than all the other Tata cars so far. Quality is good. Mileage is not a problem on this car from what Ive checked.
2. Swift Dzire - reliable, comfortable, pretty loaded - no problem on maintenance and servicing anywhere in India. Quality is good. Mileage is good.
3. Hyundai Accent Executive version - very reasonably priced and a very good car all round though a little dated now - a clear disadvantage though is that it is low slung, and the low seating may pose a problem for older people like parents etc. quality is good and mileage is decent.
4. Hyundai Verna - it is an expensive proposition to buy though it is a very good car.
5. Ford Fiesta - it is also more expensive than the first three listed but is a good car. Not sure how easily accessible and good Ford Service is in Kerala.
6.Fiat Linea - This is a very good car in my opinion. It is a bit expensive in comparison with the first three cars listed. And I am not so sure about peace of mind, its servicing in Kerala and overall consistency in quality.
7.Ikon - frankly it is old and dated plus its got a pretty hard ride and is not very roomy in the back.

With the first three cars listed, your parents will heave a sigh of relief after their years of driving the old Zen LX. In all the three, the comfort factor and advances in technology are way ahead of the old Zen so Im sure they will enjoy them much more.

Apart from these, the Chevy Aveo has some great deals, it is a pretty comfy car and from all accounts, people who own it, love it. I am not too sure about Chevy After Sales Service though and re-sale values are always in question with GM vehicles.

All the best.
Hi Shankar.balan,
Verna, Fiesta and Linea are out of our budget and Ikon, Accent are outdated. So my search is limited to Dezire and Manza. I am confused as which is the best. Heard about maruti coming up with new engine for Dezire. Is it good to wait for another 3 to 4 months?

Regards,
Gopi.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 20 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Dippy : 13th January 2010 at 16:45. Reason: See the note in your post.
shalini_g is offline  
Old 13th January 2010, 12:40   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
karanraheja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 1,915
Thanked: 233 Times
Default

Manza suits your needs. Dzire is expected to get the 1.2Kb series engine in few months. My vote would go to Manza.
karanraheja is offline  
Old 13th January 2010, 12:41   #9
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 124
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

Memebers from Kerala can help.

Any idea of the on road price of Dezire VDi and VXi? Is Maruti giving any discounts now. What are the on road price of different variants of Manza?

Please help.


Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
Manza suits your needs. Dzire is expected to get the 1.2Kb series engine in few months. My vote would go to Manza.
I am just worried about Tata's service and their quality. Any idea abt Tata giving discounts on Manza?

Regards,
Gopi.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 20 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Dippy : 13th January 2010 at 16:47. Reason: See the note in your post.
shalini_g is offline  
Old 13th January 2010, 15:42   #10
BHPian
 
yogeshnaik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 312
Thanked: 40 Times
Default

As per your budget considerations and shortlisted cars, Tata Manza suits your needs. Its also Value For Money car. The build quality is the best in Tata stable. It has a lot of features. As you said the car will be driver by a driver, the back seats are much comfortable than Dezire. Good leg room at behind. The After Sales Service has improved a lot and you wont find any problem in service now a days at Tata. There will be a lot of feedback from the customer to Tata Motors and they take strict actions against any faults. You can have Petrol/Diesel engines. Its a FIAT engine. Diesel is well known, award winning 1.3 Multijet Diesel, same goes in Swift Dezire VDi/ZDi. manza is the well built and one of the best Tata cars. Please take a test drive before you decide as the personal liking is also important.

Compared to Swift Dezire, the fit and finish is comparatively good in Maruti. After Sales and service is the best. Good quality build. Feature wise Tata gives more package than Dezire. Both are competetive. Maruti is everywhere. If you need peace of mind and hassle free after sales & service, then go for Maruti. Waiting period was approximately 6 months when I enquired. If you like shape and looks it should not matter.

Ford Ikon will be outdated in near future. Maintanence is highest among the three. Mirrors are oudated, taking reverse is a problem due to a huge boot. You only pay for the brand. Instead, Ford Fiesta is a better option. The after sales and service is also important.

Good luck!
yogeshnaik is offline  
Old 13th January 2010, 16:37   #11
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,661
Thanked: 1,389 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalini_g View Post
Hi Shankar.balan,
So my search is limited to Dezire and Manza. I am confused as which is the best.

Heard about maruti coming up with new engine for Dezire. Is it good to wait for another 3 to 4 months?

Regards,
Gopi.
New engine? a petrol one it will be then.

I would feel safer if my parents sit in a metal box instead of a tin box; great if it has more safety features.

Tata Motors | get-price

See if you can get Indigo XL for a good price as its discontinued.

Manza Aura (ABS) will cost 5.4lac EX-showroom I guess.
jkdas is offline  
Old 13th January 2010, 18:22   #12
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 124
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
New engine? a petrol one it will be then.

I would feel safer if my parents sit in a metal box instead of a tin box; great if it has more safety features.

Tata Motors | get-price

See if you can get Indigo XL for a good price as its discontinued.

Manza Aura (ABS) will cost 5.4lac EX-showroom I guess.
A discontinued car for the parents!! No way. Will look at Dezire or Manza based on the test drives.

Mods , please close the thread.

Thanks,
Gopi.

Note from Mod : Thread closed. This choice of cars has often been discussed earlier. Please search.[/b]

Last edited by GTO : 14th January 2010 at 10:40. Reason: Adding thread closure note
shalini_g is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Planning on a new sedan, but which one? GeekSrik Sedans 87 24th June 2010 18:23
Ford ikon rally sport needs repair?? but where?? help needed... rahulzzz Technical Stuff 0 27th June 2007 15:45
Kan-Fusion :Automatic -- but which one is the right one kpbhatt Sedans 12 8th March 2007 22:37


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:59.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks