Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2010, 15:16   #1
BHPian

Selling Skoda Octavia 1.9TDi, what to buy as a replacement ?

Hi Guys,
I am finally selling my 5 yr old Skoda Octavia 1.9TDi. It served well and have no regrets of having owned one.
Now that my installments are over, I will sell it and buy a new car.
So I am looking to buy a better car now. What are my options ? I have a rough budget of ~20-30L.
I am seriously considering the Skoda Super 2.0L TDi considering its awesome features at such a mouthwatering price.
I was also contemplating the A4, 530D(Dreaming LOL), 320D, C220 CDI.
The reason I got more inclined towards the Superb is that its a bigger car compared to some of the germans mentioned above and is equally feature packed compared to them or even more or less in some areas. So I guess it makes the Superb an extremely VFM contender.

If I have missed out on another car which is also worth considering, please feel free to suggest me, who knows, I might end up buying something totally different, better thanks to you guys!

Suggestions,opinions are most welcome
Old 21st January 2010, 15:22   #2
BHPian

The Skoda Superb is an amazing buy if it wasn't for their shitty A**.The Octavia, unlike the superb and the laura, was known for its bullet proof reliability.
List out you'r requirements and you'l definitely get some good options.
Old 21st January 2010, 15:23   #3
Senior - BHPian

Would you want to consider the Passat?
Old 21st January 2010, 15:33   #4
BHPian

Need more info!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amey View Post
Hi Guys,
I am finally selling my 5 yr old Skoda Octavia 1.9TDi. It served well and have no regrets of having owned one.
Now that my installments are over, I will sell it and buy a new car.
So I am looking to buy a better car now. What are my options ? I have a rough budget of ~20-30L.
I am seriously considering the Skoda Super 2.0L TDi considering its awesome features at such a mouthwatering price.
I was also contemplating the A4, 530D(Dreaming LOL), 320D, C220 CDI.
The reason I got more inclined towards the Superb is that its a bigger car compared to some of the germans mentioned above and is equally feature packed compared to them or even more or less in some areas. So I guess it makes the Superb an extremely VFM contender.

If I have missed out on another car which is also worth considering, please feel free to suggest me, who knows, I might end up buying something totally different, better thanks to you guys!

Suggestions,opinions are most welcome

Amey,

I think you should first look at your requirements. If this is a second car or if it is going to be you driving yourself most of the time then the new corporate edition of the 320D is rather nice VFM in India. If you are being chauffeur driven/have a family then you may want to consider the Passat as well.
I have looked at both the Passat and the Superb. There is just no getting around the fact that the Passat is much much better built than the superb.
If you can buy a Petrol car why not the Superb V6 4X4 (Petrol maybe hard on the wallet though)
If you can wait, I'd look at the Lancer evo that is coming out, if I could shell out 30 big ones for a car, then it'd be either that or a 320D manual (if it ever becomes available )
There is also the Nissan Teana,although this is only good if you only want to be chauffeur driven. No one who loves driving will buy this over the other options available.
Please post more about your lifestyle/requirements, then we'll be able to give you better opinions !!!

(BMW X1 is coming out as well !!)

EDIT ::: WAIT before buying the Superb Diesel, the CRDI engine upgrade is around the corner!

Last edited by imp! : 21st January 2010 at 15:34.
Old 21st January 2010, 15:55   #5
Senior - BHPian

WHAT - ?? Is the Superb V6 a 4x4 ???
Old 21st January 2010, 16:08   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
WHAT - ?? Is the Superb V6 a 4x4 ???
Yes, you read it right. It comes with a 6 speed DSG
Old 21st January 2010, 16:09   #7
BHPian

Once the Germans are in the radar ..... I'd say take the leap and enjoy the feeling.
Old 21st January 2010, 17:52   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by absynthguzzler View Post
Once the Germans are in the radar ..... I'd say take the leap and enjoy the feeling.
+1 to that, provided you dont mind spending a little more than you would on cars from other nationalities, on the maintenance front as well.
Old 21st January 2010, 18:22   #9
BHPian

Alright, to make things simpler, here are my basic requirements,

1) We usually adopt the policy of 1 small car and 1 big car for obvious reasons. I already have a Swift VDi which I will be selling soon and buy an i20 and Getz CRdi which dad uses daily. So basically the Getz and Swift were the daily drives and the Octavia was used for long trips.
The car I intend to buy now will play this role, Accompany us on our long drives. Me and my father both love driving and prefer driving ourselves rather than being chauffeur driven.
2) The Octavia was known to have horrible rear seats. Me and my dad are both 6 Ft. + so sitting at rear in the Octavia was a nightmare for both of us.The new car should have good legroom in the front as well as rear making long drives comfortable.For that matter I love the rear seats of my Lancer compared to my Octavia.
3) Petrol is a strict no no. Dad is a diesel freak from the beginning and now even I am turning into one after having seen these brilliant common rail turbo charged engines. Beautiful blend of power and economy!
4) Since I have owned a Skoda car, I am aware of the high maintenance costs but I am ok with it. I am also mentally prepared that the Superb would be slightly more expensive than the Octy to maintain.

I guess I have covered most of the aspects around which the car choice is revolving.
A close friend just told me about the CRDi option on the Superb, I have taken that option into consideration.
Old 21st January 2010, 22:29   #10
Senior - BHPian

If you are OK with Skoda then I'd say go for the top end Diesel Superb - It comes loaded to the brim and has excellent space inside.

BMW's and Audi A4's will be well over 30 lacs.
Old 22nd January 2010, 04:06   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
If you are OK with Skoda then I'd say go for the top end Diesel Superb - It comes loaded to the brim and has excellent space inside.

BMW's and Audi A4's will be well over 30 lacs.
the skoda superb has the same trim level for both petrol & diesel
Old 22nd January 2010, 06:48   #12
Team-BHP Support

Look nowhere other than the Skoda Superb. You've owned and maintained a Skoda and can vouch for their QOS. The Superb is absolute VFM and puts many 40L+ cars to shame with its pricing. The other options in that price bracket are mostly petrols like the Accord, etc. Hyundai Sonata is a good car but I don't think it suits your requirements too well ;-). Wait for the CRDi in the Superb if its around the corner.
Old 22nd January 2010, 08:51   #13
BHPian

Since you require a decent amount of leg room, none of the entry level Audis/Bimmers, will fit in your budget, unless you stretch for the 520D (not too sure about the comfort level though)

I would stay away from the Superb Diesel, primarily because it is one noisy beast with that PD engine !! Skoda is getting the crdi engines, they offer them in Europe, the yeti is getting it in a few months over here, so the superb crdi makeover is just around the corner.

In any case, go check out both the superb and the Passat, IMO the build quality and CRDI engine of the passat are worth the extra 3 lacs you will shell out for it. Especially since you appear to be looking at a long term ownership.
If sedan is not a must, why don't you consider wait for the X1 or the captiva?
You could also pick up a slightly used Prado in more than excellent condition in your budget.
Old 22nd January 2010, 10:08   #14
BHPian

I have heard about the CRDi and am willing to wait for it. Will check it out and then make the final call.
Me and dad love driving so it would have to be a sedan, both of us are not very big fans on SUV
Old 25th January 2010, 00:48   #15
BHPian

Yep it would be prudent waiting for the CRDI if you're set on the diesel. Tho the petrol is also a stonker of an engine! One thing i didnt get tho is why is the diesel priced so high? Theres a difference of 2.6 lakhs ex showroom between petrol and diesel. Surely the diesel engine dosent cost that much more?( the petrol being a direct injection, with a turbo and a supercharger isnt a very cheap engine either). In my opinion the only reason is that there is no other diesel car in this segment and hence skoda figures they can charge a premium. Comparatively the difference in ex showroom price between the laura petrol and diesel is just 50k.

what is your yearly running though? That would be the major factor in deciding IMO

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks