Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

View Poll Results: If I had to buy one of these two sedans today I will put my money on,
Swift DZire 76 23.46%
Tata Manza 248 76.54%
Voters: 324. You may not vote on this poll

Old 19th February 2010, 09:55   #226
Senior - BHPian

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjalihal View Post
Manza has a hydraulic power steering whereas the Dzire comes with state of the art electronic power steering, giving it feather light car control.
But fact is HPS is way better than EPS. EPS may give better feather light feeling, but the feedback provided by HPS is much better than EPS. AFAIK top brands like MERC, Bimmers too have HPS not EPS.

MSIL provides EPS since EPS is easy to maintain. From common mans perspective EPS feels good but for an enthusiasts, HPS is the one!
recshenoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2010, 10:02   #227
BHPian

Default re

@recshenoy:
That's not always true. When it comes to high-speed driving, i agree with your points. However, in the city driving, EPS is far better than HPS. Also, for the woman driver, EPS is always preferable than HPS.

@VeluM:
I do not understand your point. If your car does not give the trouble (which is really excellent IMO), but 99 other cars give the trouble to their owners, how do you call it a trouble-free car? At least, in statistics, we don't.

Last edited by mohandas : 19th February 2010 at 10:08.
mohandas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2010, 19:18   #228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohandas View Post
@recshenoy:
However, in the city driving, EPS is far better than HPS. Also, for the woman driver, EPS is always preferable than HPS.

@VeluM:
I do not understand your point. If your car does not give the trouble (which is really excellent IMO), but 99 other cars give the trouble to their owners, how do you call it a trouble-free car? At least, in statistics, we don't.
The preference for EPS or HPS is subjective. I drive mostly within the city, and so does my wife. We both prefer the HPS of the Spark over the EPS of our previous WagonR.

As for not understanding my point, my bad. I should have clarified that I didn't agree with a few BHPians who'd said that Tata petrols are unreliable. I'm not saying the car has no faults, but condemning the engine is not quite fair. The engine has it's own characteristics, like focus on low-end torque for driveability, and not a very free revving nature, but it is by no account Unreliable.

In Delhi, a number of call centre cabs these days are Xeta CNG. If they find it reliable, I think the engine passed that test

Last edited by VeluM : 19th February 2010 at 19:27. Reason: Bad t.
VeluM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2010, 19:31   #229
BHPian

Default Vfm

Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
I actually did. And its suited me great. No regrets. My Xeta engine blows away the puny high revving low torque Alto/ Wagon R/ Estilo engines anyday

And the service center persons have not required to touch the engine, so doesn't matter if they do or do not know the engine

PS: Even after 29,000 km on the ODO, the engine sounds and works as good as it was on the first day. Advantage of having a petrol engine sharing parts with a diesel engine which is designed to take much more stress.
It's really true. I was looking out for a car to replace 1997 Maruti 800 in 2008 within 3.5 lakhs. Xeta GLS cost me 3.2 lakhs OTR and it is serving me very well .
kreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2010, 14:47   #230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaz View Post
And a piece of advice @YC.Baleno.CHD - You've never owned any other Car apart from Maruti. Why don't you give a try? Palio 1.6 was a Driving Enthusiast's Car. SRV was another One (Maybe with few flaws). But all these have failed becuase people like you have sticked to Maruti.
No I do not own a car yet as am a student and the cars I use are our family's cars.

BTW there is a reason why all the current cars we have are Marutis and I had mentioned it some time back in some other thread.

Also here is a list of cars that had been used by me or my family in recent past:

1) Fiat Uno (model-'96)
2) TATA Sumo (model-'97)
3) Daewoo Cielo (model-'98)
4) OHC 1.3 (model-'03)

Apart from these cars we had an Indica Lsi, Maruti Alto, Sumo Grande and a SX4 as dad's company cars.

And the reason that we have stuck to Marutis is that they have served us better than any of the other cars we have had both in terms of driving pleasure and ease of ownership.

Palio 1.6 is no doubt a gem of a performer (by Indian standards) and SRV looks far better than any of my cars but then as an overall package none of the cars meet my key requirements, that is of a car that is engaging to drive yet does not comes with nightmarish aftersales. And I do not think that SRV is an involving car to drive. The Palio is a decent perfromer and its ride is good enough to soak triple speed breakers without any "thuds" (unlike my jap cars) but as an overall package its surely falls a notch below my requirements.

@kingpin: Just to ease your irritation about the cars I own, in few months time the Esteem shall be replaced by a Punto petrol.

Sorry for going OT but the quoted post was surely demanding an explanation.

Coming back to the Dzire and Manza, all those here who think that Dzire is as dull a performer as the Manza or that the Manza is exciting a perfromer as the Dzire should themselves spend sometime rather than asking me to do so.

Enough have been said about both the cars but TATA fans should accept the fact that Dzire is quicker and has better fuel efficiency than the Manza (Check ACI or any source, better still check yourself if possible).

Also, Dzire strikes a better balance between ride and handling. Manza may have a softer and plush ride but it rolls a fair bit more around the corners.

Looks are subjective but to me both are ugly, While Dzire has odd-ball looks, the manza is bland and out of proportions.

Manza may be cheaper but you cannot really commpare TASS with MASS. (pardon the poor rhyming). Although it does depend alot on your local service centres.

Even on equipment front I'll say the cars are equally matched, with both of 'em missing on some and then gaining on some.

I have said it before and I'll mention it again. Manza and Dzire are totally different cars. Dzire is more nimble better composed and a slightly better performer with better fuel efficiency. Its The Driver's Car between the two while Manza has a more comfortable ride with more space at the rear (BTW Manza's driver footwell is quite cramped). Its the car between the two that has to Chauffuer driven to be really enjoyed.
And to all those TATA fans out here who have not driven any of the two cars and are hence giving biased comments, in the end it remains that the Dzire is the better self driven car of the two and while Manza may be huge and a tad cheaper, you'll have to be at the rear seat to really enjoy the car's pros.

Regards.

EDIT- @Sh-- Care to explain how your 1.2 litre Xeta engine "BLOWS AWAY" the jap 1.1s which are 'puny' because they are less by 100 odd cc? Also If you take the 1.4 into account don't you think you sholud take a look at the term "power to weight ratio''? Also, Swift Lxi was priced quite close to Xeta 1.4 and that provides another perspective to your "BLOWS AWAY" verdict. does not it?

Last edited by YC.BALENO.CHD : 20th February 2010 at 14:58.
YC.BALENO.CHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2010, 15:56   #231
BHPian

well i have personally driven close to 1.5 lac kms tata cars (indica and indigo) and have clocked 60,000 kms in esteem and around 10,000 in swift vdi...two days back i bought tata manza aura abs quadrajet model. with fare share of experience with tata service centers and maruti service centers i will rate them with maruti slightly on advantage..while test driving dzire i like the handling part but really disliked the turbo lag initially and later turbo spooling up and me feeling like sitting in a rocket..you do get the thrill but in daily driving i wont be comfortable with that.

moreover with rear cramped seats and less boot space and min wait of 3 months and at a price of 7 lacs i didnt find dzire to be that attractive option. in manza i found lot of space.better engine and drive and i really felt like i was driving a big car.
TATA cars dont have that rattling problems which i constantly face in my maruti cars. surely maruti petrols are fun to drive and there diesel cars have that oomph factor but when it comes to driving in realistic world i.e day to day driving, highway driving quadrajet fulfills the requirement completely.
but for the person like me Manza is the choice and from my prospective it beats dzire and that to by a huge margin. If i have to compare it i will compare it with SX4 in terms of space inside , ride quality , features and engine.
salvation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2010, 20:34   #232
srh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC.BALENO.CHD View Post
EDIT- @Sh-- Care to explain how your 1.2 litre Xeta engine "BLOWS AWAY" the jap 1.1s which are 'puny' because they are less by 100 odd cc? Also If you take the 1.4 into account don't you think you sholud take a look at the term "power to weight ratio''? Also, Swift Lxi was priced quite close to Xeta 1.4 and that provides another perspective to your "BLOWS AWAY" verdict. does not it?
My Xeta is a 1.4l. I do not call the Jap engine puny because of 100CC. Its because of the poor low end torque leading to frequent gear changes, inferior in gear acceleration etc. And before you ask the question how am I able to say this, I have driven all cars extensively (Alto, Wagon R - earlier engine, Swift - earlier engine). Only the Swift engine beats the Xeta 1.4l. But then, fuel efficiencies I derived between the two were almost comparable (Swift was around 8% more efficient)

When I purchased my 1.4 in 2006, the comparable Swift (in terms of features) was Rs 70000 more. To put that in perspective, 70,000 is 20.6% more than the on road price of my Xeta.
srh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2010, 13:01   #233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC.BALENO.CHD View Post
No I do not own a car yet as am a student and the cars I use are our family's cars. Also here is a list of cars that had been used by me or my family in recent past:
1) Fiat Uno (model-'96)
2) TATA Sumo (model-'97)
3) Daewoo Cielo (model-'98)
4) OHC 1.3 (model-'03)
Apart from these cars we had an Indica Lsi, Maruti Alto, Sumo Grande and a SX4 as dad's company cars.
Y.C. Baleno, believe me, you're one hell of a lucky guy! BTW howcome the Baleno is conspicuous by its absence in your list of cars??

Quote:
Originally Posted by salvation View Post
well i have personally driven close to 1.5 lac kms tata cars (indica and indigo) and have clocked 60,000 kms in esteem and around 10,000 in swift vdi...two days back i bought tata manza aura abs quadrajet model. with fare share of experience with tata service centers and maruti service centers i will rate them with maruti slightly on advantage..while test driving dzire i like the handling part but really disliked the turbo lag initially and later turbo spooling up and me feeling like sitting in a rocket..you do get the thrill but in daily driving i wont be comfortable with that.moreover with rear cramped seats and less boot space and min wait of 3 months and at a price of 7 lacs i didnt find dzire to be that attractive option. in manza i found lot of space.better engine and drive and i really felt like i was driving a big car.
TATA cars dont have that rattling problems which i constantly face in my maruti cars. surely maruti petrols are fun to drive and there diesel cars have that oomph factor but when it comes to driving in realistic world i.e day to day driving, highway driving quadrajet fulfills the requirement completely.but for the person like me Manza is the choice and from my prospective it beats dzire and that to by a huge margin. If i have to compare it i will compare it with SX4 in terms of space inside , ride quality , features and engine.
Right Said Fred. I also came to the same conclusion after a lac plus kms in an Indica. Now waiting for my Manza QJD Aura to be delivered in Grey Noir.
windiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2010, 13:38   #234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by windiesel View Post
Now waiting for my Manza QJD Aura to be delivered in Grey Noir.
I understand you had a tough time choosing between the Dzire & the Manza because of your previous experiences with the Tata A.S.S. I would really appreciate if you could point out the reasons which tilted your decision in favour of Manza .

BTW, how long is the waiting period for Manza ?
rishab.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2010, 09:47   #235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishab.k View Post

BTW, how long is the waiting period for Manza ?

I booked my Manza Qudrajet Aura ABS on jan 23rd and took delivery yesterday.Had to wait a 5-7 days longer coz there was a huge inflow of cars for delivery at Concorde Diary Circle bangalore and unfortunately or fortunately my car reached the stock yard bang at the start of the Shivratri holidays and i had to wait for "RTO" to come back from hols to complete the registration.
Anyways to answer your question the waiting period is around 4 weeks.
kingpin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2010, 11:42   #236
BHPian

FE:
Manza < DZire

Driveability:
Manza< DZire

Space:
DZire<< Manza

Features:
DZire == Manza

Price:
DZire<<Manza (I mean Dzire is more expensive so compares unfavourably)

A.S.S:
Manza<<DZire

Manza is said to be more the executive's car but I don't know how many executives would be given this car unless only for airport pick-ups and drops. That said, DZire is no executive's car at all.
There're those who find DZire's looks to be quite agreeable as seen from the sales charts. If only the boot were positioned a little lower from the rear windscreen, it would have been a looker for me. Let's wait for a few more months for the charts to speak for the Manza too.
I would get a DZire if I'm to drive it mostly and I would get a Manza if I'm to be chauffeur driven mostly.
Delta Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2010, 12:08   #237
BHPian

[quote=YC.BALENO.CHD;1742953]No I do not own a car yet as am a student and the cars I use are our family's cars.

Palio 1.6 is no doubt a gem of a performer (by Indian standards) and SRV looks far better than any of my cars but then as an overall package none of the cars meet my key requirements, that is of a car that is engaging to drive yet does not comes with nightmarish aftersales. And I do not think that SRV is an involving car to drive.

How many days and how many kms have you run on SRV and you're giving this verdict?

Enough have been said about both the cars but TATA fans - There are NO TATA FANS on this Forum, but many Suzuki Fans. We only give unbiased opinion on any Car. Some people think that Suzuki is the Best in the World for its price, so we're enlightening that other manufacturers are also catching up despite loosing on profits.

Suzuki has got the advantage of Depreciated Plant & Machinery, or else others could've overtaken Suzuki long back (Price Advantage).

Last edited by jaaz : 2nd March 2010 at 12:14.
jaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2010, 12:19   #238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Ofcourse its a Fiat engine.
So what ? There is very little technical expertise of TATA serivce personal of the petrol engine. Their strong point is *Diesels*.
And, i would rather prefer a korean/japanese Petrol engine anyday, over a Fiat one. For diesels though, its the Fiat which has the upper hand, without any doubt. But petrol, no TATA (ok, TATA-FIAT) please.
Which ever Country manufacture's the Engines, its the Indian Mechanics who do the Service Job. Even for Suzuki, it's the same, the service people will be given training as well as Service Manuals to follow for trouble shooting.
jaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2010, 12:58   #239
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Looks like there is no debate going by the poll results so far on which is the popular choice.( on this forum)
mkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2010, 13:47   #240
BHPian

From the road presence perspective, Tata manza definitely looks better (probably one class above the dezire). I would compare dezire with old indigo instead.
ottocycle is offline   Reply With Quote