Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

View Poll Results: If I had to buy one of these two sedans today I will put my money on,
Swift DZire 76 23.46%
Tata Manza 248 76.54%
Voters: 324. You may not vote on this poll

Old 23rd March 2010, 14:22   #241
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
It all depends on who is buying it.
For a family man (with children), manza satisfies all requirements - space, comfort, safety, affordable maintenance, lavish boot, etc.

For the young or 'young-at-heart', dzire would appeal more - zippy drive would matter most for this segment. Also peer pressure (read 'image concious' youngsters) would pull him into maruti fold.

TATA cars were never favourites with ladies with its heavy steering and bulk. Wonder if Manza would appeal to women drivers. It's BIG and masculine appearance might end up distancing a lot of potential lady customers.
Proof of the pudding, fellow TBHPian kingpin lost his Manza to his wife.
(http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...e-beast-2.html (Manza (QJD AURA ABS)..My Royal White Beast!!))

Looks like even ladies are liking the Manza and finding it easy to drive. I can vouch for that as mom too likes it.

Coming to the topic of this thread, what is the current WL on the DZire? Has it come down to the more logical levels from the 6-9 months it was around Diwali time

Last edited by adits : 23rd March 2010 at 14:24.
adits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 13:46   #242
BHPian

+1 on that

My cousin's wife started using a Manza, which he bought for himself, while he was away on business trip. She liked it so much, that now he has to use the older vista, as she would not give up Manza for him no matter what
keyurshah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2010, 14:50   #243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by windiesel View Post
Y.C. Baleno, believe me, you're one hell of a lucky guy! BTW howcome the Baleno is conspicuous by its absence in your list of cars??
The cars in the above list are the ones which we have already sold/replaced. However, the list just got increased as the M800/Esteem/Astar have been disposed orf too. A used Gypsy shall be added to the garage and a Punto in a few months time. But going by the horror stories related to punto and TATA's aftersales, I'll be waiting for sometime and have a look at how POLO is recieved by the members here.

Coming back to the topic, is it really me or has the MANZA really started selling so well that I see more Manzas than Dzires here at lucknow.
Also, now that my eyes are more accustomed to manza it doesn't look as bad as before. It has more than a hint of many D-segment sedans in its roofline and pillars while that boot looks like it belongs to some American sedan.

The Dzire however still looks odd ball to me and I've noticed quite a few dzire owners opting for the body kit (side skirts,bumper clads,lip spoiler) but still it does not help.

Quote:
How many days and how many kms you have run on SRV and you're giving this verdict
@jaaz--I guess I won't be boasting if i tell you that even an average driver can find a car boring/fun after driving it for few kms.
I never commented upon reliability or build quality or ownership issues of SRV, but my friend, one good drive is enough for me to tell how exciting the car is and speaking of SRV, the excitement begins with the exterior and ends there. The engine response and the steering feel and feedback is not half as exciting as a baleno/ikon/fiesta.
I mean no offence to any owner/fan of SRV, but for me SRV is more of a POSEUR CAR than a DRIVER'S CAR, atleast in stock form.

Regards.

Last edited by YC.BALENO.CHD : 21st April 2010 at 15:08.
YC.BALENO.CHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2010, 14:55   #244
Senior - BHPian

The D zire on account of a lower kerb weight would be higher on Fuel Efficiency.

The deciding factor- Maruti has much better A.S.S and access.
arnabchak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2010, 16:31   #245
BHPian

Default Engine Not the same.

Tata manza and the dzire don't have the same engine AFAIK. The Manza has the 85 bhp VGT 1.3 Fiat engine which is on linea. Dzire has the same one which is on the swift and Punto.
vishnurp99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2010, 17:07   #246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
The D zire on account of a lower kerb weight would be higher on Fuel Efficiency.

The deciding factor- Maruti has much better A.S.S and access.
Sir, According to ARAI testing, Manza has a higher FE and tata FE is generally very good.

Though Maruti A.S.S is amongst the best, TASS has been improving great times. Infact, I am extremely happy with the servicing that I get on my vehicles.
Old 22nd April 2010, 12:43   #247
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyurshah View Post
Sir, According to ARAI testing, Manza has a higher FE and tata FE is generally very good.
Nope, according to ARAI, they are near identical (the Manza is NOT more FE than the Dzire).

However, we need to realise that the ARAI tests are merely indicative, and are conducted in "ideal conditions". In the real world, the Dzire gives better FE within the city. Reason : its lighter, and that the Manza needs more throttle at lower speeds. Check our TD reports on the portal, the Dzire was consistently 1.25 - 2.0 kpl more FE in the metro cities.

Quote:
Though Maruti A.S.S is amongst the best, TASS has been improving great times. Infact, I am extremely happy with the servicing that I get on my vehicles.
As an Indigo owner, I can tell you that Tata's after-sales leaves a LOT to be desired. Atleast in Bombay, it is NOT even a patch on Maruti.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2010, 15:59   #248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

As an Indigo owner, I can tell you that Tata's after-sales leaves a LOT to be desired. Atleast in Bombay, it is NOT even a patch on Maruti.

I have tried both Sai Service for my Maruti and Wasan, Om sai & Han for Tata vehicles. Though wouldnt put WAsan or Han in comparison, but I do find the service offered by Om Sai on par with that by Sai Service. Infact, of late I am finding the servicing by Sai Service unsatisfactory.

This is entirely based on my experiences with both A.S.S over past 7-8 years
Old 22nd April 2010, 22:13   #249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurp99 View Post
Tata manza and the dzire don't have the same engine AFAIK. The Manza has the 85 bhp VGT 1.3 Fiat engine which is on linea. Dzire has the same one which is on the swift and Punto.

AFAIK either you just returned to the country from some hiding in Afghanistan or you must have been preparing for IIT-JEE and had shut yourself up with nothing but loads of books.

No offence meant but coming from an auto enthusiast (you being a Tbhp member denotes it), its quite naive.

The 1.3 diesel from Fiat is used in more than half a dozen cars and I am quite surprised that you still think that the two cars in concern here sport different motors.
What's different is the engine mapping and the Turbocharger. The Manza gets the Variable Geometry unit and the Dzire gets the Fixed Geometry unit.That is where the difference in engine ends.
Both the cars otherwise have the same base motor.

Regards.
YC.BALENO.CHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 16:45   #250

Last week I have test driven Manza, Dzire. (Diesel)
Personally I did not find anything positive in Dzire compared to manza. Dzire is a little lighter compared to manza, probably you can expect a Km more on highway.
Ride quality, interiors, equipment, space, looks manza is far better than Dzire.
Manza is surely more refined compared to Indigo, but not improved significantly.
The road noise and Rattling sound etc was quite evident in dzire. (I did not expect that from dzire)
My pick would be manza.
vijayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2010, 23:04   #251
BHPian

the Manza seems to be a better car based on on-paper specs. I've driven neither the Manza nor the DZire so refrained from voting.
However the only thing that has yet kept me away from the Manza is Tata quality and specifically the endless list of problems occuring on my Indigo CS after the 50k Kms mark (2.5 yr old car - its at 57k right now) and the TASS' inability to fix them permanently. I will be TDíng both cars soon and then vote on this.
gomzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2010, 08:04   #252
Senior - BHPian

Red face

I had test driven the Manza during my serach for sedan but somehow the Tata quality and the omni present niggling issues simply put me off. When I had TDed the Manza it was just launched and Tata had refrained from offering TD's to cutomer in an effort to build a frenzy and was asking for nooking without a proper TD.

I did not TDed the Dzire since right from the beginning I was averse to the car since I thought it did not have an identity of its own, felt it was just an extension of swift and having driven my Bro-in law's swift, I was too skeptical of trying the car.

Both the model are plagued by reversing issues due to the high risen boot. Manza offered a lot of gizmos whereas the Dzire offers fuel efficiency. Very difficult to get similar features both cars.
ghodlur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2010, 00:32   #253
Senior - BHPian

hell, 252 posts and mine to add.

1. sportiness - dzire wins hands down
2. space - manza wins and will win in future too hands down
3. steering - dzire wins for the chunkiness while manza's leaves some more to be dzired!
4. bluetooth - after market kits are enough. according to me this is a distraction in itself, i avoid phone calls in the car.
5. gear shift - dzire wins again
6. turning radius - you have no idea how many small turns i've done on swift, with 4.7 it wins hands down against longer backside and 5.1m of manza
7. styling - honestly i look at a car from the inside, not the outside. when you are driving it, you are not going to look at yourself driving it. if looks are just the factor thats gonna get you into a car or not, read my posts and you will find more important factors to consider on a more serious note
8. suspension - i havent been in a manza or dzire at the rear. Somehow soft suspensions will scrape humps if not driven slowly on, like the hondas. stiff suspensions are good generally for people with back problems. they offer plenty of support.
9. cubbyholes - tata wins for their grand effort on the manza, i am pleased.

and the fight continues ..... coffee....toffee...coffee...toffee...
GeekSrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2010, 14:00   #254
BHPian

Manza, as a car wins hands down against the Dzire. But the sore points have been reliability and TASS.
I am still in a dilemma over which car to go for. I am mighily pleased by the Manza package but the horror stories about the TATA cars' quality really scare me.
Anyone on the forum got any horror stories about the quality or are these stories far and few?
Snazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2010, 15:44   #255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC.BALENO.CHD View Post
AFAIK either you just returned to the country from some hiding in Afghanistan or you must have been preparing for IIT-JEE and had shut yourself up with nothing but loads of books. No offence meant but coming from an auto enthusiast (you being a Tbhp member denotes it), its quite naive.
Cool down man. These were quiet harsh comments.

Quote:
The 1.3 diesel from Fiat is used in more than half a dozen cars and I am quite surprised that you still think that the two cars in concern here sport different motors. What's different is the engine mapping and the Turbocharger. The Manza gets the Variable Geometry unit and the Dzire gets the Fixed Geometry unit.That is where the difference in engine ends.
So end of the day what is similar, specs. wise, in 1.3 DDiS of Swift/Dzire and 1.3 MJD/QJD in Manza/Linea/Punto 90HP? Just the engine capacity right?

Quote:
Both the cars otherwise have the same base motor.
That is correct, same base motor but with higher power and torque in Manza QJD/Linea MJD/Punto 90HP.

Last edited by HammerHead : 9th August 2010 at 15:48.
HammerHead is offline   Reply With Quote