Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

View Poll Results: If I had to buy one of these two sedans today I will put my money on,
Swift DZire 76 23.46%
Tata Manza 248 76.54%
Voters: 324. You may not vote on this poll

Old 26th January 2010, 20:04   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
There is a demand but 6 months waiting period is just a marketing gimmick to hide their manufacturing inefficiency.
I've heard that MUL can make only 'x' nos. of engines at its plant in manesar as per the TOT with fiat hence the jacked up waiting period. Remember Fiat is Tata's partner not Maruti's. Why are still people standing in line? Coz we desi bhais want to always play it safe, follow the mob types!! As far as the better car is concerned it's really a no brainer just compare the features of base dzire model i.e the LDi (which does'nt even have a Tacho) and the base Manza ie the Aqua Qjet and you'll have the answer writ large.
windiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2010, 20:07   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
You do the same thing to dzire and it looks like swift. Its a known fact that both these sedans have been designed originally from hatchback. The only question is, which one has integrated it better, makes the sedan look proportionate and better looking, and from side and rear profile, manza is much better. this is just my opinion. i don't think one needs a trained eye to find out the difference. So will i say, once a Maruti always a Maruti?? No. Its just called platform sharing, if they can get to spawn more models of same platform and bring them profitable business, it does make economic and business sense. Good looks is just an advantage.

p.s: i am not sure if its true or not, but i think NHC was also derived from Jazz/Fit. I may be wrong. experts can clear this up. But in case it is, the integration is quite good and makes it look good.
Hello Chevelle, i agree completely, about the economic feasibility in platform sharing. All of Tata's cars have been doing that. Hence i said Once a Tata always a Tata. Taking maruti into account, they do it too. But the end product is very different. Swift/Dzire is one family. Then you have A Star, Ritz and a whole lot which do not resemble each other. With Tata, its different. Indica to Indigo to Manza, end product does not vary much (overall exterior i mean).
rjalihal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2010, 20:17   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
Regarding TATA building cars on identical platform, well its Maruti Suzuki who has more cars rather "different Shells" build on the same platform!!

M800 & Omni
Alto, Wagon R & Zen Estilo
Swift, DZire, Ritz & A-Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjalihal View Post
Indica, Indigo and Manza share similarities. Swift and Dzire also are the same car, one comes with a boot. Yes i see that. The point i am trying to make is that while both Maruti and Tata build cars on the same platform, the end result of maruti is quite different. Swift/Dzire, Ritz and A Star look quite different from each other. In Tata, Indica/Indigo/Manza look quite similar. So from Indica, they made a saloon. Now they made that to a luxury car. Accepted. See they have 1 car itself. In different avatars. Thats the way i see it, thats all. Swift/Dzire is also the same but dont look alike any other Maruti siblings from the same platform they share. End of the day, of the new cars coming out, looks matter too. Taking that into account TO ME Swift DZire is better than Manza. I am no car expert, they say Manza Diesel packs more punch
than the DZire VDi. Until the day i drive it, i stand by my opinion.
IIRC, A-Star doesn't share same platform with Swift and Ritz. Its a different platform.

Just come to think of this, TATA with just 1 platform is creating so much debates, what would happen if TATA was to launch hatchbacks and sedans on different platform a la Maruti?

A $30k 328i shares similar platform with a $60k m3 and m3 sedan. They have maintained the family look. You don't see m3 sedan users complaining like you do. What's wrong if a luxury saloon is manufactured from a hatchback? Just an analogy to make you understand.

I would suggest, you take a test drive of Manza. Trust me, your perception will change.

Last edited by chevelle : 26th January 2010 at 20:23.
chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2010, 20:39   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
But the manza looks like it was designed by a bunch of dyslexic school kids.
This is totally uncalled for & unacceptable. Wonder how did it pass thru the MODS and remains still unedited? Reminds me of Obama and his special olympics comments on Jay Leno show, which he had to apologise for subsequently.
sanjayc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2010, 20:43   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
IIRC, A-Star doesn't share same platform with Swift and Ritz. Its a different platform.
Here is some info from Overdrive.in

Quote:
Like the Splash (the fourth of Suzuki’s world strategic model) and SX4, the A-Star also uses an adaptation of the Swift’s platform and so expect sporty dynamics to be an integral factor in her appeal.
A-Star is indeed based on Swift's platform!!
HammerHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2010, 20:57   #81
BHPian

Quote:
The one and only advantage the Manza has over the Dzire is "space" and nothing else.forget all the gizmos and stuff.
If you want to forget all the 'Gizmos and Stuff' maybe a bullock cart will be the ideal vehicle. Hang on pal, say Bollocks to the Bullocks too, and vote for just the Cart in this years ICOTY!!
windiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2010, 21:13   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Now its time for list of differences between Swift and Swift DZire.
1. Boot
2. Boot
100. Boot
101. Oh yeah,I got one more DZire has some chrome on grill which Swift lacks!!
Anything else??

Note: I did not take any pain to find differences between Swift & DZire. Can any TATA basher or DZire lover take some time to list the differences??
CMON DEAR...

U ll feel once you sit on the back seat.
It has a wider and bigger seat at the back (4 inches longer for better thigh support), softer suspension and less claustrophobic rear compared to the swift.
Its ride is bit more softer coz of the suspension set up and its not as good as a swift at cornering ( I dont do 100kmph corners )
And it comes in ZDI with airbags and abs.

I m not a tata basher. I just consider that dzire s better than Manza. May be Manza has more space but does not translate to a better package.

The same cause why the Dzire ll sell more than Manza.
Just havin cheap buttons on the steering or a spartan bluetooth music system with chineese chepo blue lighting ll not make manza a better package
sandygordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2010, 21:31   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
Come on man, I think you can be more objective than that. I remember in another thread you said that "a little criticism never hurt anybody" (this too was a Tata thread, don't remember which one though) and I totally agreed that constructive criticism is always helpful.

I am sorry to say, this post reeks of your having an inherent bias. I find the bit about dyslexic kids designing the car particularly offensive. You can simply say that you hate the Manza and liked the way the Dezire looks (totally fine with that, it's your personal opinion after all).
well someone's keeping tabs ,By the way neither tata or maruthi or any car company is paying me for my views . Its purely personal and subjective.
that's one way of putting the manza's design.It seems i have started a little riot regarding the looks of the manza.
Let me put it in very simple words regarding the styling of the Manza and the Dzire so that everyone can understand.
Manza- Poor Integration of a average looking hatchback and a large boot.
Dzire- Average integration of a Decent looking Hatchback and a normal sized boot.

Regarding the Alloy and the steel wheel issue.
all fiat cars(atleast in india) come only with four alloys and the spare as a steel wheel.

Last edited by vinaydas : 26th January 2010 at 21:34.
vinaydas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2010, 21:41   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Manza- Poor Integration of a average looking hatchback and a large boot.
Dzire- Average integration of a Decent looking Hatchback and a normal sized boot.
This is my view.
Manza- Decent Integration of boot to an average looking hatchback.
Dzire - Horrible integration of boot to a great looking Hatchback.

I was under the impression that this was the general impression as well.
Now I see that many people think otherwise, good for Dzire.
sivadas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2010, 21:47   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here is some info from Overdrive.in

A-Star is indeed based on Swift's platform!!
Maruti Suzuki A-Star Breaks Own Record Again - Swift DZire - Zimbio

Here is a link that says, its build on a new platform.

Don't know about the reliability of the info. So i may as well believe you and go with overdrive. The statement, though says, its an adaption, so i am not sure if its based on the same platform, they may have built a different platform taking clues from swift's platform.

Don't know whom to believe. Need to search in depth.
Old 26th January 2010, 21:54   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadas View Post
This is my view.
Manza- Decent Integration of boot to an average looking hatchback.
Dzire - Horrible integration of boot to a great looking Hatchback.

I was under the impression that this was the general impression as well.
Now I see that many people think otherwise, good for Dzire.
A poll would seriously clear up who bhpians think is better. Otherwise, this debate will go on and on.

And many of the manza 'haters' are still stuck with interiors, which makes me think, either they haven't test drove one to comment on how good engine, nvh, ride and handling is or they are ignoring it as its a bit ahead of dzire in those terms.
Old 26th January 2010, 22:24   #87
Senior - BHPian

Irrespective of what one thinks about either car's look,build type etc etc.. The fact is a common man would pick a Maruti any day over Tata.
sachinj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2010, 22:26   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjalihal View Post
Care to explain why?

Wow! I guess you must be working for TATA. Nice try at sarcasm my friend. Dont take it so personally, I never said Tata was that lousy (the way you reacted). They can still continue making cars! You truly are hilarious!
Thanks for understanding my sense of humour.
akhilesh51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2010, 22:35   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh51 View Post
Thanks for understanding my sense of humour.
@akhilesh: you and I are in the same boat
Amartya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2010, 03:01   #90
Senior - BHPian

The strange thing is when comparing the Manza to the Dzire, the Tata bashers resort to speculations about inferior quality, poor 'boot integration', unreliability etc..etc...
But none of them produce anything real about the Manza suffering from these problems, either in their own experience (rather than fiction), Manza owners complaining about the same, or any other data on team bhp.
This can be only because feature to feature, pound to pound the Manza trumps the dzire more ways than one. I'm sure no one would be really able to pin point where this superiority of the dzire's interiors is compared to the Manza. With the kind of progress Tata is making the naysayers will soon have to opt for reasoning like, the new Tata model carries evil spirits inside them!!!!
shortbread is offline   Reply With Quote