Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

View Poll Results: If I had to buy one of these two sedans today I will put my money on,
Swift DZire 76 23.46%
Tata Manza 248 76.54%
Voters: 324. You may not vote on this poll

Old 27th January 2010, 08:42   #91
Senior - BHPian

The TATAs have great build quality. Sturdy body shell. But poor plastics and interiors. Its great VFM too.

The DZire on the other hand has a gem of an engine(Tuned to the best), better interiors and plastics, and the legendary Maruti A.S.S.

Coming to looks, you cant draw a line here. Both look Fugly to me
DRIV3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2010, 11:42   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
The strange thing is when comparing the Manza to the Dzire, the Tata bashers resort to speculations about inferior quality, poor 'boot integration', unreliability etc..etc...
But none of them produce anything real about the Manza suffering from these problems, either in their own experience (rather than fiction), Manza owners complaining about the same, or any other data on team bhp.
This can be only because feature to feature, pound to pound the Manza trumps the dzire more ways than one. I'm sure no one would be really able to pin point where this superiority of the dzire's interiors is compared to the Manza. With the kind of progress Tata is making the naysayers will soon have to opt for reasoning like, the new Tata model carries evil spirits inside them!!!!
Agree totally with every word . All the Dzire owners are smarting that there is a better car out there that they did'nt end up buying , inspite of being on tbhp . Too bad. Now make more people believe the unDzireable is the better car, and win by democratic means because more people have the wrong notion that they believe is correct.Democracy shining!

If you want to buy the Dzire go ahead and buy it. No one has the right to prevent you. At least don't create FUD based on claims not backed by facts.
rpmx1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2010, 12:16   #93
BHPian

Default Well said

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
The strange thing is when comparing the Manza to the Dzire, the Tata bashers resort to speculations about inferior quality, poor 'boot integration', unreliability etc..etc...
But none of them produce anything real about the Manza suffering from these problems, either in their own experience (rather than fiction), Manza owners complaining about the same, or any other data on team bhp.
This can be only because feature to feature, pound to pound the Manza trumps the dzire more ways than one. I'm sure no one would be really able to pin point where this superiority of the dzire's interiors is compared to the Manza. With the kind of progress Tata is making the naysayers will soon have to opt for reasoning like, the new Tata model carries evil spirits inside them!!!!
Very well said there shortbread. There is a thread on T-BHP which shows that MUL has taken so much efforts to keep the cost of the Dzire low that they have not bothered even to change the CG of the Dzire from that of the swift which has to ideally change due to boot addition. Hence when you see the Dzire with 5 occupants travelling at speeds in excess of 60, the rear goes down as if it will be taking off. Also TATA is the only company in India which has a crash test facility and tests its cars there. All the companies have their pros and cons so all you Korean and Jap fan boys here give it a rest. I have 3 Marutis in the family including a 2009 Dzire ZXI and I know how they rattle post 15-20K on the odo, sometimes its earlier. I personally prefer the Manza and am trying to book it in April. Anyone seen a fat kid running away from bullies?? Does that remind you of any car buddies.Lol

Further to this, I would prefer to reach from A-B safely rather than watching the plastic quality and crashing my car somewhere

Last edited by MihirC : 27th January 2010 at 12:20.
MihirC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2010, 12:31   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
Irrespective of what one thinks about either car's look,build type etc etc.. The fact is a common man would pick a Maruti any day over Tata.
You are totally right. But the t-bhpians are not common men. They are more knowledgeable and savvy. They should make their decisions based on Merit, not just based on Brand name or Heritage. I doubt any bhpian will book a car with out a road test, but that is not the case with the average man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
its Maruti Suzuki who has more cars rather "different Shells" build on the same platform!!
M800 & Omni
Alto, Wagon R & Zen Estilo
Swift, DZire, Ritz & A-Star
Maruti themselves announced recently, there are too many derivatives based on the same platform and planning to reduce this in the future.

Last edited by teamveevee : 27th January 2010 at 12:35.
teamveevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2010, 12:56   #95
BHPian

Manza & Dzire dont have the same engine in absolute terms. Manza has a VGT where as the Dzire has the FGT making the Manza more desirable!!
Maverick1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2010, 13:00   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MihirC View Post
MUL has taken so much efforts to keep the cost of the Dzire low that they have not bothered even to change the CG of the Dzire from that of the swift which has to ideally change due to boot addition.
Even the wheelbase remains the same as the swift and the only change is the rear seat backrest inclination angle. The Manza is definetely is a better package with a more powerful engine (diesel) at the same price. And +1 to the dezire rattling after 20 odd thousand kilometers..

guys we need a pole.. I'm sure the results will say a lot as to how much better, an automobile, the manza is.. How can we add one?

Last edited by Zappo : 28th January 2010 at 01:20. Reason: Do not unnecessarily break your posts down into multiple pieces.
fiat_tarun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2010, 15:09   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
Just havin cheap buttons on the steering or a spartan bluetooth music system with chineese chepo blue lighting ll not make manza a better package
Well can you explain why you call it a spartan bluetooth music system?
I confirmed from a Manza owner on TBHP that its a Blaupunkt bluetooth music system!!

I understand that the OEM systems are lack luster when it comes to sound quality due to cheap speakers but this one with bluetooth and USB connectivity is still a spartan system??
HammerHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2010, 15:17   #98
BHPian

Just to add..

I am in look for a new Sedan to replace my parents ageing Zen and shortlisted Dezire and Manza. I went to one of the Maruti dealer at Thiruvalla and promptly got a reply that currently they don't have any test drive vehicles and Dezire has waiting period upto 7 months!!. I asked , I am looking for petrol and he promptly replied "Sir you will get Diesel in 3 months and for petrol the waiting perod is 6 to 7 months. I just looked at a parked Dezire and pushed off to Kottayam thinking that I can have a test drive of Manza.

In kottayam , as far I know, the Tata dealer is Kulathunkal motors. I parked my car outside and went to the showroom. The showroom is a very old building almost 100 years old and can come down any time. There were only 1 or 2 Sumo parked and no Tata or Fiat cars. I just entered and met a person there. I was enquiring about Manza car and he is talking back about Sumo Grande!!. Finally he agreed to send Linea and Manza to my parents house which is near Aranmula ,almost 50 KMs from Kottayam. This happened on 23rd Jan and till now they not send the vehicle and not even called me . I am just wondering how the service if I buy Manza !!!

Gopi.

Last edited by shalini_g : 27th January 2010 at 15:23.
shalini_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2010, 15:21   #99
Senior - BHPian

Waiting period of 7 months for Dzire is non sense.Petrol dzire is delivered within a month will diesel is given within 3 months.
sachinj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2010, 15:52   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalini_g View Post
In kottayam , as far I know, the Tata dealer is Kulathunkal motors.

Gopi.
Kottayam ^Authorized^ TATA Dealer is St.Anthony's Automobiles .Kulathunkal's Billing is from Trivandrum AFAIK.Kulathunkal's showroom is easily found while St.Anthony's is at Thannikapady,KK Road.

Last edited by deepclutch : 27th January 2010 at 15:57.
deepclutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2010, 17:14   #101
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Except for suspect niggles, and Tata's after-sales service (relative to Marutis), the Manza is clearly the superior car. More linear power delivery, far better interior space, substantially superior ride quality and build that feels more solid. Car versus car, my vote goes to the Manza.

I've always thought of the Dzire as a terribly average sedan. No great shakes, and not without flaw (e.g. rear seat space + ride quality). Of course, don't even get me started on that rear end design.

Last edited by GTO : 27th January 2010 at 17:16.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2010, 17:20   #102
SCH
BHPian

Thanks for all the responses, yeah sure Manza is definately better when it comes to the overall design . Just adding to the discussion would not the limited edition Ford Diesel 1.4 be a better bet then Manza and Dezire, although the price difference would be around 50K.
SCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2010, 17:25   #103
BHPian

I really beg to differ with every one who says that Tata's service is bad. I have been driving a Vista since more than a year & have found their service much much better than Maruti's. Mind you I have been a very loyal Maruti owner, having owned & drive 5 diff models over a period of 15 years now.
Maverick1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2010, 17:32   #104
BHPian

Some people have a mentality "Good sales = Good Car". That is not always true. If it was, then Palio 1.6 and Baleno would have been a huge hit sales wise. But they were not doing good numbers despite Baleno being a Maruti product. So i suggest the thread starter not to go by the sales figures.

Test drive a Manza and I am sure many people would change their preconceived idea about Tata cars. They are not bad these days. I was converted once I test drove the Vista. Not that I was a fan of the handling, but I found it a better value for money package than the Swift. Or else, I would have been eagerly waiting for a Swift diesel now (long wait after booking). Same applies for Manza and DZire (in my case).

And from my limited experience, Tata service is not bad. You might have to spend a little more time at the TASC to make sure everything is done to your satisfaction, but I would never rate them bad. They are good, but not excellent. That's all.

Last edited by DieselAddikt : 27th January 2010 at 17:33.
DieselAddikt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2010, 23:06   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalini_g View Post
In kottayam , as far I know, the Tata dealer is Kulathunkal motors.
You should try St Antonys, They provide much better service..In a nice building too on KK Road.. Also you have Popular Mega Motors in Tiruvalla?

Last edited by teamveevee : 27th January 2010 at 23:23.
teamveevee is offline   Reply With Quote